Cover Image: The Stranger in My Bed

The Stranger in My Bed

A slow burn. True thriller it is not, however a fabulous concept which intrigued me, but such a shame as so much more could have been done with this narrative.
I appreciated the short sharp chapters and simplistic writing style, however far too much repetition and endless sentences posed as questions, often as an internal dialogue. It was a predictable read and I had established the correct identity of the culprit half way through.
It was engaging enough to read to the end and I will say the author's note on the back page is very touching. I suppose as much as this plot is a far cry from reality- what was superbly portrayed was a clear picture of what domestic abuse looks like, the acknowledgement of the feelings in the victim and the perpetrator, and a very clear 'leave' message. I really commend the author on this and also being inclusive of domestic violence carried out by women. Many thanks to Karen King, Bookouture and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
I found this to be a decent story. The plot was guessable after a point, but the author does a fair job at writing this story. I personally didn't find it the most riveting thriller, but it was engaging to read it. The author does a great job at building the suspense and the air, so if you like domestic drama with some suspense, then this is for you!

Many thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for this ARC in exchamge for my honest review.
This was a well written book, but not quite what I expected.  I think it is definitely more of a domestic drama with some suspense, than a thriller.  The characters were well developed, which made me able to finish the story, but it didn’t have any of those twisty twists or shocks I crave.  It did have a couple thrills, chills, and a bit of suspense.  I would recommend though, as I believe it was well written and easily read in a sitting type of book.  Will definitely look for more by this author, as I do think she is a great writer. Looking for a domestic drama, with some suspense?  Here’s your book!
The Stranger in my Bed by Karen King
Genre: Psychological thriller, Domestic thriller, Suspense
Published: 23rd November 2020

★★★★★ 5 stars

DESCRIPTION:

‘We have a patient who has been involved in a serious accident. We believe he’s your husband.’

When Freya first met Phil, she thought he was the man of her dreams. He bought her roses every week, booked surprise trips to sun-soaked destinations, and showed her affection like she’d never experienced before. But over time the dream has become a violent nightmare. And now Freya is packing her bags, knowing it’s time she escaped their increasingly broken marriage.

But then Freya gets a visit from the police. Phil’s been in a horrific car crash and – as he comes around – it becomes clear that he remembers nothing since their blissful honeymoon two years before, back when their relationship was perfect. All he wants is to be happily married again.

Freya knows giving him another chance could be dangerous. But now he’s the one who needs her, it’s a chance to turn the tables, and to change the outcome of their relationship once and for all. After all, he will only know what she chooses to tell him…

But what really happened during those two years of marriage? And as they start over again, who is safe? And whose life is in danger?

Fans of The Girl on the Train, Behind Closed Doors and Date Night, who are looking for a dark, gripping psychological suspense novel, will love The Stranger in My Bed.

BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Stranger In My bed' by Karen King.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 23rd November 2020

This is the first book that I have read by this author.

I was originally drawn to this book by its beautiful eye catching cover its intriguing synopsis. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of a prologue and 58 chapters. The chapters are medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in the UK 🇬🇧.

This book is written in third person perspective and the main protagonists are Freya, Phil and Daisy. The benefits of third person perspective with multiple protagonists are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

Wow!!! Well fair play the first thing I must say is congratulations to Karen King for a HUGE success on what I would have never guessed was your first psychological thriller!!! Absolutely fantastic!! I never did work out who had did what and that is quite a feat considering it is quite hard to shock me now thay I have read so many suspense and thrillers yet I never did see that coming!! Anyway on with my review....

As you can tell from the above I loved it!!! This book is very well and smoothly written it just drags you straight into the storyline and keeps you in there under you have finished. A true page turner this book has an absolutely compelling and addictive storyline that kept me guessing throughout. I was continuously questioning who did what and who the victim was. I loved the ending and thought it fitted perfectly. The storyline is, sadly, very realistic and domestic abuse and gas lighting happens daily. I, myself have been in several abusive relationships as have several of my friends and know from first hand experience how easy it is to question yourself if your the one who has done wrong. Karen King has really got it perfect in this book, whether from experience or from research I don't know but either way it was written perfectly. Great descriptions throughout the book really putting the reader in the story and getting a good feel of what is going on.

The characters were very realistic and well rounded and again their personalities reflected the storyline and how they would act, etc perfectly. The narration gave a really good in depth view of Freya and Phil's relationship. It is very thought provoking and makes the reader question what they would do in that situation.

I am looking forward to reading more psychological thrillers by this very talented author. Going from romances to psychological thrillers cannot have been an easy feat but you absolutely smashed it!!

Overall a page turning addictive psychological thriller that will have your heart racing.

Genres covered in this novel include Mystery, Suspense, Thriller, Noir Fiction, Psychological Thriller amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of 'Gone Girl' and anyone looking for an excellent solid read.

295 pages.

This book is £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5/5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheStrangerInMyBed #Bookouture  #KarenKing #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@KarenKing @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

Let’s Get to Know Karen King

Karen King is a multi-published bestselling author of fiction for both adults and children. She has also written several short stories for women’s magazines.

Currently published by Bookouture and Headline. Karen has recently signed a two-book deal with Bookouture to write psychological thrillers. The first one will be out in November, and the second one in 2021. She is also contracted to write three romance novels for Headline, which will be out in 2021 and 2022

Stay up to date with Karen’s work by visiting her website and looking her on this social media accounts.

BUY YOUR COPY HERE :

Amazon: https://geni.us/B08GKRRPWHSocial

Apple: http://ow.ly/u5Po50B8dyr

Kobo: http://ow.ly/RvQb50B8dwv

Google: http://ow.ly/1IPa50B8lnh
I found this book impossible to put down. It’s tense and gripping and the plot flowed well. Very enjoyable and I look forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author for the chance to review.
The Stranger in My Bed is a simple and enjoyable read with no complicated twists and turns. I’ve read some reviews that complained about the lack of a big twist but I felt that the story was compelling enough without one. However, I do have to admit that it wasn’t very difficult to guess some aspects of the story and that might frustrate some people.

It was easy for me to become engrossed in this psychological thriller. I enjoyed the fact that it left me wondering which of the characters are actually telling the truth. I’m a sucker for an unreliable narrator. The narration jumps between Freya and Phil meaning the reader gets a good insight into both personalities.

I liked Freya as a character. Phil was more complicated for me depending on what point of the plot I was at. Sometimes he could be nothing more than a dangerous man, while at other times I felt I was being manipulated into thinking he was all bad. I appreciated how the author was able to make me continually change my mind regarding the outcome of the story, despite me knowing that this was a toxic relationship regardless.

I flew through The Stranger in My Bed and it is a book I would recommend to others. For myself, I need to discover what else Karen King has to offer.
This is an entertaining, easy read with lots of twists and turns. Recommended for someone looking for a quick holiday novel
Freya and Phil have been married two years. What started as a fairy-tale marriage has turned into something quite different. Phil definitely needs anger management .... he has emotionally and physically abused Freya. And she has done the last thing she'd ever thought she would ... her bags are packed and in the car.

She's interrupted when police show at her door. Seems like Phil's been involved in a terrible auto accident and is in a coma in the hospital. She stays by his side until he wakes from his coma ... he remembers nothing after the honeymoon.

What really happened during those two years of marriage? Who's lying .. who's telling the truth? Who's safe ... and who isn't? And who is leaving Phil threatening notes?

This is a well written look at domestic abuse and the challenges of making the right decisions at the right time. I have to confess ... I did not like Phil one iota. I felt sympathy for Freya who's torn between trying to save her marriage and running like crazy and getting away as fast as she can. Twists and turns make this a real page-turner. Suspense starts on the very first page and only increases until the unexpected, surprising conclusion.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Karen King for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very quick read and I enjoyed reading this book, I felt like it was gripping enough and kept me engaged in the story. I think it would have been a nice thing to add a trigger warning at the start since the book contains domestic abuse.
The story is told in the third person but from various angles including Freya, Phil, her sister Daisy and a mystery person in the first person. It doesn't get confusing at all.
Even though I enjoyed the book, I felt like something was missing. It didn't WOW me..  It wasn’t the worst thriller, but definitely not the best either.
This book has all of the hallmarks of a good psych thriller.
Opening scene that grabs the reader? Check.
Cool plot point that sets the scene and tone? Check.
Unreliable narrators who throw the reader off balance? Check.
Chapters with a mystery character who could be anybody? Check.
And don’t forget a few red herrings thrown in the mix.
I was never quite sure where this one was going. There were definitely times where I thought the author was throwing a curve ball (sometimes I was right, sometimes I was wrong).
I liked how the plot unfolded and thought the conceit (Phil losing his memory of two years) worked well for being able to question what was real and what wasn’t. I also thought the character relationships were realistic.
I thought the author did a decent job of creating doubt as to whose story was more accurate. There were a few times that I found myself doubting Freya because there was just enough uncertainty in her perspective to make Phil’s concerns legitimate.
As the truth starts to come out, however, it becomes apparent as to why those doubts are given any attention at all. I don’t want to give away a major plot point (you can find those spoilers elsewhere).
But I do think that once the reality of the entire situation comes to light, there are a few lapses in logic that were hard to overlook.
Without giving too much information, I found it difficult to believe that Freya would even consider giving Phil another chance. I mean, those memories she had were real regardless of whatever else happened.
In that regard, Freya’s characteristic was the most real because she was the stereotypical person in that situation, always making excuses, thinking that the next time will be different.
Again, don’t want to say more – but as you can see from other reviews, there may be some triggering events in this story.
I thought that the author handled it well, but it made me question how strong Freya really was.
Ultimately, I did get that answer. I also guessed a few other “twists” but they were still good. I would recommend this book. I understand this is the author’s first psych thriller and I think it’s a good start. I hope to see more.
A great read with many twists and turns. The characters were well crafted and believable and I felt a great affinity with Freya. A definite thumbs-up from me.
Thank you Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to give my unbiased opinion. Also, thank you to Karen King.
Firstly a big thank you to Bookouture for my copy to review on netgalley. I dont think ive actually disliked a book of theirs ive read.

I raced through this heart pounding, nerve wracking and addictive read. Who is telling the truth? And who was leaving who on that eventual night?

Written in alternate narratives this keeps the readers attention and the plot fresh and fast.

Unpredictable and a twisty thriller.

I have been in Freyas shoes so i resonated a lot with her storyline. Karen has written around this subject sensitivity and brilliantly.

A fantastic book and i cant wait to read more from her.

Published 20th November
Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Karen King for this arc in exchange for an honest review.

To me this book was more of a domestic drama than a psychological thriller. It didn't really quite have the "edge of your seat" jumpy factor, but it still managed to be gripping and full of suspense.

It's hard to say too much about the story without giving anything away, as the plot is quite tightly knit.

I found this story easy to read, easy to follow, not too taxing but enjoyable.
Great read! Really enjoyed this one. I’ll definitely be looking out for other books by this author. I did however find it a bit slow at the beginning but I’m glad it picked up and started to get more twisty.
TRIGGER WARNING: this book contains domestic abuse
Freya and her husband Phil have a blazing row and he storms out of the house. Minutes later, he crashes his car and when he wakes from the coma he has lost all memory of the last two years and their whole turbulent marriage. Freya hopes he has changed but his behaviour becomes increasingly worrying. Meanwhile the couple discover that someone tampered with the brakes but which one of them was the intended victim...?
The Stranger In My Bed had me gripped the whole way through. We witness the argument between Phil and Freya and over the course of the book see other incidents that chart the disintegration of the whirlwind romance that brought them together in the first place.
The narrative is told in the third person but from various angles including Freya, Phil, her sister Daisy and a mystery person in the first person. This allows us to see their perspectives on events and the actions of the other characters.
Karen King has done a spectacular job of dealing with the intricacies of domestic abuse. The negotiations and compromises that need to take place for a successful relationship are missing from Phil and Freya's marriage. Both stand up for themselves and this leads to conflict.
Freya is desperately hoping that Phil has changed as a result of the accident and they have a chance at a fresh start. Phil does not recognise the person that Freya alludes to and when she challenges him he fears that she may have been the abuser.
The Stranger In My Bed is a fantastic psychological thriller. There were plenty of twists in the plot that had me reading even more voraciously. I thought the conclusion was excellent and the final page did make me gasp a little...
I really enjoyed the premise of the book and I understand how the author wrote it to try to create a sense of suspense and dread, however, I did not like the execution.

We are meant to believe that Freya is the beaten wife about to leave her husband before he gets in an accident erasing his memory and leaving him back to when the first fell in love and things are good between them. I never got the master manipulator or the feel of Freya being in a toxic relationship. It’s like the author googled “toxic relationship” and just used what google said the signs were. It felt forced and insincere.

The book was a super predictable, a really quick read with short chapters.
Thanks so much for the opportunity to read this book Netgalley  It was extremely well written & had credible & strong characters.  The twists & turns are really good in this excellent thriller.
A very well written domestic thriller. The storyline is good and the characters very believable. A few twists along the way to keep you guessing .
A controlling husband is put in the hospital after someone tampers with the brakes on his car. Who wants him dead? As he gains consciousness, everyone soon realizes he last lost memory of the last two years of his life. He cannot remember anything about his marriage or what the marriage was like. As you get further into the story, you discover what a jerk he truly is and why he has made several enemies. What I really liked was I was not able to completely figure out the whole ending on my own. Who doesn't like a surprise? Thank you NetGalley, this was a very intriguing read for thriller/suspense readers like me.
The stranger in my bed is told from multiple point of views. Freya married Phil after 6 months they know each other. After 2 years, Freya decided to leave her abusive and manipulative husband but suddenly he got into a car accident. She can't leave him when he got amnesia and kinda fragile so she decided to give him a second chance tskkk

I like the ending. Serve him right duh but goshh I hate Freya's sister!! How can she backstabbed her own sister? Like wtf ?? Ohhh I don't like her mother too!! Seems like she don't even care bout her own daughter goshh

Thank you Netgalley, publisher and author for this ARC!

🌟🌟🌟.5