Cover Image: The Sister-in-Law

The Sister-in-Law

In Pamela Crane’s The Sister-in-Law, the reader is taken into the lives of newlyweds Candace, Lane and his sister Harper as they find themselves all living together after the death of Harper’s husband Ben. But things are not all sunshine and roses and Candace and Harper find themselves at odds vying for Lane’s attention.

This is my second Pamela Crane read and she has delivered another enjoyable and thrilling tale. I love these types of stories which always pull me in and have me caught up in the drama. I thought the added mystery surrounding Ben’s death really strengthened the story as it becomes apparent there is more to his death than first thought.

While the story started as a slow burn, what I did appreciate is how Pamela Crane didn’t waste time in showcasing the animosity between Candace and Harper. It is right there from the get go and through their alternating chapters, they each try to win you over to their side of the argument.Their spats, although at times appear childish and harmless to begin with, are nonetheless very entertaining.

If you are a fan of domestic thriller novels that center around a family with a mystery to also solve, then this book should appeal to you. It is a well written twisty tale that as it progresses, ramps up for a more thrilling second half as secrets are exposed and all is laid out. I thought the outcome was well done and tied everything up nicely.

Thank you to Pamela Crane, Avon Books and Netgalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Sister-in-Law, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
The title made me very curious, I did expect family drama but knowing Pamela and her superb creativity, she will make you think and ask what’s going on, this story is intense and provocative. Definitely a one sitting read!
The description of this book on Goodreads is so incorrect, it is not funny. It is criminal. Yes, this book is about 2 sisters-in-law. But the dynamic of the relationship and the escalation of the suspense is all wrong.

Candace is the wife of Lane. They only just got married and moved in together. But here comes Lane's sister Harper with her 2 unruly kids and suitcases. Harper's husband's just died and she does not want or can afford to stay in the marital home and has no job or income to support her self. So, off to the brother's she goes.

Harper and Lane and even their mother is a very spooky family (not in Adams' way). They are very close-nit trio ready and able to do anything to protect themselves and each other. Candace is their match. She is ready and is able to do anything to protect herself and he newly found love and security.

Whom to like? Whom to hate? Whom to barrack for or against? Well, The Sister-in-Law would not have been a thriller if all those lines would be clearly drawn. I have no idea. Allegiances kept changing with every page. But all in all, this thriller is amazing. It is suspenseful, dark, twisting and rolling. You can hardly stop once you start.

Be prepared to be slapped in your face once you decide to like and feel for one of the characters. All the people in this book, including kids, are so faulty... it makes for a good thriller.
A great story which is very twisted! Lots to keep you hooked in, be prepared to not put this down while you work out what is going on...
What a wild ride with a tragically dysfunctional family. Style is different but works. Told from the perspective of Harper - the sister, Candace the sister in law and Lane, the brother. Clever. Didn’t see the ending coming! Definitely an author to watch!
Harper mother of two young kids finds herself in an unfortunate predicament when she discovers the body of her husband, Ben who has apparently committed suicide. Her brother Lane helps her to stage the death as murder instead of suicide to get the insurance payment. Later she comes across Candace, Lane's newlywed wife when she moves to her brother's house. Harper and Candace do not get along well and were constantly at loggerheads with each other. Both of them were trying to out the skeletons in each other's closet. Both of them always eye each other with suspicion. It is a story of betrayal and revenge.

The book has an excellent opening but got sluggish in the middle and only picked up in the last few chapters. I had to push myself to finish it. I liked how the book is written with three different points of views with each trying to justify their actions. Harper, a grieving widow is trying to come to terms with her husband's death and his supposed infidelity. Her grief felt palpable. Candace is a compulsive liar who can go to any extent to get things done her way. Even though you can see glimpses of kindness in her but most of the time she comes across as a self-serving person who wants to get everything that has been denied to her throughout her life. Lane a loyal brother and a loving husband is caught between his sister and wife. None of the characters is likeable enough for you to form a bond with them and empathise with them despite their flaws. I saw the final twist coming halfway through the book, so the twists and turns were not enough for me.
This is the first book that I read by Pamela Crane and it definitely won’t be the last.

Harper comes home to find her husband, Ben, dead on the sofa. A suicide letter has been left blaming Harper for the way things have turned out.  Rather than call the police Harper phones her brother, Lane.

Realising there will be no insurance payout if Ben’s death is classified as a suicide, Harper and Lane stage a break-in to make it look like murder.

With no where else to go Harper turns to Lane and she and her two children move in with Lane and his new wife, Candace.  Soon the trouble between wife and sister-in-law begins.  As well as the arguments and sniping there is also the police investigation into Ben’s death.

Will the truth come out ? What is the whole truth ?

This is a great book with an explosive start.  The characters are really brought to life and there are plenty of twists and turns before the truth is finally revealed.

Thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
Harper Paris has returned home to find her husband, Ben, dead on the couch with a knife sticking out of his chest.  Ben has left her a suicide note saying he blames her and himself.  Knowing his $3 million life insurance won’t pay out for suicide, Harper calls her brother, Lane, a nurse, to come help her.  They stage it as a break-in and murder.

Harper needs to rent their large home as she doesn’t have a job and has no money.  So she takes her two children, Elise, 10, and Jackson to stay at Lane’s house.  Ah, but he has recently married a much younger woman named Candace who looks and acts like a hippy.

Candace is furious that Lane has invited his family to move in with them when they are essentially still on their honeymoon.  She and Harper are very open about their animosity toward one another.  Harper is a neat freak and Candace is a slob.  Elise is loud and Jonathan is a strange child who has had lots of counseling in the past.

Living in the same house, both Candace and Harper take turns trying to extend the hand of friendship that only becomes hatred again when one or the other ticks them off.

Harper is facing a lot of grief in her life but desperately trying to keep her family on an even keel.  Ben’s death comes on top of yet another recent loss for her which makes keeping her sanity very difficult.  Candace has also faced some difficult times in her life which has hardened her.  Elise is a typical little girl but Jackson has some serious mess going on in his head.  Lane is an easily led man who just wants to make everyone happy.  When we get the whole family together each with their own secrets, there is enough friction to cause a massive explosion and when it does explode, you will be shocked.  What a terrifically compelling book of greed, grief, and hatred.  Don’t miss it!

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I’m freaking BLOWN AWAY by this book!!! This is everything I want from first person perspectives! And I LOVE getting that from three characters! Mostly told from the sisters-in-law, I didn’t know who to cheer for and who to boo! It changed with every chapter! And with every chapter, I got some of the best quotes! I loved the unraveling with the flashbacks and the WTF moments! I honestly didn’t know who to trust, who to love, who to hate, who to pity, who to trust, etc... Pamela Crane knocked it out of the ballpark with this masterpiece!!!
Twelve stars from me!!!
With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital arc of this book, all opinions expressed here are my own.

The Sister-In-Law by Pamela Crane is the first book I have read by this author.

Harper’s husband is dead but was it suicide or murder? Her brother Lane is a newlywed but does he actually know anything about his with Candace? Along with Harper’s two children they are all (un)happily sharing one house putting a strain on relationships from every direction.

Unfortunately I don’t think this book was for me. I found a lot of it rather boring and then when twists after twist arrived I felt the links to be unrealistic and over the top. Others will probably find this more to there taste, and I would like to try this author’s work again. An average three star read for me.
Candace marries Andrew and with that takes on his strange sister. Lane is the sister in law that has been doing everything for her brother since her own husband’s mysterious death.

This book is pacy, chilling and a great domestic thriller.

The characters are well written but I did not want to be in any of their situations!

Definitely a great read
I found this one a bit convoluted, tbh. The story itself is not bad- although there are some cliches- but it ends up getting confusing, with perhaps too many characters with secret agendas....

It's well written, as usual for this author, but not my favorite of hers.

I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
I didn't enjoy this book. I didn't like any of the characters. I just didn't care what happened to them. This book wasn't for me.
Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for giving me the opportunity to read this book
Another great read by Pamela Crane!   The Sister-in-Law is about three main characters - Harper who recently lost her husband, Lane her brother and Lane's new wife Candace.   Harper and Candace could not be more different and when Harper and her two children move in with the happy newlyweds things only get worse.   It seems that Harper never really knew her husband at all.   Was his death a suicide or did someone actually murder him.   The story keeps you guessing until the very end!   Thank you Netgalley for the early copy!
A terrific page turner with enough twists and turns to keep me guessing, I stayed up late into the night to finish this book. The author didn't waste time on lengthy descriptions, but kept up the pace of the story throughout, cleverly changing our minds about the possible motive as the story progressed.
This one started off with a bang, then I felt like there was a lull for 65% of the book. By the end I was hooked again, but the middle portion just left me bored and in a "am I close to the end yet?" frame of mind. Character development is definitely critical, however I felt like things could have progressed a tad quicker.

I enjoyed the plot, the harsh differences between characters yet their immense love for each other shining through, and that the ending kept me on my toes. This definitely made me grateful for my drama-free relationship with my sister-in-law.

Thank you to Net Galley, Pamela Crane, and Avon books for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
The Sister-in-Law is a gripping story about the frailty of family and a battle of wills between a wife and a sister-in-law, hellbent on revenge. The Wife: Lane won Candace's heart over chocolate martinis and karaoke. But weeks into their whirlwind marriage, Candace realized Lane came with burdensome baggage in the form of his possessive live-in sister and her eerily watchful six-year-old son. Lane had a secret that seemed to hold him hostage, and Candace would do anything to uncover it. The Sister-in-Law: Harper was the kind of woman who cooked homemade meals and dusted under the furniture. It was the least she could do for her brother after her husband's mysterious death, and Lane took her and her kids in. Then Candace showed up like a tornado passing through, threatening and destructive. But Harper had other plans for her new "sister," plans Lane could never find out about. The Husband: All Lane had ever wanted was a white-picket-fence life. The wife. The two-point-five kids. The happy little family.

Everything seemed to be falling into place with Candace until Harper's jealous streak got in the way, again. But choosing between his sister and wife would be costly and knowing Harper, the price would be blood. This is one psychotic sister that will not let her brother slip through her hands no matter what the cost may be. This is a captivating, enthralling and well written domestic-based thriller and Crane’s best and most ambitious book to date. It's so often that the obsessive and/or possessive character in a story is a man using his power horribly and in a controlling manner over a woman that's it's interesting to see the tables turned. It's even weirder that this controlling and toxic relationship is between a brother and sister rather than those in a romantic relationship. It's, at its heart, a tale of extreme revenge and the mindset ”if I cannot have him then no one can”. This is an addictive, riveting and deeply unsettling story and one that holds you in its vice-like grip from the very beginning.
This was my first book by Pamela Crane and it definitely won’t be the last because this was freaking awesome. I really enjoyed the multiple points of view because I was able to see what each character was feeling and thinking.

I actually really liked Candace especially when she would stand up for herself against Harper. She made me laugh a lot and I found her very intriguing. I absolutely could not stand Harper one single little bit. I found her to be stuck up and really judgemental. I wasn’t surprised that her mother was exactly the same.

I never predicted that ending but oh boy was it brilliant. I love how the author was like oh look over there when in actual fact I should have been looking at what was right in front of me the whole time. This was a great story and I can’t wait to see what is next.

I recieved an advanced copy for free, and this is my honest opinion.
3.5 stars
This is a good read.
Harper arrives home to find her husband dead. It looks to be a suicide but she calls her brother for help as she doesn’t know what to do.
They both realise the life insurance won't pay out if his death is by suicide so Lane makes it look like a break in gone wrong.
Harper then turns up on Lane’s doorstep asking to stay with him with her two children as well. Unbeknownst to her, Lane has married Candace after a bit if a whirlwind romance.
The two women couldn’t be much more different and clash almost immediately.
It’s clear we don’t know the whole truth and it was good how it all slowly unravelled through the story.
Thanks to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
The Sister-in-Law by Pamela Crane is a solid 4 star read, although it was a bit of a slow burner for me.  That being said, well-written, complex characters and an intriguing premise certainly kept me turning the pages.

When Candace marries Lane, she has no idea that his sister Harper and her children will be a part of the domestic package.  Harper's husband Ben has died under mysterious circumstances, and she must rely on her brother Lane to see her through this difficult time.  Soon Lane is caught between a wife and a sister, whose dislike of each other is very much apparent from the very start.  There is not room for three in this marriage, particularly when secrets and jealousies pervade the domestic tableau.

While I did not find any of these characters to be particularly sympathetic, I was engaged enough to see it all through, and would be interested to read more from this author in the future.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for an ARC of this title.