Cover Image: The Betrayal

The Betrayal

An enjoyable thriller, but what would you do if you found out your spouse was cheating on you! A divorce attorney suddenly finds out her spouse has been unfaithful and all unravels from there. This was a book you will not be able to put down. I look forward to more by this author!
I struggled with The Betrayal unfortunately. I found the characters bland and the plot unrealistic. There were quite a few discrepancies throughout the book and all in all, I just didn’t enjoy it. I believe it ‘s the first in a series of Olivia Sinclair books (the central character) but for me, it’s the end of the road I’m afraid, as I won’t be reading anymore.of them.
A guaranteed reading thrill.
Many thanks to HQ Digital and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book for an honest review.

Whilst the formula has been done before, the age of the characters in this book lent it a different feel. I will look out for other books featuring Olivia.
Olivia Sinclair is an attorney on the cusp of retiring when she receives a video from an anonymous source showing her husband Richard in a compromising position with his secretary. After years of representing divorce clients in bad marriages, Olivia is shocked to realize that she herself is in a similar position.

It only gets worse when Richard is murdered and Olivia, the police’s prime suspect, is arrested. Despite the fact that she had a clear motive and there’s evidence that supports the charges, Olivia is innocent. Now it’s up to her to find the evidence to prove it to the police.

Has Richard somehow framed her? His secretary? Or someone else?

The story moves at a fast pace and is well written. The characters are well-developed and interesting. There are enough suspects to keep the story interesting but not too many to bog it down. Of course, there are twists and turns. One of the great things about the book is that it features an older protagonist - Olivia is sixtyish - which is a rarity.

The Betrayal is the first book in a new series. I’m looking forward to reading the second book and hopefylly many more in the series.
It’s nice to have a protagonist who is a bit older and who brings a depth of experience to the trope of betrayed woman whose husband “done her wrong.”  The mystery is not that complicated but that doesn’t matter as it allows the reader to enjoy the fast pace and intense interplays between characters.
Omg omg omg .......... this book was amazing I could not put it down I read every word on the edge of my seat I loved the story line, i loved the way the story just kept us guessing all the way threw I loved all the twists and turns and would defiantly recommend this book it was so believable and kept the reader engaged I love it
3.5/5

This book was an easy who-dun-it book. I was able to figure out who the killer was pretty early on in the book. I enjoyed the details the author put in describing the characters. I liked Olivia. Her husband on the other hand was less than likable.
Sometimes you just need a quick who-dun-it on a Sunday afternoon!
There is a second book in the series that I'll read as well.
I really loved having an older woman protagonist as the central figure to the story. And I am delighted to learn that this book is first in a series of novels, so we get to see her evolve.  I also read it as quickly as I could. The Reader is given multiple choices as to the killer, and I didn’t see it coming.

The story needs work, however. And more character development. I didn’t really feel any depth to any of them. The idea that a woman would be so ignorant of her husband’s multiple infidelities is absurd. Surely along the way there would be some sort of venereal disease from the multiple partners that the disease would be transferred to the wife.
A decent enough book. A retired woman finds out her husband is cheating only to then be charged with the murder of his mistress.

The first half was pretty strong. I loved the absolute scrap investigation by the police. She hires a PI, thankfully. But the second half slowly dipped in logic and plausibility. It also got quite predictable, except if course the relationships she had with others. For most reasons f the book she was a capable, intelligent woman until it came to her husband and daughter. There she somehow missed blaring signs and puzzle pieces.

The copy I received was quite messy. I hope a good editor works on this before publication.
I really enjoyed this one and will look into this author more. I enjoyed with twists and the flow of the story. The writing was well done and kept my interest throughout. I will be recommending this one to friends.
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book is well written and the characters are described well. I absolutely adored Olivia,  Denny, Mary and Lauren's characters in this book. This book will grip you on the edge of your seat from the first page. It is my first book by Terry Lynn Thomas and I can already tell you I will definitely be reading more books by this author. I absolutely highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. This book is in stores for £8.99 (GBP).
EXCERPT: Sunday October 5th

When the alarm blared the Sunday financial recap, the woman woke with a start. She didn't care about the Dow Jones Industrial Average, nor did she care about market volatility. Fumbling, she unplugged the old-fashioned clock radio and tossed it under the bed. Her thoughts, as they often did, went to her lover. She rolled over and pressed her face into his pillow, taking in the scent of him, that strange concoction of vanilla and citrus that made her senses reel.

Rolling over on her back, she took a deep breath and cradled her belly, thinking of the baby that grew inside her. The positive pregnancy test lay on the table next to her, its vertical pink line a source of unimaginable joy. She snuggled under the duvet as the automatic coffee maker kicked into gear, filling her apartment with the aroma of the dark roast coffee her lover preferred.

She saw the card on the doormat just as she poured her first cup of coffee.

I've rented a beach house for us tonight. I'll send a key and the address by messenger. Meet you there around ten?

Leaning back against the counter, the woman closed her eyes, anticipating their rendezvous. Dear God, she craved him.

She did not know that she had less than fifteen hours to live.

ABOUT 'THE BETRAYAL': Attorney Olivia Sinclair is shocked when she receives an anonymous video showing her husband Richard sleeping with someone else. After years of handling other people’s divorces, she thought she could recognise a marriage in trouble.

She angrily throws Richard out of the home they share. But days later she’s arrested—for the murder of his mistress.

Olivia knows she’s innocent but, with all the evidence pointing at her and an obvious motive, she must find the real killer to clear her name.

She may be used to dealing with messy divorces, but this one will be her most difficult case yet. Olivia’s husband has already betrayed her—but would he set her up for murder?

MY THOUGHTS: Delicious! Tightly plotted. Fast-paced. Gripping. I didn't want to put this down. And even though I suspected who the murderer was quite early on, and for once I was right, I enjoyed the journey. Immensely.

The Betrayal has all the ingredients of a great domestic drama - the cheating husband, the big reveal at the worst possible moment, a dead body, the finger - and a great deal of evidence - pointing to the wronged wife, revenge, and duplicity. And the author whips all these into a delicious, captivating and entertaining read.

Of course, Olivia - a very strong woman - doesn't just have a cheating husband and a murder charge to deal with. She is also having issues with her daughter, who seems determined to cut her mother out of her life.

The characters are well portrayed, realistic and believable, the tension palpable.

I believe that this is the first in a series featuring Olivia. I will definitely be lining up to read the next.

⭐⭐⭐⭐.4

#TheBetrayal #NetGalley

I: @ terrylynnthomasbooks @terrylynnthomas @hqstories

T: @TLThomasBooks @HQStories

#contemporaryfiction #familydrama #murdermystery #psychologicaldrama

THE AUTHOR: The Betrayal and The Witness are Terry’s first foray into the world of domestic suspense, and introduce attorney Olivia Sinclair. When she’s not writing, Terry likes to spend time outdoors gardening and walking in the woods with her husband and her dogs.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to HQ, HQ Digital via Netgalley, for providing a digital ARC of The Betrayal by Terry Lynn Thomas for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

For an explanation of my rating system please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com

This review is also published on Twitter, Amazon, Instagram and my webpage
The Betrayal by Terry Lynn Thomas.  HQ Digital, 2021

Olivia, a long-married and sixtyish attorney realizes her attorney husband is not at all as wonderful as he seemed not too long before police discover in her bedroom closet evidence that she murdered his lover, and charge her with murder.  This book is written sparingly but well.  The central plot, is supported with credible characters and details that fully engage readers. Once I started reading this book, I didn’t put it down until I finished it.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of In The Betrayal for free via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.    #TheBetrayal #NetGalley.
Not the most original plot but it's definitely one of the best I've read with that type story line!!! It has a good pace to it and doesn't leave you feeling like entire chapters have been added in just to flesh out the word count with no progression of the actual story. The main character is also refreshingly intelligent and the story doesn't revolve around the main character getting into danger because shes made incredibly idiotic decisions on the 1st place. I really enjoyed everything about this book to be honest. And well don't for not just going with the typical clichéd main character that we've already seen a million times!!! A really nice change and a perfect way to spend a few of these cold winter evenings.
Loved this book very fast paced  and  Intriguing. Kept me up all night. I am looking forward to more from this author.  This was my first book by her and it won't be my last. This was a splendid read.
What an interesting set up: an attorney Olivia Sinclair deals with divorces in her job.
Until one day she receives the proof that her own husband is cheating on her. How could she never know?
Of course a big row comes up ending with Richard, the husband, being thrown out of their house.

So far so good but as Richard's girlfriend is murdered Olivia becomes the main suspect.
She knows she didn't kill his mistress but who did? And why would this person blame it on her?

A wild and thrilling ride begins for Olivia to get her life back on track.

I really enjoyed this book as Olivia is such a strong woman and I am delighted that this is only the beginning of a series!

Thanks #NetGalley #HQ, HQ Digital for an ARC of this book
This is the first book I read from this author and I’ve enjoyed it, although it’s not a page turner. the characters are interesting and the plot escalates, with an interesting twists at the end. Overall I’d recommend this book for thriller lovers.
Great book. Highly recommend and will most defiantly read more by this author and suggest to others!
I was taken in by the prologue of this book and couldn't wait to get stuck in, sadly I was left feeling a bit disappointed.

The story seems to rely on too many coincidences to make it work.

The first half of the book felt quite strong but the second half just felt way too coincidental, implausible and unbelievable.

Sadly this justbdidnt do it for me.

Thanks to netgalley and HQ for the ARC.