Cover Image: Of Wicked Blood

Of Wicked Blood

I’ve really enjoyed reading Olivia Wildenstein’s past work so I was pretty excited to receive an ARC for this book, her newest novel.
This book has got a lot going for it.
It takes place in France, it’s witchy, we’ve got some sneaky scooby-doo bad guys, a slow burn romance, local “folklore” that was really fun to read about.,A really awesome magical astronomical clock, a snarky bad boy with a heart of gold and friggin dragons. So yeah, a lot of good stuff happening.
Unfortunately, this book has a lot going against it as well.
The plot’s pacing was weird. I felt like it moved from event to event at a snails pace, but then when I finally got to the big important scenes, they felt too rushed.
CADENCE WAS PROBLEMATIC. In oh so many ways. She was shallow and one dimensional and SO petty. I have not read such an insufferable character in a long, long time. I just, I couldn’t stand her.
Lastly, that ending. Just. It was just not good.
Slate and Bastian saved the entire book for me. I was really rooting for Slate. He was the underdog and the hero all at the same time and I was invested in his success.
Of Wicked Blood had a lot of promise, the premise is really cool. Sort of like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire meets Medival times. The romance was a slow burn and by the time the main characters get together it’s really satisfying and Slate’s macabre sense of humor helped eliminate some of the tension caused by the trials the gang had to endure.
Honestly, even looking past Cadence and everything about her that literally annoyed me to no end. I enjoyed this book. UNTIL THAT ENDING.
The worst part is, I can’t even talk about the ending with out giving it away.
Let’s just say, that nothing was solved, there was no happy ending, it felt like it was all hastily thrown together.
I SAY THIS BECAUSE: The resolution to all of Slate and Cadence’s problems made approximately zero sense to me, and was left completely unexplained. THEN come to find out this is a duology, so now I have to wait until the second book is published for any sort of answer!
I must admit, that I was fully engrossed in Of Wicked Blood at more than one point while reading. So naturally that makes it an automatic three star read for me. However due to my hatred for a main character, and a totally unsatisfying ending, I am going to have to dock a star (for each reason respectively).

I give this book 3 stars.
Pub date: Feb 2021
This YA urban fantasy with a romance was right up my alley! I'm a sucker for the anti-hero with a heart of gold (e.g. Han Solo) and I LOVE Slate, the poor, ex-foster kid turned successful thief and rogue. Cadence is the rich, daddy's girl, but kind and a little naive. When Slate drunkenly steals her family's heirloom after finding out his legacy in Cadence's small French town, he unknowingly binds himself to staying and helping find pieces that will bring magic back in the world. The dynamic between Slate and Cadence is fun as he slowly wins her over (their POVs exchange ever other chapter), and the supporting characters help define each of them further (love Alma and Bastian, especially!). However, the search for the pieces was less interesting to me until they had to figure out something on their own (without Cadence's sketchy father), and there is a segment about a terrible consequence of their search which brings the stakes into high relief. There end up being a lot of unanswered questions in this first installment that leave the reader needing more. Can't wait for the next!
Well, if you love curses, dark magic, mysterious trials, fated bloodlines, cursed artifacts and towns with mysterious lore, this book has it all!  This book took me on a dark magical journey full of secrets, challenges and even a bit of romance.  I thoroughly enjoyed this from beginning to end.  While the ending wrapped up nicely and this could be read as a stand alone, it left me wanting more.  I can't wait to continue reading within this world!
The beginning of this story left me doubtful, but my doubts were assuaged throughout the story. The language and crassness of the main character at the beginning (as well as certain actions that would be considered cause for some serious after-death punishment) threw me off and I wasn't sure this book would be for me. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The characters were well fleshed out, and Slate was an endearingly immoral character who had an interesting backstory and experienced moderate growth (moderate because not much actual time has passed, not because he will not grow more). I was left a little underwhelmed with Cadence's character growth, although her character was interesting as well, and I definitely think she will have her time to shine. Bastian has to be the most adorable person I've read about in ages. I hope he sticks around.

I loved the setting. Quaint village, mystical history, odd traditions, lots of old buildings steeped in history - is there anything better? I can't wait to read the next installment, and the only problem with this book that I really have is the wait until the next!

Thank you to Netgalley and Twig Publishing for providing a copy of this e-book for review.
Of Wicked Blood is an urban fantasy set in the village of Brume, that is believed to be the birthplace of all magic. This book gave me major Mystic Falls vibes but add in a treasure hunt for magical items. While this book starts a little slow the plot really picks up as Slate finds himself in a life or death situation after accidentally acquiring a magical artifact. Cadence and Slate come to learn they are both descendants of founding families, which requires them to rally with the other two founding family’s descendants to hunt down magical artifacts, in order to complete an ancient ritual and save Slates life. This book is perfect you want to get lost in an exciting magic filled plot with strong dark academia vibes. Also, the romance plot between Cadence and Slate was well paced and super enjoyable.
Slate has had a hard life.  Nothing has come easy.  However, he has made it through with his cunning, strength and not a little thieving.

He does not remember anything of his time before ending up in foster care.  So when he gets an unsolicited letter from Professor Rainier de Morel, the Acting Dean at L’Université de Brume he is a little bit intrigued and a lot angry.

It seems Slate has history there he never knew of not to mention the offer of a full scholarship.

The full scholarship is not what Slate is looking forward to however.  He wants vengeance against M. de Morel who knew where he was during his untenable and unendurable times and never reached out to help.

Shortly after he arrives he realizes he may have bitten off more than he can chew.

A ghostly town with a magical history, a stolen ring that cannot be pried from his finger, a deadly deadline to find hidden magical pieces and a girl that has him willing to risk anything to be with her.

Will this thief be able to steal her heart and if he does, will he survive to reap the benefits?

I enjoyed the budding relationship between Cadence and Slate.  The unique story line, the magic, mystery as well as the intrigue kept me turning the pages.

The pace, for me, in the beginning was slow but if you persist through these first few chapters, the pace and story line pick up and become much more fast paced and interesting.

One thing I will note is that the authors do not go into depth with characters.  I have read this whole book but feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface of who these characters are.

In my opinion, the characters weren’t fleshed out enough even though they were all quite intriguing.  I believe adding more background or history would have made this a five-star read.  The connection we would feel as they each go through trial and risk life and limb to retrieve their quatrefoil would be more potent and chilling.

Cadence’s character is young and naive in the beginning of the story .  As the story progresses however, she starts to show a strength of character and independence that I didn’t think she was capable of.  This made me like her character so much more.  Her character seemed a little bland before.

As for Slate.  I liked the growth of his character it seemed natural.  I would’ve enjoyed knowing more on his past.  Maybe a scene or two.  Just to cement the way he is and what he has done before arriving in Brume.

Rainier I did not like from the get-go.  In my opinion he is a master manipulator.  Full of deceit and lies.  But I am unable to verify this gut feeling I have about him until the next book.  Sigh!

I also think a small glossary of terms would not be remiss for the French words that are in the book.  I was taken out of my reading to look up what some of them meant.

The ending itself was disappointing in that it left me with so many questions!

With all that being said, this series has so much promise and I’m hooked enough to want more.

I received an ARC via NetGalley of this book.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Lately I have really enjoyed reading stories based on Arthurian legends.

And this story has a lot of influence from it, it slowly introduces you to a world full of magic and adventures.
 Although I must say that the book was very long and there were moments where I really wanted to put it aside, because of how slow it was.

However I must admit that ma has hooked and would like to read a little more about this story.
I didn't really know what to expect from Of Wicked Blood, but I was totally blown away! A brilliant story of a forgotten magic and a quest to recover it, this book has everything. A thrilling romance, a pulse pounding adventure, and an eerie vibe that is hard to tear yourself away from!

So far, one of my favourite books of the year. Can't believe I have to wait so long for the sequel!

I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fun, enjoyable book to read. It features chapters from both Slate and Cadence's POV and follows them as they discover that they are two of the four people required to bring about the return of magic.  I loved their progression from adversaries to friends and more.  Slate's easy-going and sarcastic personality lightened the book and I found him really relatable.  The animosity between him and Adrien was amusing and I loved the quaint setting of Brume.

While I found the plot slow to start, there was enough suspense to keep me interested.  I am intrigued to learn more about Rainier and the failed attempt to bring magic back.  However, I felt the ending was a little rushed and confusing.  I will probably reread the last couple of chapters later on to try and understand what happened.

Thank you to NetGalley and Twig Publishing for an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
This would make a great Disney movie. If they take out the cussing. It's full of magic and fantasy.

Slate who grew up in foster homes, finds out he is the decendent of a well-known magical family from Broom. The last living decedent that has to help the town get its magic back.

This isn't the type of book i like but it will be good for the teens.

I received the arc for this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review so here goes.

*4.5 stars

Loved the plot and concept of a trial with a badass team assembling. I feel the start however was a bit slow paced and the ending extremely fast paced. Overall it was a good read and an easy one to get through.

The characters themselves were great and there was a good amount of character development for Slate and Gaelle, I feel there is a lot more too the De Morel and Mercier family which I’m really excited to learn about in the upcoming sequel novels.

The romance was good, the issues that occurred between them were not drawn out and I feel they were concluded well and maturely for a YA novel.

Was I the only one confused by the ending though? I might have to reread that and try and make more sense out of it. I think maybe a chapter after the final one may have been go to maybe hint at whats to come in the next book to keep some hype for it.

Overall it was a great read and I’ll definitely be picking up a physical copy and reading the rest of the series when it’s released!
The book just wasn’t for me. I did not finish the book after reading 23% because I couldn't get into the story or writing style. I thought some of the word choice and turns of phrase used were really awkward, and I struggled to connected with the characters. While this is set at a university, I found the writing a bit juvenile, and I think that younger YA readers will be more interested in this urban fantasy, although the frequent cursing may be an issue for younger readers.
I LOVED this book! Everything about it was great! I really enjoyed the writing style and the character arcs. The only thing I felt was off was the choppy pacing. It never found it's groove when it came to the pacing.
Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Of Wicked Blood was an exceptionally fun read! I adored all the characters,  the slow-burning romance and the feeling of being a Goonie!

The treasure hunt of the story line was like trick-or-treating down a spooky town with a huge smile on your face. Ghosts, Dragons, Sirens, Greek mythology and more coming to life on the page! It was like I was part of this quick to love scooby gang that incited so much love and edge of my seat concern for their safety at the end!! Will all the personalities make it out of the Wicked Blood alive?! You need to add this book to your list and find out how much fun this hunt was!
There's nothing wrong with this book, I just couldn't get into it.

The story starts with Slate, a young thief, receiving a letter letting him know that he's part of a traditional family from a French village obsessed with witchcraft. He visits the place he was born and ends up stealing a ring from a corpse at the cemetery, and it gets stuck on his finger. The ring has a bloodstone that holds black magic, and Slate needs Cadence, another main character, to help him retrieve the elements that will unlink him from the stone.

I didn't get attached to the characters but I can't pinpoint why exactly. The writing was good, but the adventure aspect of it didn't succeed in grabbing my attention.
I got "Of wicked blood" from netgalley for an honest review.

The book is interesting, and started good. But the story got boring for me. The romance between two characters went too easy, I like it more difficult like more enemies to lover.

In general  the story is okay entertaining, and some will love this story but it wasn't for me. I just found it a bit too weak, and couldn't keep my interest.
This is an amazing first novel in what I hope will continue into an amazing series.

Full of dark academia, folklore, magic and suspense, this tells the tale of a group thrown together and tasked with working as a team to complete a ritual that has a history of killing and crippling those who had tried in the past. The story is told in dual perspective, which just adds to the ability to connect with the two main characters. There is a super slow burn romance involved too, which is full of angst and longing; as well as highlighting the unique coming of age of a young woman under the strict scrutiny of her father. The ending of this one just left me wanting more.

This is a definite must-read for fans of urban fantasy and dark academia. I will definitely be adding this one to my shelves!

Thank you to NetGalley and Twig Publishing for the opportunity to read this in exchange for my honest review.
3.5*** I was given an advanced reader copy by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good read and would be a particular thrill for a teenage and young adult audience.

The book is set in a picture perfect, quaint, Harry Potter-esque town. It is described really well and the concept that there used to be magic there is again very believable. The four elements/magic idea is good and the challenges the characters go through are also well thought out.

The main characters Slate and Cadence are likeable. Slate in particular has real character development and an interesting back story that is touched on throughout the book. Cadence is a little bit immature as a character, going from loving someone, getting fed some information so hating them, then deciding she loves them again when they kiss etc. It's that teenage romance novel type character/situation which does at times have you saying "what are you doing Cadence you idiot" at the book.

The father-daughter relationship is quite creepy in my opinion and I do think that the father character could be more developed e.g threading in some of his shiftiness earlier throughout the book. It would have been really interesting to find out more about him as he seemed like a character who had evil intentions at heart.

The ending was nice but was a bit flat. It seemed like it was really building up and then suddenly.... *SPOILER ALERT*

...... it's a happy ending and the curse has been broken somehow. What about the dodgy father? There is no way any rational human being wouldn't share that information. What about the dodgy mayor and blackmailing plot?

All in all, an enjoyable read that at times I couldn't put down.
This was a fun one. Life threatening magic, small town mystery, secret societies, and witty characters combine to form an unexpectedly addictive story. So much so that I actually finished this novel in one sitting. Truly, a book I could not put down.
I loved the plot and concept. It was unique, and dealt with a kind of magic that I had never really seen before. However, the real appeal to this novel is the characters.
I pretty much adored every character in Of Wicked Blood, even the ones you’re supposed to hate. There were a couple side characters that felt one dimensional, but that was perhaps because they did not appear often enough for me to really get a sense of them. My favourite is Slate, and I loved his back and forth with Cadence. It was a little “love at first sight” in terms of how quickly they developed feelings for one another, which is not to my taste, but otherwise it was very entertaining.
Other than that, my only major problem with the book came at the end. In the last 25% of the story there is a short scene that involves a confrontation between Slate and another character regarding an overarching mystery that did not find a conclusion in this novel. This book is the first in a series, so continuous narrative threads are to be expected. The issue is that this scene is not complete. There is a teaser dialogue line that casts suspicion on an already suspicious character, and then the rest of the conversation occurs off page. Since this scene doesn’t really add anything to the events of this novel, or the progression of said overarching mystery, all it becomes is a lame and unnecessary lead-in to the sequel book. It wasn’t enough to spoil Of Wicked Blood, but it did leave a sour aftertaste to an otherwise wonderful read.
Thank you to Twig Publishing and Netgalley for providing me with ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Full five stars and then some!!!
If anyone was watching me while reading this book, im sure would've taking me for a nutjob😄😄😄
So many times i laughed out loud on the splendid humor that was absolutely my type plus the absurd,comical, but at the same time dangerous situations that Slate put himself, made me completely forgot my surroundings.
I loved the world building ,wich was told in the perfect way - not like the most that you feel like ticking marks of a list that has to be done, but instead,  got sucked right in and you realize how rich it is and how much you learned about it when you caught yourself like living in it and swinging your emotions every step of the way!
Every character had depth and history that couldn't leave you impartial.
I have to admit i was having extra fun with Slate's character, given that his humor,the swearing and his cynicism was so like me that cracked me up every single time😄
For a strange reason i got the Lucifer Tv show vibe and could purely see in my head Slate saying with his charm "But detective" 😄😄😄
And can relate the other characters too
Cadence as Chloe
Adrien as detective Duche
Bastian as Amenadiel
and Alma as sweet Ella😄😄😄
The Quatrefoil crew was absolutely spot on and the combination of all the characters gave an amazing and so colorful adventure that make you laugh and cry in a matter of few pages.
So happy i got the opportunity to read this and it takes a top plase in my favorites!
After the final i have a lot of questions, that i cant wait to tackle and see what mess they got themselves into in the next book!

Oh i almost forgot - i absolutely LOVED the surprise in the final and the screensots of the back and forth conversations between the autors ,it was just hilarious and touching that they let us peek in behind the curtain of their work.