Cover Image: Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan 1

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan 1

Uramichi is a 31-year old children’s TV host who leads physical exercises and teaches life lessons of how painful it is to be an adult. At the same time, he has to maintain his happy-go-lucky façade during his job. Of course, such a job doesn’t change his personality for the best as he is miserable and upset with his current lifestyle. It is not just Uramichi; we have two mascots and a singing duo who are in a similar situation but have problems of their own.
Before I give my review, I want to say that a lot of comedic manga usually goes over my head, as some of the jokes don't translate smoothly over to English. This manga, however, was hilarious without that setback. There were a lot of moments in the book where I had to pause because I busted up laughing. A lot of the humor is an adult's cynical view on aging and living life, which is perfect for me because I'm around the same age as the characters in the book. I also really enjoyed the art and I'm excited to see where the next volume goes with the story and characters' backgrounds.
Prose (Story): The life and times (and life advice) of Uramichi Oniisan, 31-year-old children's TV show co-host whose everyday message - to the little kids surrounding him in the studio, as well as those watching from home - remains constant every day, whether he's leading them in exercises or performing a song or skit: "Enjoy your life now, because it all sucks from here."

Don's (Review): Picture the "Blues Clues" guy if he somehow lost his anti-depressant meds a couple weeks ago; there is so much going on in this dark - and darkly funny - manga, both on the page and in-between the lines. At 31, Uramichi couldn't be more jaded; he's given up, and doesn't care who knows it, whether that's a pair of animal-costumed co-workers whose mouths and mistakes often get the bad end of his temper, or the singing male and female duo who also act as co-hosts on the children's show with Uramichi, whose songs are mostly about life only kicking you more when you're already down. Uramichi clearly has issues of depression and has given up on life already - his co-workers equally dysfunctional - yet with all the maudlin messages and sardonic humor, you can't help but care for Uramichi and the gang, even root for them, and there are also more than a few surprisingly funny moments here, often in the form of the hilarious, sometimes quite mature way the studio audience kids react to the trauma and drama of the adults performing (r trying to) before them. The artwork is excellent, helping to set up the dark humor and sarcasm, and by the end I was really rooting for Uramichi to get his groove back ... even as the story drops a few hints of surprises coming up for volume two that might hopefully turn him around. Fans of sarcasm and snarky humor, or those who've ever looked back on life (no matter the age) and wondered what the heck happened ... you'll get this, complete with some laugh-out-loud moments, and look forward to volume two. Others may want to pass, though I think you'd be missing out. Personally, it had to grow on me, initially - but once it did, I loved it.  4/5 stars

NOTE: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
I’d seen screenshots of panels of Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan floating around the internet for a few months prior to getting my hands on this copy via NetGalley, and it instantly resonated with me. Uramichi Omota is a former gymnast who works as a host on a children’s television show, but he is the total antithesis of what you’d expect from someone in his position. He’s pessimistic and sarcastic, and probably one of the most relatable characters I’ve ever encountered.

What I really loved about Uramichi as a character is how matter of fact he is. He really tells it straight, even to the children appearing on his show. The children themselves are also extremely funny, and they’re like the antidote to Uramichi. They’re also very mature, and hearing the children say things which seem much older than their years is also very amusing.

Uramichi seems totally disillusioned with life, and so do his co-stars. I think this is really good to see and makes a great change from endlessly optimistic shounen protagonists, and as an older person (I’m actually the same age as Uramichi!), it makes the manga much more relatable to see someone who is dealing with everyday things but has become fed up with life – haven’t we all, especially in lockdown!

Uramichi manages to simultaneously be depressing and cynical, but at the same time the way he delivers his message and interacts with his co-stars is also whimsical and hilarious, so the tone of the manga manages to remain positive and upbeat despite the outlook of its characters.

Generally speaking, I’m not much of a fan of manga (or anime!) that are a series of skits or vignettes. I much prefer a good story arc, with a continuous plot. Whilst some chapters do reference back to other events, mostly Uramichi Oniisan spends a chapter on a different skit or event which are reasonably standalone. I feel like had it been more of a developing plot it would have given more chance for the comedy to escalate, but as it stands Uramichi Oniisan is still really funny and has plenty of laugh out loud moments.

By the end of the volume, some jokes do feel a bit well worn – things I was laughing heartily at at the beginning of the manga seemed a bit overdone the more things went on. That said, there are plenty of positive things going on to make Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan a really fun read.
This book is hard for me to describe. It has a lot of cynicism and dark humor but nothing about it is actually funny. Uramichi Oniisan is a children's tv host and is extremely tired of adult life and tells the kids on the show about this in a dark way. You get a view of the other faces of the show and what their life is like behind the scenes. Honestly, I didn't like it a whole lot but I can see how others could.
Ok, so the first chapter was entertaining. The next was ok, the third felt like you’d already read it and then it just continued from there.

The synopsis of Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan intrigued me and I think the idea is fun. The art style is good as well, but the story becomes repetitive quickly.

Uramichi teaches is life lessons deadpan to the kids, they are confused (shocked?) but get over it. It’s a wrap and then next show. The rest of the characters are equally as miserable in their job and everyone seems to loathe the TV Show they work on.

The humour just wasn’t me. Based on other reviews I’ve seen some readers love this series, so I think like comedy it’s very much about what humour works for the audience. I might not have liked it but someone else will.
CW: Depression, Burn Out, some Alcohol Usage

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan is unusual fanfare when it comes to manga yet it is absolutely worth reading. The first volume of the manga introduces 31 year old Omota Uramichi, host of a children’s television host known to many as Uramichi Oniisan. Sure he leads the exercise segments for the show but he also lets the the little ones how how soul sucking real life can be for adults further down the line with timely placed comments about drinking and being sucker punched by God.

This manga is a dark comedy that plays upon pun after pun with quick quips and commentary on the entertainment business, adulthood and expectations and personalities. As elaborated in the afterword, in Japan it is commonplace for children’s television programing to have hosts to be young adults and thus be referred to as Oniisan and Oneesan--older brother and older sister. For readers in the Western World, specifically American, think ‘Blue’s Clues’ versus ‘Mister Rogers’.

The skits and shenanigans that Uramichi and co-workers: Utano and Iketeru, the female and male counterparts who handle the singing portions of the show and two costumed mascots/sidekicks (bear and rabbit) make for hilarious reading and a great way to wave away second hand embarrassment. The characters are the heart of this book and with volume two already out as of February 2021, you have time to trip over the jokes through and cringe at some of the situations that these working adults find themselves in. From failed female idols who are stuck in relationship with comedian boyfriend who just are NOT funny to  the eccentric one at work who can’t keep a straight face and will laugh when told pervy limericks and puns, this manga works best when you find yourself caught off guard with the bizarre and quirky--which this book has much of.

I’d suggest for fans for Skull Faced Honda and maybe, Gintama.
Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan is hilarious and painfully relatable. It was so much fun to read but also shines a mirror to the soul crushing weight of modern society and working adulthood. The contrast between Uramichi's thoughts and the peppy upbeat atmosphere of the children's show and the character he plays is spectacular. It's some how hopeless, depressing yet hilarious in a bizarre yet honest way.

You honestly won't understand until you read it (which I recommend you do)! I laughed out loud all the time while reading but I also stopped to reflect on my own anxieties of adulthood and mourn the lost dreams and potential I had as a child.

The manga really resonates with you deeply and reflects a heaviness many people will understand and find amusement in the absurdity and tribulations of the mundanity and weariness of working to survive
Pretty short so I did not feel any real attachment to any of the characters but overall, it was a decent story.
I went into this manga not knowing what to expect. I liked the idea of it but I didn't get attached to any of the characters. It was okay but I was hoping for more. Maybe it just wasn't for me. The only thing I found funny was how scared Usahara was of Omota Uramichi. I'll read the next volume to see if I like it more.

- M
When we watch a toddler or preschool show with an adult cast, we can forget that the actor is not the same as his character. That she has a real life beyond the screen. That they have real problems. That "kid's show host" probably isn't the life they had in mind. And that's the central premise of this manga. It's a a black comedy, so everything is taken to an extreme. Uramichi walks around with a fixed smile, nearly a grimace, pasted to his face. He talks about futility as he teaches silly dances and introduces story time. It's not just tongue in cheek. IT's stepped beyond that. Its darkness and depression laid bare.
Loved the dark humour and the dive deeper into the characters towards the end of the volume. Dragged a bit in the middle and the jokes weren’t quite as good, but I enjoyed the concept enough to keep going. I suspect the humour of these jokes didn’t translate as well, as I really love the ideas and the characters do seem to be developing an arc.
Sarcastic? Yes.
Full of dark humor? Yes.
A ridiculous relatable book for a 24-year-old who is constantly job hunting? Oh yes.

I loved reading through this manga. “Who’s exhausted? Hurting?" "Why aren't you married? Or a daddy?" "I lose a little bit more... Of my life force." Honestly, Uramichi, me too. I think this manga can be a huge hit with the TikTok generation and older. I know that my 40-year-old friends would enjoy this book just as much as I did. I look forward to reading Kuze's next work and supporting them by purchasing this book when it is out for my friends to enjoy too.

I just reviewed Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan 1 by Gaku Kuze. #LifeLessonswithUramichiOniisan1 #NetGalley
I have been hearing such bad things about this title, so I was hesitant to pick it up myself...but boy am I SO glad that I did! It was probably the funniest manga I have ever read! The humor is top notch and fits with GEN Z's type of humor. Very over the top depressing and negative humor that really made me chuckle out loud several times. I am absolutely addicted to this series now and will 100% be picking up physical copies whenever I see them! I would definitely recommend this to very specific readers though, as like I said, not many people I've heard talking about this like it, but it honestly deserves so much recognition! I loved it! Highly recommend if you like dark humor!
4.5 stars

I really loved this manga. This English Kindle version is really a bind up of volume 1 and 2. At first I thought that I would get bored of  the concept, because it is fairly repetitive, but I really enjoyed it and loved the characters. I may also be a simp for our MC, Uramichi San. Not going to lie, I loved that nihilistic attitude, and he is a gymnast.

The dark comedy remains fairly consistent. Revolving around the idea of adulthood fucking sucks. But, the character interactions amplified the hilarity of it and the humor was timed perfectly. I laughed so hard at the songs about things like not having an umbrella when it rains and  the interactions with the kids on the show. The juxtaposition of hating adulthood while working as actors on a kid's show was gold for me.

I look forward to reading volume three and this is one of those manga I would love to own and have in my collection.
Ever felt bad about your life choices? That is basically Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan – a deluge of career and life crisis as a children’s show entertainer. Think if Steve from Blue’s Clues visibly hated his job, yet kept the resentment and chipper attitude in tandem. The concept and its first few pages lay an excellent foundation for many a reader where we see the host, Uramichi Oniisan, telling out-of-character questions and statements including:
•	“Who’s exhausted? Hurting? Meeeee…”
•	“I’ll cast a special spell on all of you…one to keep you safe from ending up like me in twenty-odd years.”

These kinds of jokes make the bulk of the manga and are some of the funniest I have read. It is a story worth visiting each chapter, especially for someone who likes self-deprecating and depressing humor. Yet, I only treat this manga as a “visit’ as opposed to a straight and thorough read because the comedy tends to be one-note, repetitive, and at worst monotonous. The subject matter is not so visceral to me as it is all played for laughs, yet the flow of the manga gets hampered with the same brand of humor in each chapter. It also gets hard to follow on whose who. I normally mistake one character for Uramichi and vice versa, whether it be from a lack of character development (especially in the first segment) or the similar features and designs. What I notice is that my enjoyment of this work stems from reading one chapter a day. This makes the jokes land fresh without any sort of a blur. Hopefully, the next installment will have more character-development along with its brand of depressingly funny comedy.

I can definitely see this title working for those in their mid 20's, particularly in college, and those in the working world. If I want to indirectly communicate to someone how much I am hurting and hating my life decisions, giving them a copy of this manga would be a first step...kind of.
***ARC provided by Netgalley for honest review***

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan, volume 1 is a manga about the depressing cast of an educational children's television show. They all hate their jobs, but do their best to push through the adulty tears and teach some kids!   :-P It was a bit more cringy than I thought it would be, however, its sort of sarcastic and dark humour did come off pretty funny  at times. Neither excellent or awful, I'd say pick up this unique story about the tragedy of career choices if it sounds interesting to you.
I could not stop laughing throughout this whole story! Uramichi Oniisan is so hilarious as a main character, and I especially like the sardonic, dark humor he uses. He is the inner voice in all of us, saying what most of us only think. I love the juxtaposition of him and the cute children; they play off each other so well. I can't wait to see what comes next!
Thanks to NetGalley and Kodansha Comics for providing an e-ARC of this manga in exchange for an honest review. All the opinions expressed in this review are my own.
---
I was so excited to read this! I had been hearing a lot of good things about Uramichi Oniisan for a while now and I jumped on the chance to review it.

Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan follows 31-year-old Uramichi who is a host on a popular kids show. He conducts typical fun activities for kids such as singing songs and making crafts. He always manages to sneak in some harsh, cold-slap-of-reality and entirely too depressing advice about the depressing realities of adult life in his work. Miraculously, he is never edited out.

This manga was hilarious! In a hitting wayyy too close to home kinda way.

I absolutely adore the tiny little kids and their comments whenever Uramichi slips into his moods mid-show. Uramichi's coworkers are a band of adults whose sole purpose seems to be to expound upon exactly how many ways life can screw someone over.

I also love the little glimpses into "off-screen" Uramichi and how these hint at a deeper story of this amazing character.

Also, I have to add that there are full lyrics to the wacky and adorable jingles sung by the hosts of the show!

I think it goes without saying that this was an absolute delight to read! The pacing was perfect, the artwork somber, beautiful and adorable in all the right places and the dialogue was very well thought-out.

I cannot wait to read Volume 2!

Overall rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 stars
Uramichi is the charming "oniichan" from the morning Japanese children's show ... who is completely mentally dead inside. He is a bachelor, lives a recent life as a modern loner and is a bit depressed, but he has something to say to the children (whether he wants to go to work or not ... he doesn't want to go soon). He's not really alone ... everyone in this show with a little something (a little ?!) depressed from real life outside the studio, where they have to sing, jump and laugh (although even the kids are used to that something they are not in order xD).
The title is very fresh, with soft sarcasm and irony, with great clean art. Although we talk about how its theme is depressing, the story is not difficult or sad, only within the limits of how one understands the theme of loneliness ... Our Uramichi is convinced that to be alone and to be lonely is not one and also, so hope is definitely alive in him ... although kids tend to make him think it might not be so xD
I had a lot of fun. The anime adaptation, which was marked last year for this one, will turn out perfectly. Kamiya Hiroshi, I am convinced, will be as attached to this role, I can hear it. Miyano Mamoru and Sugita Tomokazu can also be defined as right in the top ten.
I would be happy to follow the series!

The original of this review is in Bulgarian, as it is my native language. The link below leads to it.