Cover Image: The Littlest Library

The Littlest Library

A likeable, easy read about a main character, Jess who starts a new life in a village.  She sets up a small community library.  Some lovely descriptions, A sweet story but predictable.
Such a cute, fun story. Lovely read set in the cutest village. I loved the idea of the little library.
Absorbing and a lovely read
It may have been the littlest library but it was a big story! I want to live in Middlemass in a little cottage with all these wonderful people. Jess certainly took the right road when she found Ivy cottage. From making a heartfelt decision on her future Jess certainly finds community thrusted upon her when she is finds that buying the cottage comes with the responsilbility of providing a community purpose of an old red telephone box. From using her knowledge and store of books left by her grandmother, she becomes the heart and soul of the village whilst being befriended by some of the villagers. A heart warming tale, I didn't want to end. I especially loved the friendships that were created and that it didn't go down the boy and girl meet and fall in love immediately arc, it was about friendships, belonging and supporting each other.  Thank you for letting me read this, I look forward to sharing this with my book club and other book loving friends.
I really enjoyed this, I totally got lost in the beautiful village of Middlemas and I’m ready to move there. I do think the pacing was slightly off though, everything seemed to come together too quickly, and I hope there’s a sequel because it can’t just end there!!
Thanks to Orion and Netgalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Jess loves her ordered little life but when her grandmother passes away and she's thrown in to confusion.

What a lovely, light and heartwarming book.  I'd absolutely love to live in Middlemas and be able to visit the library!  This, for me, was one of those books I wanted to finish but at the same time I didn't want it to be finished as I didn't want my time in the village to be at an end.

I really hope there are more books to come!
This is such a gorgeous story that had me wanting more and more! It is the perfect bit of  escapism and the setting of the village just sounded lovely.

A great cast of characters and of course the Library sounded like so much fun!
A beautiful and heartwarming read!
Jess has recently lost her beloved Grandmother and her job at the local library. She finds herself alone and bereft. After a lifetime of playing it safe she takes a spontaneous drive in the countryside. She finds herself making a snap decision to buy an old cottage and starts a new life in small picturesque village. She also finds herself the owner of a red telephone box, she has with her the boxes of books from her grandmother and a duty to do something for the community with the telephone box. She turns it into the littlest library and it is a big hit with the community (well, most of the community)
Such an enjoyable read, although this is a story of loss it is also of finding your way. I loved how Jess’s Grandmother Mimi was at the centre of the story and how her books not only saved Jess but helped the whole community.  An uplifting and heartwarming story of friendship, community spirit, a touch of romance and books, What’s not to love!

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC and Orion Publishing Group.
The Littlest Library felt like a much-needed medicine in these times. It is cute, fun and has every little thing that makes us happy: friendship, love and feeling of belonging. I love the setting and the house and the library, of course! An adorable read.
This is such a sweet and lovely read. It is lighthearted and heartwarming and is a perfect read if you don't want anything too taxing.
As an ex-librarian I could relate to Jess and her job. It is  very sad that a lot of Libraries have closed down due to cuts. I definitely miss working with books so I admired Jess for setting up the Phone bax library, especially with her own books. I love reading books that feature books and libraries.
My books are very precious to me, and I don't think that I could be as altruistic as she was in lending out my own books. I had mixed feelings however about her Grandmother's messages in the books. On one hand, apart from my textbooks I don't like writing in books. On the other hand, the messages gave comfort to Jess, as well as the people who borrowed the books.
I don't think that this is a Romantic novel as such. I thought that it was more about Jess, starting anew and finding out what it was that she wanted to do with next her life. Friendship and community was a bigger theme than romance in my opinion.
I Live in a reasonably rural, countryside area.I have seen a few red telephone boxes that have been repurposed as a libraries. This book has inspired me to visit them after Lockdown, and maybe even donate some of my own books too.
I really enjoyed reading this book. This is the second book that I have read and enjoyed by Poppy Alexander. I will definitely be looking out for more books by her in the future.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for my ARC.
honestly anything with library in the title or blurb gets my attention straight away. i don’t usually read romance; i find it too soppy. but oh my god was this a beautiful read. it was lighthearted and it didn’t focus on the romance but the friendship within the village. i honestly spent the whole book rooting for jess and her happiness. it was such a fantastic book, i loved it!

thank you to netgalley and orion books for the advanced copy of this book.
Any person who loves books is bound to love this story about a village community that gets a small, unique library thanks to a collection of books in which the heroine's late grandmother highlighted inspiring quotes or added personal comments, and to the old telephone box that sort of came with the house she (Jess, the heroine) bought on an impulse. I haven't even used a library for years (French ones don't have the English books I want to read, anyway) and I've always thought that scribbling in a book was terribly wrong, but I still liked what was done with that in the story, how meaningful the books became to the people who borrowed them. I also liked the new friendships that Jess found in the village, and of course a little romance never hurts.
A lovely gentle book, about finding yourself, and bringing a community together.

Jess is a rather unassuming character, she is lacking in confidence, and is rather set in her ways and has what to others at least would be described as a rather small life, very few friends, doesn't do that much.  Then she loses her job and her grandmother Mimi dies and she ends up taking a long drive, and finds a house in a small village she can't resist purchasing.

Which is the catalyst for everything in her life changing and I loved seeing Jess evolve over the course of the book. Her character development is gradual but perhaps all the more realistic for it.  She unintentionally ends up as the hub of her new community, after setting up a small library in the telephone box outside her new home.

From that she starts to make friends, has a crush on someone although isn't sure whether she is brave enough to pursue romance, and starts to really feel quite happy.   It's not plain sailing at all, but I absolutely loved how she and the books get into the community, and the way she is pivotal to loads of positive changes in the villagers.

I really enjoyed the writing and the sentiments of the story.  It's just an all around pleasurable book to enjoy. and I found myself wishing I could be part of the community there myself.

Thank you to Orion and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
sometimes you don’t want to read something heavy and this book is absolutely perfect for it. A lighthearted but heartwarming read that makes you utterly fall in love with Jess and her journey
Please see LoveReading.co.uk for the full review of The Littlest Library. It has been chosen as a Liz Robinson Pick of the Month.
Jess Metcalf is perfectly happy with her quiet, predictable life - it's just the way she likes it. But when her beloved grandmother passes away and she loses her job at the local library, her life is turned upside-down.
Packing up her grandmother's books, she moves to a tiny cottage in a charming country village. To her surprise, Jess finds herself the owner of an old red telephone box, too - and she soon turns it into the littlest library around!
It's not long before the books are borrowed and begin to work their magic - somehow, they seem to be bringing the villagers together once more...
Maybe it's finally time for Jess to follow her heart and find a place to call home?
Wow! This is one of the most uplifting heart warming stories I have read in a while. Jess inherits the maintenance of a defunk telephone box when buying her 'perfect home'. Coupled with a grumpy neighbour, eccentric geriatrics this book holds the readers attention and is incredibly engaging! Great characters, beautiful story I absolutely loved it!
A lovely warm story of loss, friendships, community and romance set in the gorgeous village of Middlemas. Jess moves into Ivy Cottage, a slightly run down cottage after her grandmother dies and Jess loses her job at the local library. With her she brings ten boxes of her grandmother’s books which, after the local community meeting, she uses to fill the unused telephone box at the front of her home (which it turns out is her responsibility), into the village library. Gradually the library gains popularity and starts the process of bringing the community spirit back into the village and with it, Jess finds herself with a whole group of loyal and fun friends, as well as catching the eye of her neighbour, a single father with a twelve year old daughter and an ex wife who won’t take no for an answer!
Fun, warm and beautiful descriptions. I loved it.
Ok so I am not entirely sure that romance is the correct genre here, but boy did I enjoy this book!
The Littlest Library follows the story of Jess as she is beginning a new chapter in her life away from the house she grew up in. She unexpectedly finds a run-down old cottage for a low asking price and takes a gamble, and in doing so ends up falling head first into village life.
This is such a twee little story and I absolutely adored it! The characters, the setting and the plot were wonderfully created and stepping into the story felt as if you were a part of the village of Middlemass itself. I also loved the concept of exploring the backstory behind a telephone box library and I mean who doesn’t love a book about books?!
It felt so cosy and comforting that reading was the shared experience throughout this story and how it inevitably brought the village together was lovely to read about. The whole cast of characters were so realistic and felt as if you could meet them popping to the shop, and the slow burn romance was sweet but did feel like a side story despite this being branded as a romance.
Speaking of side stories there are a lot of different strands to this story which are revealed through each of the villagers. This really added to the atmosphere of the story for me and it allowed for Jess to bond with her neighbours bringing her closer to the community aspect of village life. Despite the large cast of character the different story threads were easy to keep up with and pulled you further into the story amongst them which added to the cosy vibes this story gave off and made for a very enjoyable reading experience.
If you are looking for a comforting story of friendship, unity and a shared love of reading then this story is definitely for you and I can’t recommend it enough.
Jess unfortunately looses her gran and her job, making her happy predictable life change, which she doesn’t want to happen. When she moves she finds she also has a cute little red phone box in which she also owns, which is perfect for a little library! What a great way to get the community together, a lovely feel good read.
Gosh what a lovely read. You felt for the main character Jess and Maisie. The village sounded perfect. I loved the use of books to pass on postive messages.. Mimi sounded a brilliant grandmother. The phone box sounded my kind of heaven. A fab read
I loved this. A novel that made me smile, cry a little and want to hug the main character and someone else in the book.... Poppy Alexander you have written a cute tale about a library I SO want to visit. It's full of warmth and great characters and I just love the messaged of how books bring joy and a sense of community.

Wonderful.