Cover Image: If I Fall

If I Fall

I found this quite original - a group of college friends meet up in a bar when a woman fall of a rooftop -  that is only the beginning. Someone knows them very well, and watches their every move. Secrets and lies abound - a great read.
If I Fall is written by Merilyn Davies and is a well written crime book. It had me absolutely invested from the first chapter.

Carla Brown is on a date night with her partner and it isn't going very well. She notices a female sitting by herself and looking around suspiciously. Carla thinks something isn't right, two minutes later the female has jumped off the rooftop to her death. The police are called and think it is just an open and shut suicide case. Carla has other ideas being a crime analyst and is given 24 hours to find evidence that it in fact her death wasn't a suicide or the case will be handed to CID. We are left thinking, did Alice commit suicide or did someone make her jump?

We find out that same night a reunion has been organised at the same bar for four people. Alice, Simon, Hannah and Ash. It is strange having a reunion just for four people with a big room booked. We find out what happened in the past to understand what is going on right now. Another person from the reunion turns up dead in unusual circumstances and re-opens the case regarding Alice's death. I don't want to give too much away to ruin the twists and turns of this book. I recommend going in with your eyes closed.

I loved reading this book and did not want to put my Kindle down. I was 100% invested in knowing what was going to happen next. I did not realise this is the second book in the series, in saying that you wouldn't need to read book one first and can easily read as a standalone novel. The characters of Detective Sergeant Nel and Carla Brown are written in a way you get to learn about them as you read (without having to read book one).

Thank you Netgalley and Random house UK for the advanced copy for an honest review.
This is a brilliant set to read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
This book has an intriguing start, and the story unfolds nicely. It is well-written, and it was an easy read. However, I did not particularly like the characters in the book. I felt like I lost my concentration at some point due to the lack of attachment to the characters. I only really enjoyed reading about Alice, and her I felt sorry for. No one should have to go through what she had to go through. The setting is nice, I enjoyed the banter regarding the universities in Oxford.
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and Merilyn Davies for the eARC, in exchange for an honest review.

A thoroughly riveting read.
Gritty and intense.
A page-turning thriller, keeping you on the edge of your seat.

I would highly recommend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This sure is a dark and gripping read. This is the second installment in a series but works perfectly well as a standalone. Going in, I had no idea that it was a police procedural, and I was just a little let down by it. I really like the “reunion gone badly” setting and was hoping for the same, which it was, but not really. The plot is surely interesting but like most other police procedurals, I found it a bit formulaic and clichéd, I’d expect better from the police, lol, but I suppose it adds a realistic touch to it. All the characters were super interesting and dark, I liked the gritty vibes of it. Oh and the cover is great, and that’s what caught my attention the first.

Thanks to Netgalley, the author, and publishers for the DRC. All opinions are my own.
Ooh wow this was a great page turner from page one, loved everything about this book and read it in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down and it kept me guessing, Highly recommend it x
A fun and thrilling read!

I always love a good psychological thriller, and if there are some toxic friendships, even better! I enjoyed reading this and will definitely keep an eye on the author!
This is the second of a police procedural/ crime thriller series featuring crime analyst Carla Brown and DS Nell Jackson. I had not read the first but this did not hinder my enjoyment of this book, instead it made me want to go back and read this to see what aspects of the characters I could get. It is certainly a series I would be interested to read more of Sami enjoyed the characters and the writing style.
The plot is very interesting as we start with the tram being called out to a suicide, this occurs after a select band of ex university graduates are invited to a roof top bar for a reunion. No one seems to know who has made the invitation or why. Some of this group are estranged and most are not friends.
The interesting topic of how some extreme religious groups deal with homosexuality and what extraordinary lengths they will go to to “cure” their own made me actually flinch reading about it. Making it more realistic as it was happening in plain sight in a modern day situation was compelling reading and the mystery surrounding the suicide and subsequent death and kidnap of the invitees was fast paced and well written.
The story line was quite different and this helped to keep my interest. I look forward to more in this series abs will be going back to read #1.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
We were told to meet at the rooftop bar. No one knew why we were there. Then we saw a woman as she fell fron the edge ans plunged to her death. The police think it was suicide, bit i know beter.

We follow four friends who are connected by a secret. This story follows on a few months after When I Lost You, the first book featuring Crine Analyst Carla Brown and DS Nell Jackson. This is an intriguing and gripping read. As more of the story unravels, the more you have to read to find out exactly what has happened. At first, we don't know what links everyone or why. Most of the characters are not very nice and the stoey covers revenge, religious connotations, abuse and violence. This is a well written, fast paced read and i read it in ine sitting. I just couldn't put it down.

I would like to thank #NetGalley, #RandomHouseUK #Cornerstone and the author #MerilynDavies for my ARC #IfIFall in exchange for an honest review.
If I Fall is the second instalment in the Carla Brown, a Crime Analyst, and Detective Sergeant Nell Jackson series. Beginning a few months after the incidents in the first book, Carla is attending an uncomfortable date with her boyfriend; their relationship is currently on a knife edge due to the betrayal, deceit and unravelling of deep, dark secrets a short time ago. Whether their relationship survives could really go either way. The date night takes place at a fashionable bar with a rooftop terrace that draws in the punters when Carla gets a feeling something is wrong. A shifty and nervous looking woman stands not too far from them. She stands out like a sore thumb against the rest of the bar's clientele who are dressed to impress, whereas this woman wears ragged, dirty clothes and Carla believes her to be homeless. To her horror a mere minute or two later the woman nears the edge of the roof and appears to purposefully jump to her death. The local police believe it to be an open and shut case of suicide but Carla's gut instinct tells her otherwise. Her idea that there is something underhand going on is confounded when she overhears three other patrons at the bar that evening having a conversation. The meeting of the four of them was apparently a reunion but later they claim to not know who the woman was or anything about her.

What exactly have the group got to hide? What connects the remaining trio to the deceased? Carla believes the lies and duplicity warrants an investigation but trying to encourage suspicion of the death in her colleagues is not as easy as she thought it would be. She is more or less alone in her pursuit of the truth but her theory that foul play was involved is confirmed when one of the remaining members of the reunion trio turns up dead and there is no longer room for doubt that there is an underlying criminal and shady cause for the two deaths. Can Carla and DS Jackson get to the truth of the matter or will the deaths be forever shrouded in secrecy? This is a compulsive and enthralling cross between a police procedural and a psychological thriller with a narrative that features twist after stunning twist and enough drama to keep you racing through the pages. Both the main plot, regarding the reunion, and the personal lives of the cast, especially Carla's, are equally as interesting as one another, which is unusual, and the paciness coupled with the slow unravelling of terrible secrets that bound the four individuals together make this a captivating and absorbing thrill ride. The storyline is an original and pretty unique one which is what initially piqued my interest and our protagonists, Carla and Nell, are likeable, relatable and all too human. Roll on book three.
This is the first book that I have read by Merilyn Davies, and did not realise there were earlier instalments to the characters in the book, but this was a good read.
From the beginning  a girl seems to jump from a building committing suicide but it is investigated as a murder.
Enjoyed reading the back story of the book, which had me guessing.
Good read and enjoyed it being set in Oxford, England.
I’ll start off by saying that I didn’t realise that this book was part of a series when I started it. I did think while I was reading that some of the characters within the investigating team felt like they needed more background information which I now realise may be because I haven’t read the first book.

That aside though, I found this book very interesting, and I sped through it in a day. The book has good lgbt representation and at the same time sheds light on issues like homophobia & gay conversion therapy and really makes you think about how going through these kinds of things as a young person can effect you in later life.

I did think that some of the characters felt a bit underdeveloped and that, of the main suspects, the eventual killer was the only fleshed out character in my opinion which made it a little obvious who the guilty party was.

However I did like the unsure aspect of whether the death in the first chapter was actually a suicide or not, and I liked that this was continued to pretty much the end of the book where we found out what had actually happened.
————————————————————————

Overall a solid read, if a little lacking in some character development. I also wish I’d read the first book in the series before I got started on this one. Still though, I really enjoyed this story & appreciated the themes it dealt with well.
Tortuous, gritty, and addictive!

If I Fall is a malicious, chilling thriller that sees DS Nell Jackson working once again with Crime Analyst Carla Brown when the apparent suicide of a homeless women leads back to a small group of friends who seem to be covering up sinfully wicked actions from the past.

The prose is crisp and tight. The characters are flawed, troubled, and authentic. And the plot is an intense, gripping tale full of twists, turns, intrigue, deception, revenge, religious connotations, suspicious personalities, abuse, bigotry, violence, and murder.

Overall, If I Fall is a raw, cunning, intricate tale by Davies that’s another promising addition to what could turn out to be with its well-drawn, intriguing characters and darkly creative storylines an amazing, must-read series.
I found this an odd book to read I wanted to like it, it sounded interesting, and had some diverse characters, and I liked that. However I just didn't connect with the characters or the book, I wonder if it is just me. I hope other readers enjoy it more.
Firstly a big thank you to Lydia for my copy to review and having me on the tour. I did a blogger mistake and didnt read on time…lockdown ,kids ,uni …

I am a big fan of this author as a author and a person, shes lovely and always so complimentary on social media. I also had the pleasure to meet her at capital crime (book events remember those) .

This is her second novel which sees us reunited with Carla and Nell ready to crack a new case . This book is packed with suspense amd intrigue as we race to discover whos the killer and whats the truth?

Secrets are revealed and wow it is unecpected! Unpredictable and hooks you in and turning the pages.

Fantastic charactars and an original storyline that will no doubt have this book flying off the shelves.

I really emjoyed this and highly recommend if you like psychological crime thrillers.

Published 4th march in paperback and do check out the other blogs taking part.
I read and loved Merilyn’s first book called ‘When I Lost You’ which was released in 2019.  ‘When I Lost You’ was the first book in the series featuring Carla Brown, a Crime Analyst, and Detective Sergeant Nell Jackson.  When I heard that the second book in the series (‘If I Fall) was due for release I just knew that I had to read it as soon as I could manage to grab hold of a copy.  Officially ‘If I Fall’ isn’t due to be released until 1st March 2021, but I was lucky enough to be able to take a sneaky read of an early review copy.  Oh my word, ‘If I Fall’ is a fantastic addition to the series and I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it but more about that in a bit.
It didn’t take me long at all to get into this book.  In fact as soon as I started to read, I knew that I was going to be in for one hell of a read and then some.  To say that reading ‘If I Fall’ became addictive is a mahoosive understatement.  I was intrigued by the apparent suicide of one of the characters and the reasons behind it.  As more of the story unfolded, my interest grew and I had to keep reading to see how the story panned out for the characters.  The pages turned over increasingly quickly as I worked my way through the story.  The more of the book I read, the more I wanted to read and the quicker the pages seemed to be turning.  All too quickly I reached the end of the book and I had to bid farewell to Brown and Jackson.
‘If I Fall’ is superbly written.  The fact that the author herself used to be a Crime Analyst for the Metropolitan Police makes the story seem that bit more authentic with details and procedures etc.  The author certainly knows how to grab your attention from the start and draws you into what proves to be a complex story.  I won’t go into too much more details because I would hate to spoil the book for anybody.  Reading ‘If I fall’ felt like being on an at times scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with more twists and turns to it than you would find on a ‘Snakes & Ladders’ board.  For me, ‘If I Fall’ is an unputdownable, page turner of a read, that kept me guessing and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘If I Fall’ and I would definitely recommend it to other readers.  I will certainly be reading more of Merilyn’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
I’ve literally just finished this book and my head is reeling.  I found this novel intense, heart breaking and dark.  But, it wasn’t really the murders and violence that made me feel this way; the themes explored throughout this book were chilling and raw and have left me bereft and exhausted (I mean all this as a positive from a book perspective).
What initially looks like a suicide sends DS Nell Jackson and her team down a rabbit hole of murder, revenge and suppression.
The plot of this novel is fast paced, intense and has more surprises than a Kinder Egg.  To begin with, everything seems routine and I was lulled into a false sense of this being a simple ‘Who dun it and why?’ scenario but I soon realised it was so much more than that.  I enjoyed how clues and information was given slowly – allowing the reader to digest, process and think about before forming opinions – which are then blown wide open again with the next piece.  Just when I thought I had an idea what was happening, something came along to add in a whole new dimension.
Without going into spoiler mode, the plot delves into the realms of control and how much of it people can exert.  It’s a study of human nature and how far we can be pushed before we cannot take anymore and is very clever and chilling.  Told mainly from the perspectives of Carla and Nell with the occasional chapter from Rachel (a victim’s wife), the reader gets to see different viewpoints and slowly watch the answers come into focus.
I loved DS Nell Jackson – she’s smart and intelligent but also passionate and human.  Her impulsiveness is both her best friend and her worst enemy.  Carla Brown (civilian crime analysts) also has her own issues to manage but is a calmer and insightful member of the team, thinking a little more out of the box and less like an officer.  Together they are a formidable duo and with their supportive and dynamic team – they work through the pieces of this puzzle relentlessly until reaching a solution.
The first novel in the Nell Jackson series, When I Lost You, is high on my TBR and I cannot wait to read more about her.
Thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for the arc of If I Fall by Merilyn Davies.

4 star read- This was a great thrilling compelling and gripping read this follows 4 friends which are bound by a secret that's haunting them...  then witnessed a woman who fell from the edge of a rooftop.. they think its suicide so does the police but is it or was it something else??

Recommend a great one my first by this author but doesn't disappoint!! 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book has been completely and utterly impossible to put down. I have been completely gripped, suspicious of all the characters involved and completely unable to predict where this book was going. This is well-written, completely addictive and all round a wonderful gem. I absolutely recommend this book.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️