Cover Image: Why Do Cats Do That?

Why Do Cats Do That?

Loved this informative little book. Will be buying copies come Christmas as stocking fillers for the cat mad members of my family.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
Informative and funny short read which answers a great many questions for cat owners everywhere.  Thanks for the opportunity to read
I love cats! So this book definitely caught my eye. For the experienced cat lover, this book won't shed much new light on cast behaviors, but this would be a good book for a young person or anyone new to sharing life with a kitty.

Thank you to Booksgosocial and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
If you have a cat - this book is for you! It poses, and answers, some of the questions about cats that have intrigued and puzzled us for years!
It's an okay book that will teach you a few new things about your feline friend. I definitely wanted a bit more research and explanations, or at least some fun tidbits to entertain me. Overall, not a bad book at all.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  This would be a good book for someone who has been adopted recently by a cat or wants to be adopted by a cat and would like to know the reasons behind certain behaviours.  We kitties, of course, like to retain an air of mystery, but find it better if our minions make the effect to understand why we do things.

It is written in a simple way that even a human can understand and would be a good addition to any feline library.

Four purrs and two paws up.
This little book of questions and answers was a delight. The author was able to shed light on many of the interesting behaviors of our feline friends. If you have ever asked yourself why is my cat doing that, there is a good chance that an answer can be found in this book. Don't be surprised if this book makes you want to learn even more about the kitties in your life!
I enjoyed reading this book because I always wonder why my cat does certain things. This book is fun and informative at the same time. I will definitely check out the first book to read more.
This book was sooo good! As an owner of two cats, I found this book to be helpful not just in terms of what one cat alone does, but how two cats living in the same house interact and what those interactions mean.
Really liked this book. It was very informative and well written. Some parts were also very relatable and funny.

Not sure this book is well suited for children. Found the language often quit difficult and one questions answer was way too mature in my opinion.
As a relatively new cat owner I found this book really interesting, lots of little things that either I didn't know or hadn't thought about. My 8 year old son is a big animal lover and really enjoyed it too.

It's a nice easy read, you can dip in and out of different places if you want to, or read through in full. It gives you reasons for why cats have certain behaviours, and why they do certain things.

I love finding out why my cat loves tiny dark places (to make them feel safe from predators), or why they like going in paper bags or boxes (to practice pouncing and hunting prey, as well as being a nice dark space)

I think it would be a lovely present for a late primary school child or an absolute cat lover.

Thanks to Netgalley for an copy in return for an honest review.
How many times have you caught your cat looking at you. The face they are making says “I want to kill you’. Well this book doesn’t answer that question. However it answers every other question you or the kids could ever come up with. Very snappy answers . The only down side to this book is that there are no pictures. To me that would have made all the difference. My kids would have loved this with images. As is it, you will probably flip through the book once and never pick it up again.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book
As a crazy cat lady I really enjoyed reading this book.
I read while one of my cats lay on my lap cleaning herself.
I liked that it gave answers to several questions that are asked a lot.
My cats go against type, they enjoy getting their belly rubbed.
Also they are talkative Russian Blues.
Informative and fun read.
Quick read of questions and answers about why cats so what they do. I’ve had cats for nearly 20 years and learned some new things from this book like how cats have scent glands in their feet and will scratch on things to mark their territory.
cat facts

I liked this book about cats. It was fun to read why cats do what they do. I never realized they purred when they were angry or hurt, I just though they purred when they were happy. I learned a few other things I never thought about. I think it would be a good book to purchase for a grandchild to teach about cats. One of those read aloud books when you are reading to them.

Was an enjoyable afternoon read.

Thanks to Peter Scottsdale, BooksGoSocial, and NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy for an honest review.
As an cat mom of 5 I enjoyed reading this book,
but missed some illustrations in the book to make the book so much better.
I was given a complimentary copy of Why Do Cats Do That? by Peter Scottsdale through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a fun, quick read full of information about cats. If you've ever wondered something about your feline overlord, this book probably has the answer! And if it doesn't? Well sorry, they are mysterious creatures. We can't know everything.

While this is written with middle grade level kids in mind, it's absolutely not too "young" or simplified for older or more advanced readers. I'm in my 30s and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I even learned a few things, like the existence of the Jacobson's organ. I knew cats smelled things differently and that the goofy smelling face was the cat getting more information than a human could possibly get from smell, but I didn't know the anatomy behind that. The more you know, right?

The younger of my two house panthers insists that I point out a missing reason for a puffy tail, though. In the section on why cats do this or that with their tails, all reference to puffy tails talked about surprised, angry or scared cats. Thing Two in this house does this goofy little routine I like to call "Fluffy Freakout Time," which is your typical nocturnal elephant run session, but fully fluffed. I guess that falls under "only the cats know" why they do that.

All in all this was a very fun, quick read and I would recommend it to all animal lovers and domestic cat captives everywhere.
Thanks to Netgalley and Booksgosocial for the early copy of this in exchange for a review.

This was a cute little book. We have 3 cats and I learned a few new things.
Recently, I got my first kitten. I have never had a pet before, so was very interested in the topic of this book. Peter Scottsdale answers all the questions you may have about why your cat is behaving the way it does.  Each answer was short and to the point, but told you all you needed to know. I liked the fact that it wasn’t long winded and was easy to read. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to anyone who has just got a new kitten.
My thanks to the publishers for a review copy of this rather charming guide to why cats do all sorts of things. It is described as a children’s book but much of the advice is more likely to be useful to parents or at any rate people who are responsible for their households and pay for vet services, for example. It’s also quite a good read if you are an adult just interested in cats, although some of the answers given can be a bit repetitive.

It taught me quite a lot about ear and whisker signals. I like the thought of cats ruminating on a decision licking their lips. And I had never before heard of their vomeronasal organ, which provides sensory information somewhere between taste and smell. I’m intrigued to learn that injured cats may purr at a frequency beneficial to adding bone density and promoting self healing.

The English in the book is quite American, so sport and TV allusions passed me by and I spent a while wondering what a fixed cat might be - he’s been neutered!

The book also ends rather suddenly after a very long section on why cats might not be using litter trays provided with vehement exhortations to consult the vet in these circumstances.

Nonetheless it’s a good if quirky read for those of us who are fond of cats.