Cover Image: Mother

Mother

I really enjoyed Mother but it was a very emotional read. I found I read it very quickly and I definitely did not see the twist coming!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC.
This book gave me allllll the feels, in both a good and a bad way. I have two children myself so this really touched a nerve with me a few times. However, after remembering that this is just a book, I found myself really enjoying it. Gripping, realistic and wonderfully written. Would definitely recommend!
As a mother of one, I can't understand how Lizzie could make the choice between her children of which one to save. I found this difficult to read - the emotion was overwhelming - but well written with characters so believable that the book upset me a lot.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
A well written book, with a compelling opening. My problem was, it was almost too sad. Perhaps that's odd to say for a thriller-reader who is used to books with dark and difficult themes. But by half way through the character emotions were too overwhelming and I had to stop reading. I've given it a high rating as it was well written, and I suspect I was just being too emotional at the time.
Brilliant book which I literally could not put down. A total whirlwind of emotions which kept me gripped from the first page to the final. Lizzie one night has to make the most terrible decision no mother should have to; which daughter to save? Highly recommended
This is my first book of the authors and it took me a lot longer to read than many of my Other Books. I really love the twists this book takes. I was hooked around the end of chapter 9.
One of the things I struggled with the with this book is the writing and its format. I found there was no separation that was obvious of the person watching and the woman narrating as it is always in the same chapter.
I really enjoyed this book and also found it emotional in places.

There were a few twists, which I didn’t see coming, and the story moved along at a nice pace.

The only negative is that sometimes there was a lot of dialogue, with repetitive thoughts, and not much action.

I give Mother 4 stars and will look out for more books by Laura Jarrett.
I’d like to thank Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Mother’ written by Laura Jarratt in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

As Lizzie’s husband Dan can’t take time off from work, she takes their two daughters Portia and Becca to spend a week in the country without him.  On their way home it’s raining and it’s getting dark when the car leaves the road crashing through the undergrowth and into a river.  Lizzie has time to save only one of her daughters who are lying unconscious on the back seat.  She brings her up to the bank and resuscitates her but when she goes back into the river she’s unable to find the car to save the other.  Although she can’t remember the sequence of events, Lizzie knows in her heart that she didn’t fall asleep at the wheel but until she can remember she fears their lives will start unravelling.

This is the emotional story of how a mother copes with the loss of her seven-year-old daughter when she can’t remember what happened and blames herself.  As a mother myself my heart went out to Lizzie who was trying to keep the family together and Dan with a stiff upper lip who wouldn’t allow himself to show any signs of weakness.  The story was so sad and moving, and I’m so glad it had a more positive ending with signs that the family might be able to come through the worst event that could possibly happen to them. ‘Mother’ has been beautifully written with love and warmth and I enjoyed reading it.
This is one of those books that’s left me not really sure how I feel about it. I loved the concept - what a desperately impossible decision to have to make. This plays well on the reader’s mind as you’re constantly questioning what you’d do in the same situation.

I was SO shocked by the twist in chapter nine (if you know, you know). Literally a mouth-dropped-open, put-the-book-down, shout-to-your-partner twist and I enjoyed the sections written as the “stalker” as you had no idea who the suspect was. I didn’t see the “big reveal” coming but I’m also not sure I really enjoyed the twist.

I originally gave this two stars as I just found it, for want of a better word, depressing- it focussed heavily on grief and loss, and yes I expected this from the synopsis but it seemed to be based more on these emotions and the family dynamics than the mystery side, and I just found my own emotions were blanketing the ability to enjoy it. It redeemed a star however as I loved the ending and I did find it to be relatively fast-paced.
What a brilliant book, I loved every page with this great story line, well developed characters which kept me turning the pages throughout and kept me on the edge of my seat until the great ending which was so unexpected.

Well done Laura I hope to read more from you in the future and thank you to Netgalley and Orion Publishers (Trapeze) for giving me the opportunity to read this fantastic book.
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It was a well written book. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Oh, I got so incredibly emotional when reading Mother! I am going to be careful what I say here so that I don’t give too much away. As mentioned in the summary, there is a terrible tragedy that happens to this family and my heart goes out to the characters, especially Lizzie. I felt such anxiety and adrenaline building during one particular scene and I came so close to literally yelling out loud at her advising her what to do. I felt such compassion and empathy towards her  and thought several times throughout the book that she is such a good person. I tried putting myself in her shoes and asked myself what I would do in some of the situations she was in. The Mama Bear in me was rearing up in me a few times, making me think I would act much differently than she did. I loved one of the conversations she had with her daughter and the response and advice that her daughter gave to her, it was such a moving scene for me. I could go on and on and provide several more examples of scenes that gripped me and left me feeling a myriad of emotions, but I think it is best to just let you know to brace yourself for an incredibly moving story that will leave you on the edge of your seat many many times.

The author demonstrated such talent at creating powerful scenes and compelling characters, I got pulled in and could not stop reading. I can’t believe that this was her debut adult novel, with her talent it’s hard to believe that she hasn’t written several before this one! I liked the author even more after reading the author’s note and acknowledgement. I hope she continues to write more adult novels, I will definitely read them!
Holy cow, prepare your heart, emotions, and soul if you plan to read this thriller.  As, it’s likely one of the saddest, most emotional ones I’ve read.  Well written, original, captivating, and an emotional roller coaster of a ride.  Do highly recommend, but will hit in ways you normally wouldn’t be effected by thrillers!  Prepare yourself, it can hit hard!
So much sadness and heartbreak. This is a sad thriller and it took a while to get through. You can’t rush this story. The emotions won’t let you.

It’s not lacking in any way and I think this will be one of 2021’s biggest hits!
Laura Jarratt you’ve gained a new fan!
So this is the Story of Lizzie and her family. Lizzie goes away with her children, alone, as her husband Dan has to work.

On the return journey,  as her two daughters sleep, she spots strange lights that look as if they are in the trees, but she can’t be sure, as the road in her location is very twisty.

Suddenly bright white lights are coming right for her and she tries to swerve out of the way. And in the process her windscreen is smashed out and she finds herself bumping down through the woods and the trees at a frightening pace, unable to get her breaks to work.

She hears her eldest daughter scream, feels the car flip, and then the car, with them inside, crashes down into the water and rabidly begins to sink.

Suddenly Lizzie is faced with a terrible choice, freeing herself from her seatbelt and swimming into the back of the car which is already underwater, she is forced to make a choice, or which daughter to save. They are both unconscious, neither able to free themselves and she has just second to choose, or she will lose them both.

Can you imagine how awful that would be? The agony of that moment, of making a choice like that? She makes her choice, get the daughter she choose to the shore and preforms CPR. Once her daughter is breathing, she hurry’s back to the water, knowing it is hopeless,  knowing it is too late but having to try.

Laura, writes this difficult scene beautifully and has you on the edge of your seat as you wait to see the outcome.

Who will she choose? Will she be able to get back to the other child? While worrying to about the child she has left on shore. Cold and alone. Might she still loose them both? Or will she die trying to save them?

This is a heartbreaking look at grief and family. Laura shows, how we all deal with grief differently, in this accurate and at times devastating plot.

She builds characters that are perfectly in-perfect, and full of depth. That pull you into the story and make you bleed with them.

There are plenty of twist too, to keep you hooked.

An amazing author with an amazing talent and I will definitely be reading more by her in the future.

A big thank you to NetGalley, Laura Jarratt and her publishers for allowing me to read this book for free, in exchange for an honest review. It has been an absolutely pleasure.
#Mother #NetGalley
Thanks NetGalley, Orion Publishing Group and Laura Jarratt for an ARC to review.
Too much heartbreak in this book. As a mother myself it tore me and left me in ugly fat tears.
Choices, are we free to chose? And are we willing to live with the consequences of our choices? What does it take to forgive yourself? What would you do if you have to chose only one of your kids to save? Does that mean you deliberately killed the other one? How could you go through the grief journey and would you ever emerge on the other side?
Guilt, Choices and forgiveness. Do our career choices and their morality impact our lives and the ones we love?
A heartbreaking book that was a really fast paced read but not an easy one at all.
Keep your eyes on this one, expected publication date Feb 2021.
My thoughts on this book...

What a difficult choice to make as a 'mother.

This turned out to be quite an emotional read. It is full of emotion, guilt, love, lies. A mother on her way home from a lovely holiday is run off the road in her car, by a car that seems to be coming right at them. What do you do in a situation like this. SWERE, then land in a lake. You are now faced with the prospect of you and your children drowning. It seems there is only time to save one of your daughters, but which one do you choose.
How can any mother face a situation like that. This is exactly the situation that Lizzie finds herself in.  Lizzie injured and traumatised but must now face a police investigation. Do the police think she has deliberately done this, that she put her children in danger on purpose.  It doesn't help when Lizzie can't seem to actually recall what happened. Slowly things happen and she gets flashes of that night. Will she be able to piece it all together, save her sanity and her family.
This will have you gripped, an enjoyable, sometimes tense and more times emotional this book will keep you awake until you finish it.
This is one of those books that you can't help yourself with the what if it was me, what would I have done.
Wow, I really enjoyed this book. Its truly terrifying to even imagine losing a child in such a way. The grief and guilt that come afterward for the family is painful to read and I found myself feeling really emotional with them. The story itself is brilliant. It's got a creepy psychological feel to it amongst the heartbreak and suffering abdi think I had a slight suspicion of every character at some point along the way which is unusual for me because I'm normally quite good at figuring out the plot before I'm quarter of the way through a book. So that was fun. The ending actually surprised me most of all it was not at all what I was expecting so that one was definitely a shocker!! Overall a fantastic read with a killer plot and a shock twist
I found Mother to be a good although very sad read with a plot that had some very good twists and turns.
A very good read highly recommend.
I found this book to start quite slowly but once into the story I really enjoyed it , and what a totally unexpected twist !!!