Cover Image: The One Before

The One Before

Madison and her fiance’ Connor have just moved from Atlanta to his hometown, Whisper Falls, TN.
Connor’s family lives in a beautiful home on the lake and are town royalty.
It’s a small town and everyone knows everyone’s business.
Not long after moving, Madison discovers that Connor’s high school girlfriend died and that the townspeople believe it wasn’t an accident.
Madison knows Connor is a kind, sweet man that could never hurt anyone. All he wants is to give her the life she dreams of and she loves him with all of her heart.
She hears rumors around town. She feels unsettled. Should she ask questions and risk disrupting her new life? Should she believe the loving man that has always supported her or strangers that love to gossip?
________________________________________
I love stories that are set in small towns. Especially ones full of secrets. I thought I had this one figured out, but I was wrong. There are definitely some curveballs and at one point I just sat there stunned for a minute. It’s a quick, entertaining read. I really enjoyed it!
"As a young woman, I turned heads.  Now I'm easily overlooked in crowds because my looks have faded and I'm always alone.  Practically invisible."  This twisty tale by Miranda Smith is full of secrets, lies, and mystery.  It kept me guessing from beginning to end!  Definitely worth reading!

Thank you to NetGalley, the Publisher and Author for providing an ARC copy for me to read.
Firstly, thanks to NetGalley and Bookoutre for the opportunity to preview.

I found this to be an ok read. Cooper comes from a wealthy family and he brings his fiancée, Madison to his hometown of Whisper Falls to live. There is a mystery as to why Madison wanted to leave her job and friends in the city, but, when the secret is revealed it’s a bit of a let down. In fact, I found the whole  book a tad formulaic and the writing style bland.

Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character and that works well, as does the theme of an earlier murder mystery that Cooper is suspected of. Because of this, it was OK for me.

It’s just missing that difficult to explain ‘something’ that made it a bit of a chore to finish. The twist is ok and there is an element of surprise.
The one before is quite a slow but progressive read. Although you quickly learn of Coops previous girlfriends body being found in the lake, it takes a while to unravel the story.

Enjoyable, good characters.
What I look forward to the most in a mystery thriller is having that feeling of not being able to put the book down. "The one before" definitely achieved that since it only took me a few hours to read it.
While the premise of the book might not be the most original, I did like what the author did with it. The plot twists, especially the first one, were nicely executed and got a strong reaction from me, the reader.
I do have to point out that after the second big reveal, the book fizzles out a little bit. I still enjoyed the plot for this final part of the book but I didn't find it as strong as the rest of the novel.
When it comes to characters, my favourite was Helena because she felt the most real to me. Even if she was an unreliable narrator at some points. Madison, our main protagonist, confused me often. Though I understand it was done on purpose.
Overall, this is a very well written book. It keeps you guessing the whole time and, in my opinion, has a satisfying ending.
This was a very enjoyable read for me , full of drama with a good few twists thrown in for good measure .
When Madison moves back to her fiancé's home town of Whisper falls she quickly finds out that Cooper is still very much a person of interest in the murder of his old high school girlfriend . The small community haven't forgotten and Madison starts to wonder . As she continues to investigate she uncovers more secrets and lies  . The Douglas family are rich and powerful and they will go to any lengths to protect the family . Very Good . Highly recommended
The One Before by Miranda Smith was so good! I’ve never read Gave her books before so I don’t know what to expect. I was hooked from the beginning! Madison and her fiancé Cooper are moving back to his hometown of Whisper Falls, Tennessee. His family is the wealthiest family in town and owns the local newspaper. Once they get there  Madison finds out through town gossip that when Cooper was a teenager his girlfriend Celia drowned. It seems that Cooper was the town’s first choice for a suspect. It was ruled an accident but no one in town believes it. Madison doesn’t know what to believe. She doesn’t think Cooper would be capable of such a thing but why is everyone so convinced he did it? Meanwhile, someone is stalking them in the background.  I don’t want to say too much more about the plot. I definitely think if you’re a thriller fan and light twist interns you should read this book. The only criticisms I have are that I felt the past of the character of Madison could have been more fully explored. Also, the ending seemed a little abrupt. Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Madison and Cooper are engaged to me married in his home town of Whisper Falls.
Whisper Falls is a small town. Madison is used to the hustle and bustle of a bigger city. Cooper has his family newspaper to run that is the reason for moving back to his hometown.
Rumors abound in small towns. Whisper Falls is no different. Everyone knows everyone's business. That how Madison learns that Cooper is still considered a suspect in an old girlfriend's death. The more Madison learns the more she questions what the truth may be.
A compelling thriller. Keeps you entertained and is intriguing in all ways a thriller should be.
I really enjoyed this book it kept me guessing and had some twists that surprised me. Madison moves to the hometown of Copper, the man she intends to marry. It doesn’t take her long to find out that Copper hasn’t told her everything about his past , and that he has more secrets he’s keeping from her.  This book was a quick read and held my attention till the end. I would like to thank Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
A slow suspense book with a growing intensity. It took me awhile to get into this book, with the very privileged lives of the family members in the small town where they pretty much own and control everything. Once the story started opening new dimensions I grew to like it. I am very happy to see a protagonist who is not scared of everything, questioning her own motives, but bold enough to know right from wrong, even though it hurts.

It’s hard to find sympathy for a family that is so controlling, thinking they have more rights than others, and think they are omnipotent. I would feel exactly like the protagonist. Not belonging, feeling something is terrible wrong, but it would be hard to pinpoint the main issue.

Some things were cleverly written. I don’t want to spoil anyone’s read, so won’t elaborate on this one. A couple of twists were intriguing, but I figured out the ending, so that was a bit of a bummer. All in all a good read though.
Miranda Smith is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. I loved her previous book What I Know, so I was thrilled to be able to read an early copy of this book.

This is a compelling thriller that kept me guessing. I read this in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down and I had to know the truth.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this E-book to review via Netgalley.
Such an intriguing read!
It was very well written and as a thriller should do, it definitely enterained me!
The characters were well written and the mini plot twist were unexpected. I'm interesting in reading other books from this author, she really can put a twist in the classical thriller. Recommend it and love it!
A few months ago, I read What I Know by Miranda Smith and really enjoyed it. If you haven’t read it, get it now! Her latest, The One Before, is another suspense-filled book with a creepy, promising premise. Imagine you move with your fiance to a beautiful, quiet town. Then you find out that your boyfriend’s girlfriend disappeared and all signs point to your beloved. What would you do? I would start digging and curiosity would get the best of me.

Take a look at the plot:

Whisper Falls is a fresh start for Madison and her fiancé Cooper. The safe, quiet town on the shores of a beautiful lake is the perfect place to spend the rest of their lives.

But then Madison learns that Cooper’s high-school girlfriend Celia disappeared after a party. Three days later, her body was found in the lake.  And the town thinks it wasn’t an accident.

Madison loves Cooper, but she can’t help wondering. She has to know the truth. But if she starts asking questions, what other secrets will be revealed? Will she meet the same fate as the woman who came before her?

You can pre-order the book here and it will be delivered on November 4!
I'm a sucker for books that center around small-town mysteries. This one was packed with lore, gossipy residents,  and a prominent family full of secrets. Even though I guessed the majority of the twists, it was still fun to see how the story played out and how everything tied together.
What if the person you loved was a killer? Engrossing psychological thriller that explores a missing girl and suspect too close to home. It was an amazing book.  I would give it five stars.
Well, this one was quite fast, gripping, nail biter, exciting, devouring at one bite and finishing at one sit kind of reading!

I enjoyed the author’s previous book: “Some days are dark” too much. She can create heart pounding, fast pacing, intriguing storylines with deceitful, unreliable characters.

This time the story formed around a powerful Douglas Family who are wealthy, controlling and one of the most powerful, respectful families of Whisper Falls! A small, beautiful, peaceful town has  shaken to the core with the tragedy of young Celia’s death more than a decade ago. A few gossiping towners still point their finger at Cooper Douglas whose her boyfriend and the last person who saw her alive.
  And now Cooper and his fiancée Madison returned back to town to move that place and build a new life even though Madison has second thoughts to be part of small, stable, quiet town life.

Once upon a time she was ambitious reporter who dreamed to get her promotion but a deceitful source ruined her entire career. Now she has to change the scenery, living her busy life to adjust her new reality at where her fiancée was born and raised. But as everyone talks ill of her fiancée behind his back about his connection to Celia’s murder and dysfunctional dynamics inside Douglas family whose members cannot form a civil conversation without enough booze being served, she has real hard times to adapt in her new life!

And Helen is out there to prove Cooper is the perpetrator of daughter’s death. She’s spying on Madison, stalking her each move. She can do whatever it takes to convince her not to marry with a murderer.

Madison gets more confused as she learns more about her fiancee’s past and Douglas family’s secrets. Are they capable to bury all the evidence against them? Could Helen tell the truth? Could caring, loving Cooper have another personality that he hides from Madison? Is she in danger by not cancelling her marriage plan?

Well, there are two twists I didn’t see it coming which executed so cleverly. I foresaw some revelations but they were still well played. The story kept me in toes. And I loved both Helen and Madison’s well developed, connectable characterizations.

I loved the author’s previous book more but it still excited me and it was whirlwind, fast, captivating reading!

I am giving my four suspicious, mind bending, enjoyable, twisty stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Bookoture for sharing this unputdownable arc copy with me in exchange my honest opinions.
I really enjoyed this book and it had me totally gripped. Madison moves back to her fiancés home town and finds out some chilling rumours about Coopers past.. who does she believe and can she trust the man she’s about to marry? I felt like I was sitting at the edge of my seat reading this, each chapter more gripping than the previous. Highly recommend.
First try with this author and really enjoyed it. Well paced, the characters were pretty well fleshed out, amd I ended up reading this in one sitting!
Another amazing hit from Smith!  Might even be my favorite of hers, which is saying a lot!  Smith knows how to deliver what us thrill lovers are seeking!  Thrills like a amusement park, chills you to the bone, twists and turns like a roller coaster, and shocks that will make you gasp!  Highly, highly recommend!  I optimist though, this is one you do not want to start unless you have no plans and definitely not before bed!  So well written, absolutely realistic, an unique spin on something we’ve seen before, but doesn’t require a suspension or believes!  Absolutely without a doubt UNPUTDOWNABLE!
An excellent thriller! The characters were well drawn and the storyline flowed seamlessly. The mystery kept me guessing until the very end. Highly recommended!