Cover Image: Land Rites

Land Rites

This is the second book in this series however I can not see why it could not be read as a stand alone. I enjoy the characters especially Hannah, I feel like we are on a journey with her and her growth within the team. The plot was the right pace for a police procedural. My only gripe was I think the story line about DI Fords wife now needs to be dropped or something big happen with it, his guilt is being mentioned all the time and his brood manor over it could be off putting if there are many more of the books bringing it up. I would like to see him move forward.
overall this is a good story that kept me engaged
DI Ford is alerted that a dog walker (or rather their dog!) has found human remains down a badger sett. Although the body has been dismembered, when Ford crawls in & finds the head he recognises the victim- the younger brother of a local crime gang. His brother makes it clear to Ford that he needs to find the killer- or else. When another body turns up after a downpour Ford wonders if it is a coincidence that both of these men were found on the estate of a local big wig. The aristocratic family are at first helpful, but Ford is suspicious. There seem to be too many guns & too many crack shots about. With the help of the somewhat quirky 'Wix' Ford struggles to solve the case before the Boulter  Brother's time runs out.

I really enjoyed the first in this series & was looking forward to the next one. I found it as enjoyable with good characters & plot twists. I'm now looking forward to the next one. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Having not encountered the author previously, this is the surprising second book of the Detective Ford series by Andy Maslen. A woman walking her dog comes across human remains, and soon another victim is discovered nearby. Inspector Ford sees a connection between the bodies, but is there any connection to the Alverchalke Estate? Harbouring secrets of his own, Ford and the various characters makes for a captivating tale and engrossing crime series. A great English police procedural with a four-star worthy, must-read rating. With thanks to NetGalley, the author and Amazon Publishing UK for a preview copy, novel in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second in the Detective Ford series by Andy Maslen, with Shallow Ground being the first.

The police are called by a dog walker after her border terrier unearths a human hand. Ford is called in to investigate and forensics soon discover more body parts. The body is that of Tommy Boulter, a member of a local family who are well known for their criminal activities. When Ford visits them to break the news, he is met with anger and is issued with the ultimatum – to find the killer within one week or they will take matters into their own hands.

The land where the gruesome discovery was made is owned by local gentry - Lord Baverstock and when the cause of Tommy’s death is discovered as being from a gun shot, the numerous guns owned by Lord Baverstock opens up further investigations. Whilst the initial investigation is underway, a second body is discovered less than a mile away, Ford begins to work on the assumption that the two cases are linked.

As with the first book, I really enjoyed this one. The pace of the writing was just right,  and kept me engaged throughout. Overall, a great read and I look forward to the next instalment in the series.

Many thanks to Amazon Publishing UK and NetGalley UK for the free review copy in exchange for an honest review.
Andy Madsen can surely write thriller that will keep you on the edge till the last page.
This one is excellent and I loved the storytelling, the character development and the gripping plot.
It's strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Another excellent story by Andy Maslen. Land Rites keeps the series in a high level, and the reader looking forward to the next book. The story has a lot of mystery to be uncovered, fears to be overcome, familial ties that become stronger as well as relationships that are slowly becoming really solid. Ford still has to overcome his feelings regarding the loss of this wife and that is being step by step constructed within the plot of each book. This is one of the most entertaining books I read so far this year!
Another great read from Andy Haslen. I enjoyed his first book and this second one did not disappoint. This one ends with a little teaser so I hope number 3 will follow soon
While out walking, Polly Evans' dog discovers the remains of a body in a badger sett, on private lands. D.I. Henry Ford is called out to investigate. Is the body that of Tommy Boltor, from a local criminal family. He is soon identified as such.
Meanwhile Ruth Long reports her husband ex-vicar Owen , 70, missing after five days to D.C. Wallace.
Ford and his team must unravel the mysteries.
An enjoyable and well-written crime story with its cast of varied characters. A book that can easily be read as a standalone story.
An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
DI Ford and Dr Hannah Fellowes are investigating two brutal murders. There are several connections between the two deaths. They have the same tattoos and they were both found on land belonging to the very prominent Lord Baverstock.

The brothers of the first man found is threatening Ford .. demanding that he find whoever killed his brother ...and is giving Ford exactly one week. If Ford doesn't, then the brothers will take over the case. The victim was a petty poacher, the youngest brother of a local crime family.

Certain that there’s more to this case than trespassing, Ford and Dr Hannah Fellowes race to find the hidden link. But when one victim’s family threatens to expose Ford’s own dark secret, the ticking clock becomes a time bomb.

Still consumed by guilt over his part in his wife’s tragic accident and struggling to raise the teenage son he lied to, Ford now finds himself losing control of the investigation. Can he work with Hannah to solve the case while privately fighting off the attempted blackmail? Or have his demons finally caught up with him?

It's a well written follow up to SHALLOW GRAVE. The plot is tightly woven around outstanding characters amid a background of suspense and tension filled with compelling twists and turns. The suspects are many and varied. Characters are deftly drawn. I like how Ford's private life is blended with the professional.

Many thanks to the author / Amazon Publishing / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
This review was originally posted on <a href="https://booksofmyheart.net/2021/04/03/%f0%9f%8e%a7-land-rites-by-andy-maslon/" target="_blank"> Books of My Heart</a>
&nbsp;

<i>Review copy was received from NetGalley, Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.</i>

I started this  <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/302465-detective-ford" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"><em><strong>Detective Ford</strong></em></a> series, because Steve West was narrating, but a British police mystery is a favorite genre as well. The main character is a single dad, who lost his wife in a tragic accident.  He has felt considerable grief and guilt.  Now six years later, Ford has a teenage son and a promotion.  In my head, Steve West is the main character although I am pretty sure the character is older than him.

I love the layers in the writing.  The world building has the police force with its detectives, forensic teams and gun squads.  There is both political and personal developments.  Ford has a female partner who he respects. The new forensic team member has Asperger's.  His direct boss is also a woman and he knows how to present information for her.  He works well and appreciates all these women.  Interestingly the men on the team are more problematic with one going through a divorce and one wanting to do more than his experience warrants.

The case of two murders has a number of problems.  Firstly,  it runs up against the aristocratic class being witnesses or suspects which is politically tricky. Then one of the victims is the younger brother of some local toughs who want to take matters into their own hands. Plus it seems like there is someone in the department leaking information to the suspects / witnesses.

Ford is also still dealing with his guilt over his wife's death. Now his son Sam wants to go climbing for a school trip and since that is a factor in his wife's death, he is uncomfortable.  But he does a great job of looking at the evidence and trying out all the theories without regards to politics or class issues.  It's a complex and exciting case.  I really loved <strong>Land Rites</strong> and can't wait for more.
&nbsp;
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

Having read the first book in the DI Ford series I was pleased to be approved to read the next book.
I really, really enjoyed this book, I thought it was very engaging, it had a very good plot line and was so well written.  It held my attention throughout and flowed really well.  I like DI Ford as a character, and enjoy the small glimpses of his home life with his son.    Ford is called in to investigate a murder when a dismembered body is found in a badger set, and comes under additional pressure to find the murderer from the victims family who are well known to the Police.   When a second body is found, Ford believes the two murders are connected and searches for links between them.  There were plenty of twists and I thought I knew who the murderer was and was wrong.  Overall I found this to be a great and very entertaining read that raced to a final conclusion with all loose ends tied up nicely.    I think this is a fab series so far and look forward to the next book.  4 stars
4.5 stars

This is the second book in the Detective Ford thriller series by Andy Maslen.

This book features Detective Inspector Ford, nicknamed Henry. He has a sixteen year old son named Sam and he is a single parent after the death of his wife in book one.

This was a compelling read. I was sucked into the action almost immediately. Just loving the angst that just seems to billow off of DI Ford. I am not sure what to think about Hannah “Wix”. One one point she is a good brain to have on your team but her psychological make-up might be a bit on the sketchy side. I kept thinking something untoward was going to happen with her as we neared the conclusion of the book. I think I was just overthinking the entire thing but I will keep my eye on her in future books. She could be one of those characters who start out being a good guy and then at the drop of a hat turn out to have a black heart.

I think the scariest part of this was when they started threatening Ford’s son just to get him to solve the murder faster. I was like… really?

Overall it was a great read and I look forward to other books by this author.

If you love a good detective fiction mystery, police-procedural, definitely check this one out.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
This book was provided to me by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second book in the Detective Ford Series.
Set in Wiltshire, Ford is called out when a dog, walking with his owner discovers part of a body.  The body had been cut into pieces and buried in a badger sett. Ford and his team question owners of the land when another body is found on an adjacent property.
The first victim's family is heavily into crime and threatens Ford. Ford is given a deadline to find the murderer or the family will take matters into their hands.
I actually liked this book better than the first one; however, there were some slow parts for me. Each victim was killed with a different weapon and there was a lot of the story that centered on guns, the types of guns, who has these guns, where to get the ammo etc. But, tracking and apprehending the killer or killers made it worth it.
Thank you NetGalley, Amazon Publishing and Andy Maslen
Land Rites by Andy Maslen is a mystery with DI Ford as the central character. This is the 2nd book of DI Ford series.

I haven't read the 1st book,  so there were some things I had to assume had happened. Leaving aside those things, the book featured a solid police procedural starting with a cruel murder and a much more confusing 2nd murder with seemingly little connection between the both.

The story follows DI Ford as he tries to find who murdered both people and why. During the course of investigation, along with a hostile victim's family, he has to deal with certain personal demons as well. We come across other interesting people as well.

The book had a really slow start for my taste. And because the story was told in a purely police- procedural point of view, it plodded along in a leisurely way at many places, not unlike real- life investigations I am sure. Unfortunately, for this reason, the book failed to capture my interest and attention till the first half.

The story picked up its pace in the 2nd half and managed to interest me as well. But I was not completely engrossed with the story which is an indication that it could have been told better.

Still, I actually enjoyed the mystery and liked how it unfolds. I am giving 4 stars for this reason. Thanks to Netgalley and the author for this ARC. Hoping to read the next Ford book to find out what happens next with him.
This is the second in the Detective Ford series; I read the first and looked forward to this one.  I was not disappointed.  Ford is still struggling with the guilt over his wife’s death while rock climbing as he raises his son, Sam.  Firmly entrenched in his role as a DI, he is dealing with two murders in the Salisbury countryside that just may be related.

This is a solid police procedural with interesting characters, particularly Hannah Fellowes, a highly trained and skilled CSI investigator with Asperger’s.  No plodding plot this….the story moves along at a good pace as the clues build up. While the case is solved by the end of the book, there is somewhat of a cliffhanger, foretelling a third in the series. Looking forward to it.
murder, murder-investigation, family-dynamics, friendship, law-enforcement, gangsters, British-detective, thriller, suspense*****

Works well as a stand alone despite some tricky interpersonal issues both within the department and at home. The publisher's blurb is a nice hook, but the due diligence is impressive and the characters are only too realistic. That's especially true of DI Ford who seems to have a bad case of survivor's guilt and his Deputy Chief forensics officer, Dr. Hannah Fellowes (who is really minutiae oriented and hyperintelligent) and and his team. The blues are being threatened by the crime family of the dismembered victim as well as the usual problems. Great read!
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Amazon Publishing UK/Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley. Thank you!
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Amazon Publishing UK for the electronic copy.

This is the second book in the Detective Ford series and I really enjoyed the first one.

Set in and around Salisbury, Wiltshire, Polly Evans' dog retrieves a human hand from a large badger sett.  DI Ford and his team, along with Dr Hannah Fellowes and the CSI are sent to investigate.  Thanks to a local farmer and his digger the rest of the expertly dismembered body is recovered.  Ford notices a distinctive tattoo on an arm and immediately recognises it - this is the remains of Tommy Boulter, one of three brothers with JJ and Rye who are wannabe crime lords and with whom Ford has had unhappy dealings in the past.  Breaking the news to his brothers Ford is threatened by them - they give him one week to find the killer or they would take matters into their own hands.
Most of the surrounding countryside is owned by Lord Baverstock, mostly tenant farmers but one or two own their own farms.  The Baverstocks - Phillip, Coco, daughter Lucy and son Stephen live at Alverchalke Manor.  Phillip is ex-army as is his gamekeeper Joe Hibbard.  When Tommy's autopsy reveals that he was shot in the head prior to being dismembered everyone with access to guns comes under suspicion.  There are numerous guns and numerous suspects.
A farmer's sluice gate becomes blocked after heavy rain; when he dredges up the blockage he discovers a man's body - he too has been shot.
What's the connection between the two killings and the Baverstock family?

As the Boulters continue to pressure Ford he begins to realise that someone is feeding them information - could it be the Police and Crime Commissioner himself - or might it be his DS, Mick Tanner, who's in the throes of a potentially costly divorce?  And when the brothers directly involve Ford's son Sam he certainly takes decisive action.

There's plenty of good dialogue in this police procedural, tension between DC Olly Cable and DS Tanner, and fun as Hannah tries to rectify some of her Asperger's traits in her language and relationships.

However, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first.  There seemed just too much narrative where Ford is working through his thoughts on the case and the whole investigation seemed to be drawn out.  It's only at the end things move along at any pace.  So, all in all, I was a little disappointed in this one.

Nevertheless - I will still read the next instalment to keep up with the team's back stories.
Although a slightly different genre to the Wolfe and Cole thrillers, Andy Maslen shows why he is a master of the written word.

His latest central character, Henry Ford, is an intelligent policeman, with a shadow in his past which he struggles to move on from.  It impacts his relationship with his son, but this improves through the book.  Similarly, his relationships with fellow officers and colleagues are well written, without interfering with the main storyline.

My main issue with books from Andy Maslen is that I can't put them down and read them within a couple of long sessions, ending up tired and regretting the binge session, as it means no more stories for a little while.

If you've not read Andy Maslen before, or if you have, but did not like the genre of Wolfe or Cole, you must engage with the Ford books.  You will not regret anything but the lack of sleep!
I would like to thank Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance copy of Land Rites, the second novel to feature DI “Henry” Ford of the Salisbury Police.

When body parts are found in a badger sett DI Ford is tasked with the investigation. He recognises the victim’s tattoos immediately as belonging to Tommy Bolter, a member of the biggest local crime family. When a second body is found submerged in a local pool all roads seem to lead to a local aristocrat and his family, but in what way? With Tommy’s brothers threatening to take the law into their hands the pressure is on.

I enjoyed Land Rites which is a relatively straightforward police procedural which painstakingly builds a case for murder. It is told mostly from Ford’s point of view with his friend, forensics expert Dr Hannah Fellowes, chiming in from time to time.

The plot has several small twists, but I had a good idea of where it was going from early on. There is something to be said for this approach as it allows the reader to concentrate on the detail and build the case themselves. I liked it as good mental exercise. The author builds the pressure on Ford by way of threats from the Bolter brothers. I can see some of them as likely, but others just seem improbable and more of a plot device than anything else.

Many years ago Ford’s wife died in a climbing accident and he feels guilty that she died while he went looking for help. This is a thread that has run through the series so far and there are more developments in this novel. Not to worry, super smart Dr Hannah Fellowes is on the case to persuade him to move on. I find this plot line tedious and feel that it drags down the mood of the novel.

Land Rites is a solid read.
Second time of reading a novel featuring D I ‘Henry ‘ Ford and his team all their own very apt nicknames. A storyline that grabs you from the beginning involving landed gentry and protection of their land and family name, and unfortunately involves a local crime family one of the victims being their younger brother. DI Ford untangle the many attempts to cover up the crimes and brings the culprit to justice. A great read.