Cover Image: A Wedding in the Country

A Wedding in the Country

I always love reading a Katie Fforde book, you know where you are with them. They will be well written, have great characters (who you will mostly love), great descriptions of places and houses, and have a nicely rounded ending. This book had all of that, but interestingly was set in the 1960s  which made it  a bit different. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and can’t wait for the next one.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I always look forward to and enjoy Katie’s books. This one is set in the 60’s and starts in a London that’s beginning to swing. Having been there and done that, I appreciate how well the period is captured when the way of life was so different and there were more ‘rules’ in play. Lizzie gets a new sharp hair cut and new clothes but still feels guilty. All the characters are very well drawn and it is easy to fall back into that period and empathize  with them all. Life seemed kinder then and Katie is adept at bringing that out. A charming, feel good book for the times we are living through now.
This has trademarks of Katie Fforde written all over it. You can instantly tell it’s her writing style, I find it so distinctive and enjoy indulging in something so familiar. As always an excellent plot, I don’t want to give spoilers but this is one not to be missed. Brilliant
I really enjoy Katie Fforde's books and this one was a good read.  Set in the 1960s where young women who want to make something of themselves are sent on cookery courses in London to learn how to be a good wife.  Lizzie is sent by her parents who want her to have the perfect wedding to the perfect man!  She meets Alexandra, a kooky heiress with her own property, Meg, whose mother is a live in cook and Meg has always loved cooking, and Vanessa, daughter of nobility who appears quite aloof but isn't really!
Lizzie and Meg move in with Alex and her friend David and have an enjoyable time!  Lizzie meets Hugh, Vanessa's brother and there is an attraction there that cannot be acted upon as he is about to become engaged to Electra, a model of standing!
I enjoyed the book but felt it tailed off a bit at the end.  Still worth reading though.
Another great read from Katie Fforde. The story was not really what I was expecting and at first I did wonder if I would enjoy reading it, but within a few pages I became engrossed and couldn’t put it down. This was a tale of a range of quirky characters in the 1960s, all of whom were real personalities. As the story unfolded it was easy to visualise living in that time, different as it is from the current one. Everything was built round a lovely slow burning romance between the main character and her beau, entwined with the back stories of her friends.  Most enjoyable.
Warning - this book is set in the 1960s.

Lizzie is a sheltered Home Counties middle-class girl who comes to London in 1963 to attend Cookery School in her mother's fervent hopes that she then be able to catch Mr Right (eg a man in a well-paid job). If you have ever seen the start of the film Thoroughly Modern Millie, the start of this book is very similar as Lizzie gets a radical new asymmetric hair cut and dolly bird clothes (strange that Lizzie thinks that being a Dolly Bird is glamorous!). At first Lizzie is living with her aunt Gina in up-market Chelsea but when that falls through she ends up sharing a dilapidated house in Belgravia with two of her class mates, a small dog and an actor.

See the swinging sixties through the eyes of a young woman as she leaves home for the first time. Can she forge a life for herself in London, gasp and get a job, or will her mother get her engaged and married off in no time?

Setting this book in the 1960s works well for Katie Fforde's brand of heroine, because they are always artistic (Lizzie is a genius with a sewing machine and she has a talent for arranging flowers), and slightly innocent, ie married at a young age or only ever had one serious boyfriend, ill-at-ease with men, and this works well in the context of a sheltered girl from the Home Counties being introduced to wicked London. There are dinner parties and country house parties and beatniks and aristocratic gels just doing the Season don't you know!

This was lovely, just what I expect from Kate Fforde and I practically read it in one sitting. Two minor niggles. One is a bit spoilery (view spoiler) and the other is that I'm not sure the title is right. Otherwise, sublime.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Another wonderful book from Katie Fforde.  I particularly enjoyed this book and was sorry when it finished as I'd escaped into it so perfectly with the wonderful characters.  The book is set in London in 1963, at first I thought it was going to jump about timeline wise but it stayed in in the early sixties which was an absolute delight and a refreshing change from the hectic modern world.  There was a great deal of old world charm about it with some of the characters who were so much of that time that it was quite humourous in places.  Definitely an heartwarming romance but with a difference and  just enjoyable to read.
I have always loved books by this author and this was just as good. It was a light hearted story and sweet romance between the characters.
This is the second Katie Fforde novel I’ve had the pleasure of reading and as per usual I just couldn’t put it down. An enjoyable novel from the outset and I was actually a little sad once I had finished it. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Another delightful story by Katie Fforde. Fascinating characters and a lovely storyline with a great conclusion. What more could you ask for?
Date reviewed/posted: November 25, 2020
Publication date: February 18, 2021

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us,  superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Romance, friendship, joy and the possibility of happy endings: the heartwarming new novel by number one bestseller, Katie Fforde.

Lizzie has just arrived in London, determined to make the best of her new life.  Her mother may be keen that she should have a nice wedding in the country to a Suitable Man chosen by her. And Lizzie may be going to a cookery school to help her become a Good Wife.

But she definitely wants to have some fun first.

It is 1963 and London is beginning to swing as Lizzie cuts her hair, buys a new dress with a fashionably short hemline, and moves in with two of her best friends, one of whom lives in a grand but rundown house in Belgravia which has plenty of room for a lodger.

Soon Lizzie’s life is so exciting that she has forgotten all about her mother’s marriage plans for her. All she can think about is that the young man she is falling in love with appears to be engaged to someone else ...

The first thing that came to mind when I saw "wedding in the country" was the opening of "Four Weddings and a Funeral"! And the 60s is now historical fiction? NOW I FEEL OLD! Like all of Miss Fforde's books, this one delights the reader with wonderful characters and an enticing storyline.  It is a lovely book that will delight library patrons and friends alike - recommend it to them!

But....this book needed to come out a week earlier so it could be gifted for Valentine's Day!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁
I always enjoy Katie Fforde books, she is very clever in weaving a story you can’t put down. We follow Lizzie as she breaks away from her controlling parents and moves in with friends in London. On the cookery course her mother has sent her on she meets Alexandra snd Meg, two people who become an important part of her life.

Lizzie blossoms in London, cutting her hair, making herself fashionable clothes and gaining confidence in who she is.

I enjoyed this book from the first to the last page with brilliant characters and a story that held my attention.
Kate Fforde is the ideal author to read when you feel down or when you want to read something light, romantic and funny; "A Wedding in the Country" is no exception to that rule. The characters are relatable and fully fleshed out, they feel warm and dear to the reader, whilst the plot itself is heart-warming, with an atmosphere that makes for a perfect escapist read.