Cover Image: Meet Me in Another Life

Meet Me in Another Life

This is, without doubt, going in my top 5 books of the year. Original and engaging, the novel cleverly weaves elements of romance, thriller and sci-fi together to create sheer brilliance. The structure is really clever and helps to build tension as the denouement approaches and the reader reaches the heart-breaking conclusion of the story. Highly recommended.
“Meet Me in Another Life” has a most interesting premise. The plot revolves around two characters, Thora and Santi, who are inexplicably linked across lifetimes. Whatever their lives, no matter their ages, their careers, their relationships, they always end up in each other’s lives. At one point they’re married, another they’re parent and child, another time work colleagues and so on… but no matter what they both end up together in Köln.

But eventually they begin to remember snippets of past lives and their past relationships, and so together they work to discover what is the meaning of their connection and why it is they are seemingly endlessly reincarnated.

So quite the quirky and fascinating plot!

But sadly the reality of reading the book just didn’t live up to my expectations.

Because both Thora and Santi had to live so many lives before the book got to the real crux of the plot … well it all felt a little repetitive. We only got little snippets of these lives and thusly it felt like the characters acted only according to an outline of a personality. What I mean is there wasn’t enough time given to these individual lives in which to wholly develop their personalities and therefore it meant that the characters felt pigeonholed into these rigid stereotypes. Thora was strait-laced, no nonsense, and almost caustic compared to Santi’s more thoughtful mode of being but he came with a heavy dose of martyr complex. And for the whole of the novel neither character ever really broke free of these confines of personality. This meant there wasn’t that much needed character arc where they could grow and develop as people, or even an arc where they regressed! Instead, they just stayed frustratingly the same throughout when in my opinion the novel was begging for some light and shade to bring depth to their individual storylines.

And as for the actual plot and the reasons behind why they kept meeting throughout their lives… well it was as cringeworthy a reveal as when Bobby was in the shower in Dallas!

One of the things that also felt a little strange to me was how in some lives Thora and Santi were romantically involved and then in another life they were related (siblings, parent and child). I really feel that it didn’t add anything to the plot other than an ick factor.

It’s not that Meet Me in Another Life is a bad book, it’s just that I never really felt engaged by the characters and their struggle to discover the truth of their existences because the book felt incredibly passive. There was just so much exposition and not enough time devoted to creating characters that the reader could truly empathise with. The book just lacked an emotional core.

And the ending? It was disappointingly cheesy, entirely predictable, and just left me feeling somewhat hollow.

Sadly this one just wasn’t for me.

*An e-copy was kindly provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley for honest review*

My apologies for the lateness of my review. I am currently dealing with complications arising from my long term, chronic illness which left me unable to read and review in a prompt manner.
I found the first couple of chapters of this quite hard to get into... but I am glad I stuck with it!

Thora and Santi are destined to meet repeatedly through a multitude of lives - sometimes siblings, lovers, friends... the same age, decades apart.... but why?

This is a beautifully written book which is sad, funny and thoughtful.
Two people meet, over and over again. One is logical and cynical, the other is spiritual and open-minded, but both are scientifically inclined and both long to reach the stars.

As a reader, you follow Thera and Santi as they cycle through relationship after relationship with each other – fellow students, teacher/student, husband/wife, father/daughter, carer/patient – exploring their love of the stars and the meaning of life against a tapestry of recurring motifs (a scarf, a cat, a knife, a tattoo, a stopped clock, a lighthouse, words on a wall, different stars). Then, suddenly, as strangers (aged 15 and 45) they begin to remember and the whole plot shifts.

I thought from the cover and blurb that this was some kind of time-travel romance, but there is actually little romance and no time travel involved. Instead this is an exploration of how well we can know each other (and ourselves) and how we find meaning and purpose in our lives as we float through space, amongst the stars but rarely looking up.

Plot, characters and worldbuilding all came together beautifully to create a compelling story that I couldn’t put down. The ending was poignant and fitting, and left me feeling emotionally wrung out but philosophically stimulated (not a sentence I’ve said before!)

Review by Steph Warren of Bookshine and Readbows blog
This was a very interesting read! It somehow felt vast yet very localised, which was super intriguing and thought provoking. I felt the protagonists' fear and hope and annoyance, both of them going through this unique situation and the shared feeling of displacement. I enjoyed it a lot!
I find this sort of book confusing
. When the time travellers wife first came out it was an interesting new concept. I found this novel difficult to understand, confusing as to the real relationship between the two main characters Thora and Santi., felt I really never got to know either of them properly.
The ending was a suprise and quite frustrating.
This book played with my mind! How many lives could one person have - in fact, two people? It is like a series of short stories where the characters are similar but different each time though they have the same names! At first I was a little confused but by 'life 3' I was getting used to the changes and looked forward to the reincarnation of these two characters.

Think 'The Time Traveler's Wife' but with both characters time-hopping and being reincarnated as people with different life stories. I got very caught up in the reinventions and looked forward to their next 'adventure'. Each fresh start was completely different and I am in awe of Silvey's ability to plot so many discrete lives for what is essentially the same people!

The ending was a little harder to follow. The final chapters of the book become quite cerebral and quite abstract. I am not sure how I expected this novel to end, but the 'purpose' for the time travel had a twist that I had not predicted.
Beware, this is not the story you think you might be expecting!  Thora and Santi, Santi and Thora meet and die and meet again through various lifetimes and scenarios.  The chapters are pretty short but the conversations the pair have in their different guises seem long and repetitive especially in the middle of the book.  The concept is weird, bizarre and possibly the most unique novel of the year!  Have to say I wasn’t much keen on the whys and wherefores of the tale and found it a bit disappointing.  Recommended for anyone in the mood for something different or quirky for a change from the usual offerings.
Thank you for a review copy!
Meet Me in Another Life started as a romance and I found it interesting that each chapter was like a short story. The ending however surprised me; I wasn’t expecting it to finish as a sci-fi. The book had mixed genres, mystery, magic, and romance. The story focuses on the quantum theory of reincarnation which is one of my favourite topics to read about.
This was the most confusing book I have ever read. The first couple of reincarnations were relatively intriguing, by the fourth and fifth it had become very boring and predictable.. This was most definitely not to my taste.
The book appealed to me because it explored the same characters meeting up in different lives. The story could have been edited down, and I got a bit bored of it. I also felt the character backgrounds, names, and decades in the time frame didn’t really make it believable with the past lives. I would have liked this to have been a better story as it had a lot of potential.
Heartfelt and beautifully imagined, meet me in another life shines brightly.
Many Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins for an eARC of this book  in exchange for an honest review

Plot summary:
Thori and Santi meet, they are strangers in a new city and recognise the kindred spirit in the other. This is only one of the connections they share, and they meet again through multiple lives.
As blurred memories come to the forefront, they come to a shocking realisation- they need to discover why they have this attachment before their lives come to one final end

Review:
Plot and World Building – This was a fantastic plot, the interlinked lives and story flowed very well and kept me glued to the page in an emotionally written story. The ending in particular, without spoilers, was not where I thought it would end up but was definitely something that made this book memorable. Overall pacing of the story was well worked and kept the story moving.

Characters and Development-Both Santi and Thori have fantastic character qualities, and they both have opportunities to develop as the story progresses and honestly it’s so interesting to see them develop through different lives they live but still have a sameness about them.

Final Thoughts:
This is a beautifully bittersweet story that I’m hoping leads to fantastic things for this author.
A marvellous tale of lives lived many times over … or so it would seem

“You can’t ever know someone completely. You’d have to be everything to them, and that’s impossible.”

Thora Lišková and Santiago López encounter each other as university students in Cologne late at night outside a party, messing up their introductions so thoroughly that they stage a do-over, and eventually bond through a shared love of stargazing and by climbing the ruined clock tower together. Both long to travel to the stars and explore the universe; Santi who believes in fate and wants to see God, and Thora who has always wanted to be “elsewhere.” But Santi’s sudden tragic death puts paid to their relationship developing any further – until next we discover Santi López the science teacher living in Cologne and facing a new pupil in his class, the seven-year-old Thora Lišková, who tells him she wants to be an astronaut when she grows up …

Life after life after life after life … Thora and Santi continue to meet repeatedly as different incarnations of themselves, and in quite different relationships to each other and those around them. As each of their successive lives plays out, fragments of their past lives begin to jog their memories, and they start to seek each other out, trying to piece together what is happening to them. Is what they are experiencing a form of reincarnation? Why do they keep being thrown together in endlessly varying ways? Are they enduring a kind of punishment? Or are they supposed to learn from their experiences, to improve themselves in their next lives? Is it all part of a divine plan, as Santi believes? Or is it, as Thora thinks, an elaborate cosmic game? And who is the tall man with long hair and a bright blue coat who keeps reappearing throughout their different lives to tell them “You’re here”?

Superbly plotted and constructed, Meet Me in Another Life is a masterful, gripping read that will keep the reader hooked until its powerful and moving end. The story – or, rather, stories – of Thora and Santi explore the multitude of ways in which human beings can relate to each other, whilst maintaining the integrity and believability of its two protagonists. Dizzying, unexpected, and even shocking turnarounds from one life to the next serve to heighten the suspense as layers of reality are slowly unveiled. Tension builds as each new life and relationship reveal new traits and hitherto unimagined depths to both Thora and Santi, rendering both characters enormously sympathetic albeit vastly different, and making their unbreakable connection over numerous lifetimes ever more poignant.

Although bittersweet and heartrending, this tale somehow at the same time manages to be joyful and uplifting and to convey an unwavering faith in the ability of people to connect, understand, and love one another. Engrossing, exciting, and complex, the story has an extraordinary sense of purpose, as the author lays intriguing clues to the mystery throughout – and yet each of Thora and Santi’s lives is so compelling that the question at the centre of it all is temporarily forgotten, so riveted is the reader by the new lives and relationship the protagonists are navigating. One could argue that it is an amalgam of many genres – sci-fi, fantasy, speculative fiction, romance, adventure, thriller – but Meet Me in Another Life defies any form of categorisation and that is all to the good. A brilliant debut novel and most highly recommended.

Jo-Anne Blanco / Arwen Evenstar
Elite Group received a copy of the book to review
Complex and complicated.  A book that needs to be read with attention to detail as nothing is unimportant. No detail is just for padding, everything is full of meaning.  Even the genre of the story is up for debate, is it a romance? A thriller? A mystery? A sci-fi story? The answer is all of these and more.  I loved this book, it is easily up there in my top ten of the year and I’m happy to recommend it to everyone.
Book Review | Meet Me in Another Life by Catriona Silvey

⭐⭐✨(2.25/5)

[ad • review copy]
Received via NetGalley.

Thora and Santi first meet as university students, but when tragedy strikes they will never meet again...until they do meet again. And again. And again...in another life?

I decided to request this novel because the premise drew me in. It sounded so intriguing, and even though the novel was listed as fantasy/sci-fi, something I do not usually read, I felt like I would potentially like this one.

Meeting Santi and Thora in a host of different lives was really interesting and explores the idea of how our lives could be different and the affect these things could have on us. As an exploration of characters in this way, the novel gave me a lot to think about and I liked that. The relationship between Thora and Santi also grew on me throughout the novel, with the ending being extremely emotional.

Sadly, I found that I wasn't hooked by this novel. Of course, a big question in the novel is why and how do Thora and Santi keep meeting in new lives? But the thing is, I genuinely had no idea where this novel would go, to the extent that I wasn't gripped to find out.

It turns out, I never would have guessed the answer, but as the tension rose I did get more into the novel in a different way to being earlier interested by their different lives and characters.

With the characters leading many lives, lots of themes are explored which makes this interesting, but topics such as science and religion are particularly discussed.

Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me. I would like to emphasise that this is not because of anything bad to do with the book, but is simply because this book is not for me, and that is fine.

In the end, I am glad that I read it, I definitely did take things away from it, and did like aspects of it, but overall, I tried something out of my comfort zone and it did not entirely pay off this time.

I think this book would appeal to someone who enjoys character driven narratives, and who also likes sci-fi.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked this book as the stories of lives repeating themselves with the same two characters but in different situations and with different relationships to each other intrigued me.  I liked the various lives, some were very short while others were described in depth but they all had similar threads running through.  I did wonder where it was going at some points, but I should have had more faith.  An interesting concept which I’m sure will stay with me for a long time.
I agree with other reviewers in their comparisons with Stuart Turton or the Timetraveller's wife, this story had several similar elements and the same feel at times, with the main characters Santi and Thora meeting up through time in different relationships. I liked the premise and the clues scattered throughout, but the structure of the book didnt always work for me, and Im sure I missed out on some of the clues!
3,5* rounded to 4
This a book that cannot be classified: it's part romance, part fantasy, part sci-fi. I can say I liked it but didn't love it.
The plot kept me reading even if I didn't like Thora in her different incarnations as she was quite nasty at times.
The author can write and the descriptions of Cologne are realistic (lived near there).
The plot is full of surprises but I don't know it I like the end or not.
I'm on the fence, I assume this a Marmite book but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
What an emotional journey this was! Part love story, part mystery, part philosophical investigation on determinism and free will, with an ending that caught me completely by surprise. Joyful and devastating at the same time but mostly just completely brilliant!
This is a really difficult book to review. It is like nothing I have read before, and I read a lot. It’s a story of love, friendship, family, relationships and so much more. The ending came as a complete surprise. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone so I’ll say nothing more than this, read it, you won’t be disappointed.