Cover Image: Edie’s Home for Strays

Edie’s Home for Strays

The story of land girl Edie and her journey through the war, she was hoping to go abroad for her war work, but ended up been a land girl In a sleepy village. After taking a stray she wants to look after other stray animals. I love reading this era and stories of the land girls. A great read really enjoyed it.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

Just finished

Edie, hoping to serve overseas in the war is saddened when she’s not able to, but instead is being sent to be a Land Girl in a village in Cumbria.

There, Prue, whose house she’ll be staying in has closed herself off from the world since her son signed up.

After Edie, two children arrive at the house, and Edie is heartbroken to see how they’ve been brought there.

Not long after, it seems the evacuees are taking in more strays, puppy’s, horses, kittens etc. Even Prue is finding it hard to say no.

Then Edie, thinks that Applefield Manor may be able to become a home for those that have been dealt a hard time, be it human or animal. The only thing is, can Prue be persuaded to open not just her home, but her heart too?
A lovely heart-warming tale I thoroughly enjoyed about Edie becoming a Land Girl during WW2. The story follows her new life, her new colleagues, friends and workmates. I was transported back into those days and the life of a Land Girl. I hadn’t read any other books by this author before but will definitely do so in the future. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for letting me review this book.
Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

I had not read any other books by this author but found the writing easy to read and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
It was a heartwarming tale set in World War 2 - starting in London then moving to Cumbria.

There was love. loss and then a rushed but lovely ending.
Along the way there was an unexpected bombing, collection of waifs and strays both human and anima, Landgirls, prejudice and every other sort of human emotion that you could imagine

If you want an easy read in these unprecedented times then this would be just for you.

Thank you again to Gracie Taylor and the publisher
A other excellent book from netgalley.
 I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it 100 percent 📖
Wartime story set in the countryside away from the bombing. Edie goes to be a land girl and ends up finding romance and the odd stray or two.
A heartwarming book set in a northern country village during WW II. Edie is desperate to join the forces and do her bit in the fight against Hitler. Unfortunately, a childhood illness has left her with a weak chest and she is unable to pass the medical Her doctor and family friend recommends the Land Army and although it's not what she wants she has little choice. When she arrives in the village she finds that her duties are to be split between working in the garden of a large house and a sheep farm. Neither the owner of the house nor the farmer are very welcoming when she arrives and she finds it very daunting, she does however make friends with the cook at the house and the land girls who are working on the farm. She has a way with people and animals and her kindness and empathy will see her through the rough times. There is so much more to the book which I thought was well written and enjoyable
It’s 1941, and young Edie Cartwright, who hasn’t had the most settled upbringing, is keen to “do her bit” by joining the Wrens. Unfortunately, the effects of childhood illness put paid to that plan. Instead, London girl Edie is dispatched north to Cumberland to join the Land Army, where she will divide her time between the grounds of Applefield Manor and the nearby Larkstone Farm. Landlady Prue Hewitt isn’t especially welcoming, though, and has no intention of having Applefield Manor used for the war effort any more than necessary. Edie’s arrival will shake things up in more ways than one, with evacuees and various animals thrown into the mix....

This isn’t the sort of book I would usually request (I’m more of a psychological thriller girl), but I was in the mood for something cosy and escapist, which this definitely was. I enjoyed following Edie through her new - very different - life in the country setting, and seeing her connect with the people (and animals) around her. There are no great surprises - none at all, really - but that’s okay. Real life is surprising enough for me at the moment.

There’s about as much diversity as you could realistically hope for (i.e. not much, given the setting), between the Italian POWs and Edie’s fellow land girls Vinnie and Barbara, who are clearly a couple even if they’re never identified as such.

An enjoyable, warm-hearted read.
I very much enjoyed this book.  I had not previously read any books by this author, but I will certainly look out for future books.  The story is set during the second world war, but is not at all depressing and didn't focus on fighting, bombing raids in London etc unnecessarily.  It looks at life during that difficult time from a different angle to other books I have read set in the same time. I liked the way all the characters have had their lives changed in significant ways as the story progressed, not all were as I expected.  It is an easy read that would be enjoyed by most who pick it up.
Edie joins the land army during the second world war and is sent to Applefield Manor. Pru, the owner, doesn't accept her straight away but friendship blossoms.

I loved all the characters and the uplifting storyline. The author really brought them alive. I'm always fascinated by life during the wars so the bar was high but this one didn't disappoint. I loved it.
A lovely  enchanting  read  to snuggle  up to i really enjoyed this book by the first book from this author  will definitely  be  reading more  of them
Heartwarming  right through
Loved it
Thanks so netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest opinion.
First time reading this author  and can highly recommend  quite a fascinating  saga  that I thoroughly  enjoyed.
I have read and reviewed this story under the title Edie's Home for Orphans so please refer to that one please.Thank you.
Set in WW2 as Edie joins the Land Army and is sent to stay at Applefield Manor . The owner Pru is very reserved, used to being by herself since she was widowed and her son joined the forces . At first she resents the changes that kind hearted Edie brings but gradually she sees things from Eddie's point of view.
I really enjoyed this book. All the main characters were broken in some way including the animals and all found their own place at the manor.
There are so many lives that change in this book and it was a pleasure to watch them changing. Although this was set during the war it wasn't a depressing read like some can be but an uplifting one.
I wonder if there will be a sequel as I would love to know what happens next.
I loved this book so much, I found it like being wrapped in a warm hug. Edie is being sent to Cumbria to become a Land Girl, that word excited me as I love reading about the Land Girls, they might not of thought that they were doing much for the War, but they really were vital. Edie is going to live at Applefield Manor that just sounds lovely, She gets herself stuck into all sorts of Farm work which she enjoys but makes her tired as she is not use to the kind of work she is doing. I think Edie is a strong woman who wants the best for everyone and has a very kind heart. There are some lovely characters that are bought to life within this story, animals and two young evacuees make this a truly special story. I read it in a day and it did not disappoint. It would be interesting to see if there is a follow on.
Well I’ve spent a good few days wondering how any review I write for this book will be good enough!

I have to start by saying this author is multi-talented and I literally think capable of anything.

This is definitely one of my favourite books of this year so far! I haven’t been able to put it down.

As always, the author has pulled me in and created a wonderful read which has been easy to devour! This has been worth the wait (and I feel like I’ve been waiting forever).

This is a great book with loveable characters. I absolutely cannot wait to read more.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Date reviewed/posted: November 15, 2020

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is once again closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave is upon us,  superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

A heartwarming tale of wartime courage, and the untold story of the animals who needed a home
Edie’s hopes of serving overseas are dashed when she’s sent to be a Land Girl in a sleepy Cumbrian village.

Prue has shut the world out since her son went away to fight. Yet when asked to take in a Land Girl and two little evacuees from London, she has no choice.

Edie’s heart breaks seeing the children’s cold welcome. But when the evacuees take in a stray puppy, even Prue can’t say no.

Edie realizes Applefield Manor could become a sanctuary. But can she persuade Prue to open her heart, and her home?

A moving, uplifting wartime story that fans of Glynis Peters’ The Secret Orphan will love.

I was approved to read "Edie's Home for Orphans" and Edie's Home for Strays" and enjoyed reading them in tandem. Edie is plucky and an awesome girl and the stories are related so I am reviewing them as one. It is well written and fully enjoyable - and for me two very quickly but very enjoyable reads. Great characters, great plot lines make for a duo of must-read books.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🧁🧁🧁🧁