Cover Image: Nineteen Eighty-Four

Nineteen Eighty-Four

I loved this rendition of this brilliant classic! The narration was excellent and it was a fascinating read
Audio ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Audio review - narrator was brilliant. Excellent reading and really captured Winston's mindset throughout this harrowing novel.

The book - there's a reason that this is a classic. While I do believe Orwell suffered from leaning into the inbuilt human negativity bias too much at times, the message of this book is as relevant today as when it was first written. Yes, I know the year 1984 was a few decades ago now, and we're not living in the futuristic high tech societies promised by fifties sci-fi, but it really doesn't matter. 1984 and it's pov character Winston, speak to the human need for freedom and curiosity and the terrible consequences of that when you live in a society that intends to train you into certain lines of thought. There are frightening parallels here with our own society. The way those at the top contribute to keeping a dirt poor and repulsive underclass in place and a frustrated, mean and angry middle class above them. In 1984 this is carefully engineered. Someone is in control. It's a diabolical plan but there is a mastermind. In our own reality, no one is flying the plane and that's even more frightening.

In many ways the message of this book - question everything, do not succumb to lazy thought patterns where you don't verify information, strive to be free in your own mind at least - is reflected in trends in social media. It is so easy to end up with our own 'Big Brothers'. We form echo chamber communities online, expelling voices who disagree with ours. We pursue our own confirmation bias instead of accepting that it's possible to completely disagree with an opinion or a piece of information and yet still consider it from all angles. I genuinely believe this is an essential skill we are losing and we will be the poorer for it. The way it's so easy to fall from grace at the least infraction against the crowd is also shockingly apposite. Consider the last time you saw a Twitter dragging. It's so easy to get drawn in, and yet people say and d stupid things or may even have a point. Views contrary to yours are not necessarily evil.

I could go on but that's the subject for a podcast episode I think so I'll end it here. Orwell makes some excellent points. If this is a book you've always meant to read, don't put it off. It's not a happy story but it is an important one.
Having never read 1984 before, I was excited to finally give it a go! I found it a very interesting and thought-provoking read, and it's certainly still relevant today. For an older book, it is still fairly accessible and actually the writing style doesn't really feel dated at all. There are naturally some parts that haven't aged well (e.g. some definite misogyny) but for the most part this could have been written in the last 10 years. It was interesting to see how the book has influenced popular culture today - I was slightly aware that 'Big Brother' came from this but as I read I came across other things that I didn't know originated in this book. It was rather slow - for example the sections which are literally read out from a sort of textbook I did find pretty dull and hard to concentrate on - but because of this I think it works particularly well as an audiobook. Of course I have to mention the narrator - Peter Capaldi does a fantastic job on this and his narration worked perfectly for me.
Full review available at: https://talesfromabsurdia.com/book-reviews/nineteen-eighty-four-audiobook-review/
------------------

Nineteen Eighty-Four is one of those timeless novels and a testament to the power of language.

Such is its influence, adaptations have spanned film, television, radio, the theatre, and even ballet! Not to mention the numerous pop culture nods to the novel.

Penguin’s latest edition is an audiobook, narrated by the incredibly charismatic Peter Capaldi – the second ‘doctor’ of Dr Who fame to be involved in a production, following Christopher Ecclestone’s 2013 dramatisation.

Capaldi’s a perfect fit for the role. His austere narration captures the solemnity of Orwell’s dystopian classic. It’s bleak, atmospheric, and terrifying – mirroring the novel itself.

The novel translates to audiobook almost flawlessly, thanks to the high quality audio you expect from Penguin Random House UK Audio, not to mention Peter Capaldi’s impeccable performance.

If you enjoy dystopian fiction, this is the novel for you.

And yet, this is to be somewhat reductive – Nineteen Eighty-Four audiobook (or paperback) is essential reading for anyone who values democracy and free expression.
Great book, and Peter was a fantastic narrator. Thr book kept me on the edge wondering throughout. Truly I still don't even know if I've formed any conclusions one way or the other, is he mad or is it real? Will definitely stick in my mind for time to come.
This book had been on my must read for a while and I was lucky enough to get an audio copy from the publishers and netgalley for an honest review.
Peter Capaldi is such an excellent narrator of this version of 1984 by George Orwell. I've not read this before and it's astonishing how current it is. I do wonder what Orwell would think of fronted adverbials and home school where we are all currently reliant on screens like never before. Very worth a listen.
'Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past'. Hidden away in the Record Department of the sprawling Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith skilfully rewrites the past to suit the needs of the Party. Yet he inwardly rebels against the totalitarian world he lives in, which demands absolute obedience and controls him through the all-seeing telescreens and the watchful eye of Big Brother, symbolic head of the Party. In his longing for truth and liberty, Smith begins a secret love affair with a fellow-worker Julia, but soon discovers the true price of freedom is betrayal. George Orwell's dystopian masterpiece, Nineteen Eighty-Four is perhaps the most pervasively influential book of the twentieth century.
Before I carry on, Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell in exchange for my honest review.  This has been a book I have meaning to read for the longest time and this year I thought I would tick it of my list.
I don’t normally read dystopian novels so I was a little out of my comfort zone, but I must say that I enjoyed every second of this book. I can really understand why this is a much-loved classic and why so many people have studied it as it is so relevant for the world we are living in. The story makes you view things in a different way and I think it will really influence me in day-to-day life.
I listened to the audiobook version which was narrated by Peter Capaldi. I found his voice very relaxing and calming. I do find it hard to concentrate on audiobooks as my mind always wonders off somewhere, but Peter Capaldi did not loose my attention once.
I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this book and I highly recommend it to everyone. I also recommend the audiobook narrated by Peter Capaldi.
1984 is a timeless classic that was so ahead of its time. Read by the excellent Peter Capaldi he brought his magic to the story and I was emerged into the world of Winston Smith.

In a time where the past kept getting rewritten to suit the present time to the point there was no past. Brainwashed by the media, the government and its representatives. Forced to live how the government want, with no say in how anyone can live or speak. Even thoughts were not allowed. No freewill at all. It's clear to see why people are saying we are living this book right now. But sometimes they can remember. Very thought provoking
I think the plot for 1984 speaks for itself. The dystopian world of Big Brother is one most people are familiar with, and whilst this was my first time reading this book I feel I went into with some idea of what to expect.
Peter Capaldi's narration was absolutely perfect for this book. He created the perfect atmosphere, and his character voices really lifted the words of the page. I really enjoyed this book, I can't say that I loved the actual story (Animal Farm is the benchmark for me), but I couldn't fault this audiobook version. It was atmospheric, and hyper-realistic, and naturally I couldn't help making parallels to today's society.
This is a timeless book, and this version is just as timeless.
A remarkable book with a stunning reading, no matter how many times you've read it, you can listen to this again.
Like most people, I already have a copy of the Nineteen Eighty-Four on my bookshelves but the lure of the majestic Peter Capaldi tempted me into requesting a copy.  He is a beguiling choice for the narrator of this recent edition of a genuine classic.  Capaldi expertly guides the reader through the various stages of Winston’s emotions from Big Brother drone to a tortured soul.   You hang on every intonation, especially during the inevitable destruction of Winston’s spirit.  He makes the powerful words even more visceral.

Every generation brings more readers that have the satisfaction of discovering this powerful story for the first time and with more & more people using audiobooks to consume literature, having an actor of Capaldi’s gifts to read the book was a stunning decision.

The blending of the compelling & frightening words of Orwell and the voice of Capaldi is sublime and will wow all who hit play.
The classic 1984. It doesn't even require review. The story is always is perfect. The narrator's voice was very interesting, the way of speech ,changing voice tones, feeling of living inside the book everything was brought to life. The only part which I did not like was that the voice was very low, even despite increasing the volume of my device the audio was still a little low.
Big Brother in 1960s Easter Block Countries- that''s what this brought to mind for me. I'm so glad I listened to this as it's deep, heavy, intense at times and I thoroughly having it read to me but 'I'm not sure I'd have has the perseverance to continue with such intensity myself. It opened so many questions , so many avenues of thought. It is more poignant and thought provoking now that it ever was in the past. It is a must read, or must listen for anyone interested in the content but not prepared for the hard slog- like me!!!!
Many thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Random House UK Audio for my copy of this audiobook. Having never previously read / listened to Nineteen Eighty-Four, when I spotted that this brand new audio version was coming out I decided that now was finally the time. Peter Capaldi's narration is superb - so much feeling and power behind his words. It's a very thought-provoking book that feels particularly pertinent to today's turbulent political world, and Orwell's foretelling of so many aspects of the future is quite chilling on many levels. Big Brother is always watching after all! This said, at times I lost interest and felt the book was overly long, and the appendix about the changes to the language at the end was rather dull and didn't seem necessary.
I have read 1984 a few times and enjoyed the creepy dystopian big brother vibes. I requested this audiobook based on my love of Peter Capaldi (yes he is my favourite) and I wasn’t disappointed. He just has one of those voices you can listen to for ages. I think this audiobook will be very popular and Capaldi brings something different to the main character . Thank you netgalley for my arc
This is one of my favourite books of all time.  I first read it as an O level text in 1963 and was hooked.  At that time, the world was gripped by the Cold War and the Cuban crisis and the threat of some dystopian disaster felt very real.  It’s amazing how many phrases and ideas in this book have become part of every day language including the notion of something being Orwellian and tv shows, Big Brother and Room 101.  Eric Blair was a writer of influence, every book explores numerous themes and along with Animal Farm which also examines power, control and fractured society and values, Nineteen Eighty Four is strikingly relevant.

We are increasingly controlled, surveilled, manipulated and ordered by Government.  Although living in a democracy, free speech isn’t as free as we may wish and thought control is the next step from mind control which is already underway.  Most will be familiar with Winston Smith’s struggle to conform and this dark story is absolutely timeless.  Peter Capaldi’s narration sets just the right tone.  Although he’s older than Winston, the delivery feels like  Winston’s voice.  There’s just the right level of monotone mixed with hope, despair, fear, indifference and more. I enjoyed it more than another narrated version where Philip Glenister is the voice.

My thanks to Penguin for a review copy of the audio file via Netgalley.
This was a fascinating audiobook. I have wanted to read this book for years so I was thrilled to be approved for it on NetGalley.
The premise of Big Brother was, and still is, an interesting concept to me. Can a Party effectively run a dictatorship but control people's thoughts and any diversion be punished?
This was a 'very wordy' book, so needed a lot of concentration on my part, but the substance is very powerful, and Peter Capaldi's narration is nothing short of sublime, perfect for the book. As the book progresses, the urgency and tragic nature was portrayed beautifully.
1984 is an uncomfortable reminder of how the modern world is watching you. The entire book feels like a poke into the paranoid part of your brain; unfortunately, because we are more aware than ever of the fact that Big Brother most certainly is watching us, the chill-factor is significantly reduced compared to the impact it would have had upon its release.

The Party is a group which tells you what to do, what to read, how to think and basically how to be an appropriate human being in the world they have envisaged for you. Winston does as he's told, until the day that he doesn't.

1984 is a story built to make you check over your shoulder, but it isn't inherently designed to make you care about the characters. As a predominantly character driven reader, this was problematic for me. The world wasn't enough to carry less refined characters, because frankly we almost live in it now!
I've wanted to read 1984 for a very long time so jumped at the chance to listen to it as an audiobook.

I've mixed feelings about it. While I enjoyed the book itself and the overall concept I did find it dragged at parts and I found myself completely bored.
The story was very clever and had many underlying aspects intertwined throughout the book but it just felt flat. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.

Personally I think it possibly doesn't suit as an audiobook as it's a quite drawn out story where very little actually happens. The voice of Peter Capaldi did hold me however and I did get to find out what happened in the end.

3/5
This is an incredible book that I think everyone should read at least once. It is harrowing, poignant and terrifyingly relevant given its age. If you don't fancy reading it, this audiobook is well narrated and captivating, I would highly recommend it.