Cover Image: The Repeater Book of the Occult

The Repeater Book of the Occult

4 stars--I really liked it. This book contains a selection of classic horror stories, including quite a few by women writers and some that were new to me. Each story is introduced by a current author, explaining their affection for the story and/or its place in history. The book also contains some all-time favorites:

Squire Toby's Will: Sheridan Le Fanu
Punch, Brothers, Punch: Mark Twain
Unseen--Unfeared: Francis Stevens
The Black Cat: Edgar Allan Poe
The Willows: Algernon Blackwood

I was especially glad to read "The Willows," a story I've heard a lot about but never got around to reading. (It was, indeed, quite spooky--a classic for a reason.) If you're interested in classic horror, or would like an introduction to the genre, this is a great place to start.

I received this review copy from the publisher on NetGalley. Thanks for the opportunity to read and review; I appreciate it!
The Repeater book of the Occult was a collection of horror stories which I loved. As a horror fan I would definitely recommend this book to people who like that genre. I did take some breaks in between reading the different stories though as I found that worked better for me. Great book!
Thank you to Repeater Books and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this amazing book.
This anthology from Tariq Goddard and Eugene Thacker puts together a number of short horror classics from names such as Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Twain.

Each story features detailed introductions by Repeater authors such as Leila Taylor, Carl Neville, Rhian E Jones, and Elvia Wilk who all provide a fascinating insight into the stories behind the stories.

While not every short story works there are some stunning pieces of work, such as Algernon Blackwood’s unnerving classic The Willows.

W.W Jacobs’ The Monkey’s Paw is another classic that this reviewer had the pleasure of reading for the first time.

The Black Cat by Edgar Allen Poe does not quite hold up as a story, with its detailing of animal cruelty quite uncomfortable to read about.
The Repeater Book of the Occult is a nice collection of ten tales, some well known others lesser known, but all classic examples of the early periods of such dark tales.

A collection of any kind will be hit or miss with many readers depending more on what the reader brings rather than the book itself. The book has ten very well written stories from excellent, and known, writers, so to give this anything less than a good rating is hubris in the extreme. But people do love to pose by being as negative as possible, so forgive them their little insecurities.

The introductions also vary since each is written by a different person and some may be less interesting to you. I didn't find any to be pointless though I also would have liked a little more depth since one part of the book blurb says they are "critical introductions." These are, by and large, less critical and more contextual introductions, background on the writer and/or story. Nothing that really subtracts from the wonderful collection, just doesn't add very much either.

Like many readers, I was familiar with most of the stories. If you only want collections to include stories that are new to you, well, good luck. Most readers will have read at least a few of these. I like collections like this because they group stories together that I might not group together. While this is not held together by a tight theme, they caused me to reread some stories that I likely would not have even though I have them in other books. I don't pull down any Poe or Twain collection very often and when I do I unfortunately gravitate toward the ones I either know or love best. So having a different one pulled out gives me the opportunity to read beyond what I would normally do. Some people, apparently, only like to have one copy of a story and even then, only in the right, to them, collection. I like different contexts for not only the fiction but for the physical location of the story.

I would recommend this to readers who are looking for a nice collection of stories, some new to them, some not. Readers who only want collections of stories they have never heard of may not want this since there will likely be a couple they know. Also, while the introductions do add some context, they are not critical in the sense of analysis and interpretation, so those readers might want to search for critical essays on the works if they want such things. If you simply like to reread good stories, however, this is an excellent book.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
I was honestly disappointed in this one. Going by the title and description I was expecting something a little more dark and twisted. It was a nice collection of classic horror stories however. I found it to be a bit boring for my tastes and found myself skipping through the introductions before each of the story as they were beyond boring. On the plus side I did enjoy the few illustrations that were in the book.
I was given an arc of this from the publisher through Netgalley, so I feel a little bad for this review, but gotta keep it honest. Not gonna lie, this was really not for me. Several of the stories were so boring I just straight up skipped through them. I also skipped/skimmed most of the introductions because they didn't add anything meaningful or interesting to the reading experience. I already knew and loved The Yellow Wallpaper, and I definitely don't think you can call it a "lost story" or anything like that. It's pretty popular. Apart from that I liked the story by Poe and the one about the monkey paw. I think this collection is for the horror reader that has already read everything, and is craving literally anything horror related to add to the collection.
3,5 stars
I liked the stories and discovered some new to me authors. Unfortunately I found the introductions a bit too verbose and a bit boring.
I think it can be recommended to people  who want an introduction to horror stories.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This was a great collection of older horror stories brought back to life. A lot of excellent classics. I would definitely buy the hardback copy of this for my book collection when it's published. Great authors. Good stories.
The Repeater Book of the Occult is definitely for those horror buffs who are looking to re-read some of their favorites. While you could probably look up any of these stories, it is nice to have them all in a single collection. The stories themselves are classics and very re-readable, I think where my issue lies is with the introductions.

Except for an exempt few, I was hoping the introductions to the stories would be a little bit more conversational. I already know these stories are dark, masterful, and spine-tingling - I wanted to know more about the symbolism or things I might've missed.

Definitely a read to take in at a slower pace, I did have some fun revisiting a story once per night.
I was looking forward to discovering some forgotten gem short stories, however this was completely ruined by the introductions to the stories. The language was almost academic in its tone and it was off putting. For little known stories, it would have been better to put the critique/discussions after the story.
The Repeater Book of the Occult is a collection of older short horror stories that each have an introduction (or in some cases an academic-like essay) to accompany each tale. My first thought was that I wished the introductions would have been done after the story, maybe even a section by themselves in the back of the book. I had never actually read the first story in the collection and was unaware that the introduction would actually contain spoilers to the story itself. That was immediately a disappointment. Overall, the best stories were stories that I had read many years ago. My first horror story was Edgar Allan Poe’s The Black Cat and that did start my love of horror, so it was a pleasure to read that take again. My favorite story was The Willows because I had never read it and it was unsettling.

The short stories include:
Punch, Brothers, Punch by Mark Twain
Unseen- Unfeared by Francis Stevens
The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood
Didn’t enjoy much of this book. Some of the introductions were way too lengthy and only 2-3 of the stories were enjoyable. A rather laborious read.
Anthologies where authors select the stories are usually more varied than those where one editor chooses all the stories, and such is the case in "The Repeater Book of the Occult," with stories chosen by the authors of the Repeater Books publishing house.

There are a number of well-known stories, such Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper," Jacobs' "The Monkey's Paw," and two LeFanu stories. Mark Twain and Virginia Woolf were a pleasant surprise, and I had not previously heard of Francis Stevens.

Dotard's "Par Avion" was a miss for me. It didn't feel like it belonged with the others, even as loose as the theme of the anthology was.

The authors provide introductions to each story, some of which were longer than a couple of the stories, and more likely essays. While there was a lot of good information in some of them, they detracted from the stories themselves.

I would encourage the authors to choose lesser-known works that haven't had the readership of some of the selections in this book, but the choices were good, and this is recommended.

I received an advance copy from NetGalley and Repeater Books in exchange for my honest review.
I’m not sure how to classify this. It’s not exactly a DNF, because I’ve read all of the stories (years ago) - but I simply couldn’t get through the excessively verbose, academic-style introductions.

This book demonstrated a love of horror in its choices, while also trying to raise up what is often regarded as a ‘lesser’ genre. Horror contains the oldest tales - it doesn’t need legitimising or apologists. Can the stories not demonstrate that for themselves?

Ultimately, each tale is available free online. I didn’t feel the additional discourse added much, sadly.