Cover Image: Murder On Mustique

Murder On Mustique

I was attracted to this title imagining a cozy crime piece of fiction with a laid back vibe featuring the idyllic location of Mustique, the island a favourite holiday destination amongst the rich and famous.  Think hedonistic lifestyles and a constant party atmosphere, where in the past the likes of Mick Jagger and David Bowie have rubbed shoulders with royalty, such as the likes of Princess Margaret. The thought of spending long relaxing days sipping cocktails laying on white sandy beaches, residing in a luxurious villa, your every whim attended to and swimming in cerulean coloured waters, exploring the coral reef seems worlds away from my life and my idea of absolute heaven. In this novel the author has drawn on her own personal experiences to transport the reader to this Caribbean island and although I’ve never watched the TV series, in my mind I had visions of a death in paradise type storyline, Mustique a fantastic setting for a murder mystery given the lack of any real crime that purportedly takes place here.

Lord and Lady Blake are privileged and wealthy enough to own a home on this island, and it is in preparation for their goddaughter Lily Calder’s 21st birthday celebrations, with tropical storm Cristobal approaching that this murder mystery takes place. Only the rich and famous have homes here, from former Hollywood actors to ageing rock stars and American socialites and it is one New York socialite, Amanda Fortini and her sudden disappearance from the island that is when this storyline really begins. Best friends with Lily and well known to Lady Veronica  (or Vee as she is referred to throughout), Amanda’s disappearance is an unusual scenario that the islanders are facing. Nothing bad normally happens here so naturally there is cause for alarm especially as her disappearance bears resemblance to that of Lily’s mother Emily years before. With only one policeman/detective Solomon Nile resident on the island it’s imperative the young lady is located ahead of the incoming storm and Lily’s planned celebrations. If a crime has been committed then it’s up to Solomon to bring the culprit to justice. Is he the man for the job?

The storyline is one that encompasses not only a missing person but also has a heavy emphasis on the work Lily is diligently undertaking to ensure the future of the coral reefs. Why does she sense she’s being watched and/or followed and why can’t she shrug off the thought something terrible has befallen her friend? Do the answers lie with Amanda’s ex boyfriend Tommy Rothmore?  If Amanda isn’t found alive and well there’s a danger someone on the island is up to no good; maybe  a killer is on the loose and this will turn into a murder investigation. Given some strange behaviour displayed by more than one resident in this tropical paradise plus the  touch of voodoo magic known as obeah hanging in the air, you have the makings of what should prove to be an enjoyable and entertaining read.

There are some colourful characters living on the island including Lady Vee herself. It doesn’t take much imagination to realise Lady Vee is clearly modelled on the author. She makes the most unlikely woman to aid Solomon in his search for the missing girl, given her age and standing so I couldn’t help feeling there is a comical, farcical nature to the proceedings that I’m sure is not the author’s intentions. Lady Vee’s lifestyle is the kind most of us can only dream of with butler Wesley a much valued member of her household. I suppose she’s a figure most of us would find impossible to relate to since she inhabits another world which is full of glamour and famous friends and acquaintances. Her good friend actor Philip Everard, ex guitarist and playboy Keith Belmont, mute gardener Jose Gomez and artist Madame Toulaine are just some of the islanders you become acquainted with over the course of this novel. Each have their roles to play as Solomon endeavours to solve this mystery.

Unfortunately this is where my positive thoughts end and my negative ones take over. I felt the plot line descends quickly into the realms of the unbelievable with dialogue at times sounding comical. I just wasn’t convinced by the writing that also feels old fashioned and had me laughing aloud in places where perhaps I shouldn’t have been! Whilst it’s a valiant attempt, for me it doesn’t work and I found the character of Detective Solomon Nile faintly ridiculous. In terms of creating a vivid atmosphere this is an area where the author did win me over and overall this is a quick read that is only mildly entertaining, the narrative failing to captivate me,hence my low rating of two stars. At the end there is an extract from Lady Glenconner’s memoir Lady in Waiting, detailing her life and relationship with Princess Margaret which appeals to my love of social history and in hindsight is a book I’d probably enjoy more and would definitely read. My thanks as always to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review.
Murder on Mustique is a deliciously satisfying exotic read for whodunnit fans. I love crime, but (sorry folks) can't bear those set in gritty inner cities or dour environments. The backdrop of the island of Mustique is perfectly painted by a woman who knows it best. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this but it bypassed any preconceived notions I had about it being a light fluffy padded out read. Glenconner is a surprisingly deft and funny crime writer. In the opening pages a young entitled socialite goes missing, I did think oh here we go...but as the story unfolds into why she is missing and her work with a friend on saving the coral reefs around the island (bear with it - it's fascinating!) I was hooked. When another socialite is murdered and strange voodoo etchings on bits of coral  are found close to those who had been killed the plot flies. Glenconner paints a fabulous cast of characters from the local police to the island's eccentric home owners, to the supporting islanders many of whom are staff and are rather fond of the millionaires who live on the private island - and the fondness is returned. This is a riveting escapist read which I adored. I really hope Lady Vee returns to help solve more crimes.
Mustique is a beautiful island in the middle of nowhere, paradise to celebrities and millionaires. A storm's brewing and bodies are turning up. People you thought you knew and loved are all suspects but nothing adds up. Stand in soloman Nile's shoes as mustique's detective in this dramatic thriller. You won't be able to put it down!
Enjoyable mystery novel - felt a bit like a combination of ‘Death in Paradise’, and a country house mystery. The different lives of the islanders, and their places in its society, added extra interest.
A fresh tropical spin on a cosy crime. Set on mustique you get the island setting, sunshine on every page and the black  cloud, not just in the form of a storm but a murder that sets to cause even more damage.

I thought it was interesting to have the royal connections merged in with the story but as I was reading it, it was a little obvious that the author really wanted you to know about her royal connections incase you'd forgotten.

A nice little mystery but less name dropping next time please.
Oh I loved this book! Every now and then there’s a book you wish you hadn’t read as quickly as you did - so you could still spend time finishing it... but it was so good I finished it in three days!

Baroness Glenconners insights into the Mustique era of the parties, glitz and glamour of the 50s and 60s. Princess Margaret was gifted a ten-acre plot as a wedding present (Les Jolies Eaux) by Lady Anne’s former husband (the 3rd Lord Glenconner) who bought most of the island in 1958. Her personal experiences of life on Mustique are integrated into the story and make it come alive.

This is the perfect book for fans of Agatha Christie who want a touch of romance and island life in a story. It was exotic, mysterious and I had no idea who the ‘murderer’ was until the very end of the book! I loved Niles police character and learning about Lily - I’d love to read another follow on book featuring those characters again. I found myself googling the locations discussed in the book and wishing to visit Mustique... if only! I have to admit it was unusual reading a book where one of the main characters / voices is a more elderly woman but her history, curiosity and ferocious independence made her incredibly likeable.

The book is beautifully written and I would recommend it to anyone - I wish I had a hard copy that I could share. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
Disappointing.  I nearly gave up after 20% but in respect for the author I finished the book.  I  got the feeling that the author decided on the villain when the book was almost finished. Having chosen the least likely culprit, she then had to make extremely spurious reasons for committing the crime.  Unfortunately, the book is narrated by Lady Vee, who constantly name drops and keeps telling the reader how wonderful she is.
This was a fascinating story with an historical background. Very wealthy people , living a protected life on an private island, when murder start occurring. Real twist in the tail and a great conclusion.
As the title says this story takes place on Mustique, it is written by an author who knows the island and it’s people very well. It is descriptive and interesting.
I didn't find too much in this book for me to really like.
My last review felt by comparison like an episode of Midsomer Murders and this book reminded me a lot of an episode of Death In Paradise but where the main character is an English Lady rather than an eccentric English detective.
The pace of the book is good and you do have a choice of culprits to keep you guessing throughout. The book lacked good twists although the revelation of the murderer was good.
A light read and if you are into detective novels then it could be for you
Complex thriller set in the luxury island of Mystique. A strange mix of a novel.not much depth. Surprise twists.
Mustique, the small private Caribbean island known for its white-sand beaches and legendary parties, conjures up images of glamour and elegance. In this compelling novel, tropical storm Cristobal is just about to hit this paradise island when a young American holidaymaker, Amanda Fortini, goes missing during an ocean swim and is later found murdered. Her disappearance sorely tests the abilities of the island’s only police offer, DS Samuel Wilton, who finds the local community strangely unwilling to help. Samuel encounters an unexpected source of help and advice in the personality of Lady Veronica Innerleithen, however: she is the co-owner and property developer of Mustique. Veronica has her own reasons for wanting to help Samuel: she has never got over the disappearance, of her god-daughter’s mother many years ago that happened in similar circumstances to Amanda’s. But sadly, Amanda and Lily’s mother are not the only women to disappear on this heavenly island…
With cleverly drawn characters, wonderful island descriptions and a tense plot that depicts the febrile, claustrophobic atmosphere in the aftermath of a crime in a small, secluded community, this novel offers not only an insight into a privileged Caribbean lifestyle but also a generous distraction from cold, wet UK autumns to those who choose to read it. Thoroughly recommended!
The book is set on the glamorous island of Mustique and is an old fashioned who done it starting with Lady Vee flying back to the island to support her Goddaughter who is upset over her friend Amanda having gone missing. DS Solomon Miles is a protege of Lady Vee and has returned to the island with his own problems eating away at him.

I noticed at least 2 errors that I thought would have been picked up by the proof readers, when Solomon  is invited to a jam session it’s on a Sunday, on the next page it’s a Saturday. It’s also really annoying to have the Princess Margaret’s name popping up so frequently as if the reader needed reminding of the author’s royal connection.
Mustique is a real private island, full of rich and exclusive abodes; and the author is writing semi-autobiographically about the island and lifestyle. Richly evocative of luxury life, this is a interesting diversion from the standard murder mystery novel. Lady Veronica (Vee), former lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret (like the author herself) is in her own words roaming round like a ‘tropical Miss Marple’ after the disappearance of a wealthy young socialite on the island. The missing woman, Amanda, is a close friend of Lady Vee’s goddaughter, and was helping her with her project to save Mustique’s coral reef. It seems her disappearance could be related to the Reef Revival scheme, although almost everyone on the island understands how vital the project is, leaving it unclear how this could be the motive. While a storm bears down on the island, and the safety of Lady Vee’s goddaughter is threatened, Lady Vee and a young police officer named Solomon Miles attempt to make sense of some strange clues with limited resources.

Whilst I didn’t find the rich and celebrity aspect of the story to be particularly likeable or relatable, Lady Vee’s empathy with other characters is endearing, the writing style engaging, and I was invested in the plot, making it a very fast-paced read. A tropical murder mystery was also a good pick me up as we head into the autumnal weather. Overall enjoyable.

My thanks to #NetGalley and Hodder and Stoughton for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review. This book is out on the 12th November in the UK.

#bookstagram #bookreviews #booklove  #MurderonMustique #AnneGlenconner #Murdermystery
The out of office has been on this week and I've finally had time to do some reading! First up was Murder on Mustique by Anne Glenconner, a perfect holiday read set on the luxury island where there's never any crime and the super rich inhabitants have a perfect life (spoiler, there is crime and nothing is as perfect as it seems). It was pretty genteel but with a really good whodunnit, centered around the disappearance of one girl and what looks to be a murder. (I'm fascinated by the narrator and how autobiographical parts of it are. Not the crime but the people and the place and the fearless Lady Vee.) And I definitely wasn't at all jealous reading about the perfect surroundings while staying in our van in a slightly mizzly Wales, but yesterday the sun shone and I swam in the sea pretending it was the Carribbean (it definitely wasn't the Carribbean and it was freezing). Would recommend. Thanks @netgalley for the arc.
An entertaining mystery set on an exotic island with a variety of good characters and policeman. It lost a star for me as I don't think that the continuing harping back to the days when the main character was lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret and all the associated name dropping or the rich and famous spending time upon the island added anything to the story. Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
I found this a fascinating book to read.  I was about three-quarters of the way through it when I made the connection - Anne Glenconner is Lady Glenconner who was actually a lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret.  Her character is disguised as Lady Vee, but it made me wonder how much of the story is fiction and how much is autobiographical.  It doesn't matter either way as it's a cracking story.  Not only kept me interested, but I ended up reading it in one sitting.

Loved it.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I read a free advance review copy of the book.  This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion.
I quite enjoyed this book, although it is certainly no literary masterpiece.  It is pretty much an autobiographical based mystery set on a well known island. I am sure most people have heard about the high  end names who live or holiday there.  Most people will have imagined it over the years, so it is nice to put  a bit more flesh on the bones to get some lovely descriptions of the villas and lifestyles there.
I did feel that the plot was a little bit confusing in parts, the policeman is called Solomon in one chapter and Nile (his surname) in the next. This goes on throughout. A little bit of consistency would help I think.  I does not detract from a good read for a cold day, when a sunny island is but a distant memory.
A charming read but a very shaky plot. Easy to settle down and read in one sitting. Good descriptions of how the rich use their time on Mustique. Lots of name dropping too.
Thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for the copy of this book
Wow! This is an amazing book, written by an equally amazing lady.

The story is beautifully crafted, full of wonderful personal touches.

Very exciting with a few very well hidden surprises.

Very highly recommended.

Anne Glenconner's autobiography Lady in Waiting is also an excellent read.