Cover Image: Parwana

Parwana

UPDATE: I WAS APPROVED!!!!

Date reviewed (Canada) - November 15, 2020
Date reviewed (UK) - November 16, 2020
... I am bi-country at the moment

I requested a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review but I have yet to hear if I was approved. I am reviewing the book anyway on Goodreads and Facebook as I already own/have read the book.

Interwoven with traditional Afghan recipes is one family's story of a region long afflicted by war, but with much more at its heart. Author Durkhanai Ayubi's parents, Zelmai and Farida Ayubi, fled Afghanistan with their young children in 1985, at the height of the Cold War.

When their family-run restaurant Parwana opened its doors in Adelaide in 2009, their vision was to share with the world their family memories through the delights of Afghan cuisine, infused with Afghanistan's rich historical culture and traditions of generosity and hospitality, to offer a more complete picture of the country they had left behind.

These fragrant and flavourful recipes have been in the family for generations and include rice dishes, dumplings, curries, meats, Afghan pastas, chutneys and pickles, soups and breads, drinks and desserts. Some are everyday meals, some are celebratory special dishes. Each has a story to tell.

This popped up on my list of books that I could request and since it was in my "I really must review this book that I read pile, here is the review. This is not just a cookbook - it is an elegy and a love letter to Afghan food and life and an utterly scrumptious book...it is an epic poem.

The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there. What I love about the book is that it uses whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. I do draw the line at making my own cheese, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better. My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍲🍲🍲🍲🍲

p.s. --- the cover??? I want to frame it!