Cover Image: How to Kill Your Family

How to Kill Your Family

Loved this book! Was completely compelling and ingenious and gobbled it up! Although this book is uncomfortable at times you feel empathy for the main character
"I've killed several people, but I'm currently in jail for a murder I didn't commit." I have to admit, it's quite an intriguing premise for a novel. And at first, I really enjoyed pretty much everything about this story. The main character was unapologetic about her actions, with biting humour layered throughout her retelling of her first murders. But then she became more of a mean girl. The nasty comments weren't just reserved for those who had wronged her, she started to look down on everyone and everything. Add in a large dose of "I'm not like other girls!"-style feminism and that was me done. I struggled to get to the 50% mark, but then I gave up.
This was not for me. I just did not find it humorous. The main character was unlikeable which would have not bothered me if part of the books “reason to exist” was to make us understand her if not to accept the murders but at least to understand the why.
Absolutely loved this book. Bella Mackie's prose is witty and sharp with cutting edge black humour. Highly recommended.
A brilliantly dark comical read.

We follow Grace as she slowly and systematically kills members of her estranged family, seeking revenge. Grace, in all her flawed glory, is a brilliantly likable character. Told from her diary entries in prison we slowly catch up with what's happened and how she ended up incarcerated. I really enjoyed the twists and turns towards the end of the book and I found the author's voice incredibly readable.
If you're a fan of dark humour, mixed with murder, How To Kill Your Family is one for you. There isn't much I can say about the plot without ruining it, but it's a darkly delicious romp through the mind of a serial killer. One who is somehow almost quite likable. Calling out hypocrisy. Refusing to accept being less than. Putting men in their place when they overstep. But also vulnerable. And strangely moral. Mindless killing is not ok according to Grace. Righting a wrong however, is perfectly fine.

I did find the writing a little long winded at times, but in general, it captured my attention. I could see some of the twists coming, but the final whammy was a shocker. So much I want to say about that but I can't without spoiling it.

All in all, a really enjoyable read with plenty of laugh out loud moments due to Grace's pithy one liners.
Disturbingly dark and full of humour, with a conniving, cunning and terrifyingly savage narrator and flawless observations that are just so deliciously wicked. An absolutely brilliant take on the revenge thriller!
Well written, highly enjoyable crime caper, with dark humour running through it. Comparisons have to made to the old Alec Guinness film Kind Hearts and Coronets - the plot is essentially the same, although carried out in a different way. This is not a criticism - it’s a reworking of a brilliant plot in an equally brilliant way. And of course who can not think about Killing Eve while reading it? In fact, I found myself visualising the central character as Jodie Comer - she would be the outstanding choice to play this character without a doubt!
I absolutely loved this book and have been recommending it to everyone since reading it! The perfect mix of murder and comedy. Grace Bernard is the perfect anti-hero! I can't wait to see what is next from Bella Mackie, definitely one of my favourite books this year.
Dark humoured and grim, this story of murder and revenge for wrongdoings by rich people was quite satisfying, and there was a nice 'twist' at the end. Very modern feeling.
Oh this was fabulous! Really enjoyed this novel. I loved all the asides and social commentary, possibly even more than the actual murders!

Grace, the main character, lived with her mother and following her mother's death, Grace sought to make her father pay for abandoning her mother and refusing to acknowledge her as his daughter by calming murdering six members of his family.

However, over the course of the novel Grace is imprisoned for a crime she did not commit. And it all unravels from this point...I have to say I loved this twist! So clever!

I can't wait to read more by Bella Mackie, Thank you to Netgalley and publisher for providing this ARC.
Kind hearts and coronets meets Killing Eve with a bit of the Talented Mr Ripley thrown in for good measure. Grace Bernard is in prison for a crime she didn’t commit but she’s here to tell us the story of the crimes she did commit; multiple murders, of her entire family no less.
Grace details how she planned and executed the execution of her no good relatives and the reasons for doing what she did. It’s difficult not to like Grace she’s sharp and clever and funny and she doesn’t give a flying fudge. I found myself completely on her side for the entire book and had to remind myself multiple times that she was doing despicable things. I felt terrible that she was in prison for something she hadn’t done even though she deserved to be in prison for the things she had. The twist at the end I saw elements of through the book but couldn’t tell how it was all going to shake out and it ended being totally satisfying and completely frustrating at the same time. So good. It was the only way to end it.  Throughly engrossing.
I was massively intrigued by the premise of this book and it didn't disappoint. We follow Grace who is in prison for a murder she didn't commit - but only after she got away with killing six members of her family! She almost appreciates the irony.

This has Killing Eve vibes as we follow Grace planning and undertaking the murders in totally different ways - including one in a sex club!

It is very funny - Grace is an absolutely savage narrator. I just personally found the pacing a bit off leaving the ending feeling rushed. I still highly recommend this as it was a very fun read.
How to Kill Your Family is Bella Mackie’s first fictional release, and its absolute genius. Disturbingly dark and wickedly funny, it’s the ultimate story of revenge, family and twisted love.

Grace has a plan to kill her family, which she calmly and clinically executes. Her estranged father abandoned Grace and her mother when she was young. Now her mother is gone, Grace is alone and decide to make him pay in every way possible.

The story flips from Grace’s prison cell to her murderous spree, during which is unleashes a calculated plan of murder and revenge.

I loved the cleverly complex plot and the strong, captivating lead character, who despite her serial killer tendencies is really likeable.  Sinister plot a side, its oddly uplifting and funny as hell!
So original. So clever. So well-written. My copy is filled with highlights of brilliant passages and phrases that I didn't want to forget. It's a real skill to make a book about multiple murders - some pretty gruesome - both funny and easy to read. I absolutely loved it.
This book is something I don't typically pick up and read, but I'm glad that Netgalley and harpercollins for allowing me to read it.
I got drawn in my the cover, as it is simple and appealing. I read the description and thought I'd push myself to read something I don't normally as I'm wanting to broaden my horizons when it comes to read. Also it is a debut novel, and I really enjoy helping new authors share their work.

It was not a cozy read, however the dark humour and wit really kept me hooked. The main character Grace, is not a hero and typically in any other book you wouldn't root for her,  however in this novel you want her to succeed. Grace is snobbish, vengeful, observational and has a plan and belief system that she does not hesitate to share with the reader as she tells her story from inside her cell block. Her detailed back story, makes you feel pity and sorrow for her, however you do have to remember she is a serial killer.

If your looking for something R rated, funny, gruesome and outrageously entertaining easy read, I  highly reccomend this.
For 95% of How To Kill Your Family I was certain I'd be giving it a 4 star review - it was entertaining and gripping, with a fascinating and darkly unique narrator. Then it pulled something off in the last chunk that I can't help but applaud, something I really hadn't seen coming and worked so fantastically. Perfect for crime fans with a twisted side...
I had very high expectations due to the excellent reviews on social media. "How to kill your family" has a strong voice and a unique approach, but unfortunately it just wasn't for me: the long-winded first person meander inside the protagonist's thoughts felt a bit too slow-paced and forced. I'm disappointed, but I know this is just a matter of taste and many others will love it.
#HowToKillYourFamily is the read for you if you like your fiction darkly funny & filled with murder.

Grace was rejected by her philandering biological father at birth, to make things worse he rejects her again upon her mother’s death when she was in her early teenage years.  So she decides to set things right by murdering him & his entire family, making her the sole beneficiary of his vast wealth.

I loved this book, it was interesting to live in Grace’s head and experience her way of thinking which is so outside of societal norms.  It reminded me of the Sweetpea books by CJ Skuse, the difference being that this heroine had a clearer motive for her actions.

There is a huge twist at the end, and I didn’t see it coming. However I hated the twist! Unless there’s going to be a sequel….. my sister also read this book, and she loved the twist so give it a go! We all have different tastes.

Thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for my free advance copy in return for an unbiased review. Please let there be a sequel! I will definitely be looking into the author and reading her other work.
I didn’t love this as much as I wanted to? It was funny and lighthearted, I think I just wanted something a little more? Maybe a bit darker in tone? It wasn’t bad at all, just not entirely what I was expecting.