Cover Image: Circle of Doubt

Circle of Doubt

As a keen follower of Tracy Buchanan I was really looking forward to reading her latest novel as none of them have ever disappointed me. She is a mistress of emotional reading with a gripping psychological twist. Circle of Doubt is another triumph! Emma and Dele have moved to Forrest Grove, an elite urban village, worlds apart from her previous city dwelling. Emma struggles with friendships and relies on her sister to lead the way. She hits a rocky start when taking her adopted daughter to school when she collides with the very vocal school mums on the playground. She is horrified to realise one of the mums looks like her daughter's biological mum and when she befriends her she has lots of doubts about her identity.  I love how gripping this book is, I struggled to put it down and read it into the early hours. Tracy makes the characters so realistic and it is very easy to empathise. As to be expected there are a lot of twists and turns which I love. Certainly, one to add to the reading list!
This is a good solid suspense novel.   I liked the characters, the story, and the twists.    However, I kept waiting for a "wow" but didn't get it.   If I could go back, would I still read this book?  yes, of course - its a good book.  But will  I be calling up my bestie saying "you have to read this"?    Probably not.

I do want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
Circle of Doubt by Tracy Buchanan (@tracybuchananauthor) is a gripping novel about two mothers fighting for a child. Emma adopted Isla nine years ago. A new family moves into Emma’s neighborhood and the mother, Tatjana, looks like the birth mother of Isla. What follows next are the motherhood follies of Emma and how Tatjana comes to the rescue of Isla every time. Emma is afraid that she will lose Isla to Tatjana and Tatjana is determined to separate Isla from Emma.

The suspense held well until the end of the book. The author masterfully convinced the readers about the motives of the characters and added unexpected twists. A nice drama novel that makes you feel better about your own life unless there is a mom in your neighborhood who looks like the mom of your adoptive child.

Thank you to @netgalley and @amazonpublishing for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Category: Thriller
Publication Date: Jan 2021
This book should come with a warning: Assume Reading at Your Own Risk! YIKES!!
Imagine being caught in the fake news scandal but this time it's between your own parents -Poor Isla!
What will she become when everyone keeps fighting to maintain control over here? After all, she's only 11 years old with her whole life ahead of her.
Capturing this dangerous slippery slope of doubt, betrayal, lies, and hypocrisy is several masterminds who are skilled craftsmen at gaslighting with manipulation.
Enter Emma and Dele who are simply loving and living life with their beautiful daughter.
That's until Tatjana comes on scene with striking resemblance to Isla their girl.
Now many wonder is she the birth mom? Could she be back to take her daughter away from her loving family?
What part of Jade Dixon needs dissecting is complex and multi-faceted with numerous sideways motions. She's quite the gal with plenty of secrets and more than enough pain to last a lifetime and now she's missing.
What?? What does Jade and Tatjana have in common? Could one of these two be the real mother?
Fake emails, missing letters, rumors galore, with some dead birds in the front of the car's grills have now become common place. Are these gals nuts?! WTH??
Perhaps it's a scare tactic?
As readers are enticed to learn more Tracy Buchanan throws many road blocks and gates that need to be hurdled.
For example there's another reason Emma may not want to pursue too much all at once. That reason wraps around one central individual who is no longer with us and was deeply embedded part of this family unit.
The family seems to be sworn into secrecy on behalf of Emma to keep the trouble -low key!
She could face prison time if the truth becomes exposed or if one of these other two gals finds out and exposes reality.
Lawrence is Tatjana's main squeeze but he's not romantic whatsoever and is quite the opposite-he's abusive. He's been abusing her for some time and everyone including Emma is trying to persuade her to get out and get help.
Will she take the advice and leave him once and for all?
As the truth is exposed the ending of this story picks up steam and goes full throttle.
Drug addiction is awful!
Yet, love is the perfect medicine!
From an addiction to a successful business woman and now married mother. Who knew?!
Good for her and good for them. Justice is on the good side! Let Justice Prevail!
Thank you to Tracy, the pub, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Another winner by Tracy Buchanan. I am a sucker for any book that takes place in a quaint little town and I now dream of moving to Forest Grove! Suspenseful and fast paced, this book kept me guessing the entire time! A definite must read.
Set in the fictional village of Forest Grove, Circle of Doubt centres on Dele and Emma Okoru, the adoptive parents of ten-year-old Isla. They have a good life... until a new family moves into the area and Emma is convinced that one of the new mothers on the school run is Isla's birth mum. With her suspicions growing, things start to go awry and her parenting abilities are brought into question. As Dele doubts her concerns, a troubled Emma turns to her sister Harriet for support, but things only worsen when secrets from her past emerge.

This book has a very strong start. The story is told in a dual narrative, the first being the unreliable narrator Emma, who is sharing the daily unfolding of events as she struggles to fit in with Forest Grove life and the other mothers. The second narrative is a series of 'letters' to Isla, where someone disparages Isla’s 'pretend' parents. Snippets from Facebook group posts are also interspersed. Tracy Buchanan did a great job with the pacing and Circle of Doubt contains some intriguing elements in the storyline, dealing with emotion, manipulation and malice, but also redemption. This gripping novel is well-written, packed with mystery and contains some excellent character portrayal. A clever, compelling tale I'm immensely pleased to have read.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Amazon Publishing UK, Lake Union Publishing via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This book was phenomenal! I think my thriller-loving heart will keep this one with me for a long time.
I read this in one day, because I just couldn’t put it down. I HAD to know what was going on!
i just lost interest in this book and am prob never gonna read it but it looks rly cute so i hope someone enjoys it i just lost interest in this book and am prob never gonna read it but it looks rly cute so i hope someone enjoys it
I enjoyed Wall of Silence, so I thought I may like this one as well. I thought Circle of Doubt would be more of a thriller, but instead found it to be a petty fiction women's drama book about a bunch of bad gossipy suburban people . It felt like a bunch of other books I've read before and I'm sure I will completely forget what this book was about. I gave it two stars because of the two twists toward the end, which I had already guessed were coming, but it was still made the book more enjoyable.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Definitely a thriller that kept the suspense through its rapid pacing.  Loved the use of several narrators as well as the inclusion of Facebook conversations between members of the exclusive Mums of Forest Grove.  Emma and her husband Dele adopted a daughter, Isla, when she was two.  They have recently relocated to the picturesque town of Forest Grove.  Emma is experiencing awkwardness trying to fit in with the other mothers.  Interactions between the moms was catty but also seemed very realistic.  A new couple moves in and immediately Emma feels threatened, thinking that Tatjana eerily resembles Isla’s birth mother.  And with that the idyllic life in Forest Grove is turned upside down.  The Mums become involved and everything escalates.  Secrets slowly are brought to light causing more drama.  Kudos to Tracy Buchanan for keeping the tension high and the pacing tight.  I totally enjoyed the suspense.  Many thanks to Tracy Buchanan, Kindle Edition, and NetGalley for affording me the opportunity to read this recently published book.  Looking forward to more from this author.
I loved the cover and wanted to love the book but I didn't. I could not connect to the characters and felt that       I had read this plot before in many different ways.

I would still recommend this to thriller fans.

Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for my ARC.
Ever since Emma, Dele, and their adopted 10 year old daughter Isla moved to Forest Grove, Emma has always felt like an outsider with the other mothers. It doesn't help that she is shy, introverted and has a full-time job, which is frowned upon by some of the mothers. When a wealthy new family moves into the tight-knit community, Emma is shocked at how Tatjana strongly resembles Isla. Tatjana, her husband Lawrence, and their two young boys are quickly embraced by the residents. But all too soon strange, unnerving things begin to happen to Emma. She's convinced that Tatjana will do whatever is necessary to get Isla back. When Dele doubts her concerns and theories, Emma feels more alone than ever. With her sister Harriet's help she's determined to expose Tatjana, before she has the chance to expose Emma's deep, dark secret.

This is my first time reading this author's work and I really enjoyed this book. The small community of Forest Grove has it's shares of gossipers and a clique-y mother's group, which time and time again excludes and isolates Emma. She has her suspicions of Tatjana being Isla's birth mother but no one believes her. She's also dealing with mysterious rumors and issues with Isla's school making her look forgetful and a workaholic. This book was a page-turner for me with all the twists and turns. I am looking forward to reading more books from this author.

Thank you Netgalley, Amazon Publishing UK and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read this book.
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely love that we got another Forest Grove read! I didn't immediately make the connection, but I really enjoyed 'Wall of Silence', and this one topped that! It doesn't continue on so both books can be read as standalones but I do hope Buchanan writes more! Developing the stories of characters we have already been introduced to is something that makes me very excited for further books!
Sinister events, scandal, juicy gossip, lies, a fast-moving plot, relatable characters, drama, clever writing, suspense, and plenty of twists and turns, what more could you want??
Can't wait for the next!
Convinced that the new woman in town is her adopted daughter Isla's birth mother trying to steal her back, Emma faces strange occurrences and increasing hostility from the crunchy mommy crowd in idyllic Forest Grove.

This book has a lot of wild twists that kept me guessing and was quite a fun read. I love the way the author set the stage in believable Forest Grove (apparently this is the second book set there, but it is not necessary to have read the first). Isla seemed like a sweet and adorable kid, and the other characters were well written too.

Note: I received a free eBook copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second books set in Forest Grove from Tracy Buchanan, however both are stand alone books. When Tat and Lawrence move to the forest community, Emma wonders if Tat is her adopted daughter's birth mother due to the similarities.
Is Emma being paranoid or is something there? Emma has struggled to fit in to the community in Forest Grove but Tat manages it so quickly and takes a shine to Isla.
There is a lot going on with the storylines of adoption, secrets and Emma's past to contend with but this is a nice easy read with a good twist at the end.
The blurb 'She thought she was the perfect mother—until the new neighbours moved in.

Emma and Dele’s dreams came true nine years ago when they adopted their daughter, Isla. It felt like fate, like they were meant to find each other, and now they’re living the life they always wanted. But then one day a new family moves into Forest Grove—and Emma can’t shake the chilling feeling that the wife looks just like Isla’s birth mother.
Emma tells herself that this sophisticated stranger can’t possibly be the troubled woman she remembers from the adoption. But as they get to know each other and it becomes clear that Tatjana has a special interest in Isla, her suspicions grow.
When small things start to go wrong and her parenting abilities are brought into question, Emma feels undermined, turning to her sister Harriet for support. But things only spiral further when secrets from her past suddenly resurface.
With rumours swirling, Emma begins to doubt herself. Could Tatjana be Isla’s birth mother? And, with everything that’s happening, is Emma the right person to be raising her daughter at all?'

This book was so good, really well written, great plot and interesting twists.  I didn't guess the ending which is always great.  I read this overnight,  I just couldn't put it down........   in fact I enjoyed it so much I went ahead and purchased two more of the authors' books to enjoy!

I would like to say a huge thank you to Netgalley,  Amazon UK and Lake Union Publishing and Tracy Buchanan for being kind enough to allow me to read an early copy of Circle of Doubt,  I really enjoyed and appreciated it.
When Tatjana moves to town, Emma's life is turned on its side. While Tatjana befriends Emma, she seems overly interested in Emma's adopted daughter Isla. Emma suspects she is Jade, Isla's birth mother, but can't prove anything other than her gut feeling.

As things start to go wrong, Emma wonders if she is losing her mind or if Tatjana is behind a series of circumspect events.
What a great book. The kind that sucks you in and keeps you interested from page one! Despite thinking I knew who was behind it, I did not see the ending coming! Multiple twists that caught me by surprise. Read it in 24 hours because I just needed to know what happened. An interesting, unique, new storyline from the usual psychological thrillers.
Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for this copy of Circle of Doubt by Tracey Buchanan.

Emma and her family may live in Forest Grove but Emma does not feel like she fits in with the other Forest Grove moms. Emma works, drives her daughter to school instead of walking and isn't big on socializing making her feel like the odd man out. When a new, glamorous neighbor takes interest in Emma she wonders if she's finally found someone who wants to be her friend. Is it friendship that her new neighbor is looking for or something more sinister?

I really enjoyed Circle of Doubt. The characters were very well written and it was easy to picture Forest Grove and it's citizens from the descriptions given. There were plenty of plot twists to keep you interested throughout the book. I really enjoyed the chapters that were written as threads from a private facebook group that were interspersed throughout the book. Those sections really added authenticity to the toxic relationships that the main character experienced with the other moms in Forest Grove. I liked Circle of Doubt so much that I just ordered the first book by Tracy Buchanan set in Forest Grove, Wall of Silence. If that's not an endorsement of a book, I don't know what it.
📣 Review 📣

⭐⭐⭐

Emma and Dele live with their adopted daughter Isla in a quiet village. When a new family moves into Forest Grove, Emma can't shake how similar the wife looks to Isla's birth mother. But this sophisticated, accomplished woman couldn't be the same person who was addicted to drugs? She turns to her sister Harriet for support when strange things happen and she starts to become undermined. Is this her birth mother? And will Emma's secret be unveiled?

My interest in the plot waned in the middle of this book; the residents of Forest Grove are some of the most unlikeable people - essentially nothing short of bullies. I know these people do exist in real life, but there seemed very little contrast. There was a few twists in this book, one of which I didnt see. The book also left questions unanswered (the picture Emma found...) that didn't make sense to the plot line.

Overall I did like this book, but it just left me wanting a little more. What the middle of the book lacked, the last few chapters made up for

Thanks to @netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.