Cover Image: The Second Woman

The Second Woman

The Second Woman is the third novel by Charlotte Philby and I would highly recommend reading all 3 and in order. As I said in a review of the author's previous novel I feel that her writing has  moved  women to the centre stage in a genre from which they were previously largely absent. Philby writes beautifully and here the novel moves between the present day and the 1980s and 90s. The apparent suicide of Anna in the present day seems to mirror that of Artemis in the 1990s and it's up to National Crime Agency Officer Madeleine Farrow to uncover the secrets and betrayals behind these deaths. As ever I love Philby's characterisation and storytelling ability. Recommended.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this digital ARC.
Unsettling at times but a great read!
Two women are found dead. Both had a secret. Both had a choice.

Two decades later, the apparent suicide of an heiress uncannily mirrors Artemis’ mysterious death. And when the ensuing investigation uncovers links to a criminal cartel, National Crime Agency officer Madeleine Farrow begins to pull apart the web of deceit surrounding the two women.
With hindsight, I think I would have been better off reading the first books in this series (Part of the Family and A Double Life) before this one, The Second Woman. I might then have been more clued up with the characters in this tricky tale. The story moves between the ’80s and the present day, following the characters of Artemis and Clive Witherall in Greece who move to London in the '90s. British born Clive is a successful entrepreneur but there are problems with the business and then a series of events result in Artemis hanging from the stairs in their home. In the present day, Anna is found hanging in her home in similar circumstances to Artemis. There is an inquest into Anna's death which leads to National Crime Agency officer Madeleine Farrow delving into a spiders web of deceit.

This story about family, betrayal and love is complex and sometimes bewildering but it's really well written and worth reading. It explores two women's choices how those decisions lead to their decease. There are some terrific twists and manipulation is not in short supply. A delightful, haunting tale.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from HarperCollins UK via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Finally finally I understand A double life and The most difficult thing, so if you were thoroughly frustrated by the endings to those two never fear this one makes it all clear. After a lot of twists. An awful awful lot of twists and a pretty devastating last chapter. Why only three stars? There were just a couple of twists too far for me and I struggled to understand how some of the characters namely Artemis and David could be so bloody passive. A very clever trilogy that keeps you on your toes.
Great novel full with lots of suspense and a satisfying end. I have recommended it to everyone I know!
This has been a read filled with tension and suspense and I have been completely hooked. I have adored the way this has been written and fully engaged in this novel.
This was a very unusual book for me to read. It was not my typical genre. I definitely enjoyed it though. The characters were interesting and I was rushing through it to get to the end and discover the plot.
I have always enjoyed dual timeline novels, and this one was exactly up my alley! The storyline was fascinating, and both main characters were well drawn.
This book is an amazing thriller.  The characters are diabolical and the plot is insane.  I literally was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens.  I highly recommend this book.
#TheSecondWoman #NetGalley
A must read.
Artemis leaves the remote Greek island she grew up on to start a shiny new life in 1990s London with her British husband, a successful entrepreneur. Finally, she has escaped the ghosts of her past. Until she is found hanging from the stairs of her beautiful family home.Two decades later, the apparent suicide of an heiress uncannily mirrors Artemis’ mysterious death. And when the ensuing investigation uncovers links to a criminal cartel
I loved its characters. Fascinating book.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK Harper Fiction for giving me an advanced copy.