Cover Image: Perimenopause Power

Perimenopause Power

Another important title and on a subject rarely given book space. Practical information and vital knowledge for anyone facing perimenopause. This is a must-have book for anyone over 40!
As someone who prides themselves on their knowledge of menstrual health and even wrote an entire dissertation on periods I realised recently that while I may know a lot about menarche (first period) and everything that comes in between I don’t know a lot about the end of the cycle: menopause. I haven’t read any of Maisie Hill’s work previously but having seen the praise of Period Power everywhere I knew she would be a great place to start learning about the other significant change in every menstruator’s life. I will definitely be getting myself a copy of Period Power soon as Hill’s writing is packed full of key information and medical terms, but is still simple to understand and very engaging.

While I am hopefully quite a few years off menopause myself there are many women in my life who are about to go through, are going through, or have gone through this experience and the best way to support them is definitely by educating myself. Plus, as I was astounded to learn, there are choices I can make and things I can do right now which could affect my experience of menopause in years to come!

Right from the start of this book I began learning things about menopause that I would absolutely never be taught about in school, or possibly not even be told about by my doctor! For example, did you know that menopause is actually only one day long? Menopause is the term for the one year anniversary of your last menstrual cycle and it simply marks the difference between perimenopause, and post menopause. And HRT is definitely not the only treatment route available to you, nor is it as monstrous as the press might have you believe.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter on weight and diet in menopause especially as I suffer with PCOS and a lot of the reasons for hormonal weight gain in menopause overlap with my condition. Some of the tips on which foods to eat or cut out, which forms of exercise to do, and which supplements can be helpful will definitely be useful on my current menstrual journey, not just when I reach perimenopause.

As someone who isn’t currently perimenopausal my biggest takeaway from this book is that education and representation is vital. If I want my experience of menopause to be as good as possible then people need to start talking more about their experiences so society’s views can change. A massive “13 million women in the UK are currently perimenopausal or postmenopausal” and “The British Menopause Society estimates that over one third of women will spend half their lives as postmenopausal women” and yet still the majority are suffering in silence when their symptoms could be easily improved if they spoke up and people willingly listened.
I found this book very informative and it's easy to understand. Would definitely recommend if you are perimenopausal or going through the menopause. Some things I found myself nodding my head about throughout the book. Excellent, would recommend.
Maisie Hill’s first book Period Power was an invaluable tool for me in learning about my cycle. Perimenopause Power follows on with more vital information written in an accessible and entertaining way in a unique voice. I can’t recommend Maisie Hill’s books, podcast and Instagram posts enough, she’s fab!
I found the title of this to be a little misleading as it was more about the menopause than what comes before, but that not withstanding it does explain things very clearly.
At times the dietary advice became confusing, but on the whole this book was informative.
Perimenopause Power is a book that every woman should read! I really wanted to learn more about perimenopause as I am a woman in her early forties and all of my friends seem to be discussing it endlessly. There is so much misinformation out there and GPs don't seem to be particularly helpful about the subject. I was really pleased that I given access to Maisie Hill's book and immediately sat down to read through it.

This book is so accessible - the language is very clear and conversational. The first chapter is called 'WTF is happening?' which immediately sets a conversational tone. A later chapter is entitled 'Moody Bitches'... hilarious! The scientific terms are broken down and simplified - the hormones are even likened to celebrities (The Beyoncé, The Kirsten Stewart)! When discussing symptoms of perimenopause, Maisie Hill offers a range of potential treatments for each. These vary from medication to alternative therapies to psychological interventions. There really is something for everyone. And the author totally normalises all of these, empowering you to make an informed and rational decision about how you might want to approach treatment for perimenopause. She provides case studies detailing how she has worked with specific individuals.

Overall an excellent book and one I'll be recommending to all of my female friends.
Perimenopause Power by Maisie Hill is essential reading for all women and will be a manual for all women reaching the stage of their life where they may be entering perimenopause. I will refer to this book again and again and again. It is a straightforward explanation of every symptom that perimenopause, menopause and post-menopause may bring, the obstacles you may face as part of this, the impact these symptoms may have on your life and the tools, medication and other remedies you can use to try and ease the detrimental effects this change may have. The book is clearly heavily researched, is honest about the general lack of/dated research in this area and how women have been failed to date and is backed up with personal anecdotes as well as client case studies. It is clear that one size does not fit all and armours women with the knowledge required to find the solutions that may work for them. I love this book and will be recommending It to everyone I know.
A really helpful book, which explains how everything works on the way to menopause! No one ever explains what the menopause is all about, but this book explains it all thoroughly. I like the fact that it gives you natural alternatives to help with the issues that you can experience and that it answers questions that you may have thought aren’t to do with menopause and didn’t want to discuss.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.