Cover Image: Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy

Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy

**ARC provided by NetGalley for honest review**

Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy by Wook-Jin Clark wasn't really meant for me, I think. It came across a bit patronizing and was filled with platitude-like suggestions for being mindful of others. Nice advice, but nothing I wasn't raised to know. The genre was described as humor, but I found nothing funny in this short comic book that sounded like it was written for children. I will say, however, that the raw egg character, Gudetama himself, was pretty cute.
Gudetama, the adorably lazy egg, gives readers a visual crash course on mindfulness, encouraged by his far more energetic friend Nisetama.

This is a cute introduction to the very basics of mindfulness in a very easy to read format as Nisatama accompanies Gudetama around town. Information is presented in bite-sizes interactions with people around town. Sometimes the lessons stick, and some do not, but the conclusions are easy enough to draw.

The vignettes do feel a little disjointed due to their short nature. If you are looking for a comprehensive guide to mindfulness, this is not for you - but if you want an easy to read look at the basics, this is an entertaining option.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley; all opinions are my own.
Gudetama is a lazy egg who gives advice. In this book, Gudetama gives people advice on how to be mindful. This includes how to treat others, how to stay organized, and how to live selflessly.

This was such a cute book. Gudetama is an adorable, lazy egg, who likes to sleep in his shell. Gudetama and his friend Nisetama help people with problems in their daily lives, such as balancing their workload or mending relationships with friends.

This was a fun book on life advice for kids and adults.

Thank you Oni Press for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
If you’re looking for a cute and fun comic about how to be mindful, this is a great comic for you! This short read delivers the same cute artwork I always see for Gudetama on top of the same sense of humor I’ve come to expect from Wook-Jin Clark. Because of this, I was not surprised to see fun and vibrant panels full of beautiful artwork for the entire book.

The book has a great message that’s great for young adults and anyone who missed learning what it is to be mindful while growing up or otherwise are unaware how expansive it can be. While I think the book is geared toward young adults, I would say it’s probably best for middle to high school ages in addition to adults due to some of the artwork. I also think it'd make a great gift for any fan of Gudetama as well as any adult who needs a lesson on mindfulness, empathy, and what it means to compromise so that everyone is happy.
So I love the character Gudetama so much.  What's not to love about a lazy, napping fried egg that dispenses mindfulness advice despite his apathy?  The comic itself, while it does cover tips on being positive, empathic, and in the moment, also feels way too pat.  Problems are dispensed of in the space of a speech bubble, and it's hard to get a feel for any depth of the tips and techniques.  Love the art and the wacky main characters, but the lessons themselves weren't enough to make this a great book.
My students love Gudetama. This book hits right at home with them right now. Being home for corona virus has shown them that they can be lazy sometimes.
This was a truly enjoyable read for fans of Gudetama and his overall vibe. There's a lot of wonderful gems in this book and I"m particularly interested in seeing some of my younger family members read this book and find a lot to love about this iconic character.
Overall, an adorable and fun read that fans of Gudetama would definitely enjoy with a pretty decent message behind it. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the shorter side so it is over when it feels like it has just begun.
That squishy adorable lazy yellow egg Gudetama is at it again. This time he's here to help you become a better person, well sort of........
It's not easy to be selfless it's something we have built in for survival . Gudetama will help you overcome your struggle and learn how to become selfless. Informative and helpful.

Pub Date 06 Apr 2021
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
'Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy' with stories and art by Wook-Jin Clark brings back the lazy Sanrio egg with more questionable advice.

For those not familiar, the short comics here are like advice column questions with Gudetama providing sometimes questionable advice.  This time around, Gudetama helps us learn about personal zones.  There is also a worker who needs to figure out how to focus on the task at hand. A woman faces an ethical choice when she finds a phone, and Gudetama solves a fight between two pet lovers.

The comics are bright and fun.  Gudetama is grouchy and lazy.  The advice seems mostly about being mindful of others and giving ourselves a break, which is not a bad set of lessons.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Oni Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
My thanks to Oni Press for a digital copy via NetGalley of ‘Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy” written and illustrated by Wook-Jin Clark in exchange for an honest review.

From publishers: “Mindfulness takes a lot of mental energy to wrap your brain around. Gudetama is here to help you become a better person...sort of.”

Before reading this little self-help comic I had not heard of Gudetama aka Lazy Egg. Apparently Gudetama is a Japanese cartoon character created by Sanrio. In this guide to mindfulness Gudetama is helped by Nisetama, a mysterious human who dresses in an orange unitard. He seems very cheerful and appears to dance through life. I really liked Nisetama.

The artwork is very bright and colourful and very amusing.

Overall, this comic was extremely cute and expressed a heartwarming message. While I have heard about mindfulness I hadn’t really looked into it. I expect in this I have been somewhat lazy, so I was an ideal reader for this short, accessible introduction to the subject.
Gudetama is adorable with his egg white blanket and his little butt cheeks. This book is a series of comic strips about living mindfully, featuring the little lazy egg and his friend. I really liked the art, and this book made me smile. The advice is very simple, and it is presented in a humerous way. I particularly liked the message that you can't control other peoples' behaviour but that you can change how you let it affect you.

I would probably recommend this book for teenagers. I didn't learn anything new from reading it, but it was enjoyable and had some good reminders on how to live more mindfully.
I love, love, love Gudetama. They are my spirit animal. Knowing this character from visiting Japan a few years ago, I wasn’t aware of any publications available outside of Asia, so I was over the moon to be able to read this.

So beautifully illustrated, having that kawaii Japanese look, it went through many situations and questions people have about mindfulness and being a good person. Short snippets were answered by our little lazy egg friend and his buddy.

Some were more relatable than others, it probably would work best for the younger audience, anywhere between 6-21, I would say.

I highly recommed this!
I am a big fan of Gudetama, aka the Lazy Egg, and feel this kawaii anthropomorphic being is not only my spirit animal but is also a great way to relay the message about the importance of mindfulness to a wider audience. Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy is a short graphic novel or comic featuring different vibrant, eye-catching scenes in which our favourite sarcastic yolk whose only wish is to be left alone to nap under his comforting bacon blanket, presents a wise and straightforward motto to live by - ”don't be a butt”.

Gudetama’s friend Nisetama, who resembles a grown man wearing a yolk yellow bodysuit, encourages him to embark on an adventure around the city to learn many simple yet valuable lessons. The lessons include the importance of staying in the moment, mindfulness on social media, how to empathise with others, compassion, setting boundaries, time management, respecting yourself and others, self-care, self-love, organisation, mental health, how to be more selfless and fearless and cutting negative influences out of your life.

Wook-Jin Clark’s illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to the sequences, and its useful but basic advice cuts out the noise and filler and presents the scenarios in a humorous and easily understandable fashion for both adults and children alike. Colourful and engaging, this 48-page book reminds us that it’s important to listen to others, but also to yourself, and understand other people's feelings. Be yourself, live in the present, and treat others as you would like to be treated. Highly recommended.
I was given this as an uncorrected digital proof/ARC through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. In this graphic novel, Nisetama and Gudetama go on a learning and teaching adventure about what mindfulness means with the overall conclusion basically being to live in the present, practice self care, and don’t be a “butt”. It’s cheery and focuses on the brighter sides of life without promoting toxic positivity. This is my general takeaway from what’s covered:

* Mindfulness:
    * Living in the present, saying hello to connect with others - opening up to others without needing a reason why

* Self-awareness:
    * Knowing where you are in relation to others (be mindful of personal space)

* Previsualization:
    * Hit pause to recharge when stressed out and unfocused - build it into your schedule

* Do the things the way you would want them done - regardless of if the world would do the same for you

* Sometimes it helps to back up from a heated conversation to acknowledge the common ground (dogs vs cats - they’re both loveable pets)

* The meanings of sympathy and empathy.

* If you’re not good at remembering things, set yourself reminders

* Know how much of something you need and always try to take that much - not more and not less

* Try to look at something from many angles before saying something

* Even when being mindful of what you say aka don’t be a butt

* When dealing with problematic people, you don’t have to answer them. You can block them, not respond, or chose to respond

* Napping is a form of self care

The one thing that I wish they’d covered more deeply is that it’s okay to have down/sad moments. This crops up in a few of the other stories, but it didn’t get its own dedicated limelight.

If you’re a fan of Gudetama, you’ll probably want to pick this book up.
I would like to thank Oni Press and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
_________________________

Staying cooped up in your headspace all the time, although tempting, is not healthy for you. So, what should one do if not agonize over a something embarrassing that you’ve done x years ago, or overthink and worry about the distant unknown future?

Enter mindfulness.

To be mindful is to live in the present. A trembling egg yolk called Gudetama, who is a fellow lazy newbie, and his friend Nisetama take us on a journey to explore this concept by interacting with different characters and helping them out with their plights. The duo helps an overworked man find ways to combat stress and anxiety and aids a chronically late person in becoming a friend one can depend on, and so on.

Gudetama: Mindfulness for the Lazy is made up of short comic strips which make it easy to read and put down needed. The art style is pleasant to look at, Gudetama is cute and relatable. My only complaint is that sometimes the breaks between the comic stories are not clear enough – the small ‘’end.’’ scribbled in the bottom right corner tends to blend with the background.

This comic book is by no means a comprehensive guide to practicing mindfulness and improving your mental health, but in my opinion it’s a nice humorous introduction and would be an amazing gift to receive. Take it with a pinch of salt, though, because as a certified lazy person and clearly the target audience, I may be a little biased here.
I love the quirky illustrations - Gudetama is so cute, I could look at pictures of him all day.

The stories of the comics are a bit uneven. Some are funnier than others, and some are a bit bland. The title of the book is Mindfulness for the Lazy but the connection to mindfulness is not always obvious to me.

Some of the jokes seem to be meant for adults and some of the stories seem educational for the kids so it's hard to decide who to recommend this book for. Maybe it doesn't matter: Adults can read it for the kids and they can both agree that Gudetama is very very cute.
In a world full of noise, it is so much more challenging to be mindful and to live in the present. This comic may have started a bit silly and almost childish for me but I found a number of really useful advice and reminders of things that should have been basic but I tend to forget a lot.

I can easily see this as a big help to young people that are just starting to explore the world and meet new acquaintances. It can be pretty overwhelming to be online 24/7 and to have all this information, all these possible connections to anyone in the world. It’s a constant feed of ever-changing moods and memes. It is very easy to get sucked into a hive mind–which oftentimes can be more dangerous than beneficial. The act of mindfulness will save us from this struggle.
This is a very cute and fun read, I would recommend this to anyone who loves Gudetama or Sanrio characters. The artwork was too cute and
This was an okay book for me. While I appreciated what the author wanted to tell through this book and show ways to be a better person, I didn't fully enjoy this book. The artwork is also not that phenomenal but it's alright. I think that younger audiences will enjoy this book much more than me!