Cover Image: The Three Locks

The Three Locks

There are three stories interwoven within The Three Locks. A young runaway daughter, an escape artist who spectacularly dies on stage - immolated in a copper cauldron, and a small silver box containing a secret.
This is the 4th Sherlock Holmes adventure by Bonnie MacBird and like the others is fabulous. I thought I'd worked out who the killer was, then was thrown off the scent for a chapter or two, but in the end I was absolutely correct.
Written in the ACD style, I highly recommend these books. 🔍🎻
Heatwave in London. Watson gets a silver ornated box, apparently from his deceased mother, but without the key and Holmes tries to solve the death of escape artist. Finally they find themselves in Cambridge, where the murder of young woman happened.

Sherlockian feeling and atmosphere are perfect, the narrative fluent and Holmes and Watson remain tireless warriors for the wronged.

Intelligent read.

Highly recommend it.
Holmes and Watson are back doing what they do best. This time they will have to solve two deaths one London and one in Cambridge, and pay an unusual price to have a silver box opened.
This is a story that had me gripped from the start. With mystery, intrigue, murder, and an ending that will knock your socks off. The best book in the series so far and one I highly recommend.
Title: The Three Locks.
Author: Bonnie MacBrid.
Publisher: Harper Collins UK.
Pub Date: 1st April 2021.
Genre: Historical Fiction/ Crime.
GoodReads Link:

Thank You to NetGally and Harper Collins UK for allowing me to read this book.

This is the fourth book in Bonnie MacBird's Sherlock Holmes Adventures series. Set in London 1887 during An Indian summer, Dr Watson receives a box that had been given to a person who claimed to be his aunt. The box is lock and seems to be impossible to open. Holmes in the mean time is doing his typical Holmes stuff like secret experiments and learning new skills. Soon clients start arriving with intriguing cases sending Watson and Holmes to two very different cases that seem Perplexing to Watson and the local police but off course it doesn't take Holmes long to see what is going on.

The author uses Victorian Society to show us how men had so much control over the women in the lives, foe example Madam Borelli designs all of her husbands illusions bet he takes all the credit for them and often abuses he for his faults. It is also shown how a young girl is nothing without a man and the lengths one must go to to like their own life.

As a fan of Conan Doyle's famous detective and Victorian London in general, I really enjoyed this book.I thought the touches of how Holmes treat the women in this book refreshing and so like him. The twists and turns of the two cases and the bumbling police make it feel a continuance of Conan Doyle's work.

I highly recommend the series and they can also be read as stand alone's
Such a great read!

I love Sherlock Holmes, he’s definitely one of my favorite book characters of all times, and Bonnie brings him to life quite well!

Magic, disappearances and mystery, all the ingredients of a great Sherlock adventure!

Highly recommend!
It’s a mystery that could come straight out of Sherlock Holmes – which is handy as the main characters are the detective and his friend, Dr Watson. The duo must navigate a series of mysterious deaths – death by drowning of the young daughter of a Cambridge don, death by burning of an escape artist mid-illusion. Holmes and Watson leap between London and Cambridge, interviewing all they can to piece the puzzles together – are the cases linked? And if so, what devilish plot will be uncovered? To add to their puzzlement, Watson needs to open a small, and very special, silver box and needs to find the correct locksmith to help. It’s quite a pacy read, and you feel as though you’re accompanying the two friends on their investigations. Really, really enjoyable.
This book is the story of 3 cases for Sherlock Holmes and Watson.  I absolutely adored this and it brought me back to the feel of  the original Sherlock Holmes novels by Arthur Conan Doyle. The characters are written in a way that is true to their origins without feeling overdone or dated. I found the story to be addicting and couldn't wait to find out ,ore information on each case.. I was worried that with it following 3 cases it might be hard to follow but I was wrong, it had enough going on that I was intrigued and not confused.

I hadn't realised this was book 4 of the series, but that had no impact on me being able to pick this novel up and enjoy. I think that any Holmes fan will love this and I myself cannot wait to pick up the others in this series. I feel this book was the correct length as to appeal to all as its not too long and the pacing is fast without being overwhelming, As a reader you're never ahead of Holmes as he solves the mysteries which makes the reveals even more fun. I applaud Bonnie Macbird as she writes these characters so well you feel like they are real and you get very invested in the new information as it unfolds

I received this book on netgalley for an honest review. Many thanks to netgalley and Harper Collins, Harper Collins Fiction for the arc.
This was an excellent mystery novel.  I quite often  avoid books written in the style of famous literary greats, but this author managed to invoke a real sense of 1890’s London and the story really pulled you in. The characters were expertly written and the 3 interwoven lock themed mysteries were all intriguing and kept me guessing. I will definitely be reading more by this author and although this was not the first book she has written about Holmes & Watson it didn’t impact on my enjoyment of the story. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read a preview copy of this book.
It’s September 1887 and Dr Watson is sweltering in the heat of an Indian Summer. He receives a strange small box his mother entrusted many years ago to a lady who claims she is his aunt. The box is impossible to open. Meanwhile, Holmes is as ever learning new (if not bizarre!) skills which link to the Barelli stage act and later to a consultation concerning, yes, locks! The final lock is Jesus Lock in Cambridge where a doll is found floating in the water belonging to Odelia Wyndham which seems to be a warning of some kind .....

This is the fourth in this really good series which is written so cleverly in the style and spirit of the original Conan Doyle books. The author captures the lead characters perfectly with the long suffering Mrs Hudson putting  up with a great deal! There’s a lot going on in this one with parallel investigations which works really well. I really like the magic show element especially as this was a very popular form of entertainment in Victorian times. Of course, Holmes brings his own marvellously individual and observant eye to the proceedings. The storytelling is lively, colourful and atmospheric, it’s amusing in places especially the repartee between Holmes and Watson. The late Victorian era is depicted extremely well and I like how it includes a couple of female characters who, though very unpleasant, show the beginning of the trend of ‘bold women’ who want freedom and independence from the restraints of society’s expectations. There is quite a plethora of unpleasant, rude, imperious and arrogant characters but they do provide for interesting storytelling.

So, we have locks, magic acts, trickery, illusion, science and one independent woman who has an abundance of ardent suitors, murder and mayhem, a large suspect pool, mistaken identity, set ups and self preservation. The busy and intriguing plot takes us from London to Cambridge where the intrepid and suspicious pair try to sift through the professional and personal jealousies, volatile temperaments and arrogance, cast their beady eyes over macabre warnings to try to solve intriguing puzzles. It leads to some dramatic  and colourful scenes and inevitably given his incisiveness , Holmes succeeds in unlocking all in a surprising conclusion.

Overall, another intriguing and worthy addition to the Bonnie MacBird Holmes and Watson series.

With thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins, Harper Fiction for the arc in return for an honest review.
Bonnie MacBird gives us another delightful entry in her Victorian historical series featuring Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, set in the sweltering London and Cambridge of 1887. There are many who have resurrected the genius detective, but MacBird's remarkable attention to detail, and skilful characterisations of the famous duo and their relationship, makes this series a real favourite. The theme of locks, three locks to be precise, drive this addition. The first lock is a personal affair for the 35 year old Watson, an ex-military doctor, burdened with a traumatic family history that still haunts him, his mother and sister, Rose, both died by drowning when he was young. He receives a mysterious package from an apologetic Aunt Elspeth Carnachan that he has never been aware of, his mother had instructed her to give it to him when he reached 21 years of age.

Watson is furious that Elspeth had forgotten all about it until now, what is even more intriguing is that it has a complex lock that defeats almost all locksmiths. This poses the question as to what could be so important that his mother had taken such unusual levels of protection to ensure the safety and secrecy of the contents? It is going to take the input of Holmes and his extensive knowledge of locksmiths in London for Watson to become acquainted with deeply buried family truths. The strikingly unforgettable Mrs Ilaria Bolleri, comes to Sherlock to get him to uncover the truth of the conflict between her husband, the Italian escape artist, The Great Borelli, and her old beau, a magician and mindreader. A lovelorn Catholic Deacon from Cambridge, Peregrine Buttons, who wants Holmes to find the beautiful missing Odelia Wyndham, a clever if casually cruel woman, with a number of suitors.

The Great Borelli is horrifically burned in front of an audience in a multiple locked bathysphere named The Cauldron of Death, and Odelia is discovered murdered at the Jesus Lock on the River Cam. Could there possibly be a connection between the two events? In these most twisted and complicated of cases involving strong passions, Holmes is determined to see truth and justice served despite the numerous obstacles that stand in his path, ably assisted by the faithful Watson. This is a terrific read, wonderfully entertaining and engaging, that will appeal to the many fans of Conan Doyle's famous detective and all those who love Victorian historical crime fiction. Many thanks to HarperCollins UK for an ARC.
I was given a free copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I have never read an original Sherlock Holmes book, so I can't honestly compare the two - however I have to say this book was excellent.
The story, was compelling and complex, without being over done, or too contrived. The story was intresting, with lots of intresting characters, plots and sub plots. Ms MacBird paints a beautiful vivid picture, with all the style and imagery you would hope to find in a clever Victorian detective story.
A proper "Who Done it". Highly recommend
I am a huge lover of the Sherlock Holmes stories and adore the Arthur Conan Doyle’s originals, and I do love when new Holmes and Watson’s stories are written (when done well). They can either be fantastic or a bit of a flop I find, depending on how well the author portrays the characters and story, and this one was most definitely fantastic. I loved it! This was the perfect example of a new Holmes story done well!

I got into the story straight away, with a mystery from the get go to get your teeth into. It had all the feels of the original stories and I loved how both Sherlock and John were written. I’ll never tire of Sherlocks shenanigans and there were many here! Some so so funny and so true to character. I loved the humour and all the Sherlock-isms in this book.

It was definitely an addicting story and I couldn’t put it down. The interactions between Holmes and Watson were great to read and the development of the story as it unravelled had me intrigued.

There were several cases running alongside each other in this story however I didn’t find them hard to follow or get mixed up or confused at any point, which can easily happen with more than one case on the go! I love how each one concluded and the outcome and deductions Sherlock deduced was as amazing and clever as ever.

I could read a million of these stories. It was a very entertaining book and one that any a Sherlock Holmes fan will enjoy. I definitely did!
#TheThreeLocks #NetGalley
An intelligent mystery.
West End, a renowned Italian escape artist dies spectacularly on stage during a performance – immolated in a gleaming copper cauldron of his wife’s design. In Cambridge, the runaway daughter of a famous don is found drowned, her long blonde hair tangled in the Jesus Lock on the River Cam. And in Baker Street, a mysterious locksmith exacts an unusual price to open a small silver box sent to Watson.From the glow of London’s theatre district to the buzzing Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge where physicists explore the edges of the new science of electricity, Holmes and Watson race between the two cities to solve the murders,
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK Harper Fiction for giving me an advanced copy.