Cover Image: The Littlest Library

The Littlest Library

A gorgeous, romantic book, that will whisk you away to sunnier happier times. Make you forget what we are living through at the moment and pop a smile on your face as you sink into a lovely romance.
Jess embarks on a new adventure, completely shaking her whole lift upside down after the tragic loss of her beloved grandma Mimi. On a chance road trip, Jess stumbles across the beautiful village of Middlemass and makes the snap decision to purchase a slightly unloved picture postcard cottage.

After a short while of living in this small village, Jess embarks on transforming a unused phone box (which is situated on her land) into a tiny library using the books her grandma left her. She very quickly makes firm friendships and brings the community together through their love of literature.

This is such a lovely book about friendship, love and community spirit. It completely transported me to the picturesque village of Middlemass, so much so, I want to live there.

Thank you to NetGalley and Orion Publishing Group for letting me read this ebook.
It's fair to say that the majority of us don't want to rock the life 'boat' too much. As long as we have everything we need to continue, comfortably, it's just easier to continue, isn't it?
This is Jess. Living her life as she always has, with her librarian job, and her home with her beloved grandma.
She's had enough boat rocking, early on in life, so the smooth-sailing suits her fine.
Until her grandma passes away, leaving her alone in the world. Then her job goes.
She realises that its time to take the wheel, herself, and steer her life in a new, unknown direction
She ends up selling their home, and moving to a small village, buying a quaint, but ramshackle cottage, and setting into the close-knit community.
Here, she meets several locals and finds that a solitary phonebox, officially on her land, ends up binding her to the community, more than she could ever think possible.
Creating the Littlest Library in that red phone box ends up being something she is most proud of, but it's not until she's on the brink of losing it, and her new, near-idyllic life, that she realises that its time to embrace the new direction her life 'boat' has veered towards.
What a truly lovely story.
Jess is a dear woman, who has had her fair share of grief, and I was cheering for her, the whole way through the story. Her collection of books, which was actually curated by her grandma, ends up in the hands of many, bringing the joy only books can, but it was the little veiled messages that I loved. Pencilled in notes, and highlighted passages, that her grandma had marked in some of the books, that were only brought to her attention by the readers, as they borrow books, reading into the messages as if they were left for them, but in reality, for Jess.
And, of course, there is the romantic tension. Jess never envisioned herself settling down, so meeting a man so soon after arriving in the village doesn't even register on her radar... but, as will happen, she does meet someone, Someone with enough of their own baggage. Easier to steer clear... but that would be boring, wouldn't it?
I loved the other characters, from Hannah, the long-distance best friend, to Diana and Mungo, the eccentric members of the parish council, and Becky, a surrogate best friend. Oh, and, obviously, Aidan. bat-counting, tree surgeon, single dad, Aidan. That man.
All I know is that I want to find a little red phone box and turn it into a library... I'm quite possibly moving to that small village, soon... what are the odds?
Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Many thanks to NetGalley and Orion Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

A truly amazing read.

They say that good things come in small packages, that definitely can be said about this book.

The books that Jess had and put in the Littlest Library touched so many lives, even though Mimi, her grandmother was not around, she still managed to help Jess deal with her grief and find a new direction her new life.

Those messages that Mimi left in the books were meant for Jess to find, even though she found them through someone law through each book.

I absolutely as drawn into the lives of each character in the village. Hoping there’s another book soon to continue the story on Poppy Alexander.
Five of the biggest stars forThe Littlest Library! This book has all the right ingredients for the current time: a picturesque village, books destined to end up in the right hands and a parish Council at odds with each other. I thoroughly enjoyed spending some time with Jess and her phone box full of books.
A wonderful story of feeling hopeless and at odds with the world. Unexpectedly who knew that driving down the wrong road to miss the roadworks would lead you to your dream home, life and even a man. I loved the bonus of when buying a cottage you also buy an old telephone box that eventually becomes a library. That brings more than the pleasure of reading. A must read
I was always going to love a book with the title 'The Littlest Library', and this didn't disappoint. I loved reading about Jess's relocation to the country, the work she does on the cottage and its garden, the two kittens, bats, oh, and the telephone box library of course. I loved the fact that Mimi is a character in the book despite being dead, and the fact the messages she wrote in her books helped other people. As for the romance - very gentle. Loved the supporting characters. I do think the scenario with Aidan's daughter and how the mother was behaving, was not new. I've read books with similar plotlines recently. But other than that I really enjoyed this book. With thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Come in to this wonderfully amazing book, be transported to the wonderful village of Middlemass in Devon, and read all about the incredible Jess.  Very sadly, Jess has recently lost her much loved and adored grandmother Mimi who she misses immensely.  Jess has also, due to funding cuts, like many libraries lost her job when her local library closed.  Not only did Jess lose the job she loved, but she also lost her connection with people and books, talking about them, recommending books, and chatting about them all day long with those who also had a love of reading.  Jess absolutely adores reading and has so many cherished memories of reading with her grandmother and books they both loved and shared together.  Jess sells the home she shared with her grandmother Mimi as she feels she needs a fresh start and Mimi always taught her to be brave and challenge herself.  When Jess goes out one day, she takes what she thinks is a wrong turn in the road but it was the best turn she could have ever made and turned her life into the best ever!  She discovers an absolutely gem of a cottage for sale (despite the bats and mice!) which comes with a telephone box.  Jess snaps up Ivy cottage and her new life begins!  She turns the house into a home, she transforms the telephone box into a wonderful library where she very bravely places all her treasured books that Mimi left for her (and later discovering so many wonderful messages in the books which help Jess move forward).  Jess becomes so involved in the community, making new friends and getting involved in all the local events and becoming a star with her phone box library which changed her life!  Jess starts a new job working with the local schools as a librarian, organising events and doing everything she loves with books. Everyone loves Jess, she makes great friends with the super Diana and Beth and I loved the way her relationship with Aiden and his daughter Maisie developed.  I was rooting for them to get together from the start!

Jess is such a courageous lady who deserves the best.  It is not easy to start a new life in a completely different village where you do not know anyone but Jess did it!  Life in Middlemass is perfect for Jess and was the best wrong turn she could have ever made. Middlemass is where she belongs - it is her home, her future, her job, it is where her friends and support is. Her phone box library is going to be the most visited phone box in the UK!

Such a magical story. Absolutely brilliant book, loved it so much.  Will definitely read it again and again! Thank you for such a magnificent read.  An enormous 5 stars!
This was a nice easy read and although it was fairly predictable it felt safe and was something I was happy to get lost in on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I thought the characters were fun and interesting and they setting was perfectly described for me to be able to picture everyone going about their day.
What an amazing read. Good things come in small packages, that’s certainly true of the Littlest Library. Those books touched so many lives, and Mimi managed to still help Jess through her grief and navigate her new life. The messages that Mimi left in the books were for Jess to find, to help her, I don’t think she could have had any idea that Jess would be receiving those messages from a third party; who in turn benefited from those wise words. Simply magical.

The whole village drew me in and I really didn’t want to leave, I hope we get the visit there again soon.
The Littlest Library by Poppy Alexander is a wonderfully sweet and charming tale. Jess Metcalf is forced to rethink her life when she loses her job at the local library soon after the death of her beloved Grandmother Mimi, the woman who raised her following the tragic death of her parents when she was just a child. Upping sticks and moving to a small country village will give her time to re-evaluate and figure out what to do next. When she discovers that the charming cottage she buys comes with a now defunct telephone box she decides to create a little community library using the selection of her grandmother's books she kept, the ones that mean the most to her. Settling in and making friends can be difficult in a small community but the littlest library becomes something of a focal point and soon Jess is right at the heart of the community, and is falling for her next door neighbour despite getting off on something of a wrong foot.
This is such a sweet and heart warming book, yes it may be predictable , but sometimes that is exactly what you are looking for, a book that feels like a cosy blanket that you can wrap yourself in, and escape from the mundane realities of daily life. While the romance at the core of the book is lovely, I really enjoyed the friendships that Jess made with Beth and Daisy, two very different women, and the real sense of community that pervades through the book as a whole.
I read and reviewed an ARC courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher, all opinions are my own,
The Littlest Library - Poppy Alexander

Okay let's be honest...The cover got me! But I'm so pleased that it did!

A really lovely little book about new beginning's, community spirit (most of the time) books and a little bit of romance ( oh and Bats! ). This was such an easy read with great characters, I flew through it.

I really liked the new friendship's that Jess made with Diana and Beth, (two totally different characters from each other) I think this added more depth to the story as we found out about Diana's quirks and Beth's hankering to get back out into the working world. What I can say about the main hub of the story... the Telephone Library - just loved it, and all the little notes Jess finds from her Grandma in the books as time proceeds ( a lovely little touch)

Thank you so much NetGalley and Orion Publishing Group for giving me access to the e-Arc in return for an honest review
The book was enjoyable, and very easy to read. It’s about Jess moving to another town and making things work for her.
I loved this book! It's so sweet and lovely I felt as though I was right there with the characters, and wished I really was. The community sounded like such a lovely place and all the characters were well developed, and it was nice seeing each of their stories. There's no swearing or sex scenes so it's something the whole family can enjoy. My only wish is that the ending was longer or that it had an epilogue as the ending seemed to stop rather abruptly
Thanks to Orion and Netgalley for an early review copy of this book in return for an honest review.

It's only the beginning of her story...

Jess Metcalf is perfectly happy with her quiet, predictable life - it's just the way she likes it. But when her beloved grandmother passes away and she loses her job at the local library, her life is turned upside-down.

Packing up her grandmother's books, she moves to a tiny cottage in a charming country village. To her surprise, Jess finds herself the owner of an old red telephone box, too - and she soon turns it into the littlest library around!

It's not long before the books are borrowed and begin to work their magic - somehow, they seem to be bringing the villagers together once more...

Maybe it's finally time for Jess to follow her heart and find a place to call home?

I enjoyed this book, it was an easy and enjoyable read. The biggest compliment I could give it would be to say it reminded me a lot of Rachael Lucas's The Telephone Box Library which was highly lauded last year.

My favourite character was Diana, she was the fun older friend who kind of replaced Mimi in Jess's life - I loved her and she was exactly what Jess needed in her new home.

Overall a cheery easy read, perfect for lockdown times!
When I agreed to read this book, I had no idea what a treat I was letting myself into.  Filled with every emotion possible, The Littlest Library is one of the loveliest stories that I’ve read in some time.
Starting from a feeling of overwhelming grief, Jess finds the strength and the inspiration to move to a new village and start again.  The village, Middlemass, is in an area that evokes memories of her late grandmother, Mimi, and it’s this that leads to her discovery of a decommissioned telephone box and a real ‘fixer upper’ cottage.
The charm of this book is the gentle way that Jess manages to help her local community. Not just by providing a library service, but by offering friendship when her history is to keep herself, to herself.
Jess has a lack of self-belief and doesn’t see any of what others see in her.  In fact, as much as she helps the village, the real magic comes from seeing the effect that the small community has on her.  Jess leaves a life where her social life revolved around her, now deceased, grandmother and her best friend who has relocated to Australia.
This is one of those stories that gets under the skin; a beautiful tale which takes the reader on a journey of self-discovery and evokes a craving for a happy ending. I really enjoyed my escape to Middlemass, Devon has always been a destination that I wanted to discover.  A part of me has now visited.
This is such a feel good story, what can you not like about a beautiful sounding setting, a little romance and lots of books. I fell in love with this story about Jess who after losing the one person that mattered most to her, she moves away and ends up in a tiny little village with a very small community. Has she made the right decision? after finding out she is the owner of a quaint red telephone box, what better to turn it into a little library. It was amazing to see how it bought the community together and helped people in their time of need. It was lovely to read and heart warming. I wonder if there will be another book.
Clicked on this on a whim, not expecting to be selected.  However I was pleasantly surprised.  Easy reading (2 nights and and 30 mins finish in bed on Sunday morning).

The story of Jess losing her old life and moving blindly to Devon is a tried and tested tale, however I did like the friends she made and was secretly happy Beth came from Aberdeen and not the central belt (Aberdeen born and now living in a village in the Shire).

All in all an enjoyable read, be good on holiday or an afternoon in the garden.  Will seek out other books by this author.
This is an assured story, appealing to lovers of romance chick lit, and with a nice emphasis on different families. As a previous Mini owner who loves books I enjoyed the touches of eccentricity in the heroine and her obvious loneliness was nicely written without being too mawkish. I also loved the bats. Formulaic perhaps, but no less enjoyable. A nice bit of escapism.
The story of Jess, who is having to start over after losing her grandmother, her job and then selling the house she has always lived in. She chances upon a cottage in a small village, and ends up buying it. She is talked in to opening the littlest library in the old phone box outside the front of the cottage and starts to make new friends in the village. But will this be her forever home and what is happening with neighbour Aiden?