Cover Image: The Demon of the Well

The Demon of the Well

A terrible drought has the inhabitants of an oasis town, alongside the Old Silk Road, fearing for their lives. One member among them believes he is responsible for the present suffering, along with two long-dead adventurers and the demon the trio met upon their journey together.
I was absorbed in the story from the first verse, the intriguing style in which the author told this story was mesmerizing. It was divided into two parts; ‘The Traders Story’, and ‘The Second Journey’. The rhymes carried the story smoothly and at a surprisingly fast pace.
I was absorbed in the story from the first verse, the intriguing style in which the author told this story was mesmerizing. It was divided into two parts; ‘The Traders Story’, and ‘The Second Journey’. The rhymes carried the story smoothly and in surprisingly fast pace. Not being a poetry person, I thought I would have to read it repeatedly to get the meaning but the wording was mostly simple. Even though nothing is explicitly told (which is how poetry is) but I had clear idea about what was going on and being told.

There were only two main characters, the trader and the boy. Both had no names or any description about appearance or personality. But it made the story more interesting for me. Their appearance wasn’t important, author focused on the story-telling.

Most things are unclear, like the time and place. World-building, character development are what I look for when reading a fantasy book it didn’t have those feature but it didn’t need those, and the story felt complete in every sense.

In the beginning, author has shared how this book was written, his inspiration and that over the course of 18 years this book was written as verses came to him, it’s amazing how he was able to create and write this from an inspiration.

If you’re looking for a quick fantasy read, and you like poetry, this is the book you should read! Another wonderful aspect about it is that it can be read by children and adults, alike.
Thank you so much to Netgalley for access to this e-book!

This story, kind of like a legend, is broken up into two parts; “The Trader’s Story” and “The Second Journey”. I liked the first part very much. It was a good set up, has a nice flow and does a good job of getting you used to the storytelling. It was faced paced, as well. The second part was an interesting conclusion. Unfortunately I think the pacing was less consistent and the writing was not as effortless in this half.

If you like stories, especially lore, told in verse I’d give this a go!
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

This is a book told in two parts - one long before and one during the drought. I found much to appreciate in both sections and enjoyed learning of the protagonist's history, as well as adventuring with him as he attempted to rectify his past mistakes. This felt very much like a classic tale of lore, with its wry concluding twist and the morals delivered on the journey towards it. This feel was also aided by the rhyming stanzas the story was told in.

I also loved how this story was prefaced by a note from the author detailing his creative process. The stanzas of this story came to him whole and intermittently over the course of eighteen years. I'm glad Hendricks chose to share this with the reader, as this knowledge ensured both the contents, and the construction, felt infused by magic and whimsy.
Long ago, a trader along the Silk Road overheard two former soldiers divulge of their quest to recover a powerful chalice.  The trader develops a scheme to get the treasure for himself.  However, in retrieving his prize, the trader unleashes a powerful being that wreaks havoc upon the Earth.  Years later, when the town has been experiencing a prolonged drought, the trader tells his story.  He fears his actions long ago have resulted in disaster.  Together, the trader and a younger man set off to right his wrong from long ago.

The Demon in the Well is an epic tale told in rhyming verse.  It's been awhile since I have read anything in this format and I enjoyed the deep immersion into the story and how quickly I was pulled in.  The verse made the story move very quickly and kept me wanting to know what happened next. I was surprised by how smoothly the rhymes carried the story.  While the characters may not have been as well formed, I still feel like I knew who the characters were.  Most of all, I enjoyed the author's inspiration for The Demon of the Well and what his imagination was able to create.  Overall, The Demon of the Well is an exciting journey told in a unique way.
This book was received for free in return for an honest review.