Cover Image: Little Kid, Big City!: New York

Little Kid, Big City!: New York

I love this book! (Although I think reading it after being stuck and unable to travel for over a year is probably making me a bit emotional, ha.)

Pandemic travel bug emotions aside, I thought that the illustrations and blurbs about the various attractions in the city is so lovely! I like that the book doesn't just cover the mainstream tourist attractions, but also includes gems like the lighthouse, the transit museums, Harlem, and the Prospect park. The way the book sort of "directs" you by telling you to jump into different pages based on your fancy makes it fun, as well. I can visualise my students enjoying this book, and exploring the city with it. I love it!
Like the London version of the book, I thought this was an excellent information text showing the key landmarks and destinations in New York, I found myself learning a great deal about things I didn't know! I know that my children would LOVE this book and would pour over the illustrations and facts, so I will definitely be buying a copy!
Thank you to Quirk Books and NetGalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

In this first book in the Little Kid, Big City series, kids are empowered to imagine, create, and explore their own routes through the world’s greatest cities.

I’ve never been to New York City but it’s definitely on my bucket list of places to go! In this illustrated guide, there’s a choose-your-own-adventure style element to it, which I thought was great for kids to have choices! This guide is great for kids, parents, and adults alike — I was able to learn some new facts and there’s a great resource section at the end! I think this is a great option for travelling as well as those experiencing a bit of wanderlust.
I enjoyed this book so much!  I was born and raised in NYC and due to the pandemic I haven’t been to visit my family, the sights, and eat all the yummy food!  And yes it is definitely the water that makes the bagels fluffy and oh so good!  I read this book with my toddlers and it’s wonderful to see their reactions to the landmarks and answering their questions.  I cannot wait to show them in person!  Thank you to Quirk Books, NetGalley, and the author for a gifted copy.  This is my honest review.
Little Kid, Big City!: New York was absolutely amazing – the perfect amount of information and eye catching illustrations! I read it several times and thought about my many travels to NYC…while also being sad as my teenage daughter and I had our first trip planned to NYC last March but cancelled due to COVID-19. I will definitely be purchasing this book when it is available and giving it to my daughter as a promise of our NYC some day soon.  #LittleKidBigCityBook #NetGalley
This is an extremely cute little picture book/travel guide to New York City. It'll be a perfect educational read-aloud for kids who are interested in (or live in) New York. Although there are lots of facts, it doesn't feel overly pedantic, although I will say that it might be a bit too long to read all in one go, depending on the parent and kid. But it's written in a choose-your-own-adventure sort of style that I think is really clever, allowing for a slightly different reading experience each time. It's also a little eerie/bittersweet to read during a pandemic, when so many things are either closed or vastly different (I miss the Transit Museum!!). Also, I gotta give a shoutout to the "it's the water" bagels pages -- so good.
What a delightful book! Bursting with amazing facts about NYC and full of awesome, fun illustrations!
An enjoyable read which I wish actually existed a few years ago when I visited New York - I now feel like I missed out on seeing so much or was walking with my eyes closed! If I get to visit again this book will be coming with me as my guide!
Looking forward to reading more in the series.
I absolutely loved the illustrations! The choose-your-own story aspect was fun and honestly a little surprising (in a good way) because I hadn't expected it. The "story" of NYC was easy to follow and it gave a lot of great information for those not necessarily familiar with the city. I liked that it touched upon main tourist attractions but it would have been nice to see something not so typical, such as a less popular but equally illustrious museum. Overall, a great and easy to use guidebook for kids.
Fantastic! similar to a choose your own adventure, this book tours around New York with the reader picking where to go next. The illustrations are superb, painting the most beautiful picture of this amazing city. The ideas of places to visit are a mix of traditional and non-traditional, some are very unique which is fantastic. This would be the perfect gift for a child who was visiting New York or for those who just love looking at the world and different cities. I can’t wait to see the others in this collection and I’m sure I will end up buying this as a gift in the future.
My daughter loved looking through this book (she is just a few months shy of 4yo) and getting to know where her cousins live!

This is a beautifully illustrated "tour book" about NYC aimed for children. All of the sights, sounds and tastes of NY are covered from Pizza & Bagels to Coney Island and the Staten Island ferry, and much, much more. This book touches on different means of transportation, many different locations, and different foods of the area. It really is like a tourism book for kids filled with great information and facts as well as a map at the end.

There is a bit of a choose your own adventure, which really is a choice of what part of NY do you want to read about (or visit in the pages of a book) next?

I would recommend this to anyone with kids planning a trip to New York to get them a little familiar with all that the city has to offer and get excited, or to anyone with family in New York, like us!
I really enjoyed this book!

It would be great to give to a child ahead of any trip so that they can have a look at the sights ahead of the journey.  I liked how the book was laid out and that there was a little more detail at the end too on the different places, or foods that are recommended!

It is 5 stars from me for this one, I loved the facts, it was a punchy read and the illustrations were great - very highly recommended!
I received an electronic ARC from Quirk Books through NetGalley.
Think Choose Your Own Adventure with actual locations in the beautiful city of New York. Readers plan their trip through this city by beginning at the Statue of Liberty and then following the suggestions to move to different pages and see other sites. I read through in order as I was reading an electronic version but readers will have fun picking where they want to go next. They can opt to see as many or as few sites as they want.
Terrific book to plan a visit and involve the whole family. Further information is provided about each point of interest along with short blurbs about other locations nearby. A city map will be included in the physical copies so readers can mark their destinations on it and practice map reading skills.
This books is such a wonderful take on the "choose your own adventure" format for younger kids. It is engaging, informative, and just plain fun! Back matter is wonderful and the illustrations fit the NY aesthetic perfectly.
I’ve been reading this fab travel guide for children from @quirkbooks Little Kid, Big City-New York is fact-filled, but with the added excitement of a choose your own journey feature on each page, it makes reading this book even more fun. A great NF for your classroom collection!
This is an easy to read, cute idea for a guide book for kids.  This would be good in a middle school/upper elementary school classroom library.
Covers the basics, with some lesser-known fun facts here and there. The illustrations didn't wow me, and I don't see anything that really sets it apart from other kids' books about NYC.
As a native New Yorker, I loved this choose-your-own-adventure book about NYC! The facts are fun and informative and are great for children learning about or visiting NYC. I look forward to future books in this series as well!
Sweet book with great illustrations. I loved the descriptions of different places in the city and how the 'little kid' fit into each place. This brings back memories of being in a big city. Loved it.
An oxidised French woman standing guard over the approach from European waters, a fairground ride from Ohio, Chinese New Year and a week-long festival in honour of Naples' patron saint – yes, nothing screams "New York" like imports from elsewhere.  This cartoonish yet pleasant guide to the city is designed as a sort of game-book, where you can choose your options for what the tour guide will show you next.  This means you can either see the pages in order as I did (purely as the resolution was weak on seeing this full-screen), or skip to one of the two spreads we're directed to choose from.  It didn't seem that clever an idea to me, for if you do choose a certain path at times you can never get back and find the full experience, whether you take that to mean the book or the city.  And the book does manage to present NYC as a full-on experience, whether we're in an antique subway carriage in a museum, surfing, or paying tribute to the fallen of 9/11.  The artwork is, as I say, very child-friendly, but perfectly fitting the age range targeted (apart from a rather fruity-looking couple at one point), and the text has just the right amount of trivia, hyperbole and brevity.  So my main quibble would be the choose-your-own-tour path, which seemed an unnecessary gimmick.  It may be the map to be included in the real, paper deal will suggest the right path for our little adventure.  Either way, this is a success, and I look forward to the London edition as the second in the series.
Oh my word, I absolutely loved this book! One of my favorite book genres is literary travel...a chance to travel through the pages of the book. And Little Kid, Big City!: New York does that incredibly well! Not only are there absolutely gorgeous illustrations (seriously, I want back and looked at every single page after my first read through the book!) but the choose your own adventure style lets readers plan their own journey through New York City. From the lions at the New York Public Library to Yankee Stadium to where you can find a fountain in NYC that you are allowed to splash in, this book is literary travel perfection!

I loved the Adventure Index at the back of the book and I can not wait to buy multiple copies of the book. I'll need a couple for my classroom, one to display in my home library and a couple in stock to give away as gifts. And I am beyond excited to see the London edition next year!

With thanks to NetGalley and Quirk Books for an early copy in return for an honest review.