Cover Image: Arctic Rescue

Arctic Rescue

This is a very real account of a British mariner caught in the crossfire of the early days of the sea war of World War 2. He begins about life in the day and the hopes and dreams of all mariners away from home and progresses to the dire situation he and his carrier mates faced after being torpedoed off the coast of Norway. I was very unfamiliar with all the British and naval slang, but was still riveted by their tale of impossible survival in the frozen sea.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Sapere Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
117 pages

3 stars

This is a pretty good book. However, I had much trouble with all the jargon and slang.

This book is a chronicle of day-to-day operations aboard a British aircraft carrier during WWII. Their ship gets hit by German guns off the coast of Norway and the order to abandon ship was given. Our narrator winds up in a small boat with twenty or so other men.

With nothing to eat or drink and hoping for rescue, they slowly began to die. Only two men were left in Healiss' boat when they were finally rescued by a Norwegian ship. Only forty men survived the ordeal.

I want to thank NetGalley and Sapere Books for forwarding to me a copy of this interesting and informative book for me to read, enjoy and review.