Cover Image: The Push (Sampler)

The Push (Sampler)

One of the best books I have read this year!
The sampler was so good it made me buy the whole book as it just left me wanting more!
Great book that drew me in from the start.
I got a sample from this and really wish I could have gotten the whole book, since it is so gripping and intense.
I love books about motherhood and especially ones that do not romanticize it. This is exactly up my alley in that regard.
Similar to some other books I've read lately on the topic, the protagonist Blythe falls in love, gets married and decides to have a baby with her husband, although being unsure whether she even wants to be a mother.
It is pretty clear that this decision was fueled by societal expectation, not her own desire.
Things unravel from there with her anxieties wrapping her in a claustrophobic atmosphere, where we are often unsure if this is reality, or just her own reality.
I am a huge fan of the honest and unapologetic thoughts she shares, which feel brave to admit and strip her naked leaving nothing more than her vulnerabilities.
I will give it 3 stars, since I have not read the whole thing, but have a feeling this deserves more.
This feels like a gripping read. The sample draws you in and leaves you wanting more. I love the quote on the first page, it really sets the tone of the book. The writing is very well done, allowing me to easily read and become absorbed. This is a book I know will Have me turning the pages!
I had heard about this book from friends so I was interested to read the sample, I found it very gripping and really really want to keep reading! I will purchase this book as soon as possible, the start really grabbed my interest
An interesting read indeed. Thought provoking and the sampler leaves you wanting more. It will be a book that raises issues to discuss like motherhood and what that entails, and what happens when people do not conform to the norm . Definitely will buy to read more.
All set up to be a really intriguing psychological thriller! That this was just one side of the story opens up so many questions about how this is going to play out. Mother and child relationships and all the complexity that comes along with it, Very much looking forward to reading the whole book!
One of the best books I have read in a very long time. It kept me on the edge of my seat and it was a first book from the author but absolutely exceptional. I have recommended it to many colleagues and friends and they have all loved it; a great one for a book club or book conversation between friends. Although I had a feeling I knew what would happen at the end, that didn't take away from the book. I felt the main character's emotions, I disliked her daughter. I mourned her son. This book will stay with me for a long time. A bit like A Little Life which was a totally different genre. I am now struggling to find a good thriller as a follow up.
I've only read the sampler but it did as was intended, totally drew me into this story of motherhood in all its complexities. It sets the scene for questioning how much we can attribute to nature vs nurture and the ripples that pervade through generations. Definitely intrigued to keep reading.
So good, purchased the full copy. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for early accession exchange for an honest review
I received a 1 chapter sample - and let me tell you I was hooked. I was so enthralled by the story I forgot I'd only requested a sampler and just wanted to read the rest! I will be definitely purchasing the book as soon as I can.My favourite aspect was the writing style and the second person narrative (it's my favourite in thrillers). I expect the full novel will be extremely thought provoking, as there are hints of themes such as the nature of evil and the struggles of parenthood.
Kindly sent from the publishing team for an honest review.. I only received a sampler.

I cannot give my full review on this as I only received a select few pages. It was OK written and descriptive so I can imagine the scene as I read it, there is no climax or pivotal point that makes me think something has happened yet apart from the last page of sampler that reads This is my side of the story.
I've read other reviews giving high praise for this book so I can only assume it is good so will consider purchasing it so I can read it fully
This was a 6 page sampler so I can't surmise for the rest of the book but I was hooked within the first couple of pages. The way the author describes the family scene that the narrator is watching really grabbed me. I love authors that can effectively use descriptive language and recreate vivid scenes full of emotion in the reader's mind, capturing their full attention. This author managed to do that for me in 6 pages and thus, I'm keen to read on and will be putting this book on my purchase list.
Teased by a 1 chapter sampler leaving you on
'This is my side of the story'

Definitely intrigued and looking foward to reading.
I love psychological thrillers and this will be one of my top books of the year. I read this in 2 days as it really gripped me from the start.
The story is about a mother who doesn't bond with her child. The question throughout the book is whether the mother is actually mentally unstable or whether there is something not quite right with the child. It reminded me a lot of 'We need to talk about Kevin' which is one of my favourite books of all time. I found this quite a harrowing read but I read it in 2 days as all the twists meant I couldn't put it down!
This sample was very short, so it is difficult to say much about it.

However, reading this sample definitely gave me a lot of questions which made me want to read on. Furthermore, I loved that the sample ended with: "This is my side of the story". That line grabs the attention of the reader and creates intrigue. I would love to keep reading!

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph UK for a sampler of this book.
This short sample was well written and intriguing, although not long enough to really understand much. I'd like to know how the story develops.
I love books about motherhood, particularly unconventional and even disturbing relationships between mother and child, so this sounds exactly the sort of thing I'd love. So far so good though I wish the sample was a little longer. I'm not sure how I feel about the second person narration at the start but it's definitely made me want to read the whole novel!
Wow this is only a sampler with a few chapters and I am hooked!  It is disturbing to read about the mother’s thoughts and behavior towards her child and yet I couldn’t look away.  I cannot wait to read the rest of the book!  Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher, and author for a gifted copy.  This is my honest review.
The Push is a chilling depiction of mother-child relationships and how they can go horribly wrong. What I really loved about this book was the short chapters along with Blythe's raw and honest feelings towards her daughter and then those towards her son. You also get glimpses of Blythe's mother, Cecilia and her upbringing as well as Cecilia's mother, Etta and her upbringing. The trials and tribulations each woman goes through clearly affects her parenting style and it is chilling to think that people actually go through the horrors depicted in this novel.

I don't want to give too much away but I found myself siding with Blythe the whole time, I wanted everyone to believe her. And wow was that ending so perfect! If you like character driven psychological thrillers then this is the book for you!
I’ve read a number of reviews of this title and was keen to discover more for myself. This sampler has certainly left me wanting to read more of Audrain’s writing. Such a tense and chilling extract of what looks to be an excellent read.

Many thanks to Penguin Michael Joseph UK and NetGalley for the sampler.