Cover Image: Risk of Harm

Risk of Harm

A solid five star thriller. Fantastic read.. Page Turner. Plenty of suspense to keep me enthralled. First book I have read from this author but will not be my last. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to review it.
Brilliant book. I had read her other books but it doesn't matter if you haven't.
The plot wax very good and it kept me interested until the end. Few twists and turns.
Another winner from Ms Whitehouse. It was good to spend more time in the company of Robin and her colleagues, and to travel with her through the complexities of who murdered two young women and the seemingly equally complex emotions surrounding her family relationships!
Thank you to netgalley and fourth estate for an advance copy of this book
A woman is found stabbed to death in a derelict factory. But who is she?
DCI Robin Lyons is back in her home town of Birmingham, with her one time lover Samir her boss. They are under pressure to solve this quickly but when another woman is found in similar circumstances it looks like they have a serial killer on their hands. But is there a connection and what does it have to do with a missing person case from two decades ago?
Can Robin solve this along with the mounting pressures of her own family.
I really enjoyed this crime thriller from Lucie Whitehouse. The plot was convoluted but the author's skill., most particularly in her portrayal of the heroine detective Robin, kept my attention all the way through. I loved it . Thank you to NetGalley and to the publishers for a free ARC.
We meet Robin, a DCI who has just transferred to a police force in Birmingham, as two girls are found murdered just days apart. We then follow Robin as she tries to determine whether the cases are linked, who the victims are, and how she can catch whoever killed the girls.

There was so much backstory to this – Robin’s daughter having recently survived something traumatic, previous relationships with colleagues, some dark event in her recent career history, her tempestuous relationship with her horrible, racist brother, an adolescent friendship with her current romantic interest, a strained relationship with her mother, previous cases of missing women, the recent death of her best friend – that it felt like a second or third installment in a series of books rather than a standalone novel. These past events and associations are referred to so often that I kept feeling as though I had missed something, but think it was actually just the author trying to give her protagonist more depth. However, I found that they, and the numerous other subplots that the author adds in, distracted from the actual plot of murders to be solved.

The ending also wasn’t what I expected and was all a little “convenient” for my taste, although I’m sure others would enjoy the various twists. I did, however, like the author’s style of writing so would be interested to see what comes next.

My thanks to the author, NetGalley, and the publisher for the arc to review.
I so enjoyed this clever police thriller and it was easy to warm to the main character, Robin. She does her best and has lots of difficulties to contend with. I was so hoping everything would work out well for her. The novel is tightly plotted, well-written and full of interesting themes and memorable characters. I didn’t realise Risk of Harm was the second in a series and it stands well on its own but having read it and discovered this talented author, I’m now going to buy the first one.  Five stars!
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, plenty of twists and turns to keep one guessing until the end, highly recommend it x
DCI Robin Lyons has moved back to her home town of Birmingham, recruited by her boss DCS Samir Jafferi, an old flame, to Force Homicide.  Robin is a single mother to daughter Lennie and has had a lot of tragedy in her life with her best friend Corinna being murdered and her daughter was nearly murdered.  Plus her racist brother, who has hated her since she was born, is making life difficult for her.

It's a good police procedural - a young woman is found stabbed to death in a derelict factory and there is nothing to identify the body. Then another woman is found killed with a similar MO and it's looking like the cases could be linked.  Good plot but I found the way Robin discovers the identity of the first victim a bit of a leap.

Although Robin is a flawed character, putting her work ahead of spending time with her daughter Lennie, I didn't dislike the character and enjoyed the book and the ending.
I adored Lucie Whitehouse's first crime novel and this is equally as good, if not better. DCI Robin Lyons is back in the thick of various murder investigations blighting Birmingham whilst balancing her work relationships, tricky family and teenage daughter. I like the fact that she's struggling with the balance and that some of her decisions are the wrong ones, it makes it feel much more realistic. And the issues that the book throws up - immigrant workers facing hostility, changing economic make up - all help to build up an unputdownable story.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A little slow to start, but once the pace got started it was a great story. Recommended.
My type of novel and quite typical of it's genre.
I found myself liking Robyn and her team and the writing style was engaging throughout.
3 for neutral, unfortunately, this was a bit too slow for me and I was not able to finish. Will update if able to finish at a later date, as I am a moody reader, but did give it a couple tries.
Robin Lyons is back in her hometown of Birmingham and now a DCI with Force Homicide, working directly under Samir, the man who broke her heart almost twenty years ago. When a woman is found stabbed to death in a derelict factory and no one comes forward to identify the body, Robin and her team must not only hunt for the murderer, but also solve the mystery of who their victim might be.

This is a very typical crime, murder mystery come thriller book. I did not realise it was part of a series of crime books but that book was able to stand alone without the need of reading the previous ones. The plot is uncomplicated but with lots of interesting content reflecting modern-day society. There is a surprise ending which I could never have anticipated.

This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book.  It was a very good read and the character of Robin was a strong, well written and likeable character.  The plot is well written and also has the backstory of Robins family history, for the reader to enjoy.  A great story and I look forward to more from the writer.
I enjoyed this book it was well written, had a good pace/flow and well-developed characters. I would recommend. I read it so quickly I could not put it down.
Absolutely fantastic read. I have loved this and been completely unable and unwilling to put this one down.
This is a great read which I will be highly recommending.
A bit of a slow and complex start here, perhaps leaving the reader wondering if continuing with the book is going to be worthwhile - read on a little further and you will be hooked! DCI Robin Lyons is working in the murder squad in Birmingham and her work life is complicated enough, but her personal life is even more convoluted, and the story develops both strands with admirable imagination and depth. This really is a cracking read, with believable action and characters, and the author tackles some really pressing issues with compassion and insight - homelessness, racism, bigotry, religious extremism and outdated social attitudes all appear here but are so deftly interwoven in the story that there is never any hint of self righteousness. The denouement is built with real tension and judgement and although not a total surprise, is very deftly handled. A great read!
I feel bereft!  Am isolating at the moment and this book has been my salvation!  I couldn’t put it down and didn’t want it to end!  Originally from Birmingham, I recognised all the place names and  I was there, with Robin and Samir and their team, I wanted them to win, to solve the riddle of the two girls, their murder and their killers!  I felt Robin’s family anguish, her frustrations, every nuance!  Characterisation is superb here.  This was Line of Duty stuff - am just hoping some TV producer is savvy enough to make it into a TV series!  Riveting stuff!  A definite must read!
So so good drew me right in .Characters came alive kept me turning the pages.A mystery that kept me involved guessing highly recommend.#netgalley #4thestate