Cover Image: Win

Win

We follow the story of Win Lockwood – He is a billionaire from old money. He has been asked to come to a crime scene where a someone has been found murdered, police have found something that belongs to his family - a painting stolen years ago. Win sets out to discover why this man had the artwork and finds other interesting things about the family. I don’t want to give away too much of the story.

This is my first Harlan Coben book. I will be honest I did struggle a little with this book, I listened to it as an audio book while I was working from home. The book had scandals and twists and turns. It did keep me intrigued to get to the end of the story.

Thank you Random House UK, Cornerstone and Netgalley for the copy for an honest book review.
This is a great thriller with superb twists, an elegant narrative and great structure.

I couldn't warm to the central protagonist, he's cold and he's meant to be that way. Some may enjoy this sociopath treatment, others won't. But don't let that get in the way, if you're plot motivated rather than character empathetic you'll really enjoy the novel.
This book really wasn’t me even though I continued reading until the end. It was exciting and thrilling with a convoluted plot and interesting twists. I read it because I wanted to find out what happened- but I didn’t feel involved or invested with any of the characters. There was too much bravado and machismo and too little empathy. I’m sure it’s a great book for fans of Harlan Coben.
Niles Crane as a loveable psychopath. I like Coben when he's letting his sense of humour show, and that was evident here, along with a great plot.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Harlan never disappoints he's such a fabulous author. Thus book was no exception. Well written. Suspenseful, great characters. Recommended.
This book started quite well, but I felt like I got a bit lost towards the end. From reading other reviews, I seem to be in the minority though.
I read this book as a standalone, not realising that the main character is from another series, and I think without the background of the character,  I lost some perhaps useful information.
I would still go back and read the series, then perhaps this standalone,  and see if that helped.
If you've been missing Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar, 'Win' will make up for the loss. Windsor Horne Lockwood III, known to his best friend Myron as Win takes centre stage.

Win turns vigilante after authorities contact him in connection with the recovery of his family's missing Vermeer, and a suitcase with his initials at a murder scene. Twenty years previously, his cousin Patricia was kidnapped, his uncle murdered and two paintings were stolen.

He's narcissistic, cold and exceedingly privleged due to old family millions.  Win has always employed dubious methods to get what he wants and will go to great lengths to do so. Some have dubbed Win a sociopath, known for posessing no emotions nor conenctions with people, except with his more earnest and ethical best Myron, who sadly doesn't appear.

This book we see him slowly come undone as he comes to grips with learning he's the father of a teenage daughter (which we learn about in the last Myron installment). What are those flutters in his chest he's feeling?!

While Myron is missed, its interesting being inside Win's head. He's all the things said about him, but watching him deal with fatherhood is fascinating. As always, Coben has snappy dialogue and employs his trademark humour in his writing. What I always love about Harlan Coben is how he can move along the action in a couple of paragraphs vs chapters of guff.

As unlikeable as he is, I hope we get more Win, though I'm also keen to see Myron return.

Thank you Cornerstone/Random House UK, and Netgalley.
I did struggle to enjoy this book as it was so completely different to other Harlan Coben books that I have read.
I will continue reading books by Harlan but  not this story line.

I was given a copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.
I was always told by my English teachers that if you are writing something then it has to grab the reader in the first few lines.  This definitely didn’t so I knew instantly that I wouldn’t like this book.  Wasn’t grabbed or intrigued but bored and had it been a library book would have returned it instantly.  Instead carried on for as long as possible before giving up on it.  Sorry but this is definitely not for me but doubtless the author’s fans will devour it with relish!  Shame as it sounded promising.
Having read all of the Myron vomit at series I jumped at the chance to read this. Win has been such a big character in his books and this book gives the reader insight into the life of win. If reading as a stand-alone he may come across as self righteous as he is so wealthy and spends that money well but to know him as a loyal, committed friend from the other books it was justified. Such a great book where win investigates a murder which then unearths his family heirloom. Would love more in the adventures of win! 5 stars great book
Win Lockwood is a billionaire from old money.
The FBI come to his office to question him about a murder but take him to a penthouse apartment where a body, a Vermeer painting and an old suitcase of his await him. The painting was stolen many years before during which is uncle was murdered and his cousin Patricia kidnapped and raped before escaping.
Win is not a likeable protagonist, he has scant regard for most people and has a penchant for violence. He is quite funny at times and knows it - allowing the reader a chuckle even in difficult situations.
Win sets out to discover what happened.
He has one (and only real) friend Myron which shows a different side of his personality than the rest of the world see.
Entertaining, a bit crazy, violent - something for all Harlan Conan fans.
Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in return for a fair review.
4 Stars ⭐️
I couldn't decide if I liked Win or not. Other than that, there were enough twist and turns to keep me interested and entertained. Good start to this new series.
This is the first book I have read of Harlem’s but thought I’d give it a go as I loved the Netflix series based on his other books. I have also never read a book with a male main character as my thrillers are usually family based ones. If I was to read about a man like Win in the press I would automatically hate hime, someone from money thinking they have the right to sort out things through violence but in reading the story to the end money definitely does not bring you happiness. This book was a page turner unsure about where the story was going next. Lots of twists and turns and slowly peeling the layers back on Win. Can’t wait to see what he gets up to next.
This book was amazing, I literally - I can't I'm in love. This book was about our favourite sociopath Windsor Horne Lockwood III, not Myron so we get to see his POV on different things. Win is suspected in murder so naturally he tries to solve it. Obviously you think you know who's the killer, but you don't. The mystery in this book was chef's kiss and everything was ✨perfection✨. Also Ema was amazing. The best Harlan Coben book. Just go and read it y'all. ♾️/5⭐

Thank you NetGalley for providing digital advanced copy in exchange for honest review.
I now eagerly await any book by Harlan Coben so was so eager to pick up this book. I was not disappointed what I got was a story filled with action, drama and a pinch of romance. I loved Win he was such a brilliant character. One who made it so very entertaining to tag along with as he does his thing.

The plot moved at a great pace and kept me invested throughout. With plenty of twists and surprises to keep things very interesting! I loved getting to know Win and experience his life with a dash of sarcasm and wit!

Win is a book that is engaging and  twisty. I cannot wait for the next book!
I usually love Harlan Coben but I wasn’t as enamoured with this book.  Don’t get me wrong, there were a lot of twists and turns - scandals and intricate details - but I felt the story lacked depth and emotion.  This could be entirely due to the portrayal of Win’s character and him being, admittedly, devoid of emotion himself.

Nonetheless, it was enjoyable to read and kept me intrigued as to what was going to happen next.  The characters were believable and the storyline somewhat far-fetched but it would have been good to explore some of the real personal relationships that Win has.  Maybe next time…
Harlan Conan never disappoints. His ability to mix a complex and riveting plot with engaging characters and spot on humour is unmatched.
#Win #NetGalley Harlan Coben is definitely a very talented writer. The plot draws you in and the book is very well written with lots of action and twists and turns.  The characters are well developed and even though the main character in this book - Win - is obnoxiously rich and violent, I still warmed to him and would love him on my side!! My only slight criticism - and it didn't really spoil my enjoyment of the book, is that the chapters are not well defined and seem quite long. I prefer shorter chapters as strangely it makes me read more!! Nevertheless, an excellent read and I hope there is more to come from Win!
Harlan Coben does it again, is there any better author? I think he's my absolute favourite and, luckily for me, Win is my most favourite character so how could I refuse to read his very own first book?

As always, it doesn't disappoint. Win is such a strong character that we have seen throughout the Myron Bolitar series and now he has his own story, which is predictably brilliant! Win is so well developed as a character that he could be my real-life friend, in fact, I think I might be a little in love with him and no less so in this book. He isn't your usual loveable character but he loves his friends hard and has a good heart.

in this we meet more of Win's family and learn more of his past, we see him delve into another underground investigation, which he obviously solves in the end. not your usual type of mystery this is a really well thought out and developed plot in which he also manages to solve the mysterious abduction of his cousin, Patricia over twenty years ago.

Awesome characters, Brilliant plot, a quick and involved read that will have you turning the pages well past bedtime, I would recommend it to everyone because we all need a Win in our lives. I can't wait for the next one!
Harlan Coben is one of my absolute favourite authors! When he writes a book...I will buy it and read it. His writing is absolutely masterful! I was absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to review WIN.

WIN is rich, and he absolutely LOVES to tell us this, at every opportunity in the book! You've got to love an obnoxiously rich protagonist.

20 years ago, WIN's cousin was kidnapped during a robbery. She was held captive for a while, but was returned to her family after a while. 20yrs later, a man turns up dead, and in his apartment are some of the items that were stolen in the robbery 20yrs ago. These crimes seem somehow related, and WIN is determined to get to the bottom of it. WIN seeks justice, at any cost....and he has a bit of a vigilante streak that I love. Is he the most endearing person you'll ever 'meet'? Probably not, but I promise you, he won't care.

I can never fault Harlan's writing...all his books are always a page turner. This one was filled with secrets, lies, thrills and suspense! Everything we have come to associate with Harlan.