Cover Image: The Law of Innocence

The Law of Innocence

I have read all of M.C’s books over the years and always look forward to them. Well written, excellent detail and familiar, engaging characters. This one has Haller AND Bosch which is a bonus. As a legal, courtroom thriller it is brilliant. As usual the story carried me reading (too quickly!) to the end but I did have some doubts about aspects of the plot. However it certainly didn’t stop me enjoying it - and how clever to include the pandemic. He really is the master of the crime thriller and I hope there are many more to come.
Michael Connelly, along with his creations, Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch, have long been favourites of mine. This book is no exception. But this time Mickeys client is himself. Framed for murder, it seems as if the Prosecution have a slam dunk case. But Mickey knows he’s been framed, and has to prove it, even when it’s from a prison cell.

As I would expect from this author, this is very well written, draws the reader in from the first page, and continues at break neck pace. It has everything you want in a book, likeable main characters, mean spirited Prosecutors, an even handed judge and plenty of clear villains dotted throughout. A thoroughly enjoyable read and I wished I hadn’t read it quite so quickly but well worth it. I highly recommend it.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
It had been a long wait for another Michael Connelly, but as they say, good things come to those who wait and that is certainly true with The Law Of Innocence.
This is Connelly at his best, a courtroom drama to keep you turning the pages, whilst not wanting that final page to come.
If you have read Connelly you will know what to expect, if you haven’t, then it will make you want to read more.
Unfortunately I am unable to give it more than five stars.
Needless to say it is recommended.
Mickey Haller is back in The Law of Innocence accused of murder. Mickey decides to defend himself, he is held in prison denied bail so calls in favours from ex wives, employees and of course his brother Harry Bosch. It soon becomes  clear that Mickey is being framed and he is galvanised to prove his innocence. As Mickey says "The only way to prove I didn't do it, is to prove who did. That's the law of innocence." The book moves through the investigative phase into the courtroom and moves along at a cracking pace.Michael Connolly is a master of his craft. Spoiler alert ***** for me the ending was not his best but I thoroughly enjoyed The Law of Innocence and couldn't read it fast enough!
Thanks to Netgalley for this copy in return for this review.
I love Connelly's Bosch books but I'm a little behind with those featuring Bosch's half brother, lawyer Mickey Haller, so it's been brilliant catching up with him. And what a book to pick to do that as Haller has the fight of his life on his hands. And it was easy to jump back in as The Law of Innocence can easily be read as a standalone.

On the way back from celebrating a court win Mickey Haller is pulled over by a cop for a seemingly routine traffic stop until a dead body is found in his car boot. Mickey is charged with murder and remanded to jail whilst the State builds its case. And of course, Haller needs to build his own defence case, with the help of his team including his ex wife Maggie. And he has to do it from jail.

You know what you're getting with a Connelly book. Fully formed, three dimensional characters and a cracking storyline which takes you to the wire. The Law of Innocence is no different, despite being set mainly in prison and the court house. The plot is tight as Haller seeks not only to clear his name but also to identify the real killer. The story, played out mainly in the court, is detailed and well thought out, with plenty of dead ends before reaching its denouement.

I love Haller. It's hard not to see him as Matthew McConnechy, who played him in film of The Lincoln Lawyer, but I'm not sure that's quite how he is. We certainly see him go through it in this book, and we see it through his eyes as it's written in the first person. Mickey's determination is not lessened by prison - after all, his life is on the line. But I loved that we see him falter and fret, see his fragility as well. His team are all fab, but I have a thing especially for investigator Cisco. I reckon he's my mind of man! It was great to see Bosch in the mix too. It w would be fair to say I didn't like Dana Berg - you'll see why when you read it.

I found the courtroom scenes fascinating and loved the wee glimpse of prison life and how grim it was. The storyline took in corporate crime,  corruption, murder and lies. It was totally absorbing and a fab read from beginning to end. Will appeal to Connelly fans and new readers alike.
I've read all the Mickey Haller and Harry Bosch stories, and this is another cracker.  Perfectly formed, the endings never disappoint and the characters are impeccable. In particular, I love that the Bosch we see through Haller's eyes is not the same as he is through his own eyes. We each bring our own filter on people in our lives and these two are no different. Recommended as always.
This is the latest book by the Author set in the world of Harry Bosch but concentrating on his half brother , defence lawyer , Mickey Haller .
Harry finds himself framed for murder - an ex-client, con man Sam Scales , is found dead in the boot of his car . Just who is setting him up and why ?
Harry is now on the other side of the fence , just how can he defend himself whilst incarcerated in jail ?
where he has to pay for protection just to get through the day , especially as the Prosecution seem to have a rock solid case ..
It will take all his wiles along with support from the most surprising people , his ex-wife , his Law Partner , his Law student daughter Hailey and latterly Harry Bosch - he even has an ex-client willing to put up his bail .......... all of whom believe in his innocence .
This is a well thought out court room drama , full of twists and turns - Mickey has to not just prove himself 'not guilty ' but also 'innocent'.

I love this Author he always produces the goods and I cannot wait for his next offering in whichever world he is writing about .

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
I’m a big fan of the Bosch tv show, but realised that I’ve never actually read the books. And it seems that Michael Connelly has written quite a few of them! The Law of Innocence is this sixth in his Mickey Haller Lincoln Lawyer series, and the 34th(!) in his Harry Bosch universe.

Seems like I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

I really enjoyed The Law of Innocence. Defence lawyer Mickey Haller is heading home after a successful case when he’s pulled over by the police in an apparent routine traffic stop. And then they find a body in the trunk of his car. The body of a former client.

Mickey knows he didn’t do it, but the evidence is stacked firmly against him and he’ll have to defend himself from inside prison.

I do love a good courtroom drama, and Connelly clearly knows his stuff inside out and backwards. Haller’s task of defending himself seems insurmountable – a Not Guilty would still leave doubts, and ruin his professional career, so he needs to track down the actual killer, whilst stuck in prison.

Good job he’s got a great team on his side, including Harry Bosch himself. Loved the mix of detective work alongside the courtroom procedural, leaving you wanting to read just one more chapter.

Taut plotting, ingenious story and great characters elevate this above most that I’ve read, and I’ll be digging into the Bosch/Haller back catalogue as soon as I can!
#TheLawofInnocence #NetGalley
I love Michael Connelly Books and this one was no exception.  Fast paced, plenty of action and dialogue, lots of twists and turns keeping me on the edge of my seat.  Centering around the trial of Mickey Haller for murder - with Mickey defending himself.  I love the fact that Harry Bosch was also one of the characters in this book as I Love his series too.  An excellent 5 stars, cant wait for the next Michael Connelly book!
I love Michael Connelly's stories and I loved this one.
He can surely write gripping and highly entertaining story because he's a master storyteller.
This one is excellent: the plot is tightly knitted and fast paced, the characters fleshed out and  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I would like to thank Netgalley and Orion Publishing Group for an advance copy of The Law of Innocence.
This is the sixth novel to feature the Lincoln Lawyer, Mickey Haller and it does not disappoint. Harry Bosch has a cameo appearance but the story centers around Mickey Haller who is framed for a murder and represents himself in court in a bid to clear his name.

The action is gripping and fast-paced, and the suspense keeps you reading right to the conclusion. For Michael Connelly fans like myself this is a very enjoyable read, with all the established and well-loved characters playing their roles.

I thoroughly enjoyed the read and would recommend this book and hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Another exciting 'Lincoln Lawyer' legal thriller. This time defence attorney Mickey Haller has to plot his own defence from behind bars after being arrested on a traffic stop when a body is found in his boot. Clearly a set-up, Haller and his legal team need to uncover who has framed him to clear his name. A great courtroom drama although the ending felt a little rushed.
Michael Connelly is the best of the best. I’m a huuuuge fan of Michael Connelly and have read all his books. With every book of his that is released, he proves why he deserves to be on top of bestselling authors. The Law of Innocence is excellent, gripping, fast paced, unputdownable and all the other adjectives one can think of. I loved the book from the first page itself. The only small criticism I can think of with this book is that I would have liked to see more of Bosch in it. Bosch is in the book but he plays a very very tiny part, a bit more of Bosch would have been great.
But overall a superb book and highly recommended.
The Law of Innocence states you not only have to prove you are not guilty of a crime, but have to find the party that is.

Mickey Haller is stopped by the police after celebrating the end of a successful case, in his trunk, the dead body of a former client is found and Mickey finds himself in prison for a murder he swears he didn't commit. The body is of Sam Scales a conman of the highest order, who Mickey stopped representing due to not being paid for his services.

Mickey is being framed, but by who and why? Most importantly they need to find out who the actual killer is. The team helping in this effort are the usual suspects, Jennifer, Cisco, Cisco's wife Laura in the background and eventually his half brother Harry Bosch. When Jennifer has to go and deal with her seriously ill father, Mickey's ex wife Maggie, who is a prosecutor, comes onto the team.

The prosecution is led by Dana Berg who will do anything in her power to make sure Mickey goes to jail for life, Dana is making this personal.

An enjoyable read, attention to detail, as in all Michael Connelly book's is second to none, even managed to get the start of the pandemic in, and how things changed, even prison visits

I would have liked to have known what happened to Bishop, was an important character whilst in prison (I felt), drove for Mickey when he was released and then didn't get mentioned?

Recommended
I’ve been lax in my reading of the Mickey Haller series but I absolutely will be picking them up again after reading The Law of Innocence. In this book, Haller becomes the defendant after a body was found in his trunk. What follows is an excellent legal thriller, that was unputdownable. Highly recommended!
Michael Connelly does it again, blessing us with yet another book in one year!

Mickey Haller returns to the courtroom, this time defending himself.  This is a totally engrossing, intense thriller, made all the more real by including the start of the Covid 19 pandemic.

A riveting book that deserves all your attention and more!

My thanks to NetGalley and Orion Publishing Group for allowing me to read and review honestly.
We’re huge Michael Connelly fans’ and came to him via The Concrete Blonde, oh so many years ago, in Murder One. It’s thus with complete delight we read his new book, The Law of Innocence, the latest outing for wildly popular protagonist Mickey Haller.

From the first pages we’re thrown into the action, Haller, the Lincoln Lawyer, being pulled over by a traffic cop, in what initially seems odd but manageable circumstances, until, that is, the blood starts to drip from his trunk onto the road and a body is discovered: so begins Haller’s fight for his life and liberty. Incarcerated in the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown LA and kept safe by the protection he’s paying for, Haller manages his own defence with the help of his outside tight-knit team.

They say never defend yourself, but Haller is a pro and, of course, convinced only he can get himself off, for it’s not as simple as clearing his name, he has to find out who the real killer is. It’s an interesting premise for a novel – Haller, the epic hero, accused of a crime he didn’t commit, but with the odds stacked against him, his quest is to battle evil, prove his innocence and gain the prize, his life.

The wonderful thing about Michael Connelly’s books is the sheer energy. So much is woven into his plots and the huge of amount detail given to the reader is done in such a way that it doesn’t seem overplayed or overworked. That in itself is an extraordinary skill. And in this, The Law of Innocence is no different to his earlier work. In addition, we’re also handed characters who are believable and in whom we’re quickly invested, whether they’re on the right or wrong side of the law.

This is entertainment pure and simple, delivered with the ease of an author at the top of his game. And while, we are unabashed Harry Bosch fans, and have been since we were first introduced to him in that great indie bookshop on Charing Cross Road, Mickey Haller is a very attractive protagonist and The Law of Innocence simply terrific stuff.

Highly, highly recommended.
What more can you say? Christmas has come early with the opportunity to read the new Michael Connelly thriller - his second book of the year.

I am in awe of how the writer retains his energy and enthusiasm to keep compiling such a body of exceptional work and to keep his characters fresh and interesting.

I won't regurgitate the story as others have already done so but Mickey Haller is shown at his most ingenious, creative and maybe even devious as his mind is fully concentrated in saving himself from a potential life sentence as he is framed for a gangland murder he did not commit.

He has also grown as a character and a man as his personal life is developed as well as his touching relationship with his daughter.

Harry Bosch is also there in the background. I could have done with a bit more of him as he is pretty peripheral to the story but perhaps that would-be asking for too much.

As ever this is a wonderful book written by a consummate professional and wordsmith.

Highly recommended.
The day may have started well for Haller but its about to end on a nightmare for him. A routine stop by police with the request to open his boot leads to the discovery of a body. The body of a man that Haller has had previous dealings with. Thrown into jail he must use all his wiles and the skills of those around him to not only get bail but more importantly prove his innocence. With the odds and the opposition intent on making him suffer can he prove his innocence in the time he has or will injustice prevail. Bringing on board Bosh to help him might just be the resource he needs , it also helps that they are related so things are more personal.

It’s amazing how such a mundane event, pulled over by the police can be made into such a power house of a novel. A novel that will take you on a rush to justice through a quagmire of falsehoods and dirty tricks. Putting Haller on the inside of a jail is a master stroke and gives us even more insight to all the characters involved. How the team and family come together to fight for the truth , how they support and lean on each other. You as a reader feel invested in Haller’s fight to prove himself innocent. I was gripped page after page as the truth unraveled before me , the book took me on a rollercoaster rush of thrills and nail biting tension. The author manages to intertwine characters from different novels together to give us a new set of interactions and thrills. He did it with Bosh and Ballard in Dark Sacred Night and he has done it again with the various adventures involving Haller and Bosh. A brilliant addition to the Connelly catalogue from an author who continues to delight and thrill his readers.
9/10

It feels like a treat having 2 Michael Connelly books released in the same year. And what a surprise, he doesn't disappoint on either occasion. This one felt like more of a treat though as it was the return of Mickey Haller who hasn't had his own book for quite some time now and Michael Connelly sure can write some fine courtroom interactions.

Mickey Haller is finding that having a dead body in the boot of your car can really put a crimp on your life, even more annoying for him is that he didn't put it there. Looks like he'll need a good lawyer to get him out of this scrape but where is he likely to find one of those? Does this make him a fool? Time will tell.

The story flows through a wonderful narrative with the usual great cast of characters and the courtroom interactions going back and forth make it hard to put down. Even though you felt you knew the outcome of the trial it was a fun journey getting there. The ending did feel a little flat compared to what had gone before and did give me pause on my overall score but in the end the rest of the book was easily 5 stars so I plumped for that. I thought the Covid mentions looming throughout the tale were done nicely, never at the forefront but a threat to our lives as we know them just around the corner. It's the first instance I've come across of this pandemic cropping up in a book I've read.

As usual, top work by Michael Connelly. I can't wait to pick up his next offering whatever it may be and with whoever it may be leading the line.