Cover Image: While Justice Sleeps

While Justice Sleeps

Avery is a law clerk for one of the Supreme Court Judges, and finds herself his guardian after he unexpectedly falls into a coma.
Everyone seems to want the Judge to die, but he has left Avery lots of clues in order to solve the "mystery" of finding a cure for the disease that he has passed onto his son, and also unravel the corruption that lies within.
Great read and I could not put this book down.
Quickest read this year. I bought it while waiting for the Netgalley request! When is the Netflix  series happening?!
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this ebook.

I thought the premise of this book looked just my kind of read and it definitely was.  I really enjoyed  this book, it captured my attention immediately right from the start and held it mostly all the way through.     I felt it had a believable and a very well thought out plot line, lots of twists which I I loved, it was written very well and was a great book to read.   I liked Avery, the main character, who finds herself in an unexpected and difficult position when the Judge she is clerk for goes into a coma, naming her as his legal guardian.  There is a hell of a lot going on in this book - sometimes it felt like a bit too much though.  Trying to keep track of all the characters with their own end games was initially hard until they all slotted into place in my mind.   Once or twice I felt the book was a little overly long and maybe could have been slightly shorter without taking anything away from the story.   Overall a great, fast paced political thriller that is full of tension and suspense.   Would definitely look to reading more by this author.
I loved While Justice Sleeps, the first legal thriller by Democrat Stacey Abrams. It's a well researched and well paced and plotted novel with believable characters written with real depth. I hope this is the first of more thrillers to come from the author.
Many thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this digital ARC.
A well crafted story centred around the President of the United States and a Supreme Court Judge. The plot is as intricate as the chess moves often used in this novel. A real page turner, recommended.
Justice Howard Wynn is a highly respected court judge and has the deciding vote in an upcoming matter. However he falls into a coma and is hospitalised leaving his Law Clerk Avery Keene power of attorney. She finds out that he was keeping a secret and now she has to find out what this secret is. As she learns more and more she finds herself in increasing danger. However she must find everything out at any cost. I liked the story but found it hard going to read. I would still recommend it though despite that as the storyline is good. It’s different to what I was expecting and usually read.
Stacey Abrams is a politician, and this comes through in this first thriller by her.
Avery Keene, a young law clerk, has her life turned upside down when Justice Wynn goes into a coma and it becomes known that he has made her his legal guardian. Justice Wynn sits on many high profile cases, but Avery finds that he has also been investigating another controversial case that may have links with  those in power in Washington - which means that Avery could become disposable.
A fast paced political thriller, with quite of lot of legal and medical jargon.
Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to review it.
A most intriguing and fascinating read of legal manoeuvring, political plots, genetic research with vast commercial potential, and secret agendas ruthlessly protected. A high court judge lays dying having laid out a secret strategy to accomplish his required ends. He leaves a last message to his law clerk that sets everything in motion before he falls into a comma in the night. In the morning. his cleck finds that she has his powers of attorney which together with his cyptic message sends her off solving riddles leading into a labyrinth of earth-shattering events that brings down the president during an appeal court hearing. A most unique tale.
This is a riveting read, a political thriller filled with intrigue, deadly danger and secrets.

Avery is the law clerk of the somewhat notorious, cantankerous and taciturn Justice Wynn, who often seems to have the deciding vote on issues in the Supreme Court. She has an eidetic memory, is a great poker and chess player and she never expected the judge to give her full power of attorney for him, something she discovers when he is discovered in a coma. Actually, no one had anticipated her appointment but he also leaves her a series of clues for her to decipher, clues that put her in deadly danger and uncertain just who she can trust. With the FBI and Homeland Security doubting her, she also has to countermand Wynn’s wife who not only challenges her appointment but also seems determined to switch off his life support….

This is an international chess game where you’re uncertain just what the end goals are. It is filled with so many different threads, skilfully intertwined to create a tapestry depicting Avery’s quest for the truth despite the obstacles and threats. It has great characters, a complex plot and demonstrates the author’s personal knowledge of the political workings as well as her excellent skills as a writer. It is a real page turner and had me on the edge of my seat, just hoping all would work out for Avery!

Thank you to Harper Collins and NetGalley for my copy of this fascinating book which I have voluntarily read and honestly reviewed.
Avery Keene, a brilliant young law clerk for the legendary Justice Howard Wynn, is doing her best to hold her life together--excelling in an arduous job with the court while also dealing with a troubled family. When the shocking news breaks that Justice Wynn--the cantankerous swing vote on many current high-profile cases--has slipped into a coma, Avery's life turns upside down. She is immediately notified that Justice Wynn has left instructions for her to serve as his legal guardian and power of attorney.

Excellent book, perfect for those who love sophisticated or political thrillers. The resolution of this thriller keeps the reader engaged until the conclusion. This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
Is there no end to the achievements of Stacey Abrams? The lawyer, politician and campaigner’s voter outreach programme is widely credited with turning Georgia Democrat. She also finds time to write novels, first writing romantic suspense as Selena Montgomery, now the thriller While Justice Sleeps.

Justice Wynn is widely believed to be the swing vote on an upcoming ruling in the US Supreme Court, in a case which could see him rule against the president. However, when he falls into a coma, his clerk, Avery Keene, learns that he has appointed her as his legal guardian. This comes as a shock to her — he has always seemed a remote, forbidding figure.

Avery learns that he was investigating the case, which involves a  biotech company with strategic and national interests for the United States, in his own time. He has left Avery a series of clues to interpret his wishes. She is confronted with political pressure, the fury of the Wynn’s family, and not a few issues in her own life as she struggles to do the right thing by him. It’s clear the implications of the challenge he has left her go right to the top and her very safety is at risk.

There’s a lot going on in While Justice Sleeps. There’s a political element, an action-adventure element, and the challenge of solving the puzzles which have been left by Wynn for Avery. There’s a chess motif that runs through the novel as well as cryptic clues which might appeal to crossword fans.

I must admit, I hoped for more about the law, given that Abrams is a lawyer. Although While Justice Sleeps is set in the world of the Supreme Court, there is little law or courtroom procedure in it. It’s not like the novels of Attica Locke or Scott Turow, which feature plot twists based on points of law, the theatre of the courtroom, and deeper questions about the distance between morality and law. It’s more a conspiracy than a legal thriller.

This is definitely a plot-driven novel. The characters are quite generic. Avery is the poor but driven young mixed-race woman whose drive is hampered only by her addict mother. Her nemesis is a ruthless and driven Homeland Security agent. Her friends rally to help her through this crisis, and they just happen to have the perfect mix of skills – from law to medicine to a Special Forces veteran. All to help a cantankerous but clever justice who never showed Avery any warmth apart from when sharing his gnomic reflections with her.

The writing is pacy and the language is occasionally clunky. Some of the dialogue scenes are repetitive and circular. These aren’t major issues, they’re what happens in early drafts and would normally be smoothed out in editing. It feels like perhaps publication has been rushed to make the most of Abrams’ high profile after the election.

There are some things which are unresolved at the end of While Justice Sleeps, such as the reason for Wynn’s past behaviour to his family, and I still wasn’t entirely clear why he felt he had to leave Avery such enigmatic clues. Still, if you like a thriller that’s pacy and plot-driven, high concept rather than realistic, it’s an entertaining read.
I received a copy of While Justice Sleeps from the publisher via Netgalley.
When I heard Stacey Abrams was writing a political thriller, I thought this book is going to be good, as her career is quite political and she's probably met some people who could make some excellent inspiration for this book, and I feel like she really made that clear in this book combined with incredible pace.

I really appreciate her knowledge and the way she uses her work to make such an incredibly and brilliant setup to this story, that I really loved, being the political nerd I am, and appreciated how she use real law in the story to make the case (i.e. the Exon-Florio Amendment). I feel like as much as this book kept me on the edge of my seat, this book taught me alot about the American judiciary.

Incredible intrigue throughout and wonderful pacing, Abrams really can write a book that leaves you on tenterhooks, reminiscent of writers such as John Grisham. Everything is well done here and I'd recommend this thriller to anyone with a brain.
A really good read.  Avery, a clerk to  Judge Wynn is suddenly thrust into a political and business conspiracy when Wynn collapses into a coma.  Have the biotech companies used gene research into medication as a weapon of war?  How high up in the US government does it go?  It's a fast paced thriller.  As with all these type of stories, they stretch credulity.  Still a very enjoyable book.
This is an honest review of a complementary ARC.
Wow!

While Justice Sleeps is a twisty, intriguing and gripping political thriller. It features a strong cast of characters, a propulsive plot, and will keep readers on the edge of their seats as they root for Avery. If you’re a fan of political thrillers, then I definitely recommend you check this book out! Now this author is on my radar I’ll be looking to see what she brings out next!  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I was full of expectations: Stacey Abrams, as a person, is a fascinating character. But, oh my - she can write. I could hardly put her book down. All required ingredients of a fast paced thriller are in here and more. I keep quoting from it.

The story is a somewhat complicated tale of conflicts of the very basic nature: loyalty towards family vs friends vs colleagues vs country vs the elected leaders. Our unlikely heroine, a clerk to an old Supreme Court justice, finds herself torn between her loyalties but also intrigued by the conundrum set up for her by her boss in coma, a conundrum he was not able to resolve without her help. Basically, he throws her under the bus, hoping she will survive. And she does. At some point our clerk even becomes a superwoman, she easily delegates to those around her, whether a friend, a Chief Justice or the FBI and outsmarts even the smartest guys in the room - Jack Reacher in a dress:-)

I did not grow to like the characters, may be except the judge's son, and this made the whole story even more interesting for me. No black and white personalities, no good or bad decisions - plain politics and power plays, families with their own baggages of the past.

Looking back, I like the title very much. These 3 words are echoing in my head now.

"Show men ignoble work and easy sex and there went civilization."
I don't typically read thrillers but when I heard that the iconic Stacey Abrams had written a novel, I had to read it. While Justice Sleeps is the story of Avery, an up-and-coming law clerk to Howard Wynn a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. When Justice Wynn ends up in a coma, Avery's life is turned upside down when she discovers she has been given his Power of Attorney and is essentially now responsible for acting in the Justice's best interests and overseeing his medical care.

As the story progresses, it becomes apparent that Justice Wynn has information that some very, very powerful people are willing to kill to keep hidden. Avery must be careful who she trusts but is able to build a small group of allies who will help her uncover the truth and carry out the last wishes of Justice Wynn.

As far as legal thrillers go, I enjoyed it and that's as someone who doesn't read from this genre very often. If thrillers are your thing, I think you will really like While Justice Sleeps. The clues to solve the mystery are there, if you care to look for them, but the plot is clever and intricate enough to keep even the savviest of sleuths guessing without the final reveal feeling completely implausible. The writing style is pretty good, not the most beautiful literary language by any means, but the prose is well constructed and allows you to build a picture of the characters in your mind.

There was an underlying hint at a romance in the latter half of the book and I wasn't entirely convinced that this needed to be there. However, in looking up interviews about this book, I discovered that While Justice Sleeps is not in fact Stacey Abrams' first novel. She's written a handful of books under the psuedonym Selena Montgomery and, from what I can tell, these all sit somewhere in the romance genre. She obviously knows how to write sexual tension and perhaps wanted to display those skills in this, her latest work. Personally though, with the intricacy of the main plot already having so many strands to it, I felt the romance was an unnecessary distraction.

Overall, I think this would make a great beach, plane or train journey read. It goes along at a good pace with a variety of interesting characters and touches on some important topics such as power, justice, drug abuse and the lengths otherwise good people can go to if they get desperate enough.  As Justice Wynn might have said, the book was "adequate" and if you do decide to read it you'll see this is in fact a very high compliment indeed.
This was a spectacular story with intelligent descriptions and logical thinking which really fired up my neurons. I was invested in the story from the start, with its appealing characters and non stop action. The conclusion exceeded my expectations and I came away feel I had increased my knowledge, as well as having a thoroughly enjoyable experience..
I read a lot about Stacey Abrams as political activist and I admire her work. This is her first book I read and it was an excellent read.
It's a gripping page turner I thoroughly enjoyed. Well written, great characters and a solid plot full of twists and turns.
It kept me reading till late in the night and I couldn't put it down.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I loved this first book from Stacey Abrams. It’s reminiscent of an early John Grisham, has the twists and turns of an early Dan Brown and maybe the insight of a Tom Clancy. It’s fast paced but revealing just enough at a time to keep you reading just one more chapter. A brilliant new voice in this genre. I can’t wait for more from her.
While Justice Sleeps is a gripping, complexly plotted novel set within the halls of the U.S. Supreme Court and was penned by Stacey Abrams, former member of the Georgia House of Representatives and fervent voting activist; this is her new legal thriller. Avery Keene, a brilliant young law clerk for the legendary Justice Howard Wynn, is doing her best to hold her life together--excelling in an arduous job with the court while also dealing with a troubled family. When the shocking news breaks that Justice Wynn--the cantankerous swing vote on many current high-profile cases coming before the Supreme Court in Washington--has slipped into a coma, Avery's life turns upside down. She is immediately notified that Justice Wynn has left instructions for her to serve as his legal guardian and she will have power of attorney over all of his affairs; naturally, this both antagonises and upsets Wynn’s wife and son. Plunged into an explosive role she never anticipated, Avery finds that Justice Wynn had been secretly researching one of the most controversial cases before the court--a contentious proposed merger between an American biotech company known as American GenWorks and an Indian genetics firm, Avtar, which promises to unleash breathtaking results in the medical field. She also discovers that Wynn suspected a dangerously related conspiracy that infiltrates the highest power corridors of Washington.

As political wrangling ensues in Washington to potentially replace the ailing judge, who is apparently suffering from Boursin’s Syndrome and whose life and survival Avery controls, she begins to unravel a carefully constructed, chesslike sequence of clues left behind by the wily Wynn. She comes to see that Wynn had a much more personal stake in the controversial case and realises his complex puzzle will lead her directly into harm's way in order to find the truth. This is a riveting and completely enthralling legal thriller with taut plotting and corrupt politicians and lawyers at the centre of it all. Abrams is a lawyer who studied at Yale hence this is full of gritty realism and authentic depictions of the courts. It moves at a rapid-fire pace, gets the heart-thumping and twisty surprises are in abundance as Abrams cleverly and devilishly pulls you this way then that. Palpable suspense, fluid prose and exhilarating excitement are enough to keep you feverishly turning the pages. A high-octane thriller jammed with legal intrigue, While Justice Sleeps is multilayered and occasionally convoluted, ending in a terrific set-piece legal showdown between Keene and those ranged against her. A cunningly crafted, sophisticated novel, layered with myriad twists and a vibrant cast of characters, and drawing on her astute inside knowledge of the court and political landscape, Abrams shows herself to be not only a force for good in politics and voter fairness but also a major new talent in suspense fiction. Highly recommended.