Cover Image: FIZZ

FIZZ

What a lovely book! It certainly lives up to its name Fizz. It's brimming with ideas for drinks you can make at home. Kombucha and kefir are on many people's lips, but have you ever thought of making them yourself? The authors guide you through simple steps to create these tasty drinks and others too including ginger beer and mead and kvass which is made from bread!. There's a section on cocktails too - using the drinks you've made of course!
I received this book free from NetGalley for an honest review.

I love soda and all things fizzy and I know I can't keep that habit up. I wanted to check out a basic intro guide to making a different drink and this is the book!

Great tips and hints. Easy to follow recipes. Awesome drawings. This is a great starter guide for anyone wanting to get into making their own fermented drinks.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A fun and informative book on a variety of carbonated beverages. I thought I was doing pretty well knowing about kombucha, but this introduced me to a number of drinks I've never heard of. I'm eager to try water kefir, which sounds like the kind of drink I'd like. I also appreciated that there was enough background information given that you could understand the process but not so much that it felt overwhelming.

I would have appreciated some photos that show some of the natural variation among drinks, as it's hard to tell from the photos whether you're doing it "right". A troubleshooting section would also be useful.
Wow what a gorgeously illustrated book. As someone who loves experimenting and making drinks, I have yet to venture into the realm of fermenting at home because it seems incredibly intimidating. The book makes fermenting seem less daunting with its colorful illustrations, simple step by step instructions and elaborates on the chemical and scientific processes that occur. I'm eyeing the DIY kombucha kit my friend gifted me now.

The simple and straightforward writing is great for beginners though more experienced brewers may want to look elsewhere.
This book is filled with easy and straightforward recipes! I loved all the background of each type of drink and all of the provided variations. This book makes it seem very easy to create your own fermented drinks at home!
Fizz is all about fermented drinks, and the health benefits that they have.  There are detailed directions on each drink, and they are easy to follow.  The author makes them sound easy to try, delicious.  I want to try the ginger beer.  I need to get a few supplies before I can such as ginger and glass bottles, but I think this will definitely be on my list of things to do for this year.  If it turns out, it may even make its way into our Christmas gift giving this year with cute crocheted bottle wraps.
This is a colorful, fun, easy to use guide to making fermented nonalcoholic drinks like kefir, kombucha and kvass. There are brightly colored illustrations throughout but no photos. The text is large and easy to read, and the directions are very simple. It covers about a dozen fermented drinks and also includes a section of cocktails using fermented drinks at the end.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for review.
I received a free e-copy of Fizz from NetGalley but, I will be purchasing this book in the near future because I want to keep it forever!

This is a beautifully illustrated guide to making different fermented drinks, including kombucha, ginger beer, and mead! The instructions seem very easy to follow the processes are well explained.

I can tell that this was written with a real passion and knowledge of the subject. It's a really well-done novice guide to fermenting your own drinks.
I just stumbled upon this book today and took it out through NetGalley. I haven't tried any of the recipes but I spent the morning looking through it an was rather impressed. I've made pineapple tepache in the past (both successfully and not) and am uncapable of keeping a sourdough starter alive. That said I love store-bought kombucha and this book makes we want to try all the fermented drinks. I'm going to wait for the weather to warm up and then I want to jump into this book and luxuriate in the tastes.
Fizz is the perfect book for someone who wants to learn more about and start making fermented non-alcoholic drinks. Starting from Kombucha and even exploring less obvious drinks, like non-alcoholic mead, it tells you about a wide array of drinks.

This isn't just a recipe book. What I liked most was the clear explanations of not only how, but why things worked. The science behind the processes are explained in accessible ways, requiring only a basic understanding of science. On top of that, it gives you some information about the history and cultural background of each drink.
Ever opened a book on fermentation and closed it just as fast because there was nothing in there you actually wanted to ingest?  And it looked as though you'd require a laboratory and warehouse for production?  I have, but not with FIZZ.  FIZZ is a book that gets to the point and shows you how to make a variety of beverages that you'd enjoy consuming, and that your children might even enjoy consuming, to the betterment of your health.  The techniques really are simple, the ingredients obtainable.  It's not complicated!  And you can save a fortune making these trendy fermented beverages yourself rather than getting then from a high end grocery store.

I received a free review copy of this book in exchange for my independent opinion.
I read this book very soon after reading "Ferment" by Holly Davis, and could not help but compare the two. "Fizz" is written in a much more casual style, with far fewer technical details. It's focus is eight probiotic drinks, and includes two not mentioned in "Ferment". Specifically bread kvass and tepache. "Ferment", in contrast, has a much broader scope. It includes fermenting techniques for everything from sourdough bread to pickles and includes drinks not in "Fizz".

Both books were clear and understandable, however if you are interested in more of the  technical details I would choose "Ferment".  It certainly wouldn't hurt to read both.
I loved the artistic and colorful design of this book but wound up uninterested in the content. I should have read the description more closely before requested this book because I am not a fan of Kombucha and thought that this would be more about diy soda. This book is perfect for fans of healthy alternatives to bubbly beverages! The colorful and hand-drawn quality of the images throughout are engaging and eye catching. Each recipe is written with ample detail and should be fairly easy enough to follow. There is also loads of information at the beginning about the health benefits and the basics of fermentation. While this was not a book for me, it will be a gem for someone of that I am sure!
Solid recipes for the beginner home brewer. I do wish there were more suggestions for how to adjust and customize a given staple recipe. The recipes add given are all definitely on the safe side for how to assess success and in encouraging experimentation.
I read this book cover to cover in one sitting. I got it as a digital ARC but it is something I will definitely be purchasing; hopefully for my birthday next month.

What enchanted me first were the illustrations. Instead of using photography, there are lovely culinary illustrations throughout. It makes me nostalgic and happy in the way some of my favourite old cookbooks do, but in color! This is definitely a book that aims to become an heirloom.

The text is simple, accessible, and interesting. Many fermentation books I’ve encountered take an opposite approach, diving deep into the technical details for those of us who like to feel out on the science. If you’re well-versed in the world of ferments, not much here will be new, but it is the perfect inspiring and encouraging volume to hand to someone wanting to explore this world for the first time. Every project on this book has thorough but approachable instructions and ingredients, and the chipper but reverent attitude of the text makes me feel not only excited and capable of participating, but like I’m joining a long line of humble makers experimenting with the earth in their kitchens.

Honestly, even if you’re not planning to make anything, this book is a fun read to understand some culinary and cultural history and get yourself to loosen up about healthy bacteria and the idea of keeping food at room temperature.

It is almost entirely free of alcohol references (last couple pages include cocktail ideas using these non-alcoholic beverages) and accessible enough that you could give it to an older child. The images that my mind conjured up while reading of bubbling mixtures in jars all over the counters brought satisfaction and delight to my inner 6-year old who liked to mix shampoos and bath shoals into fizzy “experiments.” If only someone had taught me I could make things that were not only fun and bubbly, but healthy and delicious!
I loved this book! From the cover to the font chosen, I was hooked on the first page. I have loved fermented drinks  for a long time myself, and reading about someone else's journey from making their own scoby to teaching their friends about their love of the bubbly stuff was heart warming. I loved that the author started the book with the basics on fermentation for readers who might not already know the benefits. Not to mention, the illustrations are gorgeous! I would recommend this book to any beginner fermenter.
Really enjoyed this book. Fermentation is such a trend at the moment, that googling kombucha or fermentation can send you down a real google-rabbit-hole. It's a joy to find a book that narrows down the subject to recipes that can easily be tried at home and in a professional kitchen, and enable to reader to start a new hobby straight away. As someone interested in low-alcohol options, and also someone who loves to drink (due to the flavours of fermented products) this book is one I feel I have been looking for. The range of fermented drinks are well chosen, and their cultural origins are fascinating. The illustrations are both quirky and informative and invite experimentation. I think this is an excellent book. There are plenty of writers able to delve into the complex, scientific side of fermentation, but few that make it so appealing and accessible (although the writer does include explanation where it is interesting and aids understanding). There is a simplicity to the writing that may frustrate someone more knowledgeable in the subject, and the heath benefits of fermented products are perhaps overstated. However, this is a hugely rich and valuable book due to the quality of the recipes and it is clear the author is a professional in this field.
This book does what is says on the tin: A good beginners guide to the art of fermented drinks, with clear instructions and simple recipes for easy-to-make drinks at home.  Illustrations are direct and helpful but are not the most engaging, with a somewhat amateurish look.

The book is aimed at beginners so is unlikely to appeal to those already well versed in the art of fermentation.  Barbara Serulus is a food writer, not a nutritionist, so the explanations  on the science and technology of fermentation are relatively scant, offering simple 'bite-size nuggets'.  Jars are described as needing to be 'clean' rather than 'sterilised'.  Readers are advised to 'rinse them with a mixture of water and vinegar' rather than heating them in a hot oven as would be instructed in more advanced fermentation books. Likewise the history, health and preservation benefits of fermented drinks are passed over somewhat superficially.

It is a shame fruit shrubs have not been included in what is otherwise an excellent book for beginners.
I've been on the fizzy/fermented beverage train for over a decade now and I just can't get enough. As the popularity of kefir, kombucha, and all the other delicious fermented beverages (and their lovely probiotic lovelies) grow, it's no wonder that more and more people are looking at the benefits of homebrewing as it were.

FIZZ is a collection of some fairly basic recipes and instructions to make kombucha, kefir (water and milk-based), ginger beer, kvass, mead, and tepache of your very own at home. While some recipes require some specialized ingredients (SCOBY's and kefir seeds) others can be accomplished with using wild yeasts that exist in your very own home.  Now, while the book contains fairly basic recipes, which is awesome and totally cool to know how easy it is to make these drinks at home, the author gives a bunch of options to snazz up your brews.

I've been brewing my own kombucha for about a year now and I love it but after a trip to New Orleans and having a local Ginger Beer brew I've been obsessed with making my own at home. I'm gluten-free so I have a hard time getting confirmation about ingredients in ginger beer. The idea of making my very own is super exciting to me and totally worth the cost of the book (in my humble opinion). I'm so excited to try some of the recipes in the book!

I would absolutely recommend this book for those that like to cook and are as equally ensnared by the yummy fermented/probiotic drink craze as me. Seriously, I can't wait. My very own homebrewed ginger beer and kefir! Yum!

*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*
This book is very informative and detailed. I liked the colorful illustrations, as they add a little pop to each page.