Cover Image: Becoming Human

Becoming Human

Fantasy books aren’t normally my thing, but I’m determined to continue branching out and this piqued my interest. It’s a very sweet book with lots of fantasy elements threaded through human interactions, good and bad.

Jack is called into acton protecting Marin, an animal in human form on a month long road trip to deliver Marin safely to a meeting of leaders. Marin is described as the most important leader in the world, and essentially the story tells both their journey in literal terms as they try to stay safe, and their journey in getting to know each other in the strangest of circumstances.

I loved all the interactions with things humans consider to be normality and Marin learning about them. This brought both some sweet and humorous moments. The book has its violent moments, but because they are enmeshed in the fantasy world they didn’t read as particularly harrowing to me, but it is something to be aware of.

There isn’t much romance in the book, it’s very slow burn. It’s more day to day interactions, sweet conversations and how they protect each other from the world.

I liked how all of the secondary characters were written. They were well placed, either to complement the road trip protection aspect, enhance us getting to know Marin and where she is from, or to appreciate Jack’s past.

I found the ending to be a little underwhelming, but I can understand why it was done like this. I still had many questions and would just have liked an extra chapter or two to finish things off.

I can’t really comment as to how this compares to other fantasy books, but I really appreciated the writing and enjoyed the narrative. I’d recommend to anyone who enjoys queer fantasy stories.

I received an e-ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I've become jaded from fantasy, but after some reluctance in the first couple of chapters, I loved this.
Marin is such a sweetheart. I know that's the point, but her character was done so well. She could have been one dimensional, as is often the case when characters are also symbols. I was pleasantly surprised when Marin's goodness never wore me out. I liked the observation that Jack made early on: her fascination with her surroundings was more like a tourist than a child. Marin was quite funny at times, both intentionally and unintentionally. Her personality also left room for several thought provoking moments.
The ending wasn't particularly new or exciting, but I didn't mind. It may be cliché but in this book, it really was about the journey, and the journey was adequately exciting. Both the adventure and the relationship were nicely paced.
Four and a half stars.
I received an ARC from Netgalley.  I am leaving my honest review.

I have to admit that I wasn't crazy about this book when I began reading.  It took me a while but I gradually became engrossed.   In particular,  the main characters of Jack and Marin kept my interest.

The writing was good although the plot was simple.  There were no surprises or big reveals.  It is a good hearted book that ends on a satisfying note.