Cover Image: The Littlest Library

The Littlest Library

Jess has reached a crossroads in life after losing both her grandmother, Mimi, who raised her after her parents died and her job in a library. It is now the perfect time for a new start. She gets into her little Mini and heads to the west country. She finds herself in a little village called Middlemas and makes a very out of character decision and buys a cottage.
Packing up her grandmother's books, she moves to this charming country village. To her surprise, Jess finds herself the owner of an old red telephone box, too - and she soon turns it into the littlest library around!
It's not long before the books are borrowed and begin to work their magic - somehow, they seem to be bringing the villagers together once more...
Maybe it's finally time for Jess to follow her heart and find a place to call home?
There is love in books, handing them down to be read and treasured.

I enjoyed devouring this in a weekend reading, there is a warmth and comfort in the charactors and the countyside life. Makes me want to set up my own little library outside my house, such a inspising story of the different relationsips and starting anew.
I’ve struggled to think of a word to describe this book other than ‘beautiful’.

The main character, Jess, is such a wonderful human and without realising is quite spontaneous.

All of the characters in this book were well written and the story was great.

Read it!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC.
The Littlest Library follows Jess Metcalf who loses her nana, Mimi and her job as a librarian in Bourton-on-the-Marsh within months of each other. She decides to buy a cottage with a red telephone box outside in another village which she turns into a small library, using her gran's books. The reader lives in the pockets of Jess as she settles into her new home, Ivy Cottage in Middlemass in the West Country.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Littlest Library and found it very appealing. Protagonist Jess is a warm character and the story was wonderfully uplifting, keeping me turning the pages. Jess was supported by a good bunch and I especially liked her close friend, Hannah. The setting of Middlemass sounded glorious and I could easily picture the duck pond, the snowdrops, daffodils and everything Poppy Alexander whipped up with her great writing in my mind. The character development of Jess was gradual but realistic as she begins to enjoy being a huge part of her new community after setting up the little library. She makes new friends and is integral to the positive changes for some of the villagers. Very highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Orion Publishing via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This was the read I didnt know I needed.
Our main character is looking for a fresh start after the loss of her grandmother. After a whirlwind house sale and a rushed house purchase our main character finds herself thrust into a small tight knit village, living in a bat infested run down cottage. There were some beautiful emotional moments as well as some laugh out loud moments.
With a found family feel and gorgeous setting this was a great heartfelt romance.
I love reading Poppy's books and this was no exception. Jess is at a turning piont in her life in more ways than one. Taking an unfamiliar road leads her, not only to a different area but a completely different avenue than what she expected.

If you love books like Jess and relish a romance then this is a book to settle down with.
A very enjoyable read from a truly reliable author. Thanks Poppy!
A joyful, heart-warming read about books, family, and love.

This was a very sweet, uplifting story that focuses on the importance of books and the power they can have over relationships. I adored Jess' relationship with her Grandmother and the messages that Mimi leaves in her books are a brilliant addition to the story. I wasn't overly gripped by this story, however it was still very enjoyable. Overall, a great read.
My thanks to NetGalley and a Orion Publishing Group for a copy of “ The LittlestLibrary” for an honest review.

Due to my occupation any book with library or books in the title is an instant draw for me..
This was a lovely, warm and immersive read, full of delightful characters, placed in a beautiful setting.
I happily escaped into this , and found it the perfect book for a relaxing read in the garden.
I would definitely recommend this to others.
This was a charming and heartwarming read. It was really easy going  and a page turner. When Jess Metcalf loses her librarians job and her beloved Grandmother in one foul swoop she decides to relocate to a quaint country village  to start again . She buys a charming little cottage and ends up in possession of an old red telephone box on her property .
      She has been brought up to treasure books by her Grandmother , who was her guardian after the death of her parents.  She decides to donate the books from her Grandmothers house to be housed in the telephone box as a community library. This becomes the hub of the local community as the residents all come together in a united front to save the little library when it is put in jeopardy .
     This was such a lovely and uplifting read with beautiful scenery and a wide range of  fun and likeable characters.  There's romance and friendship and you feel drawn into the storyline.  I recommend this book to readers who enjoy Heidi Swain and Jaime Adnams .
Jess is devastated at the loss of Mimi her Grandmother and as she was her only family and losing her safe job at the local library makes her reevaluate her life.

She gets into her little Mini and heads to the west country. She finds herself in a little village called Middlemas and makes a very out of character decision and buys a cottage. Jess has always played safe with her life will this be a new beginning or a huge mistake.

When she moves to the village she finds that she has some unexpected tenants in the cottage and also an old telephone box that she is responsible for with the parish council. For many years she has had boxes of books that belonged to Mimi and she had said that one day that Jess would know what to do with them. So they decide to make a book swap/ library in the phone box. She starts to get to know the villagers and some like Diana gets on with straight away and others like Aidan are harder to warm to. She settles in but there is a problem she needs a job and librarian jobs are few and far between in Middlemas so she starts looking further afield but will this mean her leaving the lovely village.

Working in a library I was drawn to the book by Jess’s occupation and I do love a good village tale too so this was perfect. Charming, soothing and picturesque,the little village of Middlemass has it’s share of characters and drama too. It is funny and warm and I really enjoyed getting to know everyone and it really was a very welcome change to my usual crime books. It is a great story about finding a new place in the world when it feels like you have lost everything. Gentle and cosy like a big hug in a book. I loved it!

4 stars ****
The protagonist of the novel is Jess Metcalf, a young woman in her thirties. She is likable and realistic, a woman everyone can relate to. Jess has decided it is time to move on. After the death of her grandmother Mimi, who has raised her after the death of her parents, and after losing her job at the library, Jess really needs a fresh start and a car drive leads her to the village of Middlemass where she impulsively buys a house with a red telephone box outside. Jess quickly falls in the small community, making new friends, attending the local council meetings, and setting up the red telephone box as a library. The only thing spoiling a bit her new life is her arrogant and moody new neighbour Aidan. Will Jess and Aidan ever get along? And will she find a job that will allow her to remain in Middlemas?

The Littlest Library is an engaging, easy, and fun read. The characters are easy to like and well-drawn. I loved the beautiful and vivid descriptions of the scenery (that made it easy for me to imagine the village of Middlemass in my head) and of the food (that made my mouth water).

If you are looking for romance, friendship, and family, then The Littlest Library is the right read for you. You will also find a strong feeling of community and belonging and themes of grief and new beginnings.

Poppy Alexander is an author I always enjoy reading and The Littlest Library is definitely one of her must-read! Highly recommended!
After losing her grandmother, Jess finds herself completely upending her life and moving to a small village where the house she buys has an old phone box out the front and the village residents cannot wait to see what Jess has planned for it.
After some soul-searching, Jess decides to put her grandmother’s old books in the phone box and turn it into The Littlest Library. But not everyone in the village is pleased and her sudden relocation is not without its difficulties as she must get a job soon in order to pay her bills.
Oh, this was the most wonderful story! It was so warm-hearted and nurturing that I did not want it to end.
I adored the notion that there was a book for everyone in the Littlest Library and I loved how the whole village seemed to bond over their love of reading and books, no matter how young or old.
The Littlest Library is a book which I enjoyed that much, it dragged me up and out of my reading slump. I love a good romantic comedy with a dash of heart felt moments, and this book is no exception.

Poppy Alexander is a fantastic author, her words created a beautiful setting and left me wishing I could live in a tiny village, in the Ivy Cottege. The characters are all wonderful and unique, and I lived for every interaction. I even felt myself welling up during each Mimi moment.

I found The Littlest Library to be such a fun read, full of funny, thoughtful and poetic moments. I think the story line with Aiden was a fantastic extra, but isn't the main story line. It was mainly about a lost woman moving on from grief, and it was expressed brilliantly.

I'm looking forward to Poppy's future books, and will share my review on my Instagram page next week! Thank you for my copy, I enjoyed every second.
Being made an orphan at the age of four Jess is brought up by her wonderful grandmother -Mimi. They have a truly special bond. When Mimi dies and then Jess loses her job at the local library she is lost and unsure what to do next. Deciding to sell her family home and make a fresh start she escapes for a drive and takes a side road to avoid traffic, ending up in Middlemass. Hoping to get a cup of tea whilst waiting for the traffic to calm down, she instead ends up buying a run down cottage with an old fashioned red telephone box in the garden! She decides to use the boxes of books left to her by Mimi to transform the telephone box into a tiny library. This idea is a turning point for both her and the community. The books start to work their magic, bringing the community together and in turn helping to heal Jess herself.  A beautiful story which has been well written and is very enjoyable.
Jess is content with her life, being a librarian and loving her job, living with her beloved grandma who looked after Jess her whole life after her parents died in an accident. Until Mimi dies too and Jess is absolutely alone. Moreover, she’s being made redundant. What now? Stumbling across a village and spotting a house for sale there, Jess makes probably the most spontaneous decision in her life and buys the cottage, together with the red telephone box outside it. She feels that filling it with Mimi’s beloved books is the right way forward. Will Jess be able to set in the village, with its close – knit community and grumpy neighbour Aidan?

The book introduces us to a group of lovely and colourful characters and it’s impossible not to like them. There are their back stories, just the perfect amount of them, brilliantly intertwined with Jess’s story, bringing all the characters alive and making them real. Jess herself was a lovely character and I loved the changes in her. At the beginning I was a little scared, I must admit, not sure if I will be able to get to like her as she was a bit, how shall I say it, maudlin perhaps, and it was absolutely understandable, she didn’t know what to do with her life after she was made redundant and her beloved grandmother died, but I am not a fan of mentioning those same facts in almost every single sentence. She hated change and she always expected the worse things to happen to her. But then, Jess was developing, growing and changing and she turned out to be a lovely, kind and caring person with a great sense of humour and I liked her very much.

The writing style was brilliant, so easy to follow and you immediately feel drawn to the story and at ease with the characters. It was also rich in descriptions that are vivid and that bring the places and people to life. Middlemass was one of the most grogeous fictional villages, somewhere deep in the English countryside, with close – knit community, where everyone knew everything about the others – brilliant, no? The author has so truly well captured the feeling of belonging, even if there were some cracks between the villagers – but it only made it all even more real and so human.

It was a lovely read though I had a feeling that the many descriptions: of food, scenery, garden, and the mentions of Mimi in every second sentence, kept us away from the main plot and they slowed it down. I mean, they were vivid and beautiful, but I was like, come onnnnn, move on pretty please. For me it should have been a bit faster on the whole. Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous, funny and poignant read, from start to finish.

There is so much more to this story than meets the eye. Thanks to the explorations of community spirit, belonging, grief and hope there is so much more depth to it. The author writes about different kinds of relationship, digging deep into each of them, writing gentle and with understanding about love on different levels. It was a very comforting read, a hug in a book, so human and inviting, funny and poignant at the same time and it was a real joy to read it – highly recommended!
This was a really heart warming and uplifting read, perfect for a cosy, rainy afternoon with a cup of tea!
A heartwarming and sweet read, such a lovely story, it’s a book to read when you need a hug and some love. Great character community, I love it when I want to move to a place that doesn’t exist in reality (the characters etc anyway) A fantastic feel good read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
This is a heart-warming story about community and taking chances. The Littlest Library is a wonderful book to pickup if you're in need of a warm drink and a hug.

Jess loses her grandmother and then her job as a librarian and she's simply lost. Then she takes a chance on a charming cottage in a sleepy village and her journey begins. At the center of it all is her love for books and, like many books about books, The Littlest Library highlights what a wonderful impact books can have on a community. And also what an impact a sense of community can have on an individual.

This was a charming read with the tiniest hint of romance and it's left me dreaming of a stay in the countryside!
The Littlest Library by Poppy Alexander had me sold the minute I saw the cover and title! I have always loved the pictures I see over social media up and down the country with little community book swap points in little bird boxes and post boxes and it is something I would love to do if I had a front garden! Having a book which storyline looked to centre around this topic was a first for me so I was looking forward to a fresh new and exciting storyline.
After the death of her dear Grandmother and the loss of her job as a librarian, Jess Metcalf has to make some drastic changes in her life. Needing to sell their home and find a new job it is by chance on a casual drive out she stumbles on a quaint little village and her new life soon begins on a new path but little did she know that with her new home comes the responsibility of an old phone box which could provide her with an opportunity to still share her love of books with the community.
Quite simply this was such a sweet, light hearted and uplifting read that is full of community spirit and new beginnings. Jess has lived her life so close to her Grandmother that she has not quite found her true self so to move to a new home and start a new life with no one around her is a daunting task but she has such a warming nature and of course a love of reading which gives her the tools to interact and make new friends,
There is a love interest weaved in around the storyline that although was predictable it wasn’t without its bumps along the way which kept the excitement flowing. The comings and goings of the local community as they borrowed their books was wonderful to see and insightful to see what went into the running of the little library too.
My only little niggle was that I felt like the ending was a little rushed and ended abruptly but this could be because I was so invested in the storyline and characters, I just wasn’t ready to let them go.
This was a delightful fast paced book that I thoroughly enjoyed. Perfect novel for book lovers who are looking for something light heart and heart warming that is not to challenging and easy to pick up and put down, perfect for this years staycation!
After the demise of her beloved grandmother, life gets difficult for Jess Matcalf. Having been raised by her grandmother since a young age, she had cocooned herself in her grandmother's affection and their shared love of books. Now alone with grief, without a job, Jess moves out of her grandmother's house and lands herself a property on a scenic village by chance. The village once tightly knit, was starting to show loose threads. At first she is awestruck by the beauty and peace of the beautiful village but that wasn't all. Soon she is worried and doubtful, thinking if she will ever be able to make friends and add something to the village.

This book was a joyful read for me. The best thing about this book was how books had a direct impact on the lives of the village people. It healed woes covered under layers of time, it made them hopeful, it gave them voice and made friendships successful. Above all it connected them all. I loved the concept of The Littlest Library. The love between Jess and her grandmother, Mimi, was so touching and genuine. I loved how Mimi left little messages and notes in books and how they proved beneficial to Jess. Though it was little, the library opened up a multitude of possibilities for both Jess and the villagers. But I felt Jess and Aidan getting along was too sudden whereas I loved how Jess took her time to open up and make friends in the village.

Overall, this book is a refreshing and heartwarming story about books, life and family. I would definitely recommend this book.
Thank you Netgalley and Orion Publishing for this E-ARC.