Cover Image: THE ICE DAUGHTERS

THE ICE DAUGHTERS

The Ice Daughters is the second book in the Dove Milson series. i found the case itself to be slightly bizzare & struggled to keep up with the events. The flow wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. However, I liked to see Dove & her team work the case. Diligent as always, Dove seems to be an objective officer with less flair for dramatics in her life.
The plot was unique but in my opinion could have been made more compelling. This book was good but it felt like something was missing. The historical element / flashback chapters were confusing at the start but as the book progressed it started to make more sense. At the end, I was still unsure of the reason behind the latest crimes. I struggled with understanding the part of them being acted on in the present while being inspired by events happening way too far back in the past & the 'why'. The reason did not feel logical to me. But I'm no expert in criminal psychology so I'll think of this as a new thing learnt. The ending was great & i felt some of the thrill in the last few chapters. I'd definitely look out for the next book in the series to see what Dove gets on with next.

Thank you, NetGalley, Joffe Books & D.E.White for an arc!
I'll definitely like to read the first book "Glass Dolls" after reading "The Iced Daughters".

Firefighters rushed to a remote farmhouse to put out a fire, only to find two young girls alone inside the house. Their mother has gone missing and in her place is a dead body of a man frozen in a fetal position. There are two chess pieces made of ice on the front porch of the house.

What is the man's name, and how did he come to be in that position? What happened to the mother? What is the meaning of these chess pieces? Is there a link between these items? Is this the first murder? There are so many questions that need to be answered.

DC Dove Milson and her team are on the hunt for the killer, but time is running out. Then ice sculptures are left of her house.

A unique story with a clever plot that takes you back to WWII and the experiments conducted at Dachau. Twisting and turning to a shocking, explosive end.

Reading this book was really a joy.

Big thanks to NetGalley, JeffeBooks, and D.E White for this ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
This is the second book in the Detective Dove Milson series and although this can be read as a standalone I want to read the first book in the series to better understand what happened to Dove and her sisters in the first book which leads them to their current situation in this book.

Overall this was a fast paced, interesting police procedural/medical thriller in which Detective Dove and the team of Major Crimes Unit have to solve a unique and complex case which involves frozen to ice dead bodies of young, healthy men, kidnappings of two single mothers and dubious human clinical trials.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Joffe Books and the author for the e-Arc of the book. The book was published on 17th December 2020.
When people start disappearing police are left with no clues and very little idea how the victims are connected. The characters were great and you got involved with the story right away but the ending will grab you and the twists will keep you interested.
Detective Dove Milsom is back to work after the Glass Dolls case which devastated her family. When she is called to a fire at a farm, a woman has disappeared but a body had been found and the man has been frozen.
This investigation leads to a bizarre series of events that could put Dove in a situation where she ends up fighting for her life again.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and this was a fantastic sequel. It’s dark and I can’t wait for the next instalment. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Complex thriller with many layers to be unravelled. Lots of interesting characters and lots of suspects. Story was good but not entirely believable.
A very good read overall. I was a little disappointed in that it was a "doctors/clinical trials/very bad/Nazis" theme which I feel has been done to death. For some inexplicable reason the name Dove irritates me enormously- irrational I know and hardly the author's fault.
I did enjoy it though and would read more from this author
This was an intriguing mystery and I enjoyed seeing how the mystery unravelled. It has solid characters and kept me guessing throughout.
An intriguing story and a brilliant read!

Daisy White has delighted me with this clever and gripping crime thriller and I was not in the least disappointed with this superb, briskly-paced tale.

A remote farm-house in Eversham, Southern England is set on fire with two young girls inside. Firefighters extinguish the flames and DC Dove Milson with DS Steve Parker, of the Major Crimes Team are called to the crime scene to investigate. They find the body of a man in the yard curled in a foetal position, his naked body frosted with ice crystals. The girls' mum is nowhere to be found, but there are two chess pieces carved from ice on the doorstep. It's not long before the same thing happens - another frozen body is found, a woman disappears and the ice chess pieces are left on display.

I warmed to protagonist Dove in the first novel of this compelling series, Glass Dolls and also from very early on in this novel, The Ice Daughters, and I was rooting for her throughout the story. The deft and masterful writing skills of D.E. White anchored the storyline solidly in reality and the plot itself was very believable. The Ice Daughters was so full of drama and suspense that it had my heart racing. Daisy White gave the reader a mixture of excellent characters, and as the snow continued to fall the humanity of the police team contributed to the definite strength of narrative.

The book was a commanding read and the author’s talent made this a wonderful story that I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated for the entertainment it was. The ending, complete with inevitable thrills, was something of a surprise to me as I did not anticipate the explosive conclusion. This is a little gem and a book that I'm so pleased to have read!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my request from Joffe via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Firefighters called to a barn blaze following 999 call by owner Tessa who by the time the emergency services arrive has disappeared leaving 2 daughters indoors and mysteriously a frozen body on her doorstep. Dove Milton is called in to investigate and the novel links to clinical trials, university friends and Nazi atrocities during the war. How are they all connected?
Novel set in the coldest winter which hampers the search
Received this book from #Netgalley and publishers in exchange for an honest review
A magnificent book that goes right under your skin! I honestly had to google Icedaughters after reading the book to find out whether or it was real. I didn't find any information on it, but who ran tell for sure what kind of other sick experiments were going on in concentration camps?
Being German, I was anxious about the representation of NS-regime and concentration camps and I was left accurately disturbed by it.
It was an deeply emotional, intense thriller and I would definitely read it again.

I received a free ARC by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This is book 2 in the Detective Dove Milson series but the books do work well as stand alone.

Dove is called to a crime scene:  A missing mother, the frozen body of a man, a fire and chess pieces made from ice.  A bizarre scene if ever there was one.  The team begin their search for clues but there are very few and even less suspects the only possibles have solid alibis.  Every single little clue must be investigated in order for find pieces to form a picture of what is going on.  Then another crime scene with another fire, frozen man, missing mother and chess pieces.  Will the team be able to find enough clues to show the way forward?

I like Dove she is an unusual character damaged in an earlier case and her fiance, Quin is also struggling to deal with the people he couldn't save.  The pair are very caring and dedicated to their jobs.

The team is made up of a variety of different but well defined characters that offset each other perfectly to make an effective team.

I really enjoyed this book it is packed full of intrigue and we really get into the nitty gritty world of detective work.

A gripping read.  Thank you to Joffe Books, Netgalley and the author for the advance digital copy of this book.  This is my unbiased review.
Second book in the series featuring DC Dove Milson and her police family and related family. It can be read as a stand alone easily as the author fills the reader in with anything that you may need to know from the previous story. Old university friends go missing, fires are started and frozen bodies are left near the scene along with ice chess men. There has to be a connection but the force are just unable to put all the pieces together. And like in real life, people don't always tell the whole truth just in case they may be implicated which thwarts the investigation for a while. A good strong procedural which will have you guessing right to the end.
Thanks to Joffe Books for the ARC to review.
I was exhausted after reading this. And I had a love-hate relationship with it. Funny how it may
sound but that is how I felt. The genre made me excited about the book, reading the first few
chapters had me ambivalent, and just in the middle that I appreciate and loved it.

The chapters were a bit of resentment into it. A missing person, a dead man, and a fire. Topics
that made me excited to read the book and those are also the crimes that had been committed
in the story. What I like about the journey of solving the crimes was the complexity of each clue
they found. The clues do not lead to the perpetrator but lead to other more complicated clues.
Solving the mysteries was hard enough but having a very cold weather while solving it makes it
more difficult.

I also like how this is not just about the crimes being solved but also being deep into the
character's life. DC Dove Milson entangled her life with the crimes she is solving. I love her
character. She is not just brilliant but also a strong and composed woman.

This book has some short chapters and its story progress is a bit fast.
What I don`t like is the hand full of slang words that I did not know. I had to stop and search for
the meaning of it on the web if the sentence does not make sense to me. Not knowingly there is
a glossary at the end of the book. Nonetheless, it is still a good read.
My thanks to the Author publishers and NetGalley for providing me with a Kindle version of this book to read and honestly review.
This is a well written interesting book from first to last page, a proper Police procedural with our engaging heroine just part of a team effort to solve the mystery. If you like your detective stories full of action with a series of gruesome murders, this is not the book for you. Don't get me wrong this is a clever imaginative whodunit i certainly did not work it out.
Entertaining.
After reading the first book in the series, I was glad that there was less of Dove's old handling job in this one (I just wasn't into it). Reading this in the winter during a heavy snowfall made it feel even more real. There were a lot of characters to keep track of, but the story moved at a pretty good clip to keep me interested.

Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Ice Daughters by D.E. White is a psychological thriller which is the follow up to Glass Dolls which introduced us to Detective Dove Milson. The Ice Daughters takes place a few months after the first book ends. We are thrown into the story immediately as a mother disappears and a frozen body is discovered. The investigation is given to Dove and her partner DS Steve Parker. They don't have time to process the weird crimes and their possible meanings when a second woman goes missing and second body is found along with Ice chess sculptures too.
What meaning do the ice chess pieces have? What's the link between the missing women and finally how and why were the men killed?
All these questions need answers and the sooner the better for the missing women.
Another brilliant, twisty, suspense filled story that I thoroughly loved immediately. There was no dull moment all the way though, and this added to my enjoyment! A highly recommended series to anyone.
Thank you to Joffe Books and Netgalley for the copy of the book for my review.
*I received an ARC of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I found this book incredibly hard to read and did not finish, but may come back to it at a later date  knowing it's flaws to find out what happens as the premise is interesting-ish.

From the outset it's reasonably clear that this really should have been a manuscript for a tv mini series and not a novel. The entire plot is relayed almost entirely through dialogue for at least the first 20% of the book (I did not read further).

The writing is heavy on police jargon and acronyms are never explained. It was so annoying that I looked up the author's info to see whether they were ex law enforcement or whether they were just laying it on way too thick. It seems the latter. There's a fine line between playing out a scenario realistically and weighing a reader down with a bunch of unnecessary information and this book vaults over it.

This is the second book of the series but it can be read as a stand alone - the reader is provided with info about the first. This is done reasonably well but the actual content was again frustrating. The female detective, Dove, had previously been kidnapped and tortured by a gang and has been left not being able to have children as a result. This is such a tired backstory for women, it's so over done and completely unimaginative. Is this a scenario that could happen? yes. Would it be traumatic? yes. But it's played out so often in this genre that it's honestly been Done. Find other ways to traumatise your female protagonists.
I have been a fan of D. E. White’s work for a little while now.  I have read all of her books to date and thoroughly enjoyed every single one.  I especially love the series featuring Detective Dove Milson.  ‘The Ice Daughters’ is the second book in the series and it is another corker of a read and then some.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Ice Daughters’ but more about that in a bit.
It didn’t take me long at all to get into this book.  In fact by the time I got to the bottom of the synopsis, I just knew that I was going to be in for a cracking read.  As soon as the story started, I was in ‘the zone’ as it were.  To say that reading ‘The Ice Daughters’ became addictive is one heck of an understatement.  I picked the book up only intending to make a start on the story by reading a couple of chapters.  The problem was that I became so wrapped up in the story that I was still reading over half a dozen chapters later.  The book became very well travelled as it went everywhere with me.  I couldn’t bear to be parted from the book for any length of time for fear of missing a vital clue or a nugget of scandal.   I read the book in just under 24 hours, which is pretty good going for me as I usually have a short attention span and I am easily distracted but certainly not in this case.
‘The Ice Daughters’ is superbly written but then I think that to be true of all of D. E. White’s books.  She certainly knows how to grab your attention with an eye catching synopsis and then draws you into the story.  Once she has your attention, she won’t let you have it back until the moment you close the back cover of the book as it were.  I found ‘The Ice Daughters’ to be a well plotted, gripping read, which kept me guessing and which kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.  I really did feel as though I was part of the story and that’s all thanks to D. E. White’s very vivid and realistic storytelling.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Ice Daughters’ and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers.  I will certainly be reading more of D. E. White’s books in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.