Cover Image: The Night Away

The Night Away

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for approving me to read this.
This was my first thriller by Jess Ryder and though I started slow with "The Night Away" I was soon into the storyline and enjoying what it had to offer. The storyline doesn't have many twists and turns and I did enjoy the plot twist on "Who Abducted Mabel!!!" I think it could of been a bit more dark and sinister rather than forgiving and happy families, but hey, I'm just a Physcological/Crime Thriller enthusiast that likes to see the bad nitty gritty!!!! I was happy everything worked out in the end none the less and enjoyed my first read by Jess, I would go on to read more of her books in the future! Would recommend **** 4/5 stars
The Night Away by Jess Ryder was a great read and I was hooked from the very first few pages and I couldn't put it down. I was so glad I was day off the next day. This book is full of twists and Turns throughout which I love within a good book and this did not disappoint, especially the characters they were all excellent.

I highly recommend this fantastic book. Brilliant read.

Big thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
This book was a pretty good read. While I would not say that it was unput-downable, it did keep me interested. There are parts in the story where it feels like it drags on and on, other part I flew through. It’s definitely psychological thriller type book, with a bit of a twist that you don’t come in until about 75% into the book. It’s all told from basically two perspectives. The one that has the child and family that doesn’t. I don’t really know how else to explain that without giving anything away. Overall I enjoyed the book and would probably recommend it to another reader with the notation that it does drag in some places.

Amber and George decide to spend a weekend away from the baby Mabel Leaving Amber’s sister Ruby to babysit. For several weeks before weird things have been happening, but nobody really takes notice as everything seems to be in an upheaval since Mabel has been born. Someone has been following Amber and knows the routine, and the minute they have the chance Mabel is missing. Her sister being a suspect, along with her boyfriend, causes havoc. Who has Mabel and will they find her in time?
A night away.
A baby is taken.
The babysitter is the babies Auntie.
Has she got something to do with the disappearance ?
The media certainly think so.
A good read
Thanks NetGalley
High school sweethearts Amber and George finally have a baby girl. Why is she struggling so much with motherhood when it’s everything she has ever wanted? George sees and books a night away at a hotel to get away. Ruby, Amber’s sister agrees to watch Mabel for the night. What they don’t know is someone has been watching Amber’s every move . Someone else is desperate to have a baby. When Ruby leaves the key in the door when she returns from an outing,  someone takes it and makes a copy. The following weekend Amber is upset that George has to go out of town for work and last minute decides to leave town herself and asks Ruby to watch Mabel again. But this time in the middle of the night, Mabel is taken.

This story is told between Amber, Ruby and the kidnapper. I was pulled in from the very first page. Who took Mabel? Is she still alive? Did Ruby do something to her? Did Amber plan something to happen? Lies and secrets surround this story from every angle and everyone is a suspect.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for my advanced copy.  This was a page turner and I thoroughly enjoyed!!

🌟🌟🌟🌟/5
I love Jess Ryder’s books so much; she has me turning pages so fast I’m full of paper cuts!

This was a good thriller with some interesting twists and turns. I had a few guesses as to who the kidnapper would be, and I have to admit I had an inclination early on - I was right about who just not... who exactly! This is a good book that can keep you guessing. I was nervous for Mabel throughout. I generally don’t enjoy kidnapped children stories but I love Jess Ryder so I gave this one a go!
I didn’t want to leave her. But my husband insisted that a weekend away would do me good. I’ve been feeling like someone is watching me, that things in our home aren’t where I left them. He says I need a break. My sister offered to babysit my precious Mabel. She promised me that everything would be fine.

But while we’re away, the phone call comes. Mabel has been taken.

I rush home, a horrible sick feeling flooding my stomach. I climb the stairs to her nursery to find her little cot empty, our home horribly quiet..

The police are interviewing everyone, but nobody knows what happened to Mabel. My sister is distraught, my husband in pieces. But they wanted me to leave my child. How can I trust them?

Someone wants to hurt me. To punish me. Do they know what I’ve done? And how can I find the truth, and bring my darling girl home?

Jess Ryder is a fantastic author.  She always delivers a nail biting, suspenseful, original psychological thriller.

Jess Ryder always portrays her characters extremely well in her novels and she explores their flaws.  The reader always ends up with a favourite character that they know inside and out.

This was a great psychological thriller and I didn't expect anything less from Jess.
I did  enjoy reading  this book, this was another brilliant offering by this talented author. This was a thrilling read and I can't wait to read the next one.
Recommended.
TB
I enjoyed this book. Jess Ryder really captured the anxiety that a lot of new parents (or even experience parents) feel the first time they leave their babies.  She didn't just capture it, she took it and ran a marathon with it.  It really was one of my worst nightmares when my first was born, so reading this really kept me on the edge of my seat and it kept my heart racing as I read it.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc!
A great story with so many twists that I couldn't fathom how it was possibly going to end. Loved it. Highly recommended
Really enjoy this story because it was so unpredictable. What couple recently who had a child doesn’t need a night out? Most people would trust your sister to watch your child. What do you do when your child goes missing and you where away from home?

Several twists and turns that keeps you guessing what will happen next.
Thank you Netgalley for complimentary copy. Thoughts and opinions are my own.
I love Jess Ryder and this didn’t disappoint! I had been in a bit of a reading funk but this pulled me right out! Lots of shock twists, and some really well written chapters, I let my bath water go cold and my bed time get that bit later all to find out just who took Mabel and why!
This book waited on my shelf for much longer than it should have! Absolutely brilliant!
FIVE paranoid stars! I was so into this book from the very first line! So many twists, turns and WTF moments. Lets face it, we are all looking for those WTF moments that make you need to re-read the page-moments and this book had those! Jess Ryder is such an awesome author who I love reading and all her books get 10 stars from me...Have you read The Ex Wife????!!
The Night Away was exceptional. I was reading while my air fryer was going, while my dog was waiting for me to throw his ball, while my husband was trying to tell me god knows what, while my 6 year old was trying to tell me about a video game. This book had me so consumed that I was legit thinking of songs for certain moments...like a movie in my head. Opening is "Sweet Child O'Mine"....
There's a part in the book where I couldn't stop thinking of Bryan Adams "Gonna run to you" (hint: Beginning 20%)
10 stars
Thank you @Netgalley, @JessRyder and @Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
x
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this arc in exchange for an honest review.

Amber is struggling as a relatively new mom when her husband George suggests they have a night away. Amber’s somewhat flaky younger sister, Ruby babysits for them and things go well enough but the next weekend, when she babysits again, the baby goes missing and everyone seems to be a suspect.

4.5 stars.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this book. I felt that the story moved along at a good pace and there were just enough secrets being revealed that I didn’t get bored. I really did want to know what was going on and who was up to what and I wasn’t disappointed with any of the reveals. I have read several books from this author and this was one of the better ones.
A solid 4 star read that was well written, riveting, and chilling!  The writing was great, the characters developed in a way I could connect, and the story itself is uniqie in ways!  Had lots of fun twists and turns, chilling chills, thrilling thrills, and gasp worthy shocks!  I think Jess Ryder is one of those authors that does know how to formulate a great thriller, in a way that captures the author from beginning to end.  Highly recommend!
Thank you to #Netgalley and #JessRyder for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this one. The main character was something to be desired but I liked the other characters. The ending was a little predictable but overall the writing is done very well and held my attention the whole time. Will definitely be reading more from Jess Ryder!
Amber is finding motherhood tricky. Her sister offers to babysit so that Amber and her husband George can have a night away. They have a wonderful time and the followign weekend they go away again leaving Ruby in charge once more. But when Ruby wakes, baby Mabel has vanished...
The Night Away was an excellent psychological thriller. I found myself completely immersed in the plot and loved the twists and turns. The style of writing is engaging and fast paced, and had me devouring this book in just a few hours.
Amber is a likeable character but she has been keeping secrets from her family including her husband. She has been finding it tough to cope with the way her life has changed since becoming a mum and I think that most parents will identify with her emotions.
Her sister Ruby has always felt second best and is desperate for approval. The two sisters have not been close but they have had a warmer relationship since Mabel's birth. Now the trust has been shattered as Ruby is blamed for the kidnapping.
I liked the way author Jess Ryder lets us see the first person perspective of the abductor. It reassures the reader that Mabel is safe yet raises questions about the links with the family. I'm not sure that I found the conclusion totally convincing but it was a brilliant psychological thriller.
This was a great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, great storyline and loads of twists and turns , highly recommend this book x
This was a twisty read- as others have said, it's a storyline you read a lot in this genre, but this book put a new twist on it.  It centers primarily on Amber, who couldn't wait to have a baby but is trying to hide the fact that she has postnatal depression and isn't as happy as she expected to be.  Amber's husband, George, convinces her to spend a night away so they can rekindle their relationship and Amber can get her groove back, leaving Amber's sister Ruby to babysit.  Turns out that someone has been watching them and waiting for an opportunity to take the baby (Mabel) away, believing that Amber is a terrible mother and the baby should be with them.

The book alternates between the points of view of Amber, Ruby, and the unnamed villain.  I always enjoy the changes in POV, as it makes for a quick read.  The book slowed a little bit in the middle where they were making the plea for Mabel's return and talking about how they can't live without her.  The pace picks up again, though, once Amber's secrets are revealed and we also get more insight as to what is happening to Mabel post-kidnap.  The unveiling of the villain is well done- I read late into the night because I couldn't wait to see who it was.

Overall, this is a new twist on an old storyline, and absolutely worth the read.  Jess Ryder does it again!  Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
It was just one night away. I had no idea how devastating it would be…

My sister said I deserved a break. She offered to babysit so that my husband and I could have one night away, remember who we used to be before the sleepless nights.

But the next morning my phone rings. My sister is hysterical. Mabel’s cot is empty. My little girl is gone.

I race home with a horrible sick feeling flooding my stomach. The little sleepsuits still hang on the radiator but there is no gurgling or cooing on the baby monitor – just silence.

Now the police are questioning everyone. My sister, my husband, the girls from my baby group.

I want my little girl back more than anything and I will do whatever it takes. But I have a secret… Could the darkness in my past have put my baby at risk?

A truly gripping psychological thriller of manipulation and betrayal from bestselling author Jess Ryder. The Night Away will have you hooked until the final devastating revelation. Perfect for fans of The Girl on the Train or The Woman in the Window.

BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Night Away' by Jess Ryder.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 2nd November 2020

This is the second book that I have read by this author. I have also read 'The girl you gave away' which I loved and would highly recommend!!

I was originally drawn to this book by  its eye catching and intriguing cover and intriguing synopsis. blown away by it. I have also read another book by Jess Ryder which I loved so hoping this will be just as good.  I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of 44 chapters. The chapters are medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in London, UK 🇬🇧 . I always enjoy when books are set in the UK as I'm from Wales and have sometimes visited areas mentioned in the book. This makes it easier to picture the scenes.

This book is written in a mix of first and third person perspective and the main protagonists are a mystery character (to start, we'll call the mystery not to give away and first person perspective) Amber (Third person perspective) and  Ruby (Third person perspective). I enjoy books written in both first and third person with several protagonists as it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. You alse get to bond more in first person perspective with the character. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

This book is fantastically written, another amazing success from Jess Ryder. It starts off with from 'A few weeks ago' and moves onto 'X days without/with Mabel'. It all flows really well and the descriptions really put you in the picture. The only niggle I have really is with the synopsis stating 'It was just one night away' when really it had been the second and would have been more but that's me being pedantic. I thought the cover worked perfectly with the timeline considering all the action that happened surrounding that door.

The storyline itself swept me straight up and didn't put me down until the last page. A true page turner. It is filled with twists, turns, nail biting suspense, lies, loss and drama. I was completely surprised at the first twist but couldn't say I was shocked as to who the person was... Its quite hard to describe what I mean without giving top much away but it's at about 69% the revelation I'm talking about for those who have read it. I was then kept on my toes with the rest of the shocks to come, nome of which I seen coming!! Anothrt major success for Jess Ryder. I am looking forward to reading more of her books and would love to see this one turned into a movie.

I was completely invested in the characters who all seemed to have something to hide which you find out piece by piece. I must say I wasn't a fan of Amber and her attitude towards Ruby. Argghhhh... Its so hard to say how I feel towards certain characters without giving too much away. I do feel there were only 2 real victims in all of this, I can't say who but it would be interesting to see what others think. I'm still also not sure about a certain character and how much involvement they truly had and how much they could be trusted. I will say I also could not stand Amber and Ruby's mother and find her attitude dispicable as a mum of three myself. Most definitely a mixed bunch but a mixed bunch that worked well in this case, or not so well depending on how your looking.

Overall a gripping page turning psychological thriller that will keep you guessing throughout.

Genres covered in this novel include Mystery, Domestic Thriller and Psychological Thriller amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Jess Ryder, C.L Taylor and Shalini Boland.

344 pages.

This book is £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon or free which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheNightAway #Bookouture  #JessRyder #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@JessRyder @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Author Bio:

Jess Ryder is the author of five psychological thrillers - 'The Ex Wife', 'Lie to Me', 'The Good Sister', 'The Dream House', The Girl You Gave Away' and her latest, published November 2 2020 - 'The Night Away'. All titles are published by Bookouture. She also writes as Jan Page. With many years' experience as a scriptwriter, she loves watching television crime drama. Jess is a passionate reader and particularly enjoys thrillers.

Jess lives with her partner in London, UK and has four grown-up children.

Buy Links: