Cover Image: The House Beneath the Cliffs

The House Beneath the Cliffs

Oh I really liked this story - lovely setting and cast of characters which was absorbing and well written.  A gentle and engaging read which I very much enjoyed.  Would read this author again.  Thank you.
Really enjoyed this tale of Crovie village under the cliffs on the Scottish coast.
Anna has bought a cottage under the cliffs after breaking up from a long relationship with well known tv chef Geoff, but when she arrived her cottage was tiny, has she made a terrible mistake?
The characters and stories behind them were all brilliant.  Atmospheric, beautiful and totally gripping story.
Hard to put down once you start reading....just loved it!!
Highly recommended!!  Planning some Scottish travels now and some cooking!
Thank you for the early read- very much appreciated.
I very much enjoyed this story of making a new start and working against the odds from Sharon Gosling. Anna buys a tiny cottage in a remote Scottish hamlet in an attempt to get away from a long and somewhat abusive relationship. However she is immediately aware that she is out of her depth in this place, unprepared for the remoteness and how small it is.
But she is won over, first by the people who are immediately friendly and helpful and secondly by the place, the scenery and the weather. Almost against her will she sets up a small business which takes off despite several sabotage attempts from one dreadful neighbour and the return of her jealous ex.
Just as she thought she had things under control and was settled a tremendous storm rocks the hamlet and puts all plans on hold.
The book is an easy and fast read, something that no doubt belies the amount of work gone in to getting it like that. The characters are well drawn, all different and distinct and with their own parts to play in the story.
The setting, the tiny village of Corvie is wonderfully described and really brought alive, from the warm summer days to the cold buffeting storms, whilst the descriptions of food had me salivating and looking things up on the internet as I was reading.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for the chance to read an advanced copy.
The premise of this novel is a popular one: to demonstrate how an idyllic but remote location can offer an individual a fresh start. In this novel, the individual is Anna, and the location is the fishing village of Crovie on the Moray Firth in Scotland. Can Anna attune her life to her new surroundings that are regularly threatened by storms? How will her new cookery business take off? And how can she win acceptance from some of the locals who are rather hostile?
This is an engaging, nicely-written story about an individual finding herself and quite rightly puts an area of Scotland that remains fairly unknown at the heart of the book. I would like to thank NetGalley and the publishers for the free eARC that allowed me to get to know this author's latest book.
This was a lovely, deeply immersive read . It was both heartwarming and uplifting . I read it in one sitting,, i didn't wantvto put it down once i started reading. The characters were all relatable and you got the feeling of the small community spirit, all pulling together in a united front when anyone needed help.
Anna moves to the remote village of Crovie , wanting to start again after she leaves her job as a Sioux chef after a failed relationship goes sour.
      She finds the house she has has purchased is little bigger than a she'd and little more than a shack and reconsiders her options, thinking she might rent out the space instead.
      The longer she spends in the little fishing village the more she settles in and is persuaded to open a pop up lunch club , after her new found friends taste her wares.
     She finds an old recipe book  belonging to the former resident of her house and this influences her on her menu choices .
      This is a story about friendship, relationships and second chances . I especially liked the little notes that you don't realise how they connect with the characters  at first , but that was a lovely touch by the author. I really enjoyed this book and thoroughly recommend it.
A lovely novel that looks at how a woman moves away from an abusive boyfriend to start over. She escapes to a crumbling cottage in a village in Scotland and we follow how she turns her life around and what happens as she comes to terms with her past and future.  I loved how the author wrote how she got the idea of the house and the new start too.
This book is absolutely delightful.  Telling that tale of Anna as she moves to a tiny house clinging to the cliffs in a remote village, the story continues with the ups and downs of the villagers until a terrible storm has life changing consequences.  I feel sad to have finished it; the characters had become friends!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

Anna has moved to  Crovie, which is a tiny fishing village, on the Moray Firth. She’s hoping to make a fresh start.

Only, when she arrives, she’s shocked to see her new home is really no more than a shed. The village itself sits beneath a cliff, that too right on the edge of the sea. Also in constant danger of storms and landslides. Is she regretting this move!

But as she’s slowly beginning to learn and the coast, a d it’s occupants, she discovers something within herself that she thought she’d lost. Her love of cooking returns and so she decides to turns her kitchen into a pop-up lunch club. It seems that not everyone is happy to see her there, and there’s some that are more keen to see her plans fail.

So will Anna be able to put den roots in the little remote village or will her new beginning start to fall apart.....
The House Beneath the Cliffs is a lovely piece of escapism - a light read with a surprising amount of poignancy scattered throughout. It certainly made me want to run away to a tiny town and start again - and it was lovely to follow the main character become more confident in herself after years of being berated by a terrible boyfriend.

A thoroughly enjoyable read!
I have to admit when I first started reading this I didn’t thing it would grip me. But how wrong I was. I want to visit Crovie. I want a meal cooked by Anna. I have to say I cried at times. I want to see how her relationship with Robert progresses. And Dougie!  Well all of them really. I do so hope there’s another book. I loved it , loved it, loved it
Great story of Anna restructuring her life following a split from her dominant boyfriend.
From thinking she’d made a huge mistake to moving into a derelict little house in a small Scottish costal hamlet she turns her life around. She makes lots of new friends, the odd enemy, but this is the story of how she finally feels as though she has purpose in her life as well as a place to call home. Great romantic storyline
A gorgeous, romantic book, that will whisk you away to sunnier happier times. Make you forget what we are living through at the moment and pop a smile on your face as you sink into a lovely romance.
What a fantastic read. You are transported to a small village called Crovie where you follow Anna as she sets herself up her new start in life, with highs and lows, dreams and reality. You meet characters that you really would love to know in real life. Beautifully written as you can picture it all happening around you. I read this in one day, I could not put down as I wanted to know what happens next. You are in for a treat when you read this book, it comes highly recommended.
Thank you for letting me read this book in return for a honest review.
#TheHouseBeneathTheCliffs #netgalley
I adore Scotland, and Crovie just sounds magical a perfect escape.

The characters are fun, relatable and interesting, the story is engaging and entertaining.

A story about a leaving everything behind and making a fresh new start, it's never too late.

You won’t be disappointed!
Anna has finally left behind the dreadful Geoff, and has bought herself a ‘house’ in the village of Crovie, to escape from her previous life, where her dreams and ambitions were ignored by the person who should have helped her the most.

This book was a much needed escape from the start of 2021, as we were back in Lockdown again in the UK. Sharon brought the village of Crovie, on the coast of Scotland to life, the smells and sound of the sea and the taste of the food. This is not a book to reading whilst dieting, because the food that Anna prepares for her new friends and customers sounded delicious.

The story follows Anna in her first few months in Crovie, making good friends and the occasional enemy (Douglas McKean), as she decides what to do next with her life. Through a number of adventures/opportunities, Anna quickly becomes part of the local area, boosting tourist numbers and helping when the summer storm threatens to destroy everything. But will she stay or will she go?

This is a lovely book to read, a reminder of why friendship and community are important, especially in times of trouble or illness. Also it is a reminder that it is never too late to change a job or area if it means we can find a passion for something new. My favourite character was Young Robbie, who was determined to protect the local dolphin pod from danger. I look forward to reading more by Sharon in the future.
Firstly thanks to Simon and Schuster UK and Netgalley for an early copy of this book in return for an honest review..

A remote yet beautiful village. A tiny kitchen lunch club. The perfect place to start again.

Anna moves to Crovie, a tiny fishing village on the Moray Firth, for a fresh start. But when she arrives, she realises her new home is really no more than a shed, and the village itself sits beneath a cliff right on the edge of the sea, in constant danger of storms and landslides. Has she made a terrible mistake?

Yet as she begins to learn about the Scottish coast and its people, something she thought she’d lost reawakens in her. She rediscovers her love of cooking, and turns her kitchen into a pop-up lunch club. But not all the locals are delighted about her arrival, and some are keen to see her plans fail.

Will Anna really be able to put down roots in this remote and wild village? Or will her fragile new beginning start to crumble with the cliffs . . . ?

Where to start...............I absolutely loved this book! It had the perfect set up for me, a young lady moving to a new village where she knows nobody but they all want to know her and the book develops on her being accepted into the community and how she develops a new happy life there. Also the relationships are so well written, especially since Anna no longer has her parents.

The Fisherman's Luck, her new house sounds delightful and is almost a character in itself and all of the scenery is so well described, I live in Aberdeen so it doesn't take too much imagination to see in my head the gorgeous village of Crovie as described by the author.

Just gorgeous and so well written, this book has stayed with me despite the fact I read it over a fortnight ago.  I can't wait for it to be released so I can recommend it to my friends and on my Instagram feed!
What a perfect book!

I absolutely devoured this book and became completely entranced with the wonderful array of characters and beautiful surroundings, described so richly by Sharon Gosling.

I always really enjoy books where a character starts over in a completely new place and this is probably one of my favourites as we follow Anna on her purchase of an old cottage in the small village of Crovie in Scotland where her parents had one holidayed. Having lost both her parents, you get the sense that it is in some way a way of replicating their happiness and getting closer to their memories.

Despite the fact that the cottage is more like a shed, I loved the sound of it and can imagine getting all cosy next to a logburner whilst the storm rages outside . Although Anna immediately regrets her purchase, the village and its inhabitants slowly work their magic on her as she becomes an important part of the tiny fishing village.

I could go on forever. Absolutely beautiful - I will be recommending to everyone and anyone!
A brilliant read. I was utterly absorbed in the story from start to finish as I was drawn in by Anna’s story, the little village of Covie and all the people that live there. A really uplifting read about taking chances and battling it out against the odds.
With grateful  thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest opinion.
This is a new author  for me and i have to say totally  blown away by this outstanding  tale.
The setting is really quite spectacular  the characters  some from days gone mixed with new is ab excellent  mix for the little  hamlet each there to welcome new residents  sometimes seen through the eyes of newcomer  Anna Campbell to Old Robbie and not forgetting old Bren.
This was such a captivating tale  from being to end I can't praise this book enough  and highly recommend.
I don’t know when I’ve enjoyed a book so much. The vivid descriptions of a tiny village nestled in the cliffs along the Moray Firth, many likable and relatable characters, and such a warm and inviting story.
Looking for a fresh start, Anna leaves London and moves to the northeast of Scotland.  She’s purchased a cottage she’s only seen photos of online.  After nearly two decades in a toxic relationship, and her father’s recent death, Anna is desperate  to make drastic changes in her life.  Initially feeling decidedly underwhelmed by her tiny cottage, and under appreciated by some locals, Anna is determined to modify the cottage for letting, and to move on.  Gradually the people and the place work their magic and get under her skin.  She finds she cannot leave.
I had a hard time putting the book down as I was so invested in the characters and their stories.  I found myself smiling a lot, and a few times close to tears.
Many years ago I lived in Aberdeenshire, I could so easily picture the village and the colourful locals.  The language, the setting, the people, everything rang true to me.
It was a real pleasure to read this book and I highly recommend it to all.
Thanks to netgalley and Simon and Schuster for an advance copy.