Cover Image: One Snowy Week in Springhollow

One Snowy Week in Springhollow

This was the first time I have read a book by Lucy Knott, and I will definitely be checking out her other books as soon as I can. I found this book such an enjoyable read, with the cutest of main characters in Scarlett and Devon. As the Mum of two nerdy superhero/comic fan twenty-somethings, who have always included me for the movie watching sessions and we’re all Marvel nerds here, I found Scarlett a really believable protagonist.

I loved the way she hid who she was from everyone after Devon, her best friend throughout their childhood, moved to New York when she was 16. She turned her back on the superheroes who had formed the main focus of her childhood, playing superheroes with Devon, Batman to his Robin. The flashbacks to their childhood were fun, interspersed throughout the book and giving their characters more substance. Devon was also incredibly sweet, having gone from a child playing at superheroes to being a Hollywood star and the latest superhero. He was grounded and unaffected by his fame, and very much the same person he was when he lived in Springhollow.

The location was wonderful, and with the snow it really helped me feel festive whilst reading it. and more than one hot chocolate was consumed during the reading of this festive romance! I also loved the bakery, and the cookie competition, it made me want to google cookie recipes!

I also loved Scar’s nerdy best friends, Holly and Jess, and especially the fact that in the ten years they were friends, they had no clue she was a superhero nerd just like them! In addition to the romance, this was a story about someone who hid who she was for years, thinking it would hurt her less, but who finds that being herself and being true to who she really is will help her find her dreams.

This would definitely get my Netflix/Hallmark vote, I would love to see this as a movie! This was a perfectly festive, cosy read with a friends-to-lovers story that will make you want to bake gingerbread and cookies!
The Blurb :
Tomboy Scarlett thought Devon would be her best friend forever. He was the only person in Springhollow who supported her ambitious artist dreams. But then one winter, Devon and his parents disappear without warning to start a new life in NYC and a devastated Scarlett is left alone to face her high-school bullies and overbearing mother.
Fast-forward ten years: Scarlett is playing it safe in her childhood village with a dull PA job and a wardrobe that passes her mother's old-fashioned standards. Meanwhile, Devon is a Hollywood heartthrob, starring in the latest superhero blockbuster. And he's finally coming home for Christmas...
Scarlett can't help blaming her former best friend for the way her life has turned out, but Devon's cheeky charm and gorgeous smile prove difficult to resist. Devon always did make her feel on top of the world, but Scarlett knows her heart isn't racing just because she has her friend back – is it mistletoe madness, or is she seeing Devon in a completely new light?
Scarlett hasn't taken a risk in years... but this Christmas of second chances could finally be her time to shine.

My Thoughts :
We meet Scarlett and Devon, best friends since childhood they shared everything together. When 16 year old Devon and his family suddenly up and leave for the bright lights of NYC, Scarlett is lost and cant forgive her best friend for leaving her especially as she has had it tough. Lucy just gets on with her life and starts work with friend Hope, as a PA in magazine publishing. Life is pretty dull for her in Springhollow.
Fast forward 10 years and Devon is back, having made it big in Hollywood, staring in a movie as a superhero. where does that leave his friendship with Scarlett!?. And can she forgive him for leaving her when she needed him the most!.
Lucy Knott captures the lives and friendship of Scarlett and Devon perfectly.
I loved the flashbacks to their childhood years, and watching how their lives have moved on and who they became as people. Scarlett in particular has her own journey of discovery and they are both so likeable in their own ways.
A story that is full of festive fun, friendships and love. One you must pick up and devour over a mug of Hot Chocolate, curled up under a blanket.
This book is just a great and comforting read. Boy and girl are great friends. Boy moves away and become famous. Girl grows up believing their friendship meant nothing. Boy meets girl again and .... well you will just have to read it for yourself. You will not be disappointed
Small town, big movie star and the girl next door....what more could you want?? This would make a perfect Hallmark Christmas movie!
Scarlett as a MC is edgy but at the same time introvert. Devon (Scarlett’s best friend whilst growing up) sounds like the perfect guy and he’s a superhero too! There are a range of great secondary characters and they work well together. They are all relatable - even the pushy mother.
If you are looking for a small town and big city romance story featuring boy meets girl scenario then this is the perfect cosy read.
I love all of Lucy’s books and this one did not disappoint at all. Beautifully written, with some lovely characters: I couldn’t put it down.
This is such a sparkly, larger-than-life book that I whizzed through!

Scarlett has lived in the small village of Springhollow all her life. Her childhood was full of superheroes, drawing and skateboarding with her best friend Devon, and he also helps out with keeping her school bullies at bay. Her life changes at 16, when Devon leaves for New York. Now she works at the local paper, albeit with her best friend, and is being dressed in frilly blouses by her Mum.

She's convinced herself she's doing just fine, until one morning she sees a poster of a Devon on the wall of the bakery, literally dressed as a superhero. Then she bumps into him (literally) and all her anger comes out before she can stop herself. When Devon left, there was no longer a barrier to her bully, Ruby, and she hid away everything about herself.

With Devon back, she slowly starts to turn back in to the old Scarlett: drawing comic books, wearing clothes she has picked out and not caring what anyone thinks. She has always been creative, and every year works at the local fair. This year the activity is decorating the gingerbread houses

I found Devon absolutely dreamy. With his broad shoulders, gingery-ish hair and boyish grin, he had me swooning throughout the book! I loved that he saw right through Scarlett and didn't believe any of the lines that she fed him.

When we first met Scarlett, I was absolutely rooting for her and raring for her to tell her bully and Mum where to stuff it and celebrate being herself. I loved her story with Devon, but seeing the road to her self-acceptance was just as wonderful. Plus the ending was so magical, and I definitely could have spent more time in New York. I'm also a sucker for a small village romance, so I adored the community spirit with the bakery, the fairs and more.

This was a lovely, sweet-as-sugar romance that had me wanting to return to Springhollow. I would absolutely recommend for some extremely readable escapism this Christmas! Now I'm off to ask the lovely Lucy for her peppermint hot chocolate recipe...
This is the story that everyone who has ever been ashamed of their inner or outer geekiness needs to read. It's about learning to love yourself, and that you really are good enough to aim for your dreams.

And as someone who will admit to having many geek like tendencies, I felt it so refreshing to read Scarlett and Devon's story.  I was never sure if they would get together or not but I absolute loved all the flash backs to the trouble they got up to as children.

It's clear they both thought they were superheroes, and on more than one occasion attempted to fly, but when Devon is made to move to New York when they are 16, it leaves Scarlett in rather a bad place.  She's never left Springhollow, and has hidden for 10 years all the parts of her that made her feel like herself.

Then Devon returns to Springhollow, on a press junket for his new film, for he is now the latest superhero, and meets adult Scarlett, and let's just say sparks fly - mainly of anger!

Scarlett's best friends Hope and Jess are also really into superheroes and had no idea of Scarlett's true love of them, let alone the true extent of her unrealised, abandoned ambitions.

Yes there is a romance at the heart of it, of the will they won't they sort -and I did really love Devon, both his younger version and the man he has become.

But it really is Scarlett's re-awakening that spoke to me the most.  I could feel her pain, I could understand her mother issues really well, and kept willing her on, to make what seemed like to me the logical decisions.

It's an incredibly enjoyable book, that I'm glad I had the chance to read - and the descriptions of Gingerbread houses were exquisite.  There is great creativity in the story, and I would happily read more books set in Springhollow, should they ever exist.  It was a lovely setting.

Another great book from Lucy Knott, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Unfortunately I found this book far too predictable. Half way through, I could quite easily have given up but persevered. I can’t say I really liked the characters and definitely did not like the ‘description ‘ of an English village. Sorry, cannot recommend. .
💕 Lucy Knott has captured the essence of one girl's struggle to survive in a world where we are supposed to be "normal". As a girl with three older brothers, I was a real tomboy. I wanted to do the things they did, climb trees, wrestle with them in front of the TVs every Saturday morning, and polish up the chrome on their motorbikes, I loved them and it made me happy. But when I hit High School, that changed. I was bullied relentlessly by a gang of girls. I hid it from my brothers and parents and it still has an effect on me today! Reading Scarlett's story helped me to understand those feelings and remember that sadly, bullying happens all too often.
Watching Scarlett grow as she comes to terms with her difference and learns (with Hope, Jess and Devon's help) to love herself again is heartwarming. She rediscovers her own identity, and this has made for one of the best books on self-love I have read. The message is written throughout the book in a way which makes the story believable, honest and touching. I think many people, not just women, will relate to it as I did.
Devon's love, support and encouragement has enabled Scarlett to remember the best parts of their friendship, and eventually herself. He draws her back to the girl she has hidden away, and reminds her how much she likes her younger self, now she sees her through adult eyes. He is charming, funny and gently persuasive and I found him to be the perfect Superhero in Scarlett's adventure.
The Christmas theme running throughout brings the winter wonderland alive. The community spirit and friendly atmosphere, wrapped up in the Christmas Fair's events and secured in a huge bow of festive charm, make it an enjoyable read for the season. If you are looking for a special gift this Christmas, 'One Snowy Week in Springhollow" should be top of your list!
This one was super cute! I am really into holiday books right now and this has been one of the better ones I have read! I really loved the setting and characters.
I like Lucy Knott's books and I liked this one.
It made me smile, root for the characters and I liked the characters, the plot and the setting.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Scarlett thought Devon would always be her best friend. With their superhero ideas and then he moved to New York at 16 and left her to deal with school bullies on her own. She stopped doing her comic drawings and withdrew. He then becomes a big superhero himself in the movies.
A lovely Story that keeps you involved from start to finish. A few red herrings thrown in the path of romance adds to the enjoyment. Recommended to those who enjoy reading this type of book.
I think it will be easier if I do this in points that I loved about it, so I can concentrate. First though, let me start by saying that I read this book twice while it was in various stages of editing and I was still super excited to read it when it came out. I made myself wait a few days even though I got an early copy on Netgalley (and ordered the kindle and paperback versions) because I didn't want it to be over and done with so quickly! Each and every time I've read it, it's given me the same warm, fuzzy, happy feelings in my heart!!

1 - The Characters.

They seem like a good place to start! :) I love Lucy's books, like LOVE them, because she always writes books that I want to see on the shelf and all of her books are different. Case in point, Scarlett and Devon. I'm not going to spoil the story, so I'm just going to give more of vague descriptions that you probably already know about. Scarlett and Devon are past twenty-five, love superheroes, comic books, skateboarding and still hold onto that childhood joy in life. Another reader said my thoughts exactly the other day when she said, "we rarely get to see these types of leading ladies in adult fiction." This is why I love Lucy's writing and the fact that she writes from the heart and goes with her passions, because I couldn't agree more. Take it from someone who practices dance routines to songs from TV shows that she is currently obsessed with, hops on a skateboard with her niece every now and again and loves the Marvel franchise x 3000 - we need to be seen too and this book is that! Long story short - the characters are awesome in every way, main and secondary.

2 - Christmas vibes and setting.

If you're looking for a book that will make you feel all the joys of Christmas, with a small town that makes everything extra cosy, then look no further. Springhollow has everything you could possibly want from a town - a cute park with a gazebo that changes decorations for each holiday, a friendly library, family run bakery, historical buildings and much more. I adored being right in the middle of it and genuinely couldn't wait to pick up my kindle. Like I said, even when I was reading the first few edits, this festive charm was already there in abundance making me so excited to read the final version and to see this story out in the wild. Also, the treats and peppermint lattes will have you in the kitchen in no time. We made our own peppermint hot chocolate and gingerbread a few weeks ago because of it!

3 - The story.

Again the story was something different for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. There was something about Devon that was completely swoon worthy and loveable all at the same time. I think because he knew how he felt for so long, it just made it cute and sweet and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when he was around. Scarlett had a journey that I could completely relate too from my high school experiences, plus being a twin, I know what it's like to have someone glued to my side, so then if I have to do something by myself a lot of and I mean A LOT of anxiety can ensue. It made me happy when Scarlett started to believe in herself and be her again and when she gets to a certain point towards the end I was like, "Yes!! You go Scar!"
Oh I also have to point out that there are flashbacks in this book to Scarlett and Devon's childhood and oh my goodness, Lucy is a genius, because these are hilarious!!! One of them was in the very first three chapters when she started writing it a year ago and I think I laughed for a good ten minutes that my husband was just looking at me smiling - it still gets me every time!

4 - The Message.

So, we have a leading lady who doesn't fit the 'usual' boxes and we have a superhero theme running throughout this adult romance. Already it's something different and right up my alley, then to make it that much better, Lucy had a kick ass message about never being afraid of being who you are and never letting anyone stop you passionately pursuing what you love. As someone who has never had a problem with the latter, but quite often had to take a lot of stick for it, especially in high school, I can't tell you how much Scarlett's story meant. Once again Lucy managed to write a story inspired by certain real life scenarios - I should know, I was there with her in high school - and turned it into one that is empowering, fun, bold, unique and special. There were moments even I had to stop and say out loud "did my sister really write this?" - I kid...she knows I'm joking, but honestly I'm so impressed. The message is fantastic and the way it's written is perfect to me!

Final thoughts are that 'One Snowy Week in Springhollow,' is a super read, quite possibly Lucy's best yet! It's full of happiness, joy, strong messages, heart-warming friendships, snow, festive fun, hilarious flashbacks and enough superhero references to keep this nerd satisfied!
Another delightful holiday read! This one filled with second chance romance, small town, Hallmark-vibes... I was able to breeze through it and it left me feeling warm inside like a Chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven. Perfect to curl up and read with... I would have absolutely loved it except it felt like something was missing... Maybe a little more connection? I'm not exactly sure. Overall, I enjoyed it, but didn't absolutely fall in love.
Release Date: November 5, 2020

📖📖📖📖

Scarlett and Devon had been inseparable as children but Devon and his family moved away when he was 16. Now he’s back and Scarlett feels like she’s waking back up with him around again. He’s only visiting though, his home is in New York. What could possibly come of their feelings for each other?

I LOVED the concept for this book. I loved the characters in that heart wrenching way that you want them to be happy. I would have liked some steam but the book was lovely. My major complaint was that the author set up so many challenges for the lead couple and the breaking challenge was the least interesting. I would read this book again!

I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review. All options are my own.

#bookstagram #netgalleyreads #asnowyweekinspringhollow #bookrecommendations #lucyknott
When is saw this book to read I expected a typical Christmas romance story. How wrong was I. From heartache, loneliness and sadness, to achieving dreams, falling in love all over again and happiness. What more could you ask for, well the added bonus of Christmas in a sleepy village, Christmas in New York and a bit of Marvel. Couldn’t fault this book and being new to this author I will definitely be picking up more books from the author.
A book of second chances. Scarlett thought she could never forgive Devon for disappearing with his family overnight to New York City. She stayed behind, found a safe job and has led a boring life since. Devon, now a Hollywood heartthrob is coming home for Christmas. Is Devon going to become more than Scarlett's friend? Full of Christmas cheer that will make you feel cosy.
I struggled a bit to get into this book. While I love small town Christmas stories, I didn't love the characters too much.

I felt Scarlett was a bit too wet fish, and I didn't love the power dynamic experienced between her and her mother. I couldn't find any reason for Scarlett, a 26 year old independent girl, to still be dressed by her mother.

Devon also nerved me quite often,

The story is lovely, but the characters fell flat for me.
A story of friendships and second chances, set within the small town of Springhollow.

Meet Scarlett and Devon, two best friends joined at the hip over their love of superheroes until Devon moves away when he is sixteen. Until they meet again ten years later when Scarlett goes to interview him for her local paper now he is a celebrity.

It is like they have never been apart as they catch up on old times and make new memories.

A light, easy romance read. Predictable with the outcome but still a nice read