Cover Image: Touch is Really Strange

Touch is Really Strange

I really liked the concept of the book in theory, but somehow it was not my type of book and I don't think I was the target audience for it. The art itself was quite well done, but the content fell short from what I had hoped for. In any case, touch is important and it is a topic worth discussing during the current pandemic.
Thank you to Jessica Kingsley Publishers for letting me read this in exchange for an honest review.

I decided not to rate this book as I don't like rating non-fiction books. However, as NetGalley doesn't yet allow this I have chosen 3 stars as a middle ground.

This book introduces questions such as the following:
Why can't we tickle ourselves?
How can slow touch convey more powerful emotions than fast touch?
How does touch shape our perception of the world?

As part of the Really Strange series, this graphic novel looks into the power of touch and how complex it really is. Touch has a range of uses, communicating emotions through to helping us feel real. Using it wrong, however, can be abusive.

I thought this was a thought-provoking book and really interesting to think about. A very quick read and I quite liked the colour palette chosen for the art work.
This book was terrible? I was pretty excited about it at first because I think physical touch is SO important. And true, some of the concepts were interesting, but the writing was bad and the general delivery was bad.
The way the pictures were integrated felt awkward and made the book's tone feel more like a text book in a negative way. And yet the actual narrative buoyed between being academic and feelings based. I don't know how to describe it well but it felt not research based, not thought out. Statements are made and not supported. Quotes are dropped in and not explained. The entire thing felt like it didn't know what it was trying to do or who it's audience was. It also seemed to assume the reader's knowledge of language around the subject.

"Passing through the birth canal is probably one of the hardest things we ever did" it says and moves on. In what way? By what standard? That feels objectively false.

"Old people fare worse without touch" is that even written politically correct? Again, support?

Things like these steal the authors credibility.

overall, it felt like a bunch of ideas thrown together without being fleshed out or organized in anyway.
Touch is Really Strange is a graphic novel based on experiences about touch. A surprisingly informative read for a novel based on images, this novel taught me a lot about touch in ways I has never thought to think about before. Thought-provoking and with beautiful art, in a time where social distancing is a must, this is definitely worth picking up.
I really liked the premise of this comic but found the reading experience to not be the best. This is mostly due to the fact that I just could not get the ebook to work on my kindle app so sometimes it was hard to follow the text and see the art properly.

Despite that, I did learn quite a few interesting tidbits. In some instances, I wish we had gone deeper into the scientific and psychological background of what touch does and how it is processed by our brains and stuff like that because that was the part I found the most fascinating.

The art was beautiful and simple, I especially liked the colour palette used, again, I just wish it displayed in a more user friendly way on my reader.
**Disclaimer: I received a free early access copy of Touch is Really Strange by Steve Haines through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for this opportunity.

Touch is Really Strange by Steve Haines is an informative graphic novel about the sense of touch.  It's an interesting read.  It was published on April 21st, 2021.  I rated it three stars on Goodreads.

Here's the summary from Goodreads:

Why can't we tickle ourselves? How can slow touch convey more powerful emotions than fast touch? How does touch shape our perception of the world? The latest addition to the Really Strange Series , this science-based graphic comic addresses these questions and more, revealing the complexity of touch and exploring its power and limits. Used positively, touch can change pain and trauma, communicate compassion and love and generate social bonding. Get it wrong and it can be abusive and terrifying.
Everyone's initial experience of life and existence is tactile and spatial at its core. Before we have language, our concepts are formed as we meet a world full of edges and textures. Touch Is Really Strange celebrates the power of inward touch (interoception) and looks at how we can use skillful contact to promote feelings of joy, connection and vitality inside another. Touch helps us feel real and connected, and is fundamental to the development of consciousness and to perception. Steve Haines' new book teaches us how to safely touch people, not parts of people.

The basic premise of this was really interesting.  I liked how it presented the information in an easy to read format and how it was easy to understand what the author was trying to convey.  It was really informative.  I liked how it talked about how important touch is.

The art style was kind of whimsical, but it was really interesting.  It worked well with the information being presented.  The colour palette was really nice as well.  It was quite interesting.

I will admit that I don't have a lot to say about the graphic novel.  It wasn't super long but it was well done.  It's also not my typical reading topic.  However, it's worth checking out if you're interested in learning more about touch and how important and weird it is.
I received this ARC via Netgalley for an honest opinion.

I wanted an ARC of this for the title alone.  The title is everything, and it's so truthful.
Sadly, I just didn't vibe with the style.  While I was reading it, it felt more like a illustrated textbook then a graphic novel you can learn from.
I was able to read this through NetGalley. I get what she was trying to say about the importance of touch and what covid has done to us with touch. It was very short but not bad.
For such a short graphic novel, it was jam packed with information. The pages were overwhelming and increasingly academic in nature. I found myself unable to absorb every page just by the sheer depth of information on them.
Thank you NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for the arc!

This is definitely not what I was expecting. While it looks like a dramatic graphic novel at first, Touch is Really Strange is actually about the science behind touch. It's essentially an academic book that features beautiful art.

While the subject matter wasn't my thing, Sophie Standing's illustrations kept my attention. There may be only two colours fully utilized, but they're used in a way that showcases tone and meaning behind them.

There are some great bits here, especially when Steve Haines waxes poetic, but overall Touch is Really Strange read too academic for me to feel connected to the "story."
This book explores the sense 'touch'. I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. It's got a lot of facts about, touch and touching which are timely and relevant - given the pandemic and our need to social distance. At times it became a bit too science-y for me, as there are a lot of facts and references to other works. However, generally this is offset by the beautiful, sensual illustrations. The exercises to explain how the body processes touch are fascinating and it challenged my assumptions of this area. Definitely one to read again.
Touch is Really Strange by Steve Haines is a very informative book that taught me more about touch. I was able to get insight into the reasons why touch is so important and this book fit so well with the timeframe we are currently in. As the reader, I was given articles but also engagement with this short graphic novel. The illustrations are beautiful and tie together so well with the topic of touch. There were moments that had me thinking about my own experiences with touch. I would recommend this for readers that would like a lesson on touch through a simplified academic perspective and beautiful illustrations.
It's a brief but interesting book with a curious style of illustration.  The thought being discussed is how much (in times past) humans have relied on touch as a method of greeting, of comfort, and now much now (in the time of Covid), all the things that many took for granted become signs of danger and contagion.

The book doesn't go into great depth with the nature of things, but it makes the clear point that touch is indeed one of the senses by which we (humans) most define our reality, if you can touch something, it becomes real, and if you can't touch it, is it real?  We have been starved for the closeness that most of us crave, and now comes the question of whether or not it's something that we can get back, or indeed, if it's something that we want to get back.

There's a few exercises in the book about exploring touch with others, but also a number of warnings about how touch can be inappropriate, and while I can see why a caution would be appropriate for some, it struck me as being at odds with the general message of touch being something essential to most people.

Doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the book, interesting and particularly relevant in a world where most of us have been denied it for a very long time.
This was a very interesting perception on what touch is. I really liked what the author said about the different types of touch. It made me look at it quite differently, and positively. I felt as though it was a bit repetitive, but it wasn't necessarily annoying. Luckily, I thought the art was phenomenal. The illustrations where calming and helpful. Overall, this was a fast and peaceful read that I recommend to anyone feeling nervous or angry.

(Thank you Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for providing me with an eARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)
'Touch is Really Strange' is the latest addition to the Really Strange Series. Told in the form of graphic novels, this book addresses the question of how we perceive touch and explores the power of touch and also it's limits. This was a fairy informative book that doesn't just give you the facts, but also brings in real life scenarios to get it's point across. It touches on real-life events that are currently happening such as the coronavirus-- how that is limiting our ability to touch--and discusses the MeToo movement as well. The illustrations used throughout this graphic novel are beautiful and really elevates the layout of information visually.

Thank you NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for this advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book was interesting. I learned quite a bit about the psychological and physiological implications of touch, some obvious and others remarkable. The version I received was clearly not the final edit, but I still enjoyed it.
Touch is Really Strange by Steve Haines is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in mid-April.

Touch as a form of acknowledgment, compassion, yet also fearful and dangerous. It's sensory communication with the world outside of us under the pressures of social norms and hastened affection, but made earlier through therapeutic bodywork and self-centering. I especially love this comic's really warm tones and loosely lined renderings of modern bodies.
This graphic novel was really amazing. During a time where I can’t even ask for a hug from friends because I’m scared to bring back COVID to my parents, my mental health has been at an all time low. It’s good to see that physical contact is something we need to stay happy and sane in this world. I loved the art style and how the story flowed. The resources as the bottom are a great touch as well. Overall a great graphic novel. I’d love to has this in my collections.
I really enjoyed this book. The graphics, for one, were gorgeous. I loved how the colour represented different feelings, and situations. I found the information provided in the book very interesting. It was fascinating to learn about touch, how our bodies perceive it, how it works, and why we need and like touch. I think this book would be great for anyone interested in touch and physical connection. The information was so fascinating and the art was absolutely beautiful. It is definitely a great read.
It’s interesting to see a book about exploring the world of “touch” and how any of us can’t do that at the moment due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak. It does good to show the different types of excercises you can do with someone and it gives references on what other news outlets have said regarding touch.  However I would have liked if this book distinguished more of what the differences are to what is a bad/ good touch to bring more awareness. For example, exploring more of touch with and without consent should have been added to the graphic novel.

It’s a fair enough book but there were a few puzzle pieces missing from it...

Thanks Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for supplying me this graphic novel!