Cover Image: The Promise

The Promise

As soon as I started to read this story I was gripped. I remember only too well growing up in a time when “the troubles“ in Northern Ireland were a way of life. Thankfully, we have all moved on and the troubles have been consigned to the history books. While this is not a history book it nevertheless touches on the not too distant past when people were judged on who they were and where they came from.
In the first chapter we meet Kate, a young trainee nurse visiting her Mam, who has been imprisoned for being involved with the local paramilitaries. As an activist and civil rights campaigner Kate’s  mum was an easy target for the local police force
. In the next chapter we meet David who is the son of the local clergyman. While  deciding where his future lies he is working in the local  supermarket.
Circumstances bring David and Kate together on one fateful day but the ramifications of that day are with them both for a long long time to come. A super book, I loved it. Thank you to #NetGalley and #HarperFiction for an ARC of this super book. I would give it 4⭐️
The plot development was superb and I was rooting for both Kate and David. I had a really hard time putting my Kindle down to do my Adult responsibilities.
This book is perfection.
I loved the emotions this book puts the reader through. Stunning absolutely stunning!
Loved this book. The trauma David and Kate go through and yet find love and happiness is amazing and on the way they bring their families together from different sides and the divide. I would think I could imagine living through the troubles in northern Ireland - but this proves you really had to be there and the persistence of the divides even after the Good Friday agreement.
Oh my heart. Emma Heatherington had broken my heart into millions of tiny pieces and glued it back together with this absolutely wonderful gem.

I have to admit, this was far away from what I had expected but I have loved it so much I’m unsure a written review will give the book justice.

I have adored Kate and David, what a fantastic mix of characters. The tension between their families is an added element to this book.

This is unique and unlike anything I’ve read previously, it’s a book that has imprinted on my heart and will stay with me for a long time.

I have been hooked on this one from the very beginning. The bomb explosion pulled me in even deeper and I have been wanting these characters to find their way.

There is nothing negative I can say about this one. Emma is a massively talented author and one who gets better with every book. This is possibly my new favourite.

A book highly deserving of all the stars and a definite recommendation from me.
The Promise - Emma Heatherington

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK and I am leaving this review voluntarily

One terrible moment changes everything for teenagers Kate and David. Brought together during the darkest of times of the Troubles, a spark of hope is ignited between them – a hand held in the darkness, a promise whispered. Neither of them will ever forget those moments.

It’s another ten years before they meet once more, and their lives are now so different. The promise they made to each other on that fateful day still binds them, but now they have so much more to lose.

Have they missed their one chance at happiness? They only way they will ever know is to risk everything to be together. Is that too high a price to pay for love…?

This is an emotional book - it will take you through a variety of different emotions. Ultimately this is a love story, but it is also a tale of hope and overcoming many boundaries. It is a lovely book to read that will leave its mark on you.

I thought that this book was much deeper than I initially anticipated. Some of the topics covered are delicate but these are handled in such a way that the book is an easy read.

Rating: 4/5
LOVED THIS! This is absolutely the most perfect book to read this winter. Prepare yourself to fall in love with the characters and strap yourself in for an incredible journey.
The promise by Emma Heatherington.
One terrible moment changes everything for teenagers Kate and David. Brought together during the darkest of times, a spark of hope is ignited between them – a hand held in the darkness, a promise whispered. Neither of them will ever forget those moments.
Wow this was a lovely read. I love romance stories.  This was no exception.  Absolutely brilliant.  5*.
This is an incredibly powerful and thought provoking novel that gripped me right from the start and held onto me until the end.
One eventful day in Ireland changed two lives. Meeting up again 10 years later this story is told from both perspectives. Powerful and thought provoking
Definitely recommend
This felt at times like a modern day Romeo and Juliet story.. and at any rate it was a complete epic.

I really wasn't sure which way it would end up, I would have believed pretty much any ending, as there were so many possibilities.

Set in Northern Ireland starting during the time of The Troubles, one explosive day, changed the course of Kate and David's lives forever.  We then meet them 10 years later and get to see how their lives have changed and from then on, we get snapshots are regular intervals of what each of them is doing.

The book is written from both perspectives and it is really easy to mentally switch between them both.  And Kate and David really are clearly connected but also know that their ultimate destiny and happiness could be completely impossible due to their families and differences in upbringings.

This is turning out to be an impossible book to review without spoilers, so I'm just going to say that the story will have you thinking, it may have you researching more about what was really like during The Troubles, and it will grip you completely.

I suspect I'll be thinking about Kate and David for many days to come, and it really is a powerful and must read book.

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Thanks to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK for the advance copy of this book to be published on 14th October.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I was not disappointed, it is beautifully written.
An engaging emotional read throughout. I enjoyed reading both sides of the story as it alternated between Kate and David. This story had me gripped and I recommend it. 4 stars 🌟
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

One moment and everything has changed for Kate and David, who come together in darker times, where a flicker of hope is lit between them, and a promise is made silently. A time neither of them will forget.

The book is set in Ireland, following the lives of 2 young people, Kate and David, who separate and go their own way, only they meet up 10 years later….

Captivating from the start to the end.

Recommend It.
The cover really doesn't do the book justice. The story inside is serious and meaningful but the cover suggests romance and almost a chiristmassy novel. I think  that's why I felt a bit torn about this as, as I read, I felt I was reading the wrong novel. A better one infact but a novel of two faces.

Quite apt in a way as there is a divide in the book too  - Kate and David from two sides of the Irish religious divide. This has meaning for the author and the author note was enlightening.

I  think some who would love this novel might miss it because of the cover though.
Emma Heatherington is one of my favourite authors, especially for her Christmas reads.

The Promise is another extremely moving book that highlights things that most of us will thankfully never have to experience.
The promise is such a poignant heartwarming read of true love overcoming so many boundaries!
Set in Ireland when” the troubles” were rife and guards patrolled the streets, political and civil unrest and the massive divide between catholic’s and Protestants ruled lives!
Remarkably two people Kate a working class catholic and David a Protestant ministers son are caught up in a terrible bombing along with Kates neice Shannon, what they experience and endure in the aftermath of the bomb formed a tight unique bond between them that ultimately dictates the rest of their lives, through thick and thin, disapproval, personal battles, family dynamics their love eventually pushes through and leads to the most enchanting love story that shows love can conquer all.
Such a tender thought provoking read.
Thank you netgalley for this early read.
The Promise by Emma Heatherington

OMG !  An absolutely fabulous book , set in Ireland , and follows the lives of Kate and David , 2 young people , who part and go their own way , only to meet up 10 years later.
I loved the story , and I loved Kate and David. Couldn't put the book down. Spellbinding.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
     The information about this book emphasises that it is a great story of love through conflict. It does not state that this happens in Northern Ireland, and that the difficulties experienced by Kate and David are, in part, due to the different political views held so strongly by their parents. I read 25% before giving up due to the political themes throughout the story which are too close to home for me.
     The book is well-written and the characters of Kate and David are clearly drawn, the book just wasn't for me and I think the information provided should include the link to Northern Ireland and the political beliefs.
I made the mistake of sitting down with my lunch to read this book and it is safe to say that hours later my lunch was sat there cold and untouched and I only stopped for a toilet break. I could not stop reading I loved it. it was so  good
Emma Heatherington has really come back on to my reading radar with her last two books. Several years ago I had read her earlier books written as Louise Jordan and, although enjoyable for me. they didn’t make the same impact as her more recent work. This new book, The Promise, along with her previous two have just been absolutely brilliant and I hope she starts to get the widespread recognition that she truly deserves as they are incredible pieces of work that deserve to be read by so many. Initially I thought how could she possibly live up the brilliance of her recent work, and to be honest I found the start of this one to be a slow burner, I kept thinking ah I can see where this is going. Is this just your typical boy meets girl love story but no Emma turned it into so much more and it just builds and builds, as she has such a deft touch with words, to the most incredible, heart stopping climax that left me gasping in shock but ultimately leaving you with a deep sense of appreciation and satisfaction for the exhilarating journey you have been on and for the captivating story you have read.

This author has such a way with words and sentiments. Time and time again, I found myself stopping, contemplating and absorbing a statement. With a few carefully chosen words designed to have maximum impact, she conveys so much and you really get a very deep insight into how the characters are feeling, what motivates them and why they wrestle with the many big decisions and life choices that they have to make. It’s a sublime read that I literally inhaled. It’s a sign of a good book when you are making dinner, stirring something with one hand and still have the book in your other hand as you are more than keen to see how things are continuing to develop.

It’s the summer of 1998 and Kate Foley is a trainee nurse living in Northern Ireland. She comes from a Catholic background and lives with her mother, who at this time is in prison for a crime she didn’t commit rather she was set up as she has strong opinions and is an ardent campaigner and vocal activist. At home are her sister Maureen and niece Shannon. Kate is strong, focused and determined to make a better life away from the small confines of her neighbourhood and the evil that seems to seep its way into her home. She loves her family very much but she has greater ambitions and feels at times she just can’t get her family out of the mire they find themselves in. The reasons for their situation soon become clear and it makes you understand why Kate can’t wait to leave.

Northern Ireland is still at the height of The Troubles and the divide between Catholics and Protestants grows ever wider. David lives with his parents. His father is a protestant Church Minister who wages his own war from the pulpit. He has little or no relationship with his son and his mother can’t stand up to her husband. She too has her own battles. Reverend Bob is strict and authoritarian, stuck in his ways and determined he can make David do what he wants not what David believes is the right thing to do or what he feels his life direction should take. David can’t wait to leave the family home and forge his own path. He doesn’t need to rely on his father, he knows his own mind and is weary of the put downs he constantly receives.

Six weeks after we are first introduced to the two main characters an event takes place that alters their lives for ever and it’s the subsequent years in which we follow them that really make the impact in this book. Of course said event is the catalyst but it’s more the fall out that become the pillars of this story. As the event approached I had a feeling as to what it would be, and it really struck home with me,  because here was something that happened when I was younger but I still remember it well. It’s not like the war that I didn’t live through whereas here I lived through it. Ok maybe through the news but still I felt it was relatable.

On that day Kate and David’s path cross in a way they could never have imagined. The brutality of it and the apocalyptic nature create fear, darkness, anxiety and many demons in the pair. How can you distance your mind from what has been seen? They shared an experience that no one can ever forget, so much so that it binds them together. No one else can possibly understand why they are so bound together but it’s because of what they went through that this connection is established. One wonders if said event had not happened would they have even ever met each other? Will they let that day have the power to ruin the remainder of their lives? Will the visceral connection they established entangle them together forever or will their backgrounds, the experience they shared cause even deeper division? Can love triumph over adversity?

The book moves forward at a very good pace and the years slip by at good intervals. Ten years later and Kate is living in Dublin and in a relationship which is clear is on its last legs. David is in England working as a teacher and now has a fiancée Lesley. An occasion brings the pair back to their home town and this is where they set eyes on each other once again and so the story really picks up its pace and we are taken on a rollercoaster ride packed full of emotion that hits you deep right in the heart. Both are haunted by what they experienced although I felt David more so than Kate but that’s not to take from what she still feels. Kate had looked for David prior to this second meeting but here is where his father played his trump card and Kate knew not to pursue things.

But fate has plenty in store for them and the connection and simmering bond between them is evident. Will history hold them back like previous generations or have they the will power, strength and fortitude to follow their hearts? As David battles with the demons that always lay inside him and then they begin to come to the fore you wonder is it all too much? Can this pair keep the promise they made to each other? They are two broken souls who hook onto each other but is it for all the wrong reasons? Can they be with each other in the real world? I desperately hoped so and the journey to discover if this could happen was just mesmerising and incredible.

I was hooked on every word of this remarkable book. The plot development was superb and I was rooting for both Kate and David. Initially it was like a small seed that was planted when they met through horrific circumstances but overtime this seed grew into something more. It needed careful nurturing and it started to wither at certain points and you questioned whether there were just too many obstacles stopping their relationship blooming into full flower. The bond they shared was heartfelt, real and genuine but the author showed how the path they navigated was far from easy and the outcome was never clear cut and straight forward. They had so much going against them and it was like they were swimming against the tide which was surging towards them. So much happens over the course of the book which highlights the rawness of their shared experience. Their passion and vulnerability radiate from the pages and the topic of segregation is deftly handled.

I really couldn’t recommended The Promise highly enough. It’s an utter triumph for Emma Heatherington who always has a consistently high standard and that standard rises with each book that she writes.