Cover Image: Hunt

Hunt

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
I beleive this is the third in a series of books featuring the lead character but it is the first I've read. I can honestly say, that I wasn't even aware of that fact until after finding out post reading it, so definitely didn't impact upon my enjoyment. Decent story which certainly kept me hooked right to the end. If this book is your typical genre, then go for it.
Dr. Augusta Bloom is back in action!

Foreign Secretary Gerald Porter is held on suspicion under the Terrorism Act. He is not willing to talk to the police, and he will only talk to Augusta Bloom.

Bloom is tasked with finding Scarlett, Gerald’s long-lost niece. The last time anyone heard from almost 9-10 years back. Her family has lost contact with her. Her family and friends remember she was trying to get into a women’s rights group called Artemis.

On paper, the group seems to do the right and trying is bring about a change in society. But Bloom has questions. What is this group? What happened to Scarlett? Bloom is divided about her opinion about the Artemis group. She goes undercover, and her partner Jameson helps her from outside the group.

Dr. Bloom and Marcus Jameson come together yet again with an enthralling thriller.

This is the third book in the series of Bloom and Jameson private detective cases. Dr. Bloom is a psychologist, and Jameson is an ex MI6. They often work with the police to solve complicated cases.
Scarlett’s disappearance and her mixing up with Artemis, on the surface, seems like a simple matter to figure out. But as Bloom asks more questions, she feels confused.

The book also brings back Bloom’s nemesis. Seraphine Walker’s appearance is always troublesome and brings fears in the heart of the readers, who read her in earlier books. She is a master manipulator and brings in terror wrapped in charm. Even though she is a recurring character, first-time readers will feel her Machiavellian nature.
Quite like her earlier books, this one is also an engaging read, but a notch higher in its thrill part. The book ends hinting at another one in the series.

Hunt by Leona Deakin is a psychological thriller that will keep me engrossed until the last page (and wanting more of it).

Thank you, NetGalley and Random House for the copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Although this is the third instalment in the Dr Augusta Bloom series with the storyline picking up where the second one left off, this books can be read as a stand-alone.

Personally, I really enjoy cult settings, so the fact that the protagonist had to go under cover inside a cult and resist their manipulations made the book so much more enjoyable for me. An intriguing premise and a storyline that delivers earn this a solid 4-star rating, Only four stars, because a few things niggled at me as too unbelievable, but overall a very good book.
Enjoyed this addition to the series.

I have read the previous books and although I wouldn’t say this one is as good, it’s still an enjoyable thriller and the cult storyline makes it stand out.
Hunt is a rollercoaster of a book, the third of Leona Deakin’s novels to follow Dr Augusta Bloom, psychologist and private detective. In this instalment, Bloom investigates the mysterious and slightly suspicious women’s feminist movement group Artemis as women and their money are disappearing with alarming efficacy.

I wish I had read the previous Detective Bloom novels before starting Hunt, but I don’t think that necessarily detracted from the enthralling story which drew you in so effectively. There were characters and actions where it was evident that there was backstory, but nothing which actively harmed my reading flow, my enjoyment of the story or indeed required further explanation.

However, Hunt was an excellent read, with layers of twists which only underpin the psychological element of the plot…. I am wary of saying too much as I don’t want to give any spoilers! The writing style was easy to read and I enjoyed Bloom’s no nonsense approach to a problem which swiftly proves to be more complex than expected. I love competent women!

A good read, although would likely be tagged as a 15A for filmgoers – the climax of the book is perfect for a thriller and is very well written. Just when you think it’s all going to be okay….

My thanks to NetGalley, Random House UK, Transworld Publishers and Leona Deakin for this e-ARC!
Although this book is the third installment with the main character, Augusta Bloom, it can easily be read as a standalone, which in turn was ideal as I have not read the first two books.

This book gives you a rare insight on how cults can operate as this is not a usual topic you would find in a fictional novel.  It was clever, intriguing and thought provoking as to how easy cults could go about recruiting new members.

Very easy to read, thoroughly enjoyable.  I will be looking to read more by this author.

My thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK for giving me the opportunity to read and review an advanced copy.
4.5/5

This book is the third in the crime/thriller series featuring Dr Augusta Bloom, an organisational physiologist turned private eye. As this was a Netgalley ARC, I hadn't read the first two before diving straight into this. While I could tell there were elements that might hold more significance for those who've read the others, I was still easily able to follow the story as a standalone.

In this one, Dr Bloom must investigate a women's rights organisation called Artemis that may not be quite what it appears. Why do the women who become involved with it seem to lose contact with their families and disappear without a trace?? Dr Bloom is well placed to infiltrate the organisation and find out... but is she in over her head??

I really enjoyed this book! I don't want to say much about the plot because I think it's a book you're better off starting fairly blind, but I found the direction it took really intriguing and the atmosphere excellent. I could barely put it down from beginning to end, which is always a good sign! The writing is clear and easy, and the chapters short and snappy which I always enjoy.

This book also employed one of my favourite thriller tropes - a bit of a twist in the falling action (after the climax, when you think it's all just wrapping up). In fact, I enjoy this so much, I tend to feel let down when it doesn't happen haha!

If you enjoy crime/thriller type stories, this author is definitely worth a look, especially if you prefer it on the "lighter" side - nothing too gory or disturbing (nonetheless TW for death, violence, things you'd expect in this genre), but still plenty to keep you on the edge of your seat. I will definitely go back and read the first two books, and look forward to any more in future!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I really enjoyed this book.  This is the 3rd in the Augusta Bloom series and I really hope it isn’t going to be the last.  I have now read all 3 and this was just as good as the others.  The story is well paced and a great read.  It was nice - do I really mean that? - the have Seraphine back even thought it was only a small part of the story,  I don’t like giving anything away so all I will say is this was another great book by Leona and pleas keep writing,  I now need no 4 please
This is the third instalment in the series, and it didn't disappoint! I love Leona's Deakin's style of writing and how she manages to lift the veil into the world of psychopaths. A great read for anyone into thrillers - I really enjoyed this one.
Hunt by Leona Deakin is the third book to feature Dr Augusta Bloom but is fine to read on it's own as well. I haven't read the first two but now I know what I am missing I need to add them to my towering inferno of books to read!
The Foreign Secretary is being held on terrorism charges and the only we hebis planning to talk is if he can speak to Dr Augusta Bloom. When Bloom speaks to him she discovers he wants her to find his niece, Scarlett, last they heard of her she was involved with Artemis, a feminist group Augusta and her business partner and friend Marcus start by investigating Artemis. What they discover isn't exactly pretty. It seems to possibly be more of a cult. Augusta decides to go undercover to find out if women are really going missing from the group. Will she find the truth or will the group root her out before she can learn anything?

I found Hunt to be a story which was very cleverly written and plotted.Fast with interesting characters also which. I found Augusta Bloom to be an intriguing and very likeable for me. A story with an amosphere that keeps you wondering what will happen next, a tension filled story filled with twists and turns to kept me on my toes. It is written in a way that the reader finds out the outcomes as the characters in the book so it increases the suspense so expertly. I found it to be one of them books that you end up racing through the book faster as you start reaching the end so you can find out what happens. I am looking forward to being able to read the first two when I can.
Thank you to Random Things Tours, NetGalley and  Leona Deakin for the copy of the book.
I’m a bit late to the party but fortunately the psychopathic party is still in full swing!
This is Leona’s 3rd book in the Dr Bloom series and I’m unfamiliar with the back story but ‘Hunt’ does make references to it in places, although in my opinion it would have been better if I had read the previous books, as the characters have obviously been threaded throughout the series. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the thrilling, fast paced storyline involving Dr Bloom, a psychologist & Jameson, in his words ‘he wasn’t an investigator, he was a spy...he didn’t observe, he infiltrated!’ Great partnership & great investigation, I’m definitely going to read the previous books to set me up ready for the next book in the series.
Big thanks to Leona Deakin, Transworld Digital and NetGalley for this eARC in return for my honest review
HUNT is the third book in the wonderful Detective bloom series, and it is – dare I say it, my favourite instalment to date!.

Bloom is enlisted to help the foreign secretary Gerald Potter who has been arrested under the Terrorism Act. He is accused of selling government secrets. On their first meeting, Gerald asks Bloom to try and locate the whereabouts of his niece Scarlett, who hasn’t been seen for ten years, after disappearing with two million pounds inheritance. He points Bloom in the direction of Artemis, the women’s rights and self help group that is run by American Paula Kunis.

Augusta and Marcus, her partner in the force, have fourteen days to locate Scarlett, but this is far from a straightforward task. Instead they find themselves being lead on a long winded journey, with the perpetrators playing mind games every step of the way and taking full advantage of the power they hold. The lengths in which these characters are prepared to go to is shocking and completely unexpected, and as things begin to intensify on their search, you find yourself on the edge of your seat.

This is a truly marvellous read. after reading Gone and Lost, I had been eagerly awaiting this latest addition to the series, and It certainly went above and beyond all of my expectations.

The characters, as always are well structured and relatable, each of them having their own individual voices and personalities which add so much depth to this story. I love the dynamics between Bloom and Jameson, from the witty banter, to the ways in which they brainstorm with one another. It is clear they have a strong bond, and this helps them work together on some of the most complex cases they find themselves presented with.

The storyline is well paced, with the perfect level of suspense building up as the story nears its climax. You are certainly left second guessing everything as the story unfolds, all of the assumptions you may have initially come to being blown out of the water as Bloom closes in on Scarlett’s whereabouts, and finally delivers the answers we are craving.

Brilliantly written, full of suspense and captivating to the very end, this is a remarkable story, and I certainly cannot wait for future additions to this series.
I love the Bloom Series of books by Leona Deakin so was really excited to receive a review copy!

And it did not disappoint, Bloom, Jameson and yes, you've guessed it Seraphine are back and this time there's a cult involved. I like the characters, the Villanelle-esque Seraphine and the almost-Villanelle Bloom are a great pairing with Jameson in the middle. The reader starts to learn more about Jameson in this book and it's well received. All I can say is more please! Really enjoyed it and will continue recommending the series to friends!
My Review

Absolutely loved this third installment in author Leona Hunt's series.
Dr Bloom's character I feel has such huge potential. The partnership between Augusta and Marcus is sometimes a work in progress though isn't it.
Marcus still feels incredibly hurt at how he was taken in by his love at the time Seraphine thinking in some way that Augusta had let him down.
Both have to work at their relationship to try fix it and in this new case Augusta needs to rely on Marcus much more. Marcus does get to use his skills from his previous work in the MI6 in this latest installment.
When Dr. Bloom is asked to look for a missing woman by her family, she knows that the young woman's disappearance is somehow related to a group called Artemis. A group that empowers and rallies women in their quest to bring peace to their lives. A group run by a lady called Paula Kunis who can do no wrong in the eyes of her followers.
Jam packed with excitement and twists and runs around every corner.
You won't want to miss this installment.
So very well worth your time
I have great respect for anyone who manages to put pen to paper to tell a story. More so when they manage to get what they have written published. This book left me confused , as it became so convoluted in both the detail it went into and the storyline. I haven't read the previous two books in the series, but given that there have been 2 previous stories about this investigative duo, it felt strange that there remained mysteries about their individual pasts and how well the knew each other. For me, it added unnecessary contortion. I read it, put it down, and thought that was almost like a Arthur Conan Doyle book, Clever investigator solves mysteries, for Bloom see (Sherlock) has trusted ex military sidekick for Marcus see (Watson) combating a devious and immensely clever foe, for Seraphina see (Moriarty)   Not for me!!
This is the third instalment featuring Dr Augusta Bloom and Marcus Jameson, missing persons specialists.  Dr Bloom is brought into Whitehall because the Foreign Secretary is being secretly held under the prevention of terrorism act and insists on seeing her privately before talking to anyone.  He wants her to find his niece - missing for 10 years - but as you'd expect there's much more going on than a simple missing person case.

Dr Bloom must infiltrate an organisation that she suspects operates much like a cult, and use her psychological knowledge to investigate, observe and resist the techniques used by such organisations.  I found these insights very powerful and learnt a lot about how cults can enmesh even the most strong-willed of people, and how the damaged or vulnerable are so quick and easy to ensnare.  The plot references narcissistic personality disorder and social media manipulation, and the links to a certain former US president will cross every reader's mind.

We learn a little more about Marcus' background, but only enough to be intriguing.  Seraphine Walker is back, interfering and causing trouble, and we see some new character flaws and her ability to make mistakes (as if being a ruthless psychopath wasn't enough!)

It does help if you've read the first two books in this series.  I enjoyed the first two but this seemed even better - more action, more linear (with a few appropriate flashbacks) and some great settings, brilliantly described.

I've given this four stars because there are a few things which didn't make sense - the Foreign Secretary is missing for 2 weeks and no-one notices?  The Prime Minister, BBC, Guardian, civil service, his constituents? Also the ending left me a bit confused. I can't say much for obvious reasons - just left with a feeling of 'why would she do that?'  Don't let me put you off - it's a great book and perhaps my questions will be answered in the next book, which I will definitely read.
I really enjoyed this book and was hooked from the first page and couldn’t leave it down, loads of twists and turns to keep one guessing x
The foreign secretary Gerald Potter has been arrested under the Terrorism Act, accused of selling government secrets, and requests the help of Augusta Bloom. When they meet, he asks her to find his niece Scarlett, who has not been in touch with her family for almost ten years. She disappeared, taking 2 million pounds inheritance money with her. He points Augusta in the direction of Artemis, the women’s rights and self – help group led by the American Paula Kunis.
Augusta and her partner Marcus have fourteen days to find Scarlett, fulfilling that way Augusta’s obligations to Gerald Potter. Travelling from London to Edinburgh to the Highlands, she takes us on a journey full of mind games, power hunger, greed, delusionality and danger.

„Hunt“ is the third book in the Doctor Augusta Bloom series and I must admit that I’m loving it more and more and can’t wait to see what’s to come yet! It was a tense, gripping, unsettling and captivating thriller involving Augusta and Marcus and – yes! – Seraphine. It was full of twists and turns and all the time I had a feeling that I have to look over my shoulder  – and I love it when the book makes me feel like this.

Augusta and Marcus still worked together brilliantly and they complemented each other, the banter and dynamics between them was natural and genuine. I liked how they are the main characters, yet they keep themselves to themselves and the author truly lets us to focus on the plot, letting us to lead the investigation together with them. We still don’t know much about their private lives, they feel like closed books but while it would probably bother me in other books, with different plots and stories, here it is simply acceptable and it works. I just enjoyed that Augusta and Marcus always have each other’s back and didn’t need anything more.

The writing style is chatty and engaging, down to earth and easy to follow and the plot was so imaginative, different and fascinating, and it was really refreshing to read this book.

The story goes deep into exploring Artemis, a group campaigning for women’s empowerment and oh my, what an exploration it was. Augusta, as usual, gives everything to solve a case and you have the feeling that actually everything can happen. I enjoyed how the author captured the essence of a cult, of its tactics and the way they manipulate people. On the surface it’s a very noble and worthwile institution but Augusta is quick in her thinking, questioning Artemis case. There is a secrecy surrounding the organization and you quickly get the feeling that nothing is, in fact, genuine about them and their esteemed leader. What our Augusta does, is to go undercover and infiltrate Artemis, and here starts the most crazy and full of tension roller – coaster ride you can expect.

Yes, I’d say that it was a slow – burner, especially at the beginning, and that sometimes the plot was too far – fetched – however it was a complex one that will need your full attention, filled with dangerous mind games, twists and turns -  and that Seraphine seemed to know everything, but all in all it didn’t spoil the reading experience for me. Even if I wouldn't determine the pace of this book as quick, there are many twists and turns and questions that you desperately want to know answers to, so there is really not a moment that feels flat. I would also advise you to read „Gone“ and „Lost“ before you start „Hunt“, as the dynamics between the main characters were growing and changing and were affected by the previous investigations. What’s more exciting is the fact that the Foreign Secretary is one of Seraphine’s past recruits – but Augusta doesn’t know it, of course. Yes, please, read the previous books!  Intense and claustrophobic, with characters that really develop, I truly enjoyed „Hunt“ and it kept me on the edge of my seat.  Truly recommended!
When I first picked up Hunt by Leona Deakin I thought it might be a disappointment, how wrong I was.  On starting the first chapter I was expecting a clunky superficial book this was a mistake, it crept up on me like the Kraken holding my attention so I couldn’t put it down until I was done!  Will definitely be looking for more by Leona Deakin.  #HuntBook #NetGalley
Hunt is the much awaited third book in the Augusta Bloom series and having enjoyed the previous two tremendously I was excited to reacquaint myself with the psychologist and her ex MI6 partner Marcus Jameson as they embark on their latest investigation. A word of warning here; you may find it worthwhile to read Lost and Gone before you dive into this storyline as the dynamics of their relationship have been affected by past investigations in which a third party, the brilliant psychopathic Seraphine Walker has played a crucial role. Expect her to make an appearance in what is a  complex, intriguing, nerve wracking and creepy read.

The foreign secretary Gerald Porter has requested the help of Augusta Bloom in finding his niece Scarlett who has not had any contact with her family and friends in ten years. An only child of his sister Greta Marshall, he is keen to discover the whereabouts of Scarlett since her inheritance which has been kept in trust until she reaches the age of twenty one has disappeared. The only information he is in possession of is a possible link Scarlett has to the women’s rights and self help group Artemis  headed by the American Paula Kunis. Currently being held by Westminster police for the next fourteen days under the Terrorism Act, accused of selling government secrets, Augusta Bloom only has a limited time to locate this young woman and reunite her with her mother and fulfill her obligations to the foreign secretary. Taking the reader from London to Edinburgh and the Highlands prepare to be outwitted in more highly dangerous and subversive mind games featuring the most delusional, power hungry individuals you are ever likely to meet. The lengths these characters are prepared to go to achieve their aims will astound you!

This is a creepy and unsettling storyline which will have you on the edge of your seat in anticipation of the next surprising twist. Augusta and Marcus aided by technical wizard Lucas George are facing their biggest challenge yet but with Augusta’s brilliant mind and powers of deduction and Marcus’s skills in espionage you can only hope they manage to remain one step ahead of any opponents who stand in their way. The only trouble is Bloom and Jameson, through no fault of their own tend to enter into investigations partially blindfolded, unsure of who or what they are up against which for the reader only adds to the sense of excitement and tension. Control of this particular game seems to switch hands constantly so you can never be entirely sure who has the upper hand!

Initial investigations reveal Artemis to be a group operating on the premise of empowering women, their main aim being to rectify the inequalities that exist between men and women in society. On the face of it a noble and worthwhile cause but Augusta is quick to question Artemis rhetoric, sensing there is a secrecy surrounding their esteemed leader and the way they operate giving rise to misgivings about how genuine this group really is and whether it’s a facade for something more sinister. It is highly possible their subtle methods of recruitment disguise their true intentions, preying on the vulnerable but the only way to confirm these gut instincts is to go undercover and infiltrate their organisation. Has Scarlett fallen victim to their persuasive and convincing dialogue and if so where is she? An invitation to spend a weekend at a retreat owned by Artemis located outside of Inverness provides the perfect opportunity to gather evidence and substantiate their concerns and hopefully find Scarlett but how dangerous will this undercover mission prove to be?

I love the pairing of Augusta and Marcus but these storylines have a greater focus on the complexities of the plot rather than giving the reader more insight into the personal lives of our two main characters. Augusta really is a closed book and I don’t feel I know her any better than when I was first introduced to her character. There are glimpses of a more human side in this narrative but they are kept to a bare minimum with Augusta portrayed as more robotic in her actions compared to partner Marcus whose flaws are more obvious. That’s not to say Augusta is immune to making errors because these events tell a different story and up against arch nemesis Seraphine you can spot her weaknesses. Thankfully Augusta and Marcus have each other’s backs as events take on James Bond style proportions.

I don’t suppose the plot line in Hunt is any more convoluted or far fetched than the ones in Lost and Gone but I’ll admit to finding my brain tied up in knots as the final big scenes play out. They will take your breath away in terms of how dramatic and heinous they are! Having read the final page I found myself mentally rewinding through these extraordinary events trying to process and make sense of how all these characters fit into this impossible puzzle. Once I saw the completed picture I think I finally grasped all the intricacies of the plot but again it is a complex one that requires your full concentration. As you’d expect from the author and this series there are surprising twists that leave you in awe of Ms Deakin’s creativity and ability to sweep the carpet out from under your feet, and with the hint that there will at least be one more book to come, these dangerous mind games are not over with yet. However unbelievable these plot lines may be I have fallen under the spell of Bloom, Jameson and Walker, a willing virtual onlooker to scenarios in which the author tests the theory of whether two heads are better than one in this ongoing  quest for ultimate power and domination. Although I’ve decided to award Hunt 4 stars instead of the 5 I’ve given to the previous two books in the series I’m still excited to discover who will finally reign triumphant! If you love being in the company of psychopathic, unpredictable characters this series is one for you. My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read.