Cover Image: Citizen

Citizen

This book was emotional, important, timely. The author wrote with brutal honesty, sharing stories illustrating just some of the racial aggressions that are wrongly still happening to this day. How, with how far the world has advanced, are these things still happening? Why do people treat people differently because of their skin colour?

I loved the writing style. It might not be to everyone’s taste, but the subject matter is what’s important here. Although not an easy read, the writing was fresh, emotional and hypnotic.

Everyone should read this book. Read it and learn. Read it and do better to make the world a better place for people of colour.
Rankine provides an amalgam between prose/essay and poetry in an acutely sincere collection, without shying away but through placing the topic of race at the core of the poems, a topic that truly needs to be addressed and keep on being addressed.
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. Reading this book in 2020 after everything that’s happened since it was published it was quite an experience. I love this author and her works, but now it feels even more necessary. I don’t know if I would call these essays, poems, lyrics, but her writing is both I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. Reading this book in 2020 after everything that’s happened since it was published it was quite an experience. I love this author and her works, but now it feels even more necessary. I don’t know if I would call these essays, poems, lyrics, but her writing is somehow so raw and honest it is both beautiful and ugly. Necessary and well recommended