Cover Image: Born Killers?

Born Killers?

I’m interested in true crime and the psychology of crime so was interested in reading this book.

From the outset, it’s clear the author has a lot of experience as a forensic psychologist, and has worked with criminals and the police for many years.

All the cases focused on are American as that’s where the author lives and works. Some of the cases are well known, e.g. O. J. Simpson but not every one is a famous case.  The author is drawing on his experiences which gives a more authentic feel to the book.

It’s quite readable and interesting. There were some words where I was unsure of the meaning and when I looked them up I felt the word used was a bit unnecessary.

Overall, if you’re a fan of true crime and psychology I would recommend this book.
Very insightful look into the world of the forensic psychologist and some of the huge high profile cases of murder and terrorism
Having read some of the works of Robert Ressler and John Douglas, I was instantly attracted to the premise of Born Killers?

Here, in a very matter-of-fact/call it as it is tone, Dr Kris Mohandie talks about several types of criminal minds: serial killers, violent true believers, mass shooters, stalkers, and even false victims; and the structures that allow them to operate: lack of more stringent gun control laws, failures in mental healthcare, and a culture that emphasises “instant gratification and notoriety.”

This is a very informative book that refuses to glorify criminal behaviour and is committed to respect the victims of such acts. Having first-hand experience on the matter, Dr Mohandie is able to elucidate some of the causes that may lead to criminal behaviour, while not allowing these to be used as excuses. He also provides his own suggestions on how to manage threat, even if he is aware that most of them require deep political and societal changes.
An extremely fascinating book covering the world of murderers from a psychological perspective.
Very well written, capturing the imagination, meaning this is a book you won't want to put down.
Based on the authors experiences working with various agencies and police forces such as the FBI and LAPD spanning over thirty years across the USA.
The only slight negative is the authors use of swear words within the text, to me these add nothing and only detract from the otherwise excellent work.
Fantastic book, highly recommended.
Much of the book is the author's own personal thoughts on American culture. A lot of comments are quite political. I found that the description of the book did not meet the content unfortunately. It gives off a perception of the description of murders in their mind but I found this was not the case. Maybe a change in description and title would be helpful.
This is a great book, a good one so well written and interesting and it made me want to read more from Dr Kris Mohandie!

5 stars
As a part time student of criminal psychology and someone who has always been fascinated with the subject, I have read a lot of books on true crime and the psyche of criminals.
I can honestly say that this is the best one.
Thorough, detailed, fascinating and hugely informative, this was a book that I could not put down.
A must-read for fans of true crime everywhere, particularly those with a specific interest in Psychology.
Truly brilliant.
A very rare 5 stars from me.
Although focused mainly on American cases, this was an interesting whistle-stop tour through different types of killers, including serial killers and high school shooters. Cases were described and suggestions for motivation were given and the psychological perspectives explained. Thoroughly worth a read!
The first part of this book where the author writes about his time with the LAPD is weirdly defensive which is off-putting because I'd expect a mental health professional to have a bit more insight into why people might be critical of the forces approach to complex situations.

There are some interesting case studies and a sense of the author's own development as his career progresses but on the whole, I found this an awkward book to read, there is an absence at its heart.
Dr Kris gives us the reader a great insight into his 30-year career with analysis of infamous USA cases of hostage-takers, serial killers, mass murderers, violent 'true-believers', terrorists, and some of the worst criminals in recent modern history. Each chapter dives deep into the psychology of the criminal, including socio, political, and culture influences, the relevant litigation, and cases that Dr Kris had personal insight in. A highly intelligent and addictive read, this is a must for any budding criminal psychologist, true crime fan, or Netflix crime series obsessive, like my good self!
DR Kris has appeared on CBS, CNN, BBC, and hosted the investigative discovery shows Most Evil and Breaking Homicide
This is a fascinating read from someone who has seen the dark side of our society and tries not only to understand it but to treat it. This book evaluates a number of known cases over the years as well as people he has met and dealt with in his career and is a really interesting read.
I'm a psychotherapist in real life and very interested in forensic psychology. Whilst there is no doubting Dr Kris Mohandie's clinical expertise, his writing style is quite dry and academic and I just found it not very compelling. I think if you have no professional interest in the field you may find this book quite hard going, I certainly did.
I have read a lot of true crime and often the same cases are raked over again and again, with only information readily available to the public.  However this is different, the author gives interesting personal insight backed up with theory and reference to other research and opinions by respected psychologists.  He also talks about the individuals he has met and interviewed, some familiar but many I hadn’t heard of which again adds appeal.  There are a range of killers discussed, which is different from the often over glorified and gory serial killers at the front of public consciousness.
The author is also refreshing in that although talking about his experiences does not provide long drawn out egotistical details.
Enjoyable from the first chapter right to the end, would certainly recommend and would read more by the author.
If you are at all interested in serial killers, stalkers, etc then this book is for you. Although everything is based on the US in the book as a British citizen it was still great to read.

Dr Kris Mohandie, the author, has over 30 years experience in the psychology of violence and has worked extensively with the FBI and LAPD on many high profile cases and has also hosted and produced a couple of TV shows in America.

The book does not give out graphic descriptions but does give you an idea of forensic psychology in the US. The book is written in a semi-autobiographical format and although you may not agree with his political views and American culture but  you will find the book interesting and thought provoking..

The chapters on serial killers and the one on stalkers are very interesting as they will relate to cases that you have heard of and can relate too but having said that the whole book is well worth a read.

I also particularly liked the referencing as it contains web links for further reading.

Although the book came out on the 3rd September, I did receive and advance copy for the Kindle on agreement that I would post a review of the book. Many thanks to all at NetGalley, the publishers and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this very frightening but interesting book.
A. Interesting and I intriguing read. It was fascinating reading about different cases, some of which are infamous. I am glad this book didn’t have any horrific details of the crimes committed.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
this book is an informative , entertaining read that spares the reader the graphic and disturbing descriptions of similar books..
If you're looking for gory descriptions of vile murders you won't get those in this book,if you want an insight into aberrant behaviour, and not just that of killers,it's an entertaining and thought- provoking read.
This is a fascinating insight into what a forensic psychologist does and what he sees, as well as how they manage to go to work see what they see and hear what they hear, then back home to some sort of normality. This is an extraordinary work, and though I think his Christianity gets in the way at times and I disagree with some of his views and opinions about people it’s definitely easy to read and very informative. What I find hard to ignore is the constant use of swearing and by god he is a bit egotistical. But it is a good read and would recommend this book to anyone interested in this particular field.
Having studied Forensic Psychology for many years, I have long been an admirer of Dr Mohandies work and was intrigued to read more about his career and experiences. I wasn't disappointed.
There are some outstanding chapters particularly about school shootings and stalking, which I found very interesting.
This book is written in a way which is informative but has a personality so it doesn't feel like you are reading a textbook.
There were some moments where he wrote things which I felt were inappropriate (mainly some of his personal points of view), which jarred the flow a little bit for me. Also having studied the subject I came away not really learning anything I didn't already know. So someone who is new to the subject would probably take away a lot more than me.
Overall, informative and enjoyable. Recommended reading.
Born Killers? by Dr Kris Mohandie is  a fascinating book  by a renowned police and forensic psychologist who has spent decades not only delving into the psyches of disturbed criminals but helping police officers with PTSD  and other stress disorders.
The book is partly autobiographical and tells how as a child his ethnicity made him a bit of an outsider and he got out of situations by using his wits and communication skills, something that stood him good stead as a psychologist.
He did nearly lose me at the start of the book with a political comment which had me dreading being subjected with more polemic throughout the book but thankfully once he'd got it off of his chest there was no more. After that the book is an informative , entertaining read that spares the reader the graphic and disturbing descriptions of similar books that personally I welcome.
Much of the book is Dr Mohandie's thoughts on American culture ,not least the ease with which the most unsuitable people can buy lethal weapons and how Social Media can inspire and give publicity to those intent on mayhem. The most shocking part to me was learning that some of the perpetrators had discussed their aims with others who, far from trying to dissuade or report them, turned up to watch the carnage.

Thanks to Dr Kris Mohandie ,Mirror Books and Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.