Cover Image: Fat and Queer

Fat and Queer

OKAY, this short story was a wild ride. There were ones I loved and ones I hated and a lot right in the middle. I had very high expectations for this, and honestly, they weren't fulfilled. A breakdown of my ratings for the stories are as follows:
Fat Queer Freaks- Hannah Props: 2.5
Cantaloupe Season- L.J. Stiler: 4.5
The Gender Nonconformity of my Fatness- Caleb Luna: 4.5
Incorrect Attribution- A Collision of Fatness and Gender- Alyssah Roth: 3.5
A Sexy Fat Shower Time Playlist Confessional- Eddy Francisco Alvarez Jr.: 3
A Fat Lot of Good that Did: How an Art Studio Transformed My Eyes- Jerome Steuart: 3.5
About My Breasts Since You Asked- Sheree Vernon: 4
Fat Top/Switch- Emilia Phillips: 3
I'm Not Masc of Center Because I'm Fat- Emilia Phillips: 2.5
She Doesn't Need Any More Dresses- M.P. Armstrong: 3
So Not a Big Deal- Haley Sherif: 5
They Does Not Fit Like a Thundershirt Should: Nicole Oquendo (after: Wren Hanks): 3.5
Growing Up Fat Made Coming Out Harder (But Now I'm Queer, Fat, and Thriving)-Samantha Puc: 5
And Then...- K.M. Steigleder: 4
The End of the World- C. Adán Cabrera: 4
Land Acknowledgement for My Body- Alix Sanchez: 4
Legacy- Miguel M. Morales: 3.5
Montra of the Fat F***** No. 27 'Develop a Skin Thicker Than the One You're In'-Dan Vera: 4
Seven Unsalted Appetities- Your Fat Friend: 4
Him- D. Nolan Jefferson: 2.5
The Haunted House- Bruce Owens Grimm: 3
Grown- Johnathan Hillman: 3
The Trash Heap Has Spoken- Carmen Marie Machdao: 3
This was a lovely collection, and there's a broad enough range of themes and formats in it that most people should find something in it for them. It great to see a collection centring the overlaps and intricacies of the fat queer experience. Some pieces in here are wonderfully written and it's incredibly important for this type of collection to exist today.
<b>Thanks to Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for providing an ARC in exchange for a review.</b>

<i>CW: homophobia, fat phobia, eating disorders, mental health</i>

I did everything I could to don't end this book soon because I've never felt omething like that when reading a book.Fat And Queer is an anthology from multiples fat and queer authors who used their voices in poetries and proses. Although I could relate to some of them (Like Growing Up Fat Made Coming Out Harder (But Now I'm Queer, Fat, and Thriving), specially when it said "Any time I saw queerness after that—on screen or in real life— I felt hyper-aware of how my family reacted to the scene), there were others that were really hard to read and it would be deeply appreciated the use of trigger warnings.

In general, it was a beautiful reading and it made me think so much about how fat bodies are treated in and out of the queer community. My favorite story has to be The Haunted House, I just couldn't stop reading it and wish for more when it eneded it. There were some typesetting errors on some stories that difficulted the reading and sometimes it made impossible to read whole paragraphs but besides that (and the lack of trigger warnings) there's no much to complain.
I was given a copy of FAT AND QUEER through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. FAT AND QUEER is an anthology that touches upon different experiences of what it's like living as a fat queer person in today's society. With any anthology, this had some pieces I utterly adored (Ex. THE TRASH HEAP HAS SPOKEN- Carmen Maria Machado & A FAT LOT OF GOOD THAT DID- Jerome Stueart) and some that just didn't resonate with me, but were by no means bad! I can happily say that every piece in this book is special and important. I know how rare positive queer representation is, and can already see how influential and important this book will be for fat queer readers.
With that said, I had a few issues with this collection. The first was that a known transphobe (RuPaul) was praised right at the beginning, and considering this is supposed to help uplift queer voices, it felt like a slap in the face as a trans reader. The second fault was the deadnaming of Elliot Page, which I hope will be corrected before the book is released. Lastly, I would've liked a list of trigger warnings at the start of the collection, or at the start of each piece. There was certain points where topics such as sexual assault and self harm were brought up abruptly and it was rather triggering. Other than those few critics, I genuinely enjoyed my time with this! I would highly recommend this collection, considering positive fat rep is always so difficult to find in media.
TWs/CWs: Fatphobia, homophobia, self harm, mentions of/attempted suicide, drug use/addiction, alcohol use/addiction, eating disorders/ED behaviors, sexual assault, emotional and financial abuse
A stunning collection of prose and poetry exploring the intersection of queer and fat identities. I loved the depth of the essays, they were wide reaching and encompassed people of colour and the whole spectrum of the LGBTQ+ community. I learned so much through reading this and really appreciated the unapologetic nature of the essays and the celebration of queerness and fatness. The collection was honest and authentic and some of the essays were pure gold! Loved it!
This excellent anthology is a mix of poetry, prose, fiction, and non-fiction by a wonderfully diverse group of voices sharing and exploring their experiences with the intersectionality of queerness and fatness or trans and fatness.

Like any anthology, some pieces connected with me on a deeper level than others, though, each piece made me think, and many pieces gave me an entirely new perspective on an area in which I'd honestly put very little though before.

"Last month I was in a public space, meaning, I was in a space that left my body vulnerable to the interpretations of those around me and their responses."

"In both of these childhood experiences, I chose to wear something that I felt really good in [...]. And both times, my choices resulted in shame."

I felt the full gamut of emotions reading these powerful and undeniably authentic experiences, and am so glad I picked this up. I did, however, read it in doses, as quite often the feelings of anger and sadness were enough that I would put it down to reflect and digest before moving on to another piece.

This is definitely an anthology for anyone looking to understand this intersection better, anyone looking to learn about it for the time, or for anyone queer/trans/fat who may be looking to find even small pieces of themselves described by the incredible community in these stories.

*I received this ARC from NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers in exchange for an honest review.
I don't think this was the book for me. I think that for a lot of people, this will be perfect. I am myself plus sized (I am one of those who really really don't like the word fat and hate that the current activism seems to embrace it) and thus thought I'd give it a try. I could relate to some of the stories in here but ultimately, I had the same issues that I have with the current activism, which is seeing obesity as something to celebrate. I am all for thin people shutting up and letting us be, but I am also all for us plus sized people supporting each other to get to a healthy weight. Not for aesthetic reasons. But for health reasons. I guess I went into this book with the wrong mindset. That being said, I think I am in the minority. So it really is me in this case and not the book itself.
Interesting book.  I enjoyed "browsing" around this book.  It was nice to see other people like me in a book.
Fat and Queer was an educational and necessary anthology of amazing fat and queer, and fat and trans voices. Every contribution was incredibly meaningful and delved into important parts of queerness and fatness that may not be known by people not in those communities.

The essays and poems were well spaced throughout the book and multiple perspectives on the same topic (e.g. the gaining community) were all very insightful. As a fat woman, I can relate to some of the stories told and the feelings, and reading their stories and journies of self-love and acceptance was beautiful.

I applaud each and every writer in this novel for their bravery in sharing their stories in hope of empowering others who felt as they have and some who still continue on that journey to accepting themselves as they are.

I would highly recommend this book to fat, fat and queer, and fat and trans people, and anyone else with an open mind for understanding and learning about a fearless group of people.
If you are looking for any of these five things in your next read, consider giving this book a try:
- Own Voices
-  Body positivity
- Intersectional
- Challenging society and society-bred thoughts
- A wide range of personal perspectives and experiences

Overall, I was glad that I was given the chance to review this book on NetGalley. I'm always looking for new queer voices to read from and this anthology did a great job of opening my eyes to a whole other subset of the queer community that needs some love and support. There's nothing more empowering than listening to people discover their own power, even as they continue to sit with questions and confusions. All the contributing authors were brave and honest, a testament to their skills. I would definitely read more put together by these editors!
“I felt guilty for existing in a world that didn’t want me”

Fat and Queer is anthology containing a collection of story stories and poetry about what it’s like to be both fat and queer in society.

While I definitely enjoyed and related to some stories more than others, overall I loved this entire collection. There are some truly beautiful stories, and I found myself highlighting entire sections to return to.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing a copy in exchange for my honest review.
Like all anthologies you are going to have some stories that you love and others not so much, this was the same with Fat and Queer. Overall, I really enjoyed reading pieces from perspectives/authors I possibly wouldn’t have seen otherwise. Fat and Queer includes some really beautiful poetry and interesting stories. I particularly enjoyed the stories by Hannah Propp and Leah Harris.
This anthology combined so many voices that are not normally given a place to be heard. It gave life to a wide variety of experiences and there were definitely insights I will carry with me, particularly 'About my Breasts, Since you Asked' by Sherre Vernon. I'm not typically one for poetry but I really enjoyed the writing in this piece which was sort of halfway between poetry and prose.

I would recommend for individuals who are fat, queer, both, or neither as there is value in these words for everyone.
Wow this anthology touched on so many struggles and personal experiences that I connected with on a personal level. I really wish I had a book like this when I was younger and I feel like many people will find a little piece of themselves in this. Its always hard for me to rate anthology's but this is a easy 5 from me. I'm super grateful for the voice that this gives to so many people and so thankful to the many courageous people that contributed to this and shared their stories.
This is a stunning anthology with an incredibly diverse mix of writers and voices! This collection challenged head on  societal misconceptions and misrepresentations of fat bodies and queer stories, and it felt liberating to read these OwnVoices stories. The anthology really succeeded in preventing the many struggles and the many joys tied into the intersection of fatness and queerness. These stories were lovely, personal, fierce, and raw. I hope to see many more anthologies like this one someday.
Thank you to Netgalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for an arc of this book.

This anthology combines a myriad of fat and queer voices to tell stories about the intersection of life when one is both fat and queer.  There are many voices represented in this book and they express their stories in different ways: essays, poetry, stories.

I really enjoyed the diversity of voices represented throughout this anthology. Not only people with different queer identities, but also different races, ethnicities, backgrounds, and reasons for being fat. This book made me think about a lot of things I have never really considered about myself and how my fat and queer body interacts with the world. I feel like I learned a great deal from reading this book.

The only thing that bothered me was that similar voices seemed to be grouped together so that it felt like I was reading very similar essays all right in a row. I think I would  have enjoyed it more if these similar topics were more spread out throughout the anthology.

Pub Date: May 21, 2021

Content Warnings
Graphic: Addiction, Body shaming, Bullying, Drug use, Eating disorder, Emotional abuse, Fatphobia, Homophobia, Panic attacks/disorders, Racism, Self harm, Sexual assault, Sexual content, Sexual violence, Suicidal thoughts, Toxic relationship, and Transphobia
Fat and Queer is a very difficult book for me to review. I LOVED parts of this book, while others were pretty metaphorical and went a little over my head. I really appreciated the longer stories where I was able to get a more well-rounded understanding of the author, but that is only due to personal preference. Getting a well-rounded understanding of the author was not the purpose of every piece.
I learned a LOT from this book. It did an incredible job representing many aspects of queerness and the intersection between weight, gender, sexual orientation, race, ability, and more. I also loved that it was one of the first things I've ever read that discussed the fact that many people like their fat bodies.
I read this book because the intersection of fatness and queerness is something I have been very interested in exploring. I have never really been a fan of short stories, essays, or prose, so if those are your jam, you will love this book and I highly recommend it.
TW// Fatphobia, Homophobia and Homophobic Slurs, Drug Use, Mentions of Rape

CW// Slightly Explicit Sex Scenes, Talk of Suicide, Self-Harm, Eating Disorders

Wow. This is the book I never knew I needed. Fat and Queer is an intimate collection of personal stories and poems, an ode to fat and queer people all over the world. So many different writings and ways to express oneself came together in this book, all united in feeling of being both a fat and queer person. This book one hundred percent succeeded in its aim to empower and inspire self-love in all who read it and share this particular experience.

There were so many different pieces of writing to love and different things to love about each piece, but I managed to narrow it down to my favourites, ones that made my heart seize with the amount of love I had for fat queer bodies, bodies that looked like mine:

-Faithful Food by Ruth Gibbs, a poem which depicts fat women as exquisite holy beings, women who ‘’walk with the goddesses.’’

-seven nights of noodles by Jay Audrey, who writes that their partner ‘’held my round woman hips and thanked me for my abundance’’ and pointed out that ‘’my stomach rolls like Aphrodite’s’’.

-Cherry Popsicle by Jay Audrey, a poem that expresses how sensual an experience it is to see a beautiful fat person eat a cherry popsicle, ‘’cherry juice drips on her skin,’’ ‘’she is all red and sticky and sweet.’’

-cantaloupe season by LJ Sitler, a poem that makes beautiful the love that a fat person has for food, and how that fat person is still absolutely worthy of love from their partner. ‘’My lover feeds me musty cantaloupe in bed after fucking,’’ ‘’I am warm, I am sated, I am full,’’ ‘’We are together.’’

-Legacy by Miguel M. Morales, an ode to all the fat and queer activists of the past who protested for our right to be worthy and respected like anyone else.

”Essentially, my fatness sometimes betrays me, and allows others to misgender me”
        -Alyssah Roth, ‘Incorrect Attribution: A Collision of Fatness and Gender’

Aside from loving this book because it speaks love and praise to my fat queer soul, it also draws my attention to the particular intersection of being fat and queer. In The Gender Non-Conformity of my Fatness, Caleb Luna defines being in a public space as being ‘’in a space that left my body vulnerable to the interpretations of those around me and their responses.’’ Luna identifies with the title of man, however, because of their fat body, in the public eye he is seen as less ‘manly’ that those with the ‘masculine’ features of hard muscles and toned abs. They explain that this is because fatness is seen as inherently feminine, and so a fat, nonbinary or genderqueer person will essentially be seen as female or at least more feminine in a public space. Reading about Luna’s experience made me think about my own. Being a genderqueer person, people are naturally going to find it hard to refer to me as genderqueer and use my correct pronouns. But because I’m also fat, it’s going to be even more difficult, as my fat body somehow represents femininity. In the eyes of the public, thinness equals androgyny, and androgyny equals nonbinary. Because we don’t have thin bodies and are not androgynous presenting, people like Caleb Luna and I will not be held to the same standard of nonbinary or genderqueer as other thin nonbinary people. I never thought much about this issue until it was brought up in this anthology. Drawing attention to it also gives non-fat queer people the chance to realise they are privileged just for being thin.

”I want people to know that the size of my body isn’t an accident. I am in control of this. Being fat is what I want.”
        -Bruce Owens Grimm, ‘Dropping Fictions and Gaining Visibility’

While the pleasure of reading is a gift in itself, nothing brings me more joy than reading a book that gives me knowledge, in this case, a new way to see fat queer bodies. The concept of ‘gaining’ is one I was not familiar with until I read this anthology. Reading how Bruce Owens Grimm loved his fat body so much he was happy to gain as much weight as he wanted was such an enlightening perspective to see. I feel like gaining is a system of further liberation for the gainers in terms of their fat bodies, taking self-love to another level. It was such an illuminating experience to be able to read about.

This book was written very well, I had two minor problems, however: a few typos made some sentences hard to understand (but they could be fixed with just a little more editing), and the lack of trigger and content warnings. There were a lot of dark topics mentioned in some pieces, and there were no warnings given at all. I would suggest that the appropriate warnings be given at the start of each new piece.

Overall, this anthology is most definitely worth a read. I would like to say, to any fat queer people who feel like they aren’t worthy of being loved and respected, I gift you this book, in the hope that as you turn the last page, you yourself will open on a new chapter in your life, one where you’re full of love for yourself, your queerness, and your beautiful fat body.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
I received an eARC from NetGalley for the purposes of this review.

I really enjoyed this book! I loved the topic and loved the celebration of being fat and queer. There was a wide range of stories in this collection, with a wide range of voices.   Definitely a breath of fresh air.
FAT AND QUEER is such a necessary book! Like the editors mentioned, calling yourself "fat" can be harder than coming out. The range of essays and poetry is excellent. The ranger of genders and their intersections with body size are particularly informative (and needed). The issues each author grapple with are complex and deeply rooted, both in individuals as well as our culture. I'm recommending this to all of my students and will *absolutely* be using it in my creative non-fiction classes.