Cover Image: Fifty Words for Snow

Fifty Words for Snow

A lovely, well written and informative book that made me learned a lot about snow and everything related to snow.
I loved the style of writing and how interesting each of the short essay is.
It's strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
 Thank you to NetGalley and the Publishers for giving me this eARC in exchange of a fair and honest review.

Firstly, I think it should be said that this book is a masterpiece. I'm not the biggest lover of non-fiction, but this book and its setup is gorgeous.

I didn't realise how many ways snow could be interpreted, shown, appreciated, described and loved - but Nancy Campbell has a knack for explaining the different ways that Snow impacts every single culture and country that she discusses within her book.

Also, I would like to give a huge shout out to whomever did the art work, because snow is gorgeous. Personally, I'm hoping to have Snow fall here in Scotland soon... its certainly been cold enough - and it would just start off my December right.

A gorgeous book for anyone with a love of snow, a thirst for knowledge or a passion for the cultures of the world.
Fifty Words for Snow is a unique and beautiful book - it’s one of those books to read snuggled up under a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate next to you. I love learning new things and this book really helped my curiosity by having a broad range of stories and interesting facts to tell. Each chapter takes a word for snow in a different language and then tells a true story or folklore about the subject. We hear about the plight of the snow leopards, the unclimbed peaks of Mount Kailash and the ancient civilisations being wiped out or assimilating into modern culture due to the weather shifts.

The book feels well researched and the entries are only a few pages long which keeps you engaged throughout. I did take a break to read another book half way so perhaps it is best to dip in and out of the book to get the most out of it but I’m sure it can also be read in one sitting. I really liked the pictures of different snowflakes at the beginning of each chapter but I also wish there were more photographs of the subject matter (even though these don’t often work as well in Kindle books).

Overall, Fifty Words for Snow is an informative and interesting book on a great range of wintery subjects and I recommend it. Thank you to NetGalley and Elliot and Thompson for the chance to read the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A series of exquisite little expositions on snow and the way cultures around the world describe it. Not one single wasted word. This isa perfect book to slip into a Christmas stocking.
This book is really very interesting. It explores different words relating to snow from different languages across the globe, and includes contextual information about snow explaining the meaning of each word.

It’s an enjoyable read, and I think it contained just the right amount of detail. If it was more in depth, it would become a very specialist book and I wouldn’t have picked it up at all, let alone finished it. As it is, I’ve learnt a decent amount of interesting information about snow and its relevance in different cultures.

Some might describe Fifty Words for Snow as a bit of a coffee table book, but I think it’s more than that.
Fifty Words for Snow by Nancy Campbell is a must read for anyone who is interested in linguistics, climate change or sociology.

The first thing that struck me about this book was the beautiful cover. This is definitely a book I would choose for the cover along let alone anything else.

Fifty Words for Snow travels the world exploring fifty words for snow but also provides the reader with a wealth of stories in relation to those words, each one unique.

As the author says, “Fifty Words for Snow is a journey to discover snow in cultures around the world through different languages.”

I have been interested in languages, particularly those that are in danger of disappearing forever, since I read a book on disappearing languages about ten years ago. Nancy Campbell discusses these languages many times throughout the book.

“While many of the languages in this book, such as Spanish and Urdu, can be heard spoken around the globe, others, such as the Inupiaq dialect of Wales, Alaska, are remembered mainly by elders in relatively small communities.”

Fifty Words for Snow has beautiful pictures of snowflakes peppered throughout the text.

One of my favourite stories was that behind Yuki-onna the Japanese word for snow woman.

“Taoist philosophy suggests that when there is an abundance of any natural matter, a life will come forth from it, the river will create its own fish when the water is deep enough and the forest will produce birds when the trees are dense enough. And so, it follows that a women may be generated in the heart of a snow drift.”

I think my favourite word was the Latvian word meaning ‘a blizzard of skylarks.’

“Used to evoke the enchantment of a surprise snowfall in springtime – whether the snowflakes fall to the ground as deliciously light and silver as the notes of the skylark or beat the air as powerfully as their wings.”

Fifty Words for Snow was a lovely little read.
This is one of those books that sparks other reading. Filled with fascinating histories and explanations, of glitter, powder, crystals and flakes – snow and the lore surrounding it in so many cultures, this is the perfect read for all snow lovers. From the animals who live in snow, the people and nature, this book will transport you to the highest mountains and the coldest glaciers.

I highly recommend this powerful journey into a white world. Not necessarily a cover to cover read, I’m ordering my hardback copy to dive into when I need some snowy magic ❄️
It is said no two snowflakes are alike, that they are all different, and so too are the words humans use to describe them. Campbell travels the world and learns the mythology, folklore and stories of snow from people in all corners of the globe. Having spent my entire life in Maine where we get plenty of snow, I found a new appreciation of the season and frozen precipitation I often dread
Compiled by author Nancy Campbell, the title of this beautiful book plays on the (now-disproven) myth about the multiple ‘Eskimo’ words for snow, and sets out to dig deep into the drift of knowledge that can be extrapolated from different languages’ terms for the cold white soft rain that falls from the sky in the winter months. As anyone who’s spent an early morning in central Cambridge after a snowfall will know, and as Campbell writes in her introduction: “snow makes a familiar place strange… it can seem to rewrite reality, concealing, clothing, cleansing or suspending the landscape. It muffles. It shrouds.”

Finished under lockdown, Campbell voyaged around the world through dictionaries and extensive research: not an unfamiliar activity for someone who had previously researched glacial ice, travelling north of the Arctic Circle to do so – this wonderful work is a fantastic exploration of language but also a record of what we might be soon to miss, if climates continue to change and snowfalls become even less frequent.

Loss is a haunting theme for the book: the foreword reveals that as the author began to compile this list of words, her partner Anna suffered a major stroke. Campbell worked on the book through a long and difficult winter at Anna’s bedside while she recovered from severe aphasia, with her words returning in fragmented and “often puzzling” form – leaving the author to wonder even more about the complexities presented by vanishing vocabularies, and the sheer power of a single word.

The fifty sections of this project contain linguistic analysis, geographic records, folk stories, economic history, references to art, film, music – it’s so much more than simply a wonderful gift for a weather-lover, or anyone curious about the origins of language. An ideal wintery bedside companion that’s packed tight with information: Campbell should be applauded for the extraordinary amount of research that’s been distilled into each of the book’s sparkling, fascinating chapters.
A mesmerizing exploration of language, culture, myths, climate change, cinematic effects, you name it, through snow. Or better said through names for snow from various countries.

I loved the premise of this book and the content was just as fascinating! The start was a bit hit and miss, but as I've progressed through it, I've almost loved each and everyone of the vignettes. I'd say this is a sort of educational take on a coffee table book. Is a book you'll want to turn to over and over again, read one-two vignettes and than go about your day. No matter how many time you'll read this short essays, you'll still find them fascinating upon every new read! A delightful gift that will keep on giving!
My thanks to Elliot & Thompson for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Fifty Words for Snow’ by Nancy Campbell in exchange for an honest review.

“Every language has its own words for the feather-like flakes that come from the sky.”

Arctic traveller, writer, and poet Nancy Campbell has compiled this fascinating book that explores the meanings of fifty words for snow.

Each short chapter is prefaced by an image of a snowflake and features the etymology of the featured word, followed by snippets of information that includes natural history, literature, religion, travel, history, myth, legend and story. Of course, the effects of climate change are also considered. Following the introduction and fifty chapters Campbell provides references, allowing for follow up reading if desired.

This book was intriguing as I wasn’t aware of the varied cultural significance of snow throughout the world. For example, the Icelandic word, ‘hundslappadrífa’, which means 'snowflakes big as a dog's paw' felt like something I might find in a fairy tale. I sought out the ambient song of the same name by Jónsi & Alex Somers that Campbell mentions.

Campbell’s writing style is poetic and I found myself transported by their beauty.

Overall, I found it enjoyable and informative, the kind of book that is perfect to dip into. Its beautiful hardback edition would make an excellent gift, especially for armchair travellers, who like myself enjoy experiencing snow while curled up in the warm with a hot drink.
‘Fifty Words of Snow’ is a book about fifty words of snow!  The book includes snow-related words in many different languages and goes into everything related to snow and all the different terminology.

I had no idea there was so many different terminologies until I cracked this open.

I learnt all about the history of snow and how snow is translated in different counties.  The author goes into all the music, films and authors that make use of snow e.g. Hans Christian Anderson use of snow in ‘The Snow Queen’.

I also learnt all about snow leopards, igloos and how they are made and I discovered all about different types of snow such as snowballs and their origination.

It was interesting to read how all snow-related words translate in different languages and learning all about the birth/history of snow angels, etc.

If you’re a fan of snow, winter or Christmas, this is the perfect read for you.
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book but soon became swept up in the way Nancy Cambell  manages to connect disparate etymology, history and folklore into an absorbing and harmonious whole. Each chapter is a surprise and an education and I found myself eager to pass on to others what had been revealed. I read it in one sitting but it is also perfect to dip in and out of, Certainly a book to be revisited often. Highly recommended. And would make a lovely Christmas gift!
Nancy Campbell has been a writer on my radar for such a long time now, but I had yet to pick up one of her books - until, that is, a gorgeous hardback edition of her newest effort, Fifty Words for Snow, landed on my doorstep.  It really appealed to the cold weather enthusiast in me, and it felt like a wonderful choice to incorporate into my autumnal reading, particularly as the days are getting steadily colder.

The idea for Fifty Words for Snow was born from Campbell's research on ice.  She was a Writer in Residence in Greenland during the winter of 2010, at the most northerly museum in the world, and her surroundings sparked this interest within her.  Much of her work since - a decade spent on the 'changing language and landscape of the Arctic' - has revolved around cold weather, and what it means to us.

At this point in her life, Campbell tells us in her introduction, '... I was seeking to escape the distractions of a capital city.  I needed white noise...  There is much poignant art and literature about polar purity and silence, but the longer I spent among the snow [in Greenland], the more I suspected such tropes are born of luxury and distance.  It is a view that overwrites the peopled landscape, ignores the tracks of sleds and snowmobiles that cross it, the busy burrows and root systems beneath it.  As time passed and I looked more closely, I realised snow does not always appear white.  As I listened more carefully, I realised that snow was not silent.'

As its title indicates, Fifty Words for Snow gives fifty international words for snow, many of them denoting very specific kinds.  Campbell 'digs deep into the meanings and etymologies, the histories and the futures of fifty words for snow from across the world, using them as clues to the many ways in which we are all connected to one another and to our planet.'  She writes about the shifting landscapes, as snow patterns change across the world: 'Just as the ecosystem is changing, so are the languages that describe it and the way they are understood.'  Of her project, and her sustained interest within it, Campbell explains: 'The process of tracing a single theme across many languages new to me seemed a powerful way to overcome the borders that were going up around the world.'

In her introduction, Campbell notes that 'every language and culture has its own word for the magical, mesmerising flakes that fall from the sky.'  The words which the author has drawn together here come from a wealth of different languages and cultures: they range from Latvian and Scots, to Thai and Kashmiri; from Maōri and Mongolian, to Newfoundland English and Faroese.  Some of the languages which Campbell has chosen to use are endangered, sometimes used by just a single community.

Each word which Campbell writes about - all of them randomly rather than geographically ordered, which I found an interesting touch - forms a short yet precise chapter.  Some of these chapters, indeed, are only a paragraph or two long; others are far more detailed.  Each begins with the chosen word and the language which it comes from, and then gives its specific translation, some of which are wonderfully precise.  The Icelandic hundslappadrífa, for instance, means 'snowflakes big as a dog's paw'.  In Finnish, tykky means 'thick snow and frost that accumulates on tree branches and other structures.'  The Japanese word yuki-onna denotes a snow-woman, whose 'skin is cold; her hair is silver; she dresses in white.'

Around the world, snow 'may be welcomed, feared, played with or prized.'  Campbell is constantly aware of the reliance which different cultures have upon the snow.  The Sámi language, for instance, 'reflects the herders' intimate relationship with their environment.  The rich terminology for snow and ice includes words to describe the way snow falls, where it lies, its depth, density and temperature.'

Throughout, Campbell touches upon so many subjects.  She writes about shepherds in the Scottish Borders, Greenlandic microbreweries, snowboarding, environmentally friendly fake snow made specifically for use on film sets, polar exploration, the building of igloos, avalanche prevention, and even the inspiration of snowy climates on the flags of several countries.

Fifty Words for Snow is both thoughtful and thorough.  Campbell's prose is lyrical, and holds such beauty about it.  This work of non-fiction is clearly a labour of love, and it is a perfect choice to dip in and out of or, indeed, to read all in one go.  Campbell's book is far-reaching; she has tapped into so many languages and cultures, and gives fascinating details throughout.  It will certainly make a lovely gift for the festive season, and there is something wonderfully comforting about it, too.
Nancy Campbell's Fifty Words for Snow takes a global survey of the words that different languages and cultures have to describe different snow phenomena. From the Icelandic hundslappadrifa (snow like big dog's feet) to the Finnish word for frozen tree frost, Campbell explores the different words and their connections to cultures, myths and folk tales.

It's a really interesting premise for a book but unfortunately I did struggle to maintain my interest. The separate chapters are all disconnected from each other so I felt there was little incentive to read on. I most enjoyed the chapters that dealt in folk tales (the Japanese ice maiden, for example) but other chapters were rather mundane (avalanches, for example). I think what this volume really needed is some thread of narrative that links the chapters together - perhaps a more autobiographical element. This does appear occasionally but rather nervously, as if the author is unsure how much of herself to include and I think she misses a trick there. Overall a nice idea but a volume that I struggled to enjoy.
Thank you to NetGalley and Elliot & Thompson for approving me to read 𝗙𝗜𝗙𝗧𝗬 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗗𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗦𝗡𝗢𝗪 by Nancy Campbell
𝗔𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗵𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗶𝗹𝗹-𝗳𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱? 𝗜𝘀 𝗶𝘁 𝗽𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗻𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗮 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁? 𝗪𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿, 𝗼𝗿 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗽𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴?
This was a lovely book to read.
It explores the etymology of snow, and how snow is reflected in different languages, and how this has changed over time as languages have evolved.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗶𝗻 𝗞𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗻, 𝗻𝘂𝗻, 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝘀 𝗶𝘀 𝘂𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 ‘𝗲𝘆𝗲’. 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗼 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗳𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 – 𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗼𝘁𝗻𝘂𝗻 – 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝘆𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿, 𝗶𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘀𝗮𝗶𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗲 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗳𝘁 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗮𝗿𝗺𝘀.
I liked the history within the stories, both from an 'explorer' point of view (e.g. Ernest Shackleton and Leif Eriksson), but also the mythology, folklore, and fairytales told by different cultures around the world in relation to snow.
𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗱 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿. 𝗛𝗲 𝘀𝗻𝘂𝗴𝗴𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗹𝘆 𝗯𝗮𝗿𝗸, 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝗹𝗲𝘄 𝗮𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗽𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀. 𝗗𝘂𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴, 𝗱𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀, 𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗸 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗸𝗲𝗻 𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗹𝗲𝗽𝘁.
It was interesting to read about music that has been inspired by snow (which I did go and look up after reading this!) and to understand how 'fake' snow is made - both physically and auditorily.
I'd also never considered it before, but I found it interesting reading about the different kinds of avalanches, and the research that goes into preventing these from occurring.
𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘀, 𝘄𝗲 𝗲𝘅𝗽𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘆 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘀 – 𝗶𝗳 𝗶𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹. 𝗕𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗶𝗴𝗵 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀 , 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝘀𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗰𝗿𝘆𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗹 𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 – 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀.
Overall this was an interesting and very pretty book, perfect as a holiday read over the Winter season.
‘’Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, further afterwards, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling too upon every part of the lonely churchyard where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.’’
                                    James Joyce - Dubliners

Even the people in countries where snow is daily reality get excited when they witness the first snowflake floating in the air. Now yours truly lives in Athens and every snowfall, however brief, is like second Christmas. Snow is one more of Mother Nature’s gifts to us, a vision of superb beauty, a symbol for purity, innocence. A holy silence in the silent season that calls for contemplation and introspection before the rebirth of spring. Our actions, however, destroy us. The constant violation we inflict on Nature has made snow a scarcity. This is what we are only capable of. Disaster and ignorance.

Nancy Campbell’s writing is tender, poetic and vivid. She guides us around the planet and introduces us to the lore and history of Snow, how it is viewed and revered, how it gave birth to tales and legends. The Sámi people stress the herders’ relationship with their environment. The Japanese fear the legend of Yuki-onna, the deadly snow-woman. In Korea, the first snowfall of the year may bring your true love into your arms. In Greenland, the glaciers are threatened by our own iniquities. In Scotland and Wales, the beauty of the snow reflects the beauty of the language.

In Thailand, snow is just a legend, a ghost that may or may not have existed. In Spain, snow is associated with the Holy Virgin, Her Purity and Protection over us. In Hebrew legends, snow reflects the changing of the seasons, God’s Providence. In Russia, the word sastrugi mirrors the sharp ridges of the snow, the horses galloping away in the tundra. In Latvia, the skylarks are associated with snow. Iceland and the Faroe Islands have a plethora of beautiful words about the serene gift. In the rich culture of the Cherokee, snow is bonded to God.

In France, snow becomes a menace in the form of avalanches. Finland glorifies the frost that reigns on tree branches. Denmark is the birthplace of the beautiful and cruel Snow Queen. Anaxagoras truly saw black snow and in Italy, the neviere was used to cool drinks. In the Netherlands, you will taste the yummy Hagelslag, in Estonia, we will travel over icy roads. The last unconquered mountain top, the residence of the gods, is calling from the Himalayas. In Lithuania, sniegas has played a vital role in the course of the beautiful Baltic country. In Ireland, James Joyce created some of the most poetic descriptions of the Winter’s faithful, quiet companion.

This book is a dreamy journey in the eloquent silence of the falling snow and a moving cry to respect and protect Nature. Our Mother.

‘’He giveth snow like wool: he scattereth the hourfrost like ashes. He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold? He sendeth out his word, and melteth them: he causeth his wind to blow, and the waters flow.’’
                   Psalms 147: 16-18

‘’Will there be any real snow at all when the year 2049 arrives?’’

Many thanks to Alison Menzies, Elliott & Thompson and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/
This is a brilliant little book all about snow. Like the title suggests Campbell looks at fifty words from different languages for snow thus creating an extremely readable anthology on the cold stuff! This is a real mix of anthropology, sociology, geography, history, folklore and legend and of course etymology making a fascinating and engaging read. Future readers of this book should be warned however that they should be well prepared with warm layers, hot beverages and coziness while reading this as hypothermia by proxy may happen. A perfect read to dip in and out of over winter. I loved reading this.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
[included as part of an article on books to get you through winter]

It’s time to lean back into Not Doing Much At All. By which I mean a return to that romantic image of winter I painted at the beginning of this post, of blankets and books and not moving much.  For a bit of wintery non-fiction to take you around the world, there’s Arctic traveller Nancy Campbell’s 50 Words for Snow (Elliot & Thompson) – also due out in early November. Campbell takes us on a journey around the world, using different words for different types of snowfall or winter descriptions from different cultures as a jumping-off point to intertwine facts, history, travel stories, and myths and legends from each culture – how has snow affected economics and social history? More than you’ll realise. It’s a mesmerising journey, if read in one swoop. Or perhaps, if we have snow this year, you may, as I know I will, find yourself dipping in and out looking for the perfect term to apply to it.
I loved Library of Ice and so I was really looking forward to reading Fifty Words for Snow.  It is what it says.  In 50 short chapters, a word or phrase for snow is mulled over.  We travel from Scotland to the Highlands of Papua, New Guinea, from Patagonia to Nunavut, learning new words for snow or snow-related words and phrases, their origins, meanings and uses.  The latter are often crucial for understanding and surviving in difficult living conditions, in places like Siberia or Nunavut, for example.

It’s an enjoyable read but I was really disappointed that it doesn’t have the depth of The Library of Ice, a similar journey but one taken to learn about ice rather than snow and with a personal element to it.  Fifty Words for Snow is more of a coffee table book.  For that reason, I feel quite dissatisfied with it.  Nancy Campbell is an excellent, thoughtful writer who can produce work that is so much more substantial than this.  3.5 stars.