Cover Image: Every Vow You Break

Every Vow You Break

This was a book I was looking forward to reading. It took me longer than I would have liked to get in to it but once I was through about a third of the book I was hooked.
Every Vow You Break is about Abigail. She is due to marry Millionaire Bruce. On her hen night she has a drunken one night stand with a handsome stranger.
Putting her single life behind her she is married to Bruce and has her dream wedding day. The newlyweds go on honeymoon to Heart Pond Island where Abigail is tracked down by her one night stand who threatens to derail her life.
For me, there wasn’t many likeable characters in this book - I guess you could call Abigail perfectly imperfect?
The ending felt a bit unbelievable but I can’t say much more so as I don’t post spoilers.
It’s the first book I have read by Peter Swanson and I will definitely keep a look out for more.
Thank you to the publisher, author and NetGalley for gifting me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Abigail Baskin never thought she’d fall in love with a millionaire. Then she met Bruce Lamb. He’s a good guy, stable, level-headed, and kind. A refreshing twist from her previous relationships. But right before the wedding, Abigail has a drunken one-night stand on her bachelorette weekend. She puts the incident—and the sexy guy who wouldn’t give her his real name—out of her mind, and now believes she wants to be with Bruce for the rest of her life. Then the mysterious stranger suddenly appears—and Abigail’s future life and happiness are turned upside down. He insists that their passionate night was the beginning of something much, much more. Something special. Something real—and he’s tracked her down to prove it.

This is a very easy, quick read, does not do much in terms of character development, you don't get a sense of anything deep just basic information of what you need to know for the story to work. A perfect, quick read for around the pool or on a beach.
When I first started reading this, I had to check the genre as it wasn’t feeling to thrillery! It felt very contemporary as we were getting a woman’s account of how many men she had slept with. We are taken on a brief journey of her past and how one man led to the other until we are up to date and she is with the man she is planning on marrying.
So, to begin with, the book did feel as if it were plodding slightly, but I persevered after reading some of the other reviews and double-checking the genre too. I knew something wasn’t as it seemed, so I kept reading.
I’m so glad I did, as the book really takes a sinister turn once Abigail and Bruce are on their honeymoon. Like Abigail, it is hard to pinpoint what is wrong with the situation and this perfect paradise her husband has taken her to. Is it the lack of women, the overfamiliarity of some of the guests, or is it merely her past coming back to haunt her?
As the book progresses, I found my heart beating faster and faster. I sensed the danger, and it was utterly thrilling! Just what I’d wanted when I picked up this book. I didn’t guess any of what would happen, and my heart was in my mouth towards the end.
However, there was a slight stagnant section during all the drama; when she is hiding out, this just seemed too long, and you wanted more drama to keep the pace up.
However, overall this was a fantastic and hair-raising read that has its ups and downs but is well worth the read.
I hate leaving negative reviews because reading is so subjective and it's just my opinion, so I will just say that I read this over a period of 4 hours and unfortunately it just didn't do it for me.

I absolutely ADORED A Kind Worth Killing and this will forever be a fabulous pyschological thriller that I happily recommend, but Every Vow You Break was just not a book I enjoyed or believed.
A Fairytale Ending....?
A whirlwind romance leads to marriage to a Silicon Valley millionaire for Abigail Baskin but will she get her fairytale ending? Maybe not. As she is whisked off on a glorious honeymoon to Heart Pond Island she doesn’t have a care in the world. Until she gets there, that is. Claustrophobic suspense from a superb writer.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC copy.

Abigail finds herself swept off her feet by millionaire Bruce and after a whirlwind romance is engaged to be married. But a chance encounter at her bachelorette's party with the mysterious Scottie threatens her happiness when she arrives back in New York. After a fairytale wedding Bruce whisks her away to a private island for their honeymoon and this is when the real problems start. Why are there no other women there? Why are there more staff than guests and is that really the man from her bachelorette party staying there? Coincidence? That's when things really start to take a turn!

I did enjoy this book and found it had me gripped for the first two thirds even though I could see where it was going. For me I just found the fact the Abigail went from a normal person to all out Bear Grylls vigilante at the end a bit too much. I would still recommend as a great 4 star read.
Abigail Baskin is in love. She is engaged to Bruce Lamb, a millionaire. The wedding is less than a month away.

At her bachelorette party (which takes place three weeks before the wedding), Abigail has had too much to drink and meets a man named Scottie. After lots of flirtation (and a few doubts about marrying Bruce), one thing leads to another, she and Scottie spend the night together. Abigail does feel guilty about it but justifies it away as been a drunken, one night stand and moves ahead with the wedding.

Bruce chooses to take Abigail glamping (glamourous camping) for their honeymoon. Bruce has been there before and knows everyone, but Abigail hasn’t. Then Scottie shows up and that when things start to heat up.

Not as fast paced as his previous books, but still a good read.

Thank you to Netgalley and William Morrow for providing me with an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I'm a massive fan of Peter Swason's, and so I was particularly excited to read this.

It's a bit of a slower paced thriller at the start, but it isn’t long until it turns into a nerve-shredding, claustrophobic read. Especially after they land at the 'honeymoon' destination.

Ended up with Every Breath You Take stuck in my head for pretty much the whole length of the book, though.
4.5 terrified little stars!

Goddamn! This book stressed me out so much, by the end I was clenching muscles I didn’t know I had.

What’s great about this book is that up until the epilogue, it’s completely believable which makes it super scary. I feel like Peter Swanson really understands the inherent fear that comes from just being a woman. And at no point does that fear feel invalidated or patronised.

Our MC Abigail kickstarts this book by sleeping with a man who’s not her fiancé on her bachelorette trip. She goes through with the wedding, writing off the infidelity as a mistake she won’t repeat and her and her hubs go off on their honeymoon. Which is where shit starts going down.

The honeymoon island, the setting for most of this book, is absolutely 100% terrible and terrifying. It’s pitched as a resort for rich tech people, a sort of glamping experience where there’s no WIFI and no phone signal, and where you can reconnect with nature. Of course the clientele is mostly white and male. Like I said, very believable and creepy as hell.

Swanson builds the tension so slowly you don’t even know you’re supposed to be scared until it’s too late. Which I loved. From what I understand, this isn’t as twisty and flashy as some of his other works [I’ve only read Rules for Perfect Murders], but I don’t believe that matters in this story. There’s enough clues along the way that you’re pretty sure what’s going to happen, as a reader. And yet, that doesn’t take away from your enjoyment. Or at least it didn’t for me.

Our Abigail, the POV character, was a big part of why this worked so well for me. I felt like she was a fully formed, imperfect person. I found her inner life relatable and her actions very human even when she was making bad choices. But also, I love a slightly lizard-y girl, so take that with a grain of salt.

My only gripe, the tiniest gripe ever, is with the ending. Well, the epilogue. Everything before that is either realistic or entertaining enough that I don’t care whether it’s possible. It was such a visceral ride that I felt the epilogue somehow lacking. I don’t know if this could have been solved by making it longer or shorter or if my issue was with the writing.

In short and without giving too much away, I really enjoyed Swanson’s comments on masculinity, wealth and horror and will definitely check out more of his backlist.
Thank you to Netgalley and Faber and Faber Ltd for the arc of Every Vow You Break by Peter Swanson.

4 star read- Im not going to say too much about this as it is really best going into this without really knowing an plot or synopsis etc so that you really get enthralled in.... but what I can say is that It follows Abigail's Hen do in Californina, USA. She is engaged to be wed to multi millionaire Bruce Lamb in a fortnight on what they call the East Coast. Abigail's POV and narrative it is told in...  It starts off slow at first BUT it gets you right where it should and grips you in and makes you hooked and intrigued and want to find out more.. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Peter Swansons books or if you have read any of this other books.  It was so surreal that it made you think that your in a cinematric film feature!

4 Stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I’ve always enjoyed Peter Swanson’s books as they are twisty and fun, often keeping  me well entertained on cold, dark nights!
Every Vow You Break was a compelling read even if a suspension of belief is required at certain points in the novel. After all it is a work of fiction and as long as it keeps the reader turning the pages it does not matter that some of the events in it are slightly difficult to believe; it is doing a good job as a form of entertainment.
Abigail is about to marry Bruce who is rich and extremely eligible. On her luxury hen weekend paid for by her fiancé, she is seduced by a stranger and begins to doubt her marriage plans. However on her return home she decides to go ahead with Bruce, keeping her infidelity a secret.
Abigail and Bruce marry and he whisks her off to a remote island honeymoon ........this is when things start to go wrong for her and the reappearance of the stranger she slept with  adds a huge complication. The honeymoon idyll gradually turns into something more sinister.
It is in this section of the book that things become very fast paced, leading to an exciting conclusion.
I raced through this novel as like all of Peter Swanson’s books, it had a twisty and gripping plot. I did not sympathise with Abigail at the beginning, her behaviour was appalling, but as the book moved along I definitely started to empathise with her predicament and by the end I was willing her to escape.
All in all this was a fun read that I raced through in a couple of days..
If you’ve read the author’s other books I’m sure you will enjoy this and if you are new to him hopefully it will encourage you to read his other novels which are also excellent reads.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my arc in exchange for an honest review.
This did degenerate a little into farce towards the end but, as it had kept my attention nicely throughout, I thought I'd be generous and round my 3.5 up to the 4 stars.
Abigail is engaged to Bruce. He didn't really set her sparks flying when they met but they rub along nicely on a cerebral level and the physical isn't too shabby, oh, and he's a mega billionaire to boot.
But on her hen weekend she is drunk, and tempted, and succumbs to the wily charms of a man she nicknames Scottie. She soon regrets this and the incident becomes the catalyst for her to go all in on her relationship and wedding to Bruce. But Scottie isn't going to give up any time soon... As she finds out on her honeymoon, on a remote island resort that Bruce co-owns when he appears out of the blue.
Less is definitely more going into this book. You need to sample it in all its glory as the author intends. As things swiftly start to spiral out of control for Abigail once she cottons on to what is really happening, what the real purpose of the idyllic resort is.
Characterisation is tricky to comment on - for obvious reasons once you read the book. But I did feel for Abigail once it all started kicking off. I know reap and sow and all that - but, well, you'll see... Speaking broadly, all the characters were well drawn and I connected with the majority quite well in one way or another. It's hard to explain without spoilers so...
Pacing was good - there was the usual scene setting to be had but then, one the truth was starting to come out, it did race off at a rate of knots; maybe too fast. And, as I already said, did degenerate into farce a tad. But it was thrilling nonetheless.
All in all, not the author's strongest book in my opinion but a worthy read. My thanks go to the Publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
Peter Swanson’s books can be a  bit of a ‘hit and miss’ for me and Every Vow You Break was definitely a ‘miss’. It was slow going, predictable in some places and implausible it others. Hopefully the author will be back on form with his next novel.
Every Vow You Break - Peter Swanson

First of all I'm a big fan of Peter Swanson's books having binge read all his previous books during lockdown last year, and written glowing reviews of most of them on social media.

Abigail Baskin is weeks away from her marriage to Bruce, a Tech entrepreneur. On her luxury Bachelorette Weekend she meets a seductive stranger known as Scottie. The wedding goes ahead, and most of the book takes place on Abigail and Bruce's Honeymood, on an exclusive resort called Heart Pond Island.

All is not as it seems and Abigail soon starts to doubt and then fear those around her.

I was disappointed to be honest, while quite readable, I felt it was lacking the sharp, sinister touches and twists that for me define Peter Swanson's novels.

The setup had potential and was better than the second half which felt more like a Young Adult adventure novel.

Thanks to Netgalley.
I love Peter Swanson, but "Every Vow You Break" was my least favourite of his books so far.
The beginning was quite slow: it took a while to introduce Abigail, the main character, but I didn't much care. After she and her husband went on an island for their honeymoon I became more invested in the story. Indeed, the middle part is the strongest of the book, where we slowly find out that something is wrong and what is actually happening. I must say, however, that the twist wasn't hard to guess and it was too far-fetched for my tastes. I do think you need to suspend your disbelief while reading thrillers, but in this case it was a little too much. The ending also wasn't the best, because it dragged a bit and, again, I found it to be a little too unconvincing.
Not an awful book, but definitely not the best Swanson has to offer.
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. My true rating for this would be 3.75 stars.

This is the story of Abigail. She meets Bruce Lamb who is a multi millionaire and quickly falls for him and they decide to marry. At her Bachelorette party she meets man who calls himself Scottie who later reappears on her honeymoon.

I have had a hard time trying to review this book whilst not giving too much of the plot away. A lot of this book is just setting the scene. How Abigail met Bruce, her previous relationships, her relationship with her parents. Despite that I did enjoy reading this story and it somehow kept me turning the pages even though most of the action was at the end.
I'm torn between deciding if this book is believable or a bit far fetched, and I guess in the world we live in it could happen? A honeymoon used as a guise for revenge rituals by psychopathic men on their 'immoral' new brides? Maybe? While this book was an easy read it was also a bit predictable, and the characters were such that it didn't take too much imagination to figure out who was behind the crazy goings on right from the start. Still that didn't stop me reading on and enjoying the weirdness of it all. Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy of this book.
From the author of my favourite thriller of all time, I have to say sadly I really disliked this. It felt really predictable and the ending was absolutely unpalatable. I volunteered to read and review an early copy of this.
Peter Swanson never disappoints.  An original story with fairytale feel, featuring  Abigail , a quirky character who dresses from vintage shops.  She relates everyday life to movie/book themes.  However its no fairytale for Abigail, when on her honeymoon with her rich husband Bruce, her exlover from a one night stand turns up..
The honeymoon is set on a creepy island called Heart Pond, complete with woods and a tunnel.  Its a retreat for tech people to go to and has no electricity or screens or wifi.
Wonderfully woven thriller of a series of coincidences, so many surprises along the way.  The psychological suspense builds and who can Abigail trust?  It all comes together like a filmset and a satisfying conclusion.
This was a run of the mill thriller .-not a patch on A Kind Worth Killing -In my opinion.
Abigail  meets and falls in love with a billionaire -Bruce.. Yet on her hen party weekend she has a one night stand with a stranger-(Scottie ) .  For their honeymoon -big bucks Bruce whisks Abbie off to a secluded island -which he part owns (obviously). Guess who turns up that first evening ? Good old Scottie !
Needless to say things start to go downhill rapidly .

Not the best for me I'm afraid -it had the feel of a B movie - just  too predictable .

Thankyou NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review