Cover Image: The Truth and Other Hidden Things

The Truth and Other Hidden Things

This really missed the mark for me. I had hoped it would be funny, easy to read and over all really good. But the main character Bells, was really annoying and at times awful to her familiy , espesially.  This affected the story greatly, her blog posts were interesting but i did not enjoy more than that.
The Truth and Other hidden things started off strong. I related to Bells as a mother and all the worry and stress that goes with it – with the exception of a late in life unplanned pregnancy. I was also looking forward to reading about life in Duchess County since we had lived there years ago and still have family there.

I enjoyed her family – Harry was too much as he adjusted to their new life and her children were relatable. But after the Walker family made the mover to Pigkill, that is when I started losing interest. I understand that Bells was unhappy but I had lost sympathy for her. The depiction of the area felt like a typical city stereotype of upstate and Millennial bashing was over the top.

I don’t think this is a bad book. It’s just not the book for me.
Thank you NetGalley for an ARC of this book.

I liked this book, the writing was good. And I love that we got the blog post that she wrote.
I cannot relate to Bells myself, since she is almost twice my age. However, I could still relate to a few things. I also love to write, and would love to have a famous blog or writing a book.
Now, I have to say I loved the fact that she is over 40, and gets unexpected pregnant. There are so many books that doesn´t go there, however, this is a reality.
I can see why she decided to start a blog to bash others that she thought didn´t like her. People lie gossip, and this is a sure way to have people reading. However, I knew this would get back to bite her.
I get all her familymembers reactions, but i loved how it ended.
I was so excited to receive this ARC of The Truth and Other Hidden Things. It sounded like it’d be a great laugh, and it was. I did get a little overwhelmed when Bells just could not give up the Dutchess even though she knew it would probably hurt Harry in the end. On the other hand, I didn’t really care for Harry and if it would hurt him. He was very self-absorbed and lacked compassion for his wife who had uprooted even though she did everything for their family, besides bring in the money. I feel like the story missed an opportunity to focus on their marriage more. Overall, good read. Would recommend to friends for a beach read.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC to read and review.

The Truth and Other Hidden Things by Lea Geller.

Bells, Bells, Bells!  I'm feeling you honey.  As a 40-something lady, I emphasized with Bells Walker and her need to be seen.  The mom life can be very isolating, especially when your little chicks are able to function as humans without you.  Tack on an oblivious husband and an unexpected pregnancy and you get the award for neurotic of the year.  Bells decides to take this out on her new neighbors in The County Duchess blog.  But the blogger life offers only a temporary heal to what's really wrong in her life.

This book is funny and brilliantly written.
A woman moves from New York to a small town for her husband's job and finds drama through a blog she heads up as a way to keep a creative outlet.

Bells finds out she's pregnant and that her husband lost his tenure and his job at a college in the same day. Her teenage kids aren't thrilled about the new baby or the now necessary move, as their apartment also went along with the job. Her husband finds a new job at a college in Dutchess County and the whole family moves there. Bells, feeling adrift, starts writing a blog about her new life, taking shots at the people she encounters and their secrets. As the secrets get more juicy, her blogs gets more readers and suddenly everything is out of control, including Bells.

Bells is a likeable character even though she definitely screws up, and readers will be hoping for her redemption at the end. The rest of her family, is frankly annoying, from her bratty kids to her man child husband. But in the end she makes the story worthwhile.
I love a good cynical main character. I cannot imagine a surprise un-planned pregnancy at 42 years old (especially with 2 teenagers in your house.) this is a very funny book but yet has some heart warming parts as well. That is always a great sign for a good book. Is it War and Peace? No-but is not supposed to be. Every so often I really need a light book. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great beach read.
I appreciate Netgalley giving me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sometimes you just need a book to make you laugh. High on drama, and humor, The Truth and Other Hidden Things is an excellent escape. I loved the protagonist and her wacky humor. She did become slightly annoying after a while, but she acknowledges this about herself. I plan to read all of Lea Geller's books after this!
Fantastic book. Thank you to NetGalley for the free book in exchange for an honest review. I just finished this book and went over to Amazon and purchased Trophy Wife (and the audiobook version). The author is a funny lady. The main character, Bells, basically has a mid-life crisis during a fraught family time. The husband is a professor who doesn’t get tenure. They have to relocate from the city to the suburbs ( and into a house with a stand-alone kitchen). The two teenagers have to change schools and make new friends.  And, Bells discovers she is accidentally pregnant at 42. Who wouldn’t have a crisis. Feeling insecure, invisible, old and under appreciated has her writing a blog.  The blog takes off when she starts to dish dirt on her new community. She realizes that the nastier she is, the more readers she has. She feels better about herself but the reader can just see it for the devastation it will cause to her family and friends. If you’ve ever gotten that mean-spirited streak and thought about letting it out so that you can feel better about yourself, you will understand Bells. You’ll need to read the book to find out how it all resolved. No spoiler alerts here but I give this book  a 5. And yes, it is heartwarming when it all comes together.
Riveting, funny, and relatable. What mom has never felt like her whole life revolved around her family at least once in her lifetime. Bells is not an exception. The story is very relatable. From moving to a new place and feeling out of place with everyone that has been there and known each other all their lives, it is exhausting trying to find a way to fit in. In today's world, blogging is the new writing in your diary. However, this is public rather than just for you. Life online is also very fake. You post what you want or think people want to see. It's also a way of getting approvals. The story on one side read like a novel and yet a lot like a diary. There are dramas, funny moments, and some downfall in this story, which makes it wholesome. It is an amazing read.

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for letting me read this fabulous ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Long time NYC gal, Bells Walker, her husband, and their two teens need to suddenly move to upstate for her husband’s job.  On top of that, Bells realizes she expecting a very (VERY) unplanned baby.  The adjustment pains are real, and when Bells starts a blog to help her deal with the crazy new hipster town, things don’t go quite the way she had planned.  I was a bit disappointed by this book and found there were a few missed opportunities to make Bells a little nicer and her predicament a little more understandable.  It wasn’t a bad book, but won’t make my favorites list for the year.

Special Note:  Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
The review is scheduled to post at Roundtable Reviews on April 1st.

Some women will truly get Bells Walker and others may not be there yet. I got her and felt every ounce of frustration, pain, hurt, and joy she felt. For that reason, this book was amazing and it had me laughing and crying.

In The Truth and Other Hidden Things, Bells Walker is in for a shock when she learns the joke's on her when her almost foolproof IUD has resulted in a close to mid-life pregnancy. She's about to turn 43 and pregnancy at this age is not on her to-do list. Pair that news with her husband's announcement that he's denied tenure again.

Not only is Bells pregnant, but her teens are about to be uprooted as they're all moving to Pigkill, New York, where Harry is able to land a job at Duchess College. Life in Pigkill is nothing like life in New York City. In a town where hipsters flock, a 40-something mom-to-be doesn't fit in. Kombucha, pickled vegetables, and CBD coffee are not her thing and probably never will be.

As she lost her newspaper job in the move, Bells decides to try her hand at something new. She takes all of her experiences in this new town and turns them into a humorous column that reveals all the dirt of Hudson Valley life under the guise of the mysterious "Dutchess." Revealing the secrets of her new community can't be bad when it's making so many online readers love her, right?

Ask any mom about some of the other "moms" in their community and you will get all the dirt. Is a public column the best place to reveal it? Maybe not, but I certainly got where Bells was coming from. There have been times I'd love to reveal the truth about some of the classroom "moms" of classmates my own now-adult kids exposed me to. Suffice it to say for a small country town that prides itself on being neighborly, it's not always the case.

I loved this book and ended up staying up too late to try to finish it. That didn't work, so I got up early, grabbed my coffee (Brio, of course, because the pandemic has led to my passion for #BrioCoffeeWorksRocks coffees and nothing else will do!), and read until I'd finished the final sentence. I loved it and am sure may other readers will too.
Really i feeding and entertaining glimpse into midlife and all its surprises. Somewhat stereotypical in mother in law, husband, and mom clique characters but overall a fun read.
TTaOHT by Lea Geller, published by Lake Union Publishing, is a highly entertaining, can't put it down read. The writing is fantastic, makes it want to read in one sitting.
Elsbeth Walker is a 42 married mother of two who just had to move more rural than NY.
Add in a sweet surprise, judging mombots, you get the picture. What does she do???? She goes right for the jugular in a highly entertaining, witty and fun read, a storyline that gave me all the feels, let me easily connect with the characters. A great 5 star read.
I wanted to love The Truth and Other Hidden Things, and I did for the first few chapters. I’m a sucker for a cynical main character but, after a while, it becomes clear that Bells is just unpleasant. I would have preferred to read more about Bells’s struggle with her career, teenage children, pregnancy, and relationships with her mother and mother-in-law than pages of blog posts about millennials in the Hudson Valley.

I received this book from NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
i got interested in this because i thought 'a blogger spilling the tea' sounds really good. unfortunately, i was bored most of the time reading this. as much as i appreciate having a female lead in her 40s, bells was pretty hard to like and obnoxious. i didn't think she got a real character development. it felt like a "she's only sorry because she got caught" situation. the other characters didn't add anything to the story for me, a lot of them are also unlikeable.
Bells Walker learns she is pregnant the day her Husbands tenure is declined at his university. So, pregnant and with teenagers, they pack up and move from Manhattan to Pigkill, Hudson Valley.
After not being able to find a job Bells starts blogging, anonymously dishing the dirt of Pigkill and it’s residents.
The Truth and Other Hidden Things is a great read. It’s a perfect spotlight on life with teenagers, life with new babies and moving to a new area. It’s is well written with really likeable characters. Bells mother and mother-in-law have to be my favourites.
I love the humour. I love the poignant moments. And I really love the scandal Bells uncovered.
It is a nice, easy read that will leave you smiling at the end.
At the beginning, Bells was a bearable character, likeable even, but as the book went on she slowly became more and more intolerable. Her behaviour with not only the blog stuff but towards her family was atrocious. I understand that having a baby can cause some unwanted chaos within a new mothers body, but it wasn’t even that that bothered me. Towards the last quarter of the book before it blew up in her face, she was OBSESSED with the blog, with finding out dirt on the people in her town so she could garner comments and likes from people who didn’t even know her.

Despite the annoying main character, I didn’t hate the book and even found some of it enjoyable. I quite like the trope of a family moving to a small town and on that front, this book didn’t disappoint. Typically with that trope the children or teenagers are grumpy, unhappy and unwilling to try, so it was refreshing to read about teenagers that while they didn’t want to move and expressed that much, they still put in effort and managed to settle down and find their place.

I really liked her husband. While he seemed a little aloof and disinterested in her feelings at times, he was a fun character to read. He seemed to settle into Pigkill quite well and tried really hard to help Bells become interested in her new town as well. She became interested alright, but not in the way he was thinking and when it blew up, I didn’t blame him for being angry because she jeopardised his career so she could get her fifteen minutes of fame.

The ending was quite satisfying. Obviously, things blew up for Bells and I really liked the way she got her just-deserts while still having a good ending. Would I recommend this book? Hesitantly, yes, if you’re okay with the main character being obnoxious for most of the book.

*I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
Díd it ever happen to you to read a book and to like it so much that even the acknowledgement was an interesting read? Well, in this case it happened to me.
Bell's is a forty something woman living in New York, who finds out almost at the same time that her IUD failed and that her husband lost the opportunity to get tenure, a professional goal he'd considered almost achieved. Even after all these shocks, she tries to be a good sport supporting her husband Harry's new opportunity, and moves her family up the Hudson valley to face an entirely new experience. Did I mention Bells was a blog's writer? Among many things, she was. And somehow upon arrival to the new destination, her muse gets hit with deep inspiration. So deep that she forgets to avoid elemental risks while enjoying her ride while accommodating to the new community and baking at impossible hours in her new unattached kitchen.
I liked this book very much. I suspect it was because I felt absolutely identified with Bells. She's sort of an introvert who tends to be observant about all around her. I found interesting the way the author guided Bell's character grow through the pages and managed her anxiety while she finds herself trapped in the middle of letting go her older offspring and nesting for the upcoming new member of the family.
The narrative hits high standards, and it's full of witty sparks. The characters are very well developed and absolutely lovable. Add a good plot and voila, a great story is up and alive!
It's my first book from this author and I hope it will not be the last
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Truth And Other Hidden Things by Lea Geller is a fun, thrilling and heartfelt novel. After Bells Walker life goes downhill, her and her family go to New York’s Hudson Valley where Bells husband Harry lands a job at a college. When life doesn’t turn out the way Bells has hoped for she starts a blog under the pen name County Dutchess where she anonymously dishes about life and detailing the activities of parents and drunk hipsters. The more she posts on her blog the more scandals come to light, and she starts to jeopardize her husband’s work. This novel was an amazing read about the life of a wife, mother and women trying to find herself. It is a heartfelt and thrilling read. Thank you to Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for giving me an opportunity to read this novel.