Cover Image: Look What You Made Me Do

Look What You Made Me Do

I whizzed through this book - it was quite tense all the way through. The two sisters involved one had a lying husband , one an abusive husband. . Loved reading this book - the ending was not what I was expecting  definitely worth a read.
A decent domestic thriller with tension and suspense in dollops. I enjoyed this book and would recommend to others. I was attracted by the title and cover but the contents delivered.  I’ll look out for more books by this author. Potential.
Look what you made me do - Nikki Smith

Having experienced sibling rivalry I feel for Caroline and Jo. In the end they were there for each other, but it shouldn’t have taken the bad things they experienced for it to be that way, and yes Rob “deserved it.”
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
I enjoyed Nikki’s debut, All In Her Head, so jumped at the chance to read and review an advance copy of her second book.

Again, Nikki has written about difficult domestic situations realistically and sensitively.

Jo and Caroline are sisters. They have never been close, always competing for their parents love. Their father has just died bringing them together for the funeral and to sort out their fathers estate. 70% of the family business is now owned by Jo which has not gone down too well and she is under pressure to sell it.

It looks from the outside that the sisters have happy comfortable lives, but no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Caroline is married to the most hideous man who abuses her both physically and mentally. She has hidden this from everyone apart from her 19 year old son who has gone travelling to Bali to get away from his father. Jo suspects her husband is facing an affair, and one of her young daughters seems particularly affected by her grandfathers death.

The story is told from the points of view of Jo and Caroline but we also have a third, unknown narrator who keeps popping up to discuss their feelings for someone.

Great thriller I devoured in a few sittings. Nikki has quickly become one of my must read authors.

Thank you to Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley for an advance copy to review. Book published 1/4/21
This book welcomes you in and keeps you firmly in the story right from the start. When Jo and Paul's daughter Livvi is missing after school one day, the parents fear the worst when they see their shed on fire at the bottom of the garden.

But.....

Go back a few weeks to discover the family dynamics of Jo and her family, and her sister Caroline and her husband Rob. The sister's have just lost their Dad and his will throws out some surprise. The sisters were divided before his death and even more so now.

Jo is convinced that Caroline and Rob have the perfect marriage, but all is not what it seems. Rob is not a nice husband, and Caroline needs to escape like her son has, but can never get away.
Jo is suspicious of her husband thinking he is having an affair, and worried about her daughter's coping with the loss of their Grandad.

The book is really well written, all coming together very quickly at the end with a great bit of writing that I didn't spot coming.
A story of sibling rivalry, the after effects of losing a parent and so much more.

Jo & Caroline are sisters, they have never really got on.  Jo always felt that her Mum preferred Caroline and Caroline always felt Jo was their Dad’s favourite.  After recently losing their father, the two sisters seem to be drifting even further apart, especially when it is discovered that their Dad changed his will just before his death.

The book is mainly about the families of the two sisters and how they all try and cope with the loss of their father, as well as dealing with their troublesome marriages.  But there is more going on beneath the surface that we start to discover as the book goes on.  Can the two sisters ever trust each other and be there for each other ?

This is a great family drama with some aspects of a psychological thriller.  It is a book that will have you hooked from the start and you will become entangled in the lives of Jo & Caroline, as if you are there with them.

Thank you to Orion Publishing and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
This was overall a good book hence why I gave it a 4 star but it just wasn't the best. I enjoyed the book but found it for the most part very long for what it needed to be and had alot of extra writing pieces which weren't needed it. The plot twist was fantastic though. I liked the characters and the plot twists.
It was a really great story about sibling rivalry and hidden secrets. This book was great and I felt I couldn't put it down. Some great characters and some really loathsome ones too. Brilliant.
Sisters game playing of who is the favourite of the family. taking it in "turns" of who is accepted and which is the black sheep. Highly recommended thriller.
Great title, not sure of it’s relevance to the story but eye catching and memorable none the less
2 Sisters
Jo and Caroline
Both with problem husbands, both grieving for their Dad and both battling with a Mum who can apply lipstick meticulously in even the gravest circumstances
And basically the book charts their current lives, how they don’t get on, how their father’s death and his will have torn them further apart and how they are going to solve all these and their many other problems
A warning, Caroline has an evil husband, his mental abuse of her is not just loathsome it’s repugnant, I wanted to go and rescue her myself ( and couldn’t at times understand why she didn’t ask for help ) he is vile and upsetting and pushes the boundaries of even the nastiest of characters
The  book does go on a bit and at times you wonder what you are doing there in their lives ( and wonder wether to leave them to it ) and drama and sigh a sigh of relief when something moves on and a bit of the story is resolved
But then it’s also a mainly good descriptive read and finishes with a more than satisfying thump of an ending

7/10
3.5 Stars
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and could not put it down, I was drawn into the story from page one .and read it in one sitting x
Wow oh Wow! What a book! Where do I possibly begin with this one? This is a really hard review to write without giving away any spoilers. The book is absolutely fantastic and Smith has definitely put another masterpiece into the world with this one.
This is action packed and instantly grabs your attention. We start off with a missing child, which fills you with horror from the very start. Smith takes the reader on a journey throughout this book. I have been completely captivated and felt the emotions of the funeral and the tension from the complicated family dynamics which are clear in this one.
Rob is a character who has made me uncomfortable, he is extremely controlling and is central to a rather toxic relationship. We hear how the marriage is filled with tension and fear and Rob comes across as a huge man baby. I despise how he treats Caroline and really feel for her being afraid of the man she is married to. As a reader, I have been shocked at him leaving marks on Caroline while she is asleep.
Jo is the odd one out of the three women central to the plot of this book. This is more apparent after the shocking revelation left by her father. The divide between the women is clear and is definitely a journey for the reader.
I love how atmospheric this novel has been, the tension and suspense are evident throughout and I have been completely captivated by this story. This is a novel centred on secrets, manipulation and toxic relationships.
I have literally held my breath for several pages and wanted to shout at Smith because I couldn't predict what was coming next. This book is a masterpiece, highly deserving of all the stars and one I most definitely recommend.
I have read Nikki Smith’s first novel All in her head, so I was interested to read her second novel Look what you made me do.
Look What you made me do is about rivalry between two sisters Caroline and Jo. They have never been close. Always trying to get the upper hand between one another. Competing the love of their parents.  But their own lives are not as perfect. One has a cheating husband and the other is abusive. But they keep it to themselves never telling each other their uttermost secrets.
When their father dies, and Jo is left seventy percent of the family business. Caroline tries to step in with her mother and persuade Jo to sell the family business. Not telling the real reasons why they wants her to do that.
Thank you, Orion, for a copy of Look what you made me do. I liked the premise of this gripping story, but I found that there was a lot going on in this. There was so many different leads which for me personally I find in some instances quite confusing. But only in the last twenty percent of the story it suddenly becomes clear. It is still worth a read.
I really enjoyed this authors first book, and was really keen to see what she came up with next. Look What You Made Me Do is as clever and intriguing as I hoped.
Nikki Smith writes relatable, believable characters and tense dynamics. I was biting my nails and hoping that the two main characters (sisters Jo and Caroline) found a way to understand and help each other.
It is not easy to tackle the topic of an abusive relationship but the descriptions of coercive control and physical abuse were powerful and well done. It is obvious that the author has done her homework.
I would definitely recommend this book and thank the author, her publisher and #NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an early copy.
Gripping and Dark - I really enjoyed following the story of the unfolding lives of sisters Jo and Caroline.

'Sisters Jo and Caroline are used to hiding things from each other. They've never been close - taking it in turns to feel on the outside of their family unit, playing an endless game of favourites.

'Jo envies Caroline's life - things have always come so easy to er. Then a family inheritance falls entirely to Jo, and suddenly now Caroline wants what Jo has. Needs it, even.
But just how far will she go to get it?'

I really enjoyed how the story was told from 2 different perspectives and it was carefully unfolded with just enough detail per chapter to keep the plot flowing and the pages turning quickly! I felt like I was holding on to the secrets of each character whilst screaming at the others that they don't know everything! A true display that you really don't know what goes on behind closed doors and inside the mind.

The plot was intricately thought out and well paces and explores close family relationships around turmoil, loss, and tragedy.

This was my first read of Nikki Smith, I have the other on my kindle and won't hesitate to get started on it, I can't wait to see more from this Author in the future too.
Have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and liked the way the author described each character, so that you got a sense of who they were. This book is a mild suspense thriller about sibling rivalry and the extended family during a grief stricken time.. Misunderstandings from the past between parents who have taken sides, a family business caught up in it all two husbands who aren't what they appear to be.  Look What You Made Me Do, was an enjoyable read and I've put Nikki Smith's debut book ALL IN HER HEAD on my to read wish list.

I'd like to thank Net Galley and Orion publishing Group for giving me the chance to read and review this fabulous book.
Nikki Smith has done it again. An intricately plotted psychological thriller showing us that what we believe to be the truth is only the public facade and we can never truly know what goes on behind closed doors when the mask slips.

We meet sisters Jo and Caroline who have never been particularly close. Each had their own secrets and heartache to endure but both feel the other has the perfect life. This story strips away the layers upon layers of perceptions and untruths until you get to the heart of the story, Their father leaves a huge inheritance to Jo and will this bring the sisters closer as they learn why or tear them apart irrevocably?

We weave between the sisters point of view and an unknown third person. Touches on many difficult subjects and just how far we would go to protect the ones we love.

Thank you to Orion Publishing Group and Netgalley  for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Nikki Smith’s second novel is another outstanding psychological thriller. Exploring the secrets we keep, the dark side of family relationships and evil hidden behind the perfect illusions we create. It’s a tense and engaging read that will keep you turning the pages until you discover just what’s going on.

Jo and Caroline are sisters who have never got on well. Jo has a strained relationship with her mother, Caroline feels like her father favours Jo. After their father dies, the sisters and their respective families will be forced to face the deepest of secrets they have kept from each other. Does anyone know the truth about their supposed nearest and dearest?

Smith has returned with another gripping novel, which is a perfect blend of tension, drama and thrills. “Look What You Made Me Do” is a brilliant exploration of the darkness that hides in the shadows cast by the illusion of perfection that we all like to display. Each member of this family has something they are keeping from the others. The narrative simmers with the tension of these secrets and the atmosphere Smith has created is as taut as piano wire. The plot is a complex, multi-faceted concoction of psychological drama, mystery and harrowing tension that is constructed perfectly. Each individual storyline is woven together so intricately, culminating in the heart racing final sequences. I was gripped from the first page of the prologue - which sucked me immediately into the plot - and it was so satisfying when the story came full circle to wrap up these opening moments.

This is a story that offers so much more than the standard domestic noir/thriller. As we as exploring the shiny veneer that we gloss over our lives and what happens when the cracks begin to appear, go unchecked and splinter into non-repairable fissures, it’s a story about the toxicity of family relationships and marriage. We all know that families and marriages hold secrets, but Smith has adeptly layered these to build them into a monumental triumph of suspense. As well as creating darkness and despair, “Look What You Made Me Do” is also a novel of resounding redemption and female empowerment. Told from both Jo and Caroline’s perspectives, the journey these two women take during the course of the narrative is fascinating, compelling reading. I found this format worked really well, as I felt as a reader that I was privy to the inner workings and deepest secrets of all of the characters relationships. Smith also includes some sections from another anonymous voice, which really add to the mystery of the plot. I enjoyed trying to work out how they fit into the story and could not guess!

I loved this novel and highly recommend it to fans of family dramas and thriller fiction. I can’t wait to read what comes next from this fantastic author!
You’ll be riveted by the new psychological suspense from Nikki Smith – a gripping gut-punch of a novel . . .

Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley. I absolutely loved her debut last year and she seems to have a theme of writing about topics that have impacted me personally.

I whizzed through this last night in one go . Her writing has the ability to draw you in and capture your imagination pretty quickly.

This focuses on the bonds between the family and the secrets we keep for ourselves and others.

Nikki writes with talent and sensitivity around difficult topics and again very accurately from personal experience.

Incredibly gripping and tense psychological thriller. Thought provoking and you will question what would i have done?

I look forward to reading more from this author and wish her every success with this book.

Published 8th march in ebook and 1st april in hardback.